Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

On a similar note I couldn't give a f.uck about Katie Taylor. I mean fair play to her and all that but it's no big deal really. Just because she's a woman (allegedly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Neeson wrote: »
    On a similar note I couldn't give a f.uck about Katie Taylor. I mean fair play to her and all that but it's no big deal really. Just because she's a woman (allegedly).

No, it's because she won a gold medal. Which for Ireland IS a big deal to a lot of people.

Sea Filly wrote: »
    No, it's because she won a gold medal. Which for Ireland IS a big deal to a lot of people.

Ah I know yeah. But just couldn't care less about her. I suppose it's kind of great but all the auld news and hype is just pure rubbish really. Why bother your arse travelling a distance just to welcome her home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

This one's unpopular with most right now:

John Joe Nevin is a just a country knacker. For the whole nation to be so proud that he's been in that many bare-knuckle boxing matches in the sticks that he's able to beat the crap out of a few fighters is a complete joke :D

Why is it not allowed to call someone a knacker? Is it a no-go or so? Just asking because I like to use the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why is it not allowed to call someone a knacker? Is it a no-go or so? Just asking because I like to use the word.

Because the young man he was referring to is a Traveller and it's against the grounds of discrimination to use that word in connection with that particular group.

From the very first post in the AH Charter:

Zero tolerance will be shown to posts containing racism or discrimination. This includes the travelling community. Please do not use this forum to incite hatred.

• Advertisement

Isn't knacker referring to a place to kill useless horses. I suppose people say travellers are knackers because they think they are dirty scum who serve no use to society except messing it up and should all be taken out and shot.

That's probably why it isn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I reckon Sonia O'Sullivan's silver medal in Sydney is worth far more than Katie Taylor's gold in boxing.

I'd even go as far as saying making an Olympic track final is a greater achievement than a boxing medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I reckon Sonia O'Sullivan's silver medal in Sydney is worth far more than Katie Taylor's gold in boxing.

I'd even go as far as saying making an Olympic track final is a greater achievement than a boxing medal.

You don't understand medal rankings or the value of precious medals and don't respect boxing as a sport. Do you know anything about boxing? It's grand having an opinion but it helps if you know anything about the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Omackeral wrote: »
    Because the young man he was referring to is a Traveller and it's against the grounds of discrimination to use that word in connection with that particular group.

From the very first post in the AH Charter:

Zero tolerance will be shown to posts containing racism or discrimination. This includes the travelling community. Please do not use this forum to incite hatred.

That's fair enough and I agree that racism and discrimination should be infracted. But I don't really understand why it is intolerable to call one group of people a name whereas it is accepted to call others the same. I mean, you often hear people referring to people on the dole etc as knackers who just get up at noon etc without getting infracted. Should it not rather be banned like other expressions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'd go as far as saying that you're only trying to stir the shit with that comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Shryke wrote: »
    You don't understand medal rankings or the value of precious medals and don't respect boxing as a sport. Do you know anything about boxing? It's grand having an opinion but it helps if you know anything about the subject.
    I hold athletics in higher regard than boxing, yes, I'll make no apologies. That's nothing to do with respect or lack of. In a similar manner I'd regard a medal won in boxing above one in dressage, modern pentathlon or sailing.

I prefer the concept of a first past the line, clear winner as opposed to the subjective nature of boxing judges, and stories like the following
    Last year Newsnight spoke to Olympic boxing insiders who alleged London 2012 medals could be bought.

We were told $9m had been paid from Azerbaijan to the international boxing authorities in return for two golds.

The International Boxing Authority (AIBA) denied any wrong doing. The IOC found no formal evidence of cash for medals as it stands.

However, some of the results over the last few days have raised some serious questions about the scoring system.

Eyebrows were first raised last Wednesday when Azerbaijan fought Japan.

The Azeri bantamweight Magomed Abdulhamidov won the match despite going down six times in the final round.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19212567
    Nodin wrote: »
    I'd go as far as saying that you're only trying to stir the shit with that comment.
    :rolleyes: Missing the point of an "unpopular opinions" thread.

Anyway people are only getting offended because we have a gold medal winner. Seems that puts certain sports above criticism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I prefer the concept of a first past the line, clear winner as opposed to the subjective nature of boxing judges, and stories like the following

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19212567

Of all the routes to go down......

Here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_performance-enhancing_drugs_in_the_Olympic_Games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You can still be criticized for your opinion Jim. She's one of the greatest boxers we've ever produced and she's getting the recognition she deserves for it. It would be naive to think that bribery and cheating doesn't touch other events aside from boxing.

Saying that the Katie Taylor thing is ****-stirring? I'd think it's unpopular to not give a hoot about Katie Taylor. Seems to be some big love in with her at the moment. If Sonia won gold I doubt it would have been as crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Omackeral wrote: »

Yup I shouldn't have said that sorry, it's one of those terms me and my friends would throw around at the drop of a hat but I do realise it might be hurtful to some people and thats not cool.

If it's used but not in relation to the travelling community that's okay? I think I'll just steer clear of it completely in future :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Unpopular opinion: A lot of Irish schools work in oppistion to a childs true potential. For a while we had children going to university based on parental wealth rather than an inherent intelligence. Schools need to stop dumbing down material.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

"Yer man"? That was Liam Gallagher, the guy who originally sang it!

I'm not a fan of Oasis, I like a few of their songs but they're complete cockends imo, like a pair of angsty teenagers those two.

And it still sounded sh1ite, regardless of who sang it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Jaffa Cakes taste like muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Saying that the Katie Taylor thing is ****-stirring? I'd think it's unpopular to not give a hoot about Katie Taylor. Seems to be some big love in with her at the moment. If Sonia won gold I doubt it would have been as crazy.

It would have been. Gold in the women's 5k, a marquee event at the Track and Field. At the moment Women's boxing doesn't have that kind of prestige imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ROFLcopter wrote: »
    I think all the people in social housing should pay the household tax. How many fúcking waivers do these nutters want!? Free healthcare, free this, fúcking waiver for that.....grow up and get a JOB.

Most people in social housing do work

The rent is a percentage of their income

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Jaffa Cakes taste like muck.

Boycott Israeli produce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Washing your hands after the toilet, I do to be sociable, but I really don't see the point. Very few people actually do it properly and if one doesn't do it right that negates everyones else washing their hands.

First you come from the toilet with supposed germ loaded soiled hands, then you turn on the tap, you was your hands you turn off the tap re contaminating your hand, then you go to the dryer and open the door with that contaminated hand.

Then if you do do it right you just get contaminated by the last person who didn't at the door exit.

I know how the world of infection works and its not about the volume of infection its about the medium they are transfered to.

So washing your hands after the loo is pointless, but do it anyway.

Colmustard wrote: »
    So washing your hands after the loo is pointless, but do it anyway.

Exactly. People do things like licking assholes and don't worry about a piece of feces. Why wash your hands after using the toilet?

Besides, if you spread a bit of the disease eventually people will become immune.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

stepbar wrote: »
    Sean Quinn is a crook (expressed as an opinion in a pub in Fermanagh / Cavan).

Hardly an unpopular opinion......

vader65 wrote: »
    Hardly an unpopular opinion......

I think it is for people in Cavan/Fermanagh who seem to think he's a great guy in a "he fixed the roads sort of way". Doesn't matter what else he done. He made jobs, etc.

Amy Winehouse was a wasted musician who was vastly overrated!!!

I think it is for people in Cavan/Fermanagh who seem to think he's a great guy in a "he fixed the roads sort of way". Doesn't matter what else he done. He made jobs, etc.

well.... the same could be said for Bono and the rest of U2 that robbed Ireland out of millions of pounds in tax.....

vader65 wrote: »
    well.... the same could be said for Bono and the rest of U2 that robbed Ireland out of millions of pounds in tax.....

I suppose it could yeah. Most people (probably a lot of Dubliner's included) seem to think Bono's a prick though so it's not really an unpopular opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I think that the new procedure of awarding 25 points to students who pass honours maths in the Leaving is further sign of the dumbing down of modern society. While I'm all for giving students the incentive to attempt a more challenging series of questions, I think the new policy is unfair towards students from previous years who may have missed out on their desired CAO course by a matter of a few points. For example, if I was awarded an extra 25 points for passing honours maths six years ago, I wouldn't have missed out on my desired course, and so wouldn't have chosen an Arts degree course I didn't have the heart for, and in turn still wouldn't have resentment from my mother for dropping out from said course.

I blame the popularity of reality TV for the increasing "dumbing down" of our secondary school educational programme

• Advertisement

I think that the new procedure of awarding 25 points to students who pass honours maths in the Leaving is further sign of the dumbing down of modern society. While I'm all for giving students the incentive to attempt a more challenging series of questions, I think the new policy is unfair towards students from previous years who may have missed out on their desired CAO course by a matter of a few points. For example, if I was awarded an extra 25 points for passing honours maths six years ago, I wouldn't have missed out on my desired course, and so wouldn't have chosen an Arts degree course I didn't have the heart for, and in turn still wouldn't have resentment from my mother for dropping out from said course.

I blame the popularity of reality TV for the increasing "dumbing down" of our secondary school educational programme

Yeah, but things move on. Priest used to beat up children. That doesn't happen anymore (we don't think). Auld wans hardly think young wans should get leathered because they did back in the day.

But I do think the 25 points thing is a load of nonsense. Sure the points for popular courses will go up even more so and that defeats the purpose really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement