Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

speaking about TV shows...

I don`t get Game of Thrones.
    It should be something I love (Fantasy, Epic in Scale, HBO production), but ive tried watching it multiplte times and it really is a pile of ****e.

Awful dialogue, hammy acting, reminded me of a something Peter Kay would do in the 13th century.

But there's tits.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

retalivity wrote: »
    I don`t get Game of Thrones.
    Ditto R. Don't get it at all.

Harry potter completely passes me by. Pissing about with wands looks daft even with tens of millions of CGI money thrown at it. Its internal reality is odd too. Grand if you're a kid, but...

Glee is utterly awful. Well maybe that's not so unpopular. Around here anyway. It's effin huge in the US. They could have been subversive with it, but oh no, let's just raid, no scrape the bottom of the cliche barrel in casting and extend that to the plot. That's before we get to the "music"...

This won't go down well... Terry Pratchett. Twee, knowing, a bit smug and very "english", like Midsomer Murders in fantasyland. Though seems like a lovely man in interview I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

This has been done before in this thread, but I'll give my two cents and underline my main points on what I honestly (with 100% certainty) believe.

Intelligent people should never under any circumstances read tabloids.

I've heard some people do it because they find the articles therapeutic :eek:. Its essentially the same an adult watching Dora The Explorer and thinking its therapeutic. They are not made for the educated, they are made for people who don't know what research and intellectual analysis are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I love the sound of the German language.

When it's whispered in your ear at 3 in the morning by a hottie, I concur :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Originally Posted by Sea Filly
    I love the sound of the German language.

"Its like someone threw a typewriter down the stairs." Dylan Moran.

Love their Anthem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But there's tits.

Thats not very family friendly though.

Spartacus has tits, asses and langers - something for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Breaking Bad is way overrated yo.

Any scene involving Walts wife, kid or the wifes sister just drags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Breaking Bad is way overrated yo.

Any scene involving Walts wife, kid or the wifes sister just drags.

In relative terms compared to 99% of other tv dramas it is out in front but its behind the likes of The Sopranos, Oz, Treme, The Wire, and The Corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

old hippy wrote: »
    When it's whispered in your ear at 3 in the morning by a hottie, I concur :D;)

Durty. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Sarah Jessica Parker was hot in Hocus Pocus but she just looks like she's been out in the sun too long now. I don't get the "she looks like a horse" thing though. I think that's a bit harsh!

Fuuuuuuck! Sarah Jessica Parker was in Hocus Pocus... ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Unpopular opinion

I thought the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics were very boring.

The closing ceremony was more like a demonstration of how terrible music has become over the past 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Unpopular opinion

The closing ceremony was more like a demonstration of how terrible music has become over the past 30 years

no way, jessie j makes a great freddie mercury:p

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Should clarify, ELO, Queen etc are legends, but the show was an illustration of how good things used to be

/old man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Unpopular opinion

That's the most popular opinion going right now, which makes your "unpopular opinion" unpopular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I couldn't care less about the GAA. I hate it when people start talking about hurling or football.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

I strongly believe immigrants benefit an economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I thought the closing ceremony for the olympics was amazing . Jessie j and ed sheeran were brutal and ray davis is past it but apart from that it was great .

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

Fair dues to Katie Taylor and I was proud of her blah blah blah.

But it is ONLY womens boxing and will never have the actual real excitment of mens boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

cloptrop wrote: »
    I thought the closing ceremony for the olympics was amazing . Jessie j and ed sheeran were brutal and ray davis is past it but apart from that it was great .

And yer man singing Wonderwall was beyond terrible. It was actually offensive it was that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

You can give yourself genital warts by wiping your arse from back to front.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Genital warts? No
    Smelly balls? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kayotic18

You can give yourself genital warts by wiping your arse from back to front.
    Genital warts? No
    Smelly balls? Yes

Mickey Dazzler might have anal warts, this could mean he'd give himself genital warts from incorrect wiping

The end is nigh

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    And yer man singing Wonderwall was beyond terrible. It was actually offensive it was that bad

"Yer man"? That was Liam Gallagher, the guy who originally sang it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It were still proper rubbish.

Sounded awful all the same :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I`ve seen Oasis a few times and he usually sings very well but the other night was just embarrassing. He sounded like he`d been inhaling Helium all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

People who use phrases such as 'critical thinking' know little about what they are talking about.

It is too vague. If you mean people are unable or unwilling to route out formal fallacies in everyday life and conversation i would put to you that this is impractical.

I always wonder what they mean. Do they think there are not enough people with a university level education?

Do they accept the limitations of 'critical thinking'? Adversarial paradigms limit the abilty to put forward constructions.

I would argue people are able to deconstruct and critically analyse information far better than they can put forward new ideas and inventions.

There is over emphasis on critical thinking and not enough emphasis on inventivness.

And what exactly are people referring to?

Critical thinking is simply a way of deciding whether assumptions or claims are true, partly, true, sometimes true or false.

If you are suggesting that education in some institutions is failing to meet society's needs for educated citizen's this coud be true.

Sometimes educators concentrate on the facts and concepts in the various discaplines at the lower levels of cognitive levels.

I would have said we are obove many other countries though.

I think their is too much indoctrination...the EU is forced down secondary students throats. At the same time the Anti- EU lobby is little better.

I find the less educated people are the less open they are to the idea that they may be wrong.

What really gets me is the ignoring of actual experts in discaplines such as law or the enviroment in favour of those who have alterior motives somtimes.

As regards analysing avery piece of info you get , well you must use selective trust on occasion. I trust my Doctor. I am correct to rather than to logically asses my own health as logic is a part of medicine but so is empirical experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

This one's unpopular with most right now:

John Joe Nevin is a just a country knacker. For the whole nation to be so proud that he's been in that many bare-knuckle boxing matches in the sticks that he's able to beat the crap out of a few fighters is a complete joke :D