Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Younganne wrote: »
    Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|5|30m|107.47|1054.1|bit of a nothing week. felt good on ten miler yeasterday though. |
    rom||||889m||
    Younganne|||28.32m|459.04| |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

Lacking a bit of motivation at the moment. I think it maybe a case of DOPMBS or "delayed onset post marathon blues syndrome". but i think e.colis programme above may be the right medicine. I think i need to set a concrete short term target. The whole "ya i am gonna do some short stuff" isnt working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

BobMac104|5|30m|107.47|1054.1|bit of a nothing week. felt good on ten miler yeasterday though. |
    rom|9|67M|182M|1093M|It starts ;)|
    Younganne|||28.32m|459.04| |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

rom|9|67M|182M|1093M|It starts ;)|
    Younganne|5|27.75m|57.07m|487.79| back with 5 sessions this week:D, managed 11m yesterday so very happy with that|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

Hurray back to 5 runs this week. :rolleyes: Wasn't recovered enough to do the Dunshaughlin 10k but hey took a look at the bigger picture and decided to sit it out!!!
    Looking forward to getting this marathon plan underway!!
    Race Series 5m on Saturday...My first 5m race:eek: (PB Guranteed;))
    good luck to everyone doing it.

Bob its good to have something to focus on!!

rom wrote: »
    It starts ;)

boom! stellar week Rom. Keep it up! gives me a good kick up the behind. If i can get above the 50m mark this week ill be a happy man. Cant see myself hitting anywhere near those miles without a big LSR to bulk it up.
    Hurray back to 5 runs this week.
    Bob its good to have something to focus on!!

Great week too Anne!! Ya definately need a target.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    boom! stellar week Rom. Keep it up! gives me a good kick up the behind. If i can get above the 50m mark this week ill be a happy man. Cant see myself hitting anywhere near those miles without a big LSR to bulk it up.

Great week too Anne!! Ya definately need a target.
    cough * Frank Duffy 10 mile * cough

• Advertisement

10 mile eh? i do have a bone to pick with 70mins for ten.....

Edit: ah its in Dublin. Id never travel up id say, it costs too much.

Hurray, first one done & dusted.

Tuesday 26th June - Week 1, Day 1 -7.20m in 1:11:00 @ 9.52/160

it was a bit longer than the plan but that was an error on my behalf trying to get some of Saturdays 5m Race route into the run, i went the wrong way to it....:o

Week 1 - Day 2

Wednesday 27th June -
    Warm up = 1m @ 10.31/156
    Diagonals
    Cool down = 1.24m @10.23/167
    Total 4.61m

Week 1 - Day 3

Thursday 28th June -
    6.30m @9.44/157

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Good on ya Anne. You are on the way to the big one.

I have abandon this log of late just was not putting in the training to keep up with ye guys. But I am back in line again. Don't think I will make the marathon this year might just concentrate on shorter races and tackle Dublin next year.

Hope to get the half marathon time down to 1.45 and then see where I am in January. Will update the table this weekend and start following Ecoli's plan from Monday.

Week 1 - Day 2

Wednesday 27th June -
    Warm up = 1m @ 10.31/156
    Diagonals
    Cool down = 1.24m @10.23/167
    Total 4.61m

Week 1 - Day 3

Thursday 28th June -
    6.30m @9.44/157

Your warmup and cool down seem to short in time to me. I always go for 15 -20 mins with 20mins begin best. I feel I would never be warm with 10 mins warmup. Also I do it at very little effort. My HR max is 193 and I do warmup at 140 ish which is just above walking to be honest very little effort. Another benefit of a warmup is that it is to wake up your aerobic system which takes between 5-15mins depending on level of fitness. So if you don't do this then you are using anaerobic for the session or race. This is according to Anita Bean's book anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

rom wrote: »
    Your warmup and cool down seem to short in time to me. I always go for 15 -20 mins with 20mins begin best. I feel I would never be warm with 10 mins warmup. Also I do it at very little effort. My HR max is 193 and I do warmup at 140 ish which is just above walking to be honest very little effort. Another benefit of a warmup is that it is to wake up your aerobic system which takes between 5-15mins depending on level of fitness. So if you don't do this then you are using anaerobic for the session or race. This is according to Anita Bean's book anyways.

These sessions are no where near anaerobic though they are simply a form of strideouts.

In terms of warm up normally I would do same as you regarding a warm up but for different reasons. Mainly I see warm up and cooldown as a chance to get more aerobic work in by seeing it as two short runs around a session. it also allows the body to increase the bloodflow to the muscles meaning that I am looser.

The reason for a one mile warm up is simply to be in line with the overall plan. There is no point in doing really long warm ups if you run lower mileage all you are going to do is tire yourself out for a session

There are very few sessions which you will see here which are in any way anaerobic (and that includes things like diagonals, fartleks, 200ms all of these will be set up so they are working on aerobic pathways)

I have not read Anita Beans stuff (tbh dont even know who she is) but I recommend the following site as there seems to be a little confusion in the definition of anaerobic training

http://brianmac.co.uk/energy.htm

From what I have been reading it says it depends a lot on fitness level. So say for you it may be 5 mins but for me it may be 10-15 mins. All I know is that since I started this last Dec I have remained injury free while having doubled my mileage and having gone to the physio probably 15 times last year for every ailment under the Sun. Just saying what I read. 9ddbc5199144771.jpg http://www.anitabean.co.uk/?books=complete-guide-to-sports-nutrition-6th-edition-2009 page 18

Race series 5m in the Phoenix Park in the morning, anyone else doing it???

Just read that extract and there are a few points which stick out.

- Its the intensity not the duration which determines whether oxygen is present or not. You will be surprised to hear that World Class 400m sprinters (45 second guys) cannot even sustain a full race running Anaerobically. This is the point being made in the second paragraph. Because these reps are run at less than 90% effort with short jogging recoveries these are designed to be aerobic sessions simply because it is not possible for the body to meet the energy demands needed to run continually at maximal efforts

Lydiard described to reasoning behind warming up by saying the following

""The main reasons are: 1) to raise blood circulation to a pulse rate near 130 to 140 beats a minute, so that you don't have to ‘go through the gears’ in your race; and 2) to raise the body temperature and loosen up the muscles so they can function more efficiently, reducing the risk of pulling a muscle or straining a tendon."

The highlighted point is probably the reasoning behind your injury free spout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

Race series 5m in the Phoenix Park in the morning, anyone else doing it???

Yes! I'm running it too.
    I'll better get some sleep ;)

meijin wrote: »
    Yes! I'm running it too.
    I'll better get some sleep ;)

How'd it go for you Meijin

my report is here.. Garmin time 40.09 have to see if its any different on the chip but i doubt it!!! 5.08m in 40.09 @ 7.54/184

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

How'd it go for you Meijin

my report is here.. Garmin time 40.09 have to see if its any different on the chip but i doubt it!!! 5.08m in 40.09 @ 7.54/184

Well done Anne, great time!

My "report" is here.

I finished in 36:0x (no HR data...:( my strap stopped working recently :mad:). First half in 17:30, but the second half was more uphill and took me 18:30. Overall 20s slower than predicted by MM from my 5k race in December, but conditions were much tougher yesterday (too many hills and too hot :pac: also not enough sleep and had a company dinner the night before :cool:) and I didn't run much during some months. My legs were great all the way actually (looks like the strength training helps a lot - I'm gradually moving to single leg squats, and recently got up to 4x100 calf raises), at a times it felt like flying :D, but the endurance part lacked. Only minor DOMS today so maybe I'll go for a recovery run in the evening :)

Anyway, PB by over 5 minutes since last year, so no reasons to complain :D

On to week two. Those of you who raced saturday and had the long run will be glad to hear that starts with the day off:D

How did people find the small increase in mileage?

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1*|6m easy|15 min recovery|5 miles steady|1 hr 45 easy

Wednesdays session: 1 mile warm up, 10x30 sec hills @ 5k-5m effort jog back down recovery, 1 mile cooldown

Once again this session is working on form and efficiency. It should not be all out as these first few week are about building the mileage slowly and safetly but also working on economy. This way your legs keep in touch with some form of speed and we also train them to expend minimum amounts of energy in our running form (which will play an important role when you out on your feet for +3hrs racing)

Again the steady running is slower than marathon pace but faster than easy (roughly 80-90% effort of marathon pace if that helps)

Any questions you know where I am:p

@ meijin and Younganne Congrats on the PBs great running keep it up

5k race on Wednesday evening for me Ecoli, will i swap wed session to Sat or just drop it for this week?

6m slow run today, legs felt fine after a session with the foam roller after the run

• Advertisement

5k race on Wednesday evening for me Ecoli, will i swap wed session to Sat or just drop it for this week?

6m slow run today, legs felt fine after a session with the foam roller after the run

I think this is a good idea. The fact that the marathon is the main goal I think training through a few races is not a bad idea. If you want however move rest day to Tuesday and run monday that can give your legs a bit a freshening up for the race if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

ecoli wrote: »
    On to week two. Those of you who raced saturday and had the long run will be glad to hear that starts with the day off:D

How did people find the small increase in mileage?

Miles were ok this week. Was running into a savage wind on Saturday so the 'steady' run pace was all over the place. I think the effort (major!) was spot on though so I'm not beating myself up about it. :D

Looking forward to those hill repeats this week (not :o)

Emer911 wrote: »
    Miles were ok this week. Was running into a savage wind on Saturday so the 'steady' run pace was all over the place. I think the effort (major!) was spot on though so I'm not beating myself up about it. :D

Looking forward to those hill repeats this week (not :o)

90% of the time effort is key so dont me afraid to take conditions into account (route profile, wind, heat, tiredness)

BobMac104|6|42|10m|1106.1|starting to wind up again. |
    rom|||182M|1093M||
    Younganne|||57.07m|487.79| |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

The week started out well but missed both wednesday and thursday due to work and familly stuff but still managed to get over 40m done with one quality session. doubled up tuesday and friday to get the miles in. legs really abck now after the marathon so looking forward to a good week.

well done to Anne and Meijin for two great 5m times!!!

rom|||182M|1093M||
    Younganne|5|33.23m|84.18m(total for June|521.02m|very happy with how the training went last week ;) |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

Delighted to be back to full training and was happy with the 5m race, tough but good. 5k race this week and then a month off racing to concentrate on the training:D

Second week of base building down. How is everyone finding the mileage so far? Are people feeling any effects from the recovery day (good or bad?)

Here is next weeks plan

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1*|6m easy|15 min recovery|Progression*|1 hr 45 easy

Session 11 mile warm up, 10x30 sec hills @ 5k-5m effort jog back down recovery, 1 mile cooldown

Progression 1 mile warm up, 3 miles steady, 2 miles @ MP, 1 mile at HMP, 1 mile cooldown

With the progression run I want you to base this on effort, its still early in the training plan to be too worried about hitting exact MP so if you feel it is too though just try to base it on effort, same goes for HMP

Any questions just ask as always

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

rom|||182M|1093M||
    Younganne|5|33.23m|84.18m(total for June|521.02m|very happy with how the training went last week ;) |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|
    Emer911|5|31||504|

I passed 500mi for the year yesterday. Yipee! Body is creaking a bit with the increase in mileage, so I've booked a sports massage to try to nip the niggles in the bud (excuse the mixed metaphors). Otherwise all going good.

BobMac104||10m|1106.1| |
    rom|||182M|1093M||
    Younganne|4|20.25|26.37|541.27m|delighted with 5km PB, rest from racing for 1 mth and see how training goes|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|
    Emer911|5|31||504|

I didn't get LSR done over the weekend, did the hills on Sat morn but now i know i should have done the LSR, as i had 2 family functions on Sat & Sun that involved a few hrs driving and didn't get home before dark on Sun night and can't run in the dark on my roads.....

ecoli wrote: »
    Second week of base building down. How is everyone finding the mileage so far? Are people feeling any effects from the recovery day (good or bad?)

Have to confess Ecoli, :o felt that 15mins wasn't worth bringing the running gear into work for and that i'd do it when i got home...but both Fridays i didn't manage to get out...but i will definitely do it this week,
    I'll be back at the Meath running group this wednesday which will be intervals, so won't be doing the hills, but will fit a few in on my LSR at the Weekend......
    6m easy today felt lovely and easy so the 2 days rest were good for the legs...raring to go now for the rest of the week...

• Advertisement

BobMac104|6|42.35m|52.35m|1148.45|Ok week, one quality session which was ok. Stomach issues on two Long runs didnt help |
    rom|||182M|1093M||
    Younganne|4|20.25|26.37|541.27m|delighted with 5km PB, rest from racing for 1 mth and see how training goes|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|
    Emer911|5|31||504|

Bit late updating. First proper session since before cork during the week. felt good for the first one but not so good as it went on. I felt worse but was running faster so maybe there is a plus in there somewhere. Was supposed to have 3000m race friday but that was canceled due to the weather. Stomach is not great past 8m for some reason. Thinking about introducing some core work to help steady up the body abit. Next target set for tomorrow weeks 5k. hoping to crack 20mins but not feeling too confident.

Advertisement