Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Good Man Rom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi Folks

@ Rom and Scriba : congrats on the PBs both very solid times and shows that you are going in the right direction

@ Younganne: Be very careful with training on antibiotics. Not only do they destroy the bad in your system but also the good and as a result if you rush back too soon you can be prone to illness easier as you immune system is depleted

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5 mile easy|1 mile easy, 6x600m* 1 mile easy|5m|rest|1 mile easy 2x10m @ HMP with 3 min rec 1 mile easy|90 min easy

*5k pace -5 sec per km (if you run 25 min for 5k thats 5 min pace per k so run at 4.55 per km)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ecoli wrote: »
    Hi Folks

@ Younganne: Be very careful with training on antibiotics. Not only do they destroy the bad in your system but also the good and as a result if you rush back too soon you can be prone to illness easier as you immune system is depleted

Yes noted, I remembered you saying that on my last double course of antibiotics for the very same sinus infection:mad:... hence no running except for the 6k race...i'll ease back into it over the weekend, friday will be 3 days off the antibiotics....but have a horrible feeling i need another course:eek:. Thanks Ecoli

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

congrats on the PBs both very solid times and shows that you are going in the right direction

Forwards! :P
    |Rest|5 mile easy|1 mile easy, 6x600m* 1 mile easy|5m|rest|1 mile easy 2x10m @ HMP with 3 min rec 1 mile easy|90 min easy

*5k pace -5 sec per km (if you run 25 min for 5k thats 5 min pace per k so run at 4.55 per km)

Thanks Ecoli, I like the look of this week, and looking forward to getting some work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Great work everyone some serious running be ye all. Thanks Ecoli. Looking forward to finally getting back training this week

Stupid Question but what is:
    1 mile easy 2x10m @ HMP with 3 min rec 1 mile easy.

Two weeks out and I cant remember anything

• Advertisement

Great work everyone some serious running be ye all. Thanks Ecoli. Looking forward to finally getting back training this week

Stupid Question but what is:
    1 mile easy 2x10m @ HMP with 3 min rec 1 mile easy.

Two weeks out and I cant remember anything

1 mile warm up

10 min @ half marathon pace
    3 min walk/jog recovery
    10 min @ half marathon pace

1 mile cooldown

Cheers for that for some reason I was thinking it was 10 miles.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Younganne wrote: »
    Yes noted, I remembered you saying that on my last double course of antibiotics for the very same sinus infection:mad:... hence no running except for the 6k race...i'll ease back into it over the weekend, friday will be 3 days off the antibiotics....but have a horrible feeling i need another course:eek:. Thanks Ecoli

I take these every time I get an anti-biotic to build again. http://www.health4youonline.com/health_supplements_flora_probiotic_super_8_fmd020.htm Basically you take one a day. They must be kept in the fridge and do what actimel yogurt's claim to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

*5k pace -5 sec per km (if you run 25 min for 5k thats 5 min pace per k so run at 4.55 per km)[/QUOTE]

Ok this is probably a stupid question :o is it best to switch the garmin to km for Wednesday's run or can it be left in miles I don't do km very well :rolleyes:

Nules10 wrote: »

Ok this is probably a stupid question :o is it best to switch the garmin to km for Wednesday's run or can it be left in miles I don't do km very well :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

its okay I am a miles man myself I thought it may be easier for people to make out 5k pace off kms rather than 3.12 miles:D

www.runningforfitness.org has a great pace split calculator for both miles and kms to help you out if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Ok another question from me :o tomorrow's session with the 6x600s do we take a recovery between each and if so how long and if there is no recovery :eek::eek: I fear I may die doin this session.

Nules10 wrote: »
    Ok another question from me :o tomorrow's session with the 6x600s do we take a recovery between each and if so how long and if there is no recovery :eek::eek: I fear I may die doin this session.

Sorry error on my behalf here the recovery is the same amount of time as the rep takes to do in between each rep

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|||91.5|865.85m||
    rom|||78m|801m||
    Younganne|||30.06|377.33m||
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    Scriba |4|27.14m|66.34m|248.84m| Got 4/5 of ecoli's prescribed sessions done, so very pleased with that. Felt a little tired after last weekends race, but no lasting effects.

rom|||78m|801m||
    red face dave |5|24|24|325|Good week 5 sessions done but low milage,something to work at this week|
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    Scriba |4|27.14m|66.34m|248.84m| Got 4/5 of ecoli's prescribed sessions done, so very pleased with that. Felt a little tired after last weekends race, but no lasting effects.

rom|6|45m|123m|846m|Not a great week due to exams :(|
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

rom|6|45|123m|845m|Not a great week due to exams :(|
    Younganne|2|10.75|40.81|388.08m|2 sessions this week so happy enough to be back at it...hope to get 4/5 done this week|
    red face dave |5|24|24|325|Good week 5 sessions done but low milage,something to work at this week|
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||

Rom, good luck in the exams...6 sessions is a good week!!

BobMac104|5|38.25|129.75|904.1| First week of taper down|
    Younganne|2|10.75|40.81|388.08m|2 sessions this week so happy enough to be back at it...hope to get 4/5 done this week|
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||

Had 15 m LSR yesterday. felt awful and was wrecked at the end. Pace was fine @ 8:20. Legs feel great this morning though so I am just gonna put it down to a bad day. I hate taper time.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    BobMac104|5|38.25|129.75|904.1| First week of taper down|
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    Had 15 m LSR yesterday. felt awful and was wrecked at the end. Pace was fine @ 8:20. Legs feel great this morning though so I am just gonna put it down to a bad day. I hate taper time.

We all have off days. I had a session last Thursday that I was prob 20 sec off the pace from the same two weeks earlier. I think getting more sleep is key. The problem with taper is that you will have loads of energy and find it hard to sleep at night. I would still go out for a walk as the fresh air would be good and help me sleep. I walk really slowly, its strange when you are used to running everywhere.

Ya havent slept well this week really and i went out with a bad attitude into the run which probably didnt help. Looking forward to tonight now and a couple of 1k repeats tomorrow to sharpen up the legs again.

Hi Folks

Here is this weeks plan

|Rest|5 mile easy|1 mile easy, 4x300m, 4x200* 1 mile easy|5m|rest|1 mile easy 6x1k @ HMP with 90 sec rec 1 mile easy|90 min easy

Wed Session - @ 1 mile race pace with double the amount of time taken per rep as recovery and Double that recovery between the 300m s and 200m s

• Advertisement

Thanks Ecoli

Just wondering I have a 10k race on Sunday so would you advice that maybe I do something like this

Tuesday - 6 miles
    Wednesday - 6 miles
    Thursday - Club training (speed work)
    Friday - 5 miles
    Saturday - Rest

Thanks Ecoli

Just wondering I have a 10k race on Sunday so would you advice that maybe I do something like this

Tuesday - 6 miles
    Wednesday - 6 miles
    Thursday - Club training (speed work)
    Friday - 5 miles
    Saturday - Rest

I would do the following:

Tuesday - 6 miles
    Wednesday - Club Session
    Thursday - 6 miles
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 10-15 min recovery pace following by 4x80 m strides @ race pace with walk back recovery

Regarding your club session avoid long hard intervals. I find the best race week type sessions tend to be short reps quicker than race pace with long enough recovery followed by race pace sustained effort.

My favourite race week session would be this one

4x200,2x400, 800m, 2x400m, 4x200m

The 200s and 400s are relatively comfortable with the aim of pushing it on the 800m (normally the 800m is a second or two per lap quicker than the actual 400s)

my suggestion for your mileage level if you opted for that kinda session would be something more like 3x200, 2x300, 600, 2x300, 3x200

Also regarding Saturday the aim would be to try something roughly a min or 2 per mile slower than you easy run. The only objective for this one is to increase blood flow for the day to aid recovery. Many peoplen see days off as the best recovery but I find that you actually recover better from active rest. To quanitify this my normal pace for runs would be 7 min a mile or quicker yet my recovery days would rarely break 9 min miles. At first this is difficult but in time you get used to it.

The strides are just a way of activating muscle fibers to get you ready for the day after running at race pace but with such long recoveries and short distances it takes nothing out of the legs what so ever

Thanks Ecoli that is brilliant stuff.

The club only train on Thursday nights. So I will have to swap Wednesday and Thursday around.

Running the day before a race is something I have never do. Will give it a go on Saturday and hope for the best.

Thanks Ecoli that is brilliant stuff.

The club only train on Thursday nights. So I will have to swap Wednesday and Thursday around.

Running the day before a race is something I have never do. Will give it a go on Saturday and hope for the best.

If this is a race in which you are chasing a time my advice would be stick to what you know and what your body is used to. Routine can count for an awful lot come target races though aim to use sessions/low key races as chances to try new things to see if they can help improve things for you.

Any target races I tend to stick to what I know (same breakfast same video clips same warm up etc religiously before races where I am looking to tackle a PB)

Cant make my mind up if it is a target race or not. Have not had the best preparation in the lead up. But on the other hand I cant see myself not pushing for a p.b.

I think I might do the run on Saturday cant do much harm. But saying that I am heading to the big smoke on Saturday for the match which will mean a good bit of walking:):)

If this is a race in which you are chasing a time my advice would be stick to what you know and what your body is used to. Routine can count for an awful lot come target races though aim to use sessions/low key races as chances to try new things to see if they can help improve things for you.

Any target races I tend to stick to what I know (same breakfast same video clips same warm up etc religiously before races where I am looking to tackle a PB)

Video clips ? If they are running related then would love a list of them to get my head in the right place.

rom wrote: »
    Video clips ? If they are running related then would love a list of them to get my head in the right place.

Youtube some of the following

1972 5000m Olympic final
    Al Pacino Speech in any given sunday
    El Gs mile WR
    Sydney 10000m (Geb v Tergat Sprint)
    Without Limits (Olympic Trial v george young)

There are a few others but cant think of the name offhand usually have to search for them

Hey Folks

I know this is a little earlier than usualy but I am heading away on Friday so I figured be best to get all loose ends tied up before I leave.

Here is next weeks plan

|Rest|5 mile easy|Session*|5m|rest|1 mile easy 2x12 min @ HM 2 min rec 1 mile easy|90 min easy

Session*: 1 mile warm up,
    200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 600m ,400m, 200m @ 5k pace w/ 75% of rep time recovery,
    1 mile cooldown

Any questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Haven't been on this page in a while so think it's time for me to go back :) just wondering if anyone here did Burren Marathon challenge yesterday? I did it as Ballyvaughan only 15 min spin from my home area and have to say it was very tough!was expecting to be running up few hills - not mountains!Heat was killer as well but met 2 lovely women from Limerick enroute who were doing race for 4th time so they were telling me all the time what to expect - they were great craic as well keeping the people about going ;) had tight calf but amazingly there was no pain when was running.went for massage after and was told by girl massaging my calf that there were just a few knots in the calf so feels lot looser now :) super organised race and very very friendly locals who were so thankful to people supporting business in their area.

• Advertisement

BobMac104|5|31m|156.75m|935.1| Second week of taper down. feel okish|
    rom|||123m|845m||
    Younganne|||40.81|388.08m||
    red face dave |||24|325||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||