Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ecoli wrote: »
    I think the calculator and his training idea's are confused here. As a coach he is very well regarded and his training methods are from the Lydiard foundation.

Maybe i'm mixing him up with someone else:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|5|35.5M|204.85|1301.0|tipping away.|
    rom|7|63|43|1367||
    Younganne|2|12.05|12.05m|650.09m|Only 2 runs this week after physio treatment. Hoping to complete full week this week in comfort:eek: |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44|||57m|482.1m||
    Scriba |||5|253.84m||
    Emer911|6|41.49|32|619.56|

Very bold. I haven't updated this in a bit. Was a off form a couple of weeks ago and didn't run much that week, so last week I did a small run Monday as a tester. Normally only do max of 5 runs per week, and it was really just 35 miles last week if you exclude the Monday run.
    Had a great 14 mile LSR on Sunday last though, so feeling like I'm back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Had to head down on my own for this one which i didnt mind. I was mad late getting down again and didnt get the best warm up. I didnt know how i was feeling really, the legs are heavy most of the time these days but i was up for this one so i said feck it and went out hard. first mile down in 6:10 and feeling good, second mile is always the longest it seems in the 5ks and the the pace began to drop again. The ol legs were bate coming to the 2 miler and a guy in front of me stopped and i nearly stopped with him, as walking at that stage looked like a much more reasonable option than running. kept going anyway and started picking off a few people for the last mile and found myself surrounded by the ususal faces. 3 miles in and the PB was still on if i could muster a hard final .1m. Picked it up flying down towards the man with the mega phone and these two young fella's passed me (id say if one lad was 11 it was alot:o). fell accross the line in 19:49 av (6:20) (3.14miles) a PB but only just. Ill take the PB , its almost a carbon copy of the 5k a few weeks back but ive learned alot about racing in these 4 weeks so thats a good thing. Next up ... a bit of RnR i think.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

On the long runs, how serious do people take the "no carbs" advice of McMillan? i.e. going for a long run first thing in the morning without any breakfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    On the long runs, how serious do people take the "no carbs" advice of McMillan? i.e. going for a long run first thing in the morning without any breakfast?

I think it is something you would have to train your body for yet he is not the only coach to advocate this. Wouldnt recommend this unless you were doing it from the start of the plan and had a chance to build it up (i.e first learn to do it on short runs and build up). I know myself I was not able to run without eating something but through a change of diet and training my body to do it over about 6 months it became easier and now can do up to 12 miles (before struggled to do 4 miles on empty stomach)

Canova says the same during the special phase of his training when he has his athletes do 2 sessions in one day where you take on minimal nourishment in between the sessions

• Advertisement

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|7 mile easy|Session 1*|7m easy|20 min recovery|Session 2*|2 hrs 30 easy

Session 1 - 2 miles easy 10 x 30 sec hills with walk back recovery 2 miles easy

Session 2 - 2 miles easy, 6x800m 1st 800m HMP+5 seconds, 2nd 800 HMP-5 secs repeat, All continuous running, 2 miles easy

BobMac104| || |1301.0||
    rom| | ||1367||
    Younganne| | ||650.09m| |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5 |34 |76.58 |653.58| Did the Kilomarathon on Sat so the week was a bit all over the place...

BobMac104| 6|21| |1322.0|on an overdue recovery week since 5k race|
    rom| | ||1367||
    Younganne| | ||650.09m| |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5 |34 |76.58 |653.58| Did the Kilomarathon on Sat so the week was a bit all over the place...

Been taking it easy since the 5k on wednesday. I decided to take 7 days pure recovery and see how it went. so the idea was 3 miles a day at recovery pace. Went to the pool for some aqua jogging (:rolleyes:i know) and have found it great also been stretching alot. Been eating alot too and overall chilling out. Feeling good to be honest and will use the rest of this week to ease back up the milage and will chance the usuall 14miler sunday. Its been over due for a while i think.

rom| | ||1367||
    Younganne|5 |32.03m |44.08m|682.12| 5 runs tis week, legs still not 100% but doing ok!!|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

Hi Folks

I have split this for people racing Frank Duffy this week:

Non Race week

|Rest|7 mile easy|Session 1*|7m easy|20 min recovery|Session 2*|2 hrs easy

Session 1 - 2 miles easy Fartlek* 2 miles easy

5 min on, 4 min off, 4 min on, 3 min off, 3 min on, 2 min off, 2 min on 1 min off, 1 min on, 30 sec off, 30 sec on

Session 2 - 2 miles easy, 4x10 min @ HMP with 3 min rec, 2 miles easy

Race week

|4 miles easy|Session 1*|4 miles easy|OFF|20 min recovery|Race|70 min easy

Session 1 - 1 miles easy 1 mile, 1200m, 800m, 400m, 200m 1 miles easy (2 min rec between all reps

Paces:
    1 mile - Marathon pace
    1200m - Half Marathon Pace
    800m - 10k pace
    400m - 3k-5k pace
    200m - 1 mile pace

@Younganne: I know you are going to see the Physio for dry needle work this week let me know what day and will aim to design a week around it

• Advertisement

Hi Folks

I have split this for people racing Frank Duffy this week:

Non Race week

|Rest|7 mile easy|Session 1*|7m easy|20 min recovery|Session 2*|2 hrs easy

Session 1 - 2 miles easy Fartlek* 2 miles easy

5 min on, 4 min off, 4 min on, 3 min off, 3 min on, 2 min off, 2 min on 1 min off, 1 min on, 30 sec off, 30 sec on

Session 2 - 2 miles easy, 4x10 min @ HMP with 3 min rec, 2 miles easy

Race week

|4 miles easy|Session 1*|4 miles easy|OFF|20 min recovery|Race|70 min easy

Session 1 - 1 miles easy 1 mile, 1200m, 800m, 400m, 200m 1 miles easy (2 min rec between all reps

Paces:
    1 mile - Marathon pace
    1200m - Half Marathon Pace
    800m - 10k pace
    400m - 3k-5k pace
    200m - 1 mile pace

@Younganne: I know you are going to see the Physio for dry needle work this week let me know what day and will aim to design a week around it

Thanks Ecoli I'm going Thur evening so was going to run Mon through to Thur and then rest fri and hopefully be able for Sat.... Im hopin to change apt to Wed and then i could do the week as you planned it, but i'll see tomorrow if she can change for me!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Thanks Ecoli going Thur evening so was going to run Mon through to Thur and then rest fri and hopefully be able for Sat....

Are you racing?

Are you racing?

Physio is trying to shift a few appointments around to fit me in on Wed evening and if so i will be racing...if not i'll have treatment on Thur and will go and do the 10m but won't be racing....hoping to be able to manage 10m @ PMP (9ish min per mile)

Edit: Physio on Wednesday evening so will follow the race week plan above and hope for the best for Saturday....

rom| | ||1367||
    Younganne|2 |12.6m |56.68m|694.72| only 2 runs this week, combination of hols and physio...excuses, should have tried harder!!!:o!|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

BobMac104| 4|29.5| |1351.5|Started back thurday after the down week, feeling ok.|
    rom| | ||1367||
    Younganne|2 |12.6m |56.68m|694.72| only 2 runs this week, combination of hols and physio...excuses, should have tried harder!!!:o!|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

Feeling better after the down week. gonna start wearing the HRM for a few runs + see how i get on with it. I see alot of people using it to make sure they are not overtraining etc and as i have one with the garmin i may as well give it a go. Still not 100% set on Dublin. I am gonna stick as close as possible to E.colis plan for 4 weeks and will make a decission then.

Hey guys , @ what pace is "on" in the fartlek? Also I take it "off" is easy pace?

For the on pace start at 10k pace and work your way down to 3k-5k pace as the session goes on.

For the off paces stick to easy/steady

If you are using fartlek often as a form of progression it is often good to keep the on paces the same but increase the off paces till they get down near MP (not for this cycle but ust advice for those who may in the future look to develop a regular fartlek session)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭meijin

I wasn't too sure if I should run it at all. Had a sore throat and was unwell last week so no running (if I run too much with a sore throat I usually get more sick). Did 18.5k "long run" on Saturday, feeling again a bit iffy on Monday & Tuesday. 20 minutes warm-up + few strides on Wednesday.

Yesterday was a disaster...:mad: I had quinoa during the day which is usually fine for me, but this one must have been contaminated with wheat/gluten (to which I'm allergic), and I was feeling very down, tired and with migraine starting. :mad: :( Went for the pre-race warm-up jog (slow 6k) yesterday evening anyway, but I could barely move and was absolutely exhausted afterwards. Managed to prepare some bits for the morning and went to sleep early.

Got up in time and feeling mostly OK this morning, had some carbs for breakfast (100g of buckwheat), but was starting to feel hungry 2h later. Got to the start a bit early so waited few minutes in the baggage tent, then went for a warm-up and into the first wave as the goal was about 75 minutes. I found myself going a bit too fast for first few miles, at 7:15/mile pace, so tried slow down a bit. Was at 30s below target up to mile 8, but mile 9 was the slowest (were the mile marks OK?). Decided to speed up the last mile and finished in 1:14:2x :D PB by over 4:30 :D

I was a bit surprised by people walking on the race route to collect their baggage... rolleyes.gif not a great planning; as well as with going back to baggage area through the mud eek.gif

Said hello to menoscemo handing out tshirts. I hope to use his pacing skills again this year smile.gif Assuming the training goes without too many interruptions...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Race prep which is an anal list of stuff that looks like something from American Physio all went to plan. So I am there standing there in wave 1 thinking/doubting myself like always. I fear the first mile most of all. Mallow 10 is where I went off too hard as its uphill. There I just got under 75 when I did sub 72 (71:5x) in Ballycotton which on paper is a slower course. Having gone off hard in the Cork half and paid for it with a poor performance. So today I was like keep it handy, keep it steady. All was going well having dropped about 10 sec per mile from the fast first mile but thats ok as the effort was constant. Got a tad stomach cramp but worked through it with breathing long slow breaths out. I was happy that I didn't go out too hard. the last few miles ??? where did those hills come from ? had a very slow mile here as maintained the same effort. felt strong with 1.2 miles to go so counted down to .5 mile to go and pushed on to try and make back some of the time I lost in the hills. I must say the sharp turn from a path onto a road is a bad idea as you lose a bit of momentum as you can't take it full tilt which would be nice. So anyways 1:08:16 on the chip. Still lots of room for improvement. Not to bad when I did the Mallow 10 18 months ago in 82 mins. If I could lose 10Kg now it would be great.

Congrats lads on the PBs great to see.

From there we are going to start tranistioning a bit more to specific marathon style sessions. Hopefully you will have built up the general fitness enough to get the best from these sessions.

There is only one session this week for 2 reasons.

a) after racing last weekend gives the body a little bit of extra time to recover

b) We are going to have a specific marathon session at the weekend so two sessions might be a little tough on the body

|Rest|5 mile easy|5 miles steady + 6x100m strides|7m easy|20 min recovery|Session|6 miles easy

Session - 3 miles easy, 4x2 mile @ MP with 1 mile easy recovery between All continuous running, 3 miles easy (total 17 miles)

This is a long session so dont be afraid to take the next day very easy

Any other questions just ask

• Advertisement

BobMac104|7 |54.0m |131m |1405.5|Feeling better as the week went on|
    rom| | ||1367||
    Younganne| | |56.68m|694.72|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911| | |76.58 |653.58|

A decent week. still in the horrors during the speed work tbh. Just dont seem to have the upper gears at the moment. Although i did enjoy the "10min HMP session". I wore the HRM all week with some interesting data generated and i think ill continue wearing it. I was getting stronger as the week went on and finished yesterday with a 15m LSR @ 7:59 pace and was really comfortable all the way (too fast i know!). Hopefully this week picks up again from where this one finished.

E.coli , any chance of a programme for people who didnt do Frank Duffy?
    Thanks

rom|7 |46M |213M|1525|pleased with 68:12 in Frank Duffy, now back to training|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

Great time rom. jealous of the sub 70!

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Great time rom. jealous of the sub 70!
    As I am of your sub 3:30. Using a HRM correctly will be great for you.

very disappointed i didn't make it to the Frank Duffy 10m, but my sinus infection has been hanging around all summer(bar 2-3 weeks where i was free of it in mid July)...anyway i usually muddle through as i can deal with the the sore face, teeth and nose but when the headache hits it floors me and unfortunately it hit Friday and was still there Saturday morning when i got up...it wasn't helped with the fact that i was up with a vomiting 3yr a few times during the night and had a total of about 3 hrs sleep. My leg was also giving me trouble and so decided the best course of action was to take a few days off and try get the body back into shape...
    so i haven't run since, i still have the headache and can't get a doc appointment till next Monday so hoping for a standby appt tomorrow and see what i can do with this stupid sinus!!!

@ Rom & Meijin, Well done lads those are two great times and your both flying!!

Ecoli, i'll pop back into the program when i get the headache sorted...i should be ok to get going again in a day or two, depends on what Doc says!!. The calf is improving big time but the quad is giving me a bit of trouble now, its like the release of the pain in the calf has left every where else shout out now that is sore too:(

Younganne|3|14.96m |71.64m|709.68| hope to be back in full flight shortly:mad:
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

rom wrote: »
    As I am of your sub 3:30. Using a HRM correctly will be great for you.

you're in great form at the moment lad you'll smash 3:30.

Ya i liked using the HRM this week. If you have any links on how to use it properly send em on to me sure if you wouldnt mind.

@younganne. That sinus issue sounds very painfull. I hope you can get to the bottom of it soon.

Younganne|3|14.96m |71.64m|709.68| hope to be back in full flight shortly:mad:
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|0 | 0|121.96 |709.51| was away in the sun last week so no running. Back to reality now though

BobMac104 wrote: »
    rom| | ||1367||
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||

A decent week. still in the horrors during the speed work tbh. Just dont seem to have the upper gears at the moment. Although i did enjoy the "10min HMP session". I wore the HRM all week with some interesting data generated and i think ill continue wearing it. I was getting stronger as the week went on and finished yesterday with a 15m LSR @ 7:59 pace and was really comfortable all the way (too fast i know!). Hopefully this week picks up again from where this one finished.

E.coli , any chance of a programme for people who didnt do Frank Duffy?
    Thanks

Same programme for everyone. I want the focus for this week to be on this session whether you raced last week or not.

Sometimes a solitary session can be of benefit especially in helping to establish MP (this will be more PMP though)

• Advertisement

BobMac104|6 |53.28m |17m |1458.78| solid week happy enough.|
    rom| | ||1525||
    Younganne||||709.68|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911||||709.51|

Advertisement