Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|5|31m|156.75m|935.1| Second week of taper down. feel okish|
    rom|6|43m|166m|889m|meh|
    Younganne|||40.81|388.08m||
    red face dave |||24|325||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    Scriba |||66.34m|248.84m|
    Be true
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/cork/207697/daily-weather-forecast/207697?day=8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

rom|6|43m|166m|889m|meh|
    Younganne|5|28.46m|69.27m|415.54|did 5 sessions this week and really enjoyed Saturdays session, didn't do a LSR yesterday so have to get back to them this week|
    red face dave |||24|325||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

rom|6|43m|166m|889m|meh|
    Younganne|5|28.46m|69.27m|415.54|did 5 sessions this week and really enjoyed Saturdays session, didn't do a LSR yesterday so have to get back to them this week|
    red face dave |3|16|40|341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||

ecoli wrote: »
    Hey Folks

I know this is a little earlier than usualy but I am heading away on Friday so I figured be best to get all loose ends tied up before I leave.

Here is next weeks plan

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5 mile easy|Session*|5m|rest|1 mile easy 2x12 min @ HM 2 min rec 1 mile easy|90 min easy

Session*: 1 mile warm up,
    200m, 400m, 600m, 800m, 600m ,400m, 200m @ 5k pace w/ 75% of rep time recovery,
    1 mile cooldown

Any questions just ask

This weeks session as posted by Ecoli last week, for anyone who is new to the thread!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Great thanks anne saves me having to go look for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Folks

Hope the week went well

|Rest|5 mile easy|Session*|5m|rest|5 miles easy|70 min @ MP

Session -

1 mile easy, 8x400m @ 1 mile pace with double rep time as recovery, 1 mile easy

Came home in 3 28. Delighted. Very tough out there today. Will do a longer report later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Came home in 3 28. Delighted. Very tough out there today. Will do a longer report later on.

Thats a super result and a pretty significant improvement.... Without going through the full log, what do you put the improvement down to? Your DCM wasn't too shabby so you've made you strides. Just interested to hear how you went about it

Congrats on the result

Just thought I would remind you of where you came from. Here is one of your first posts over a year ago to just highlight the progress you have made
    hey guys

I am new to these boards, I am looking to do dublin this year (my first) and will probably go with HAl higdon novice2 plan. but with 16 weeks to go where should i start from do you reckon?.

a bit of backround...

I only recently took up running again (3/4 months? ) I run around 20mpw on average , I do a 10k in 52 mins ( i know there is a sub 50 there for me soon!). My longest recent run was 16 miles which i couldnt walk up or down the stairs after for a couple of days and i am in my mid 20's.

anyway , basically my (lofty?) goal would be to (finish ..) do a sub 4 hour is this do-able for me ?
    any advice is much apreciated (sorry if this is in the wrong place)
    thanks in advance

From a lofty goal of sub 4 to expecting a sub 3.30 and delivering.Well done keep it up

• Advertisement

Cork 1/2 1hr 38. 14 mins better than last year. Disappointed in splits as they could have been equal instead of ranging from 6:40 to 8:20. Think 5 mins faster should have been possible. Its getting technical now :) . ah well

Rom, congrats 14min PB in a half is a fantastice achievement too..Keep up the good work!!! Well done!

Well done Bob, that a fantastic time and some difference from 1st marathon to 2nd...keep up the good work..I know you training really hard for that so Congrats, well deserved!

BobMac104||||935.1||
    rom||||889m||
    Younganne|5|24.34|9.21m|439.93|really enjoyed Saturdays session, didn't do a LSR but have to get back to them|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

the log seems to be getting quiter as most people have there own logs, but think we'll keep it going for another while....what do the rest of you think? I think its great getting the weekly training/advice from ecoli and the tips and advice from everyone else

I hate tapering and as it goes on my confidence gets lower. I felt I had enough done though with five 20+ miler LSRs (maybe one too many tbh as i was tired). The day before, the phantom pains were popping up everywhere and images of pulling out were in my head all day. The morning of the race FINALLY came and with three slices of jammy toast and a cup of tea in the stomach I left for town. I was fairly nervous/excited at this point and with 5 mins to go I met up with the lads I was going to run with. The Plan was to go out at 7:45mm and see how it felt. I never really settled like I was hoping to and the effort was higher than I wanted it to be from the start but kept the pace ok. First 5 miles were pretty uneventful except it was getting hot. Coming out of the Jack lynch tunnel was tough and when we got up to mahon point around 9 miles my hips were at me and I was beginning to worry but kept motoring on. Luckily from mile 10 to 16 is mostly flat and the hip didn’t get any worse. Got through half way in 1:43 xx (official half marathon PB) and knew a negative split wasn’t going to happen as I wasn’t feeling the freshest. After the 3rd relay change over we went up the south link and then up a F#@Ker of a short steep slip road to get to 17m. Here I met the girlfriend and she gave me two gels (had taken 3 at this point). The plan was to take another at 20 and have one spare but when I reached 18m I took one as I felt it would be best to take it onboard as the hardest part of the course was coming up. 18.5m in I looked behind me and saw what I thought was the 3.30 pacers closing in on me and that was so disheartening (turned out it was the 1:30 half marathon pacer:rolleyes:) so I pushed a bit. Past the Lough I got a sponge and squeezed it across my neck and legs and it felt like heaven. My left hip flexor was giving out mad at this point also but not bad enough to slow me up. Down Past St Finbars cemetery and up a really steep hill onto the Wilton road. I was not expecting this but I just pulled back and tried not to push myself over the cliff. I made up any lost time going back down the other side towards Denehys cross so it was ok. Mile 21 came and with it the last few hills. Took my last gel and hoped it would give me some bit of relief. Mile 22 marker and a water stop and I knew it was flat from here. Coming in the straight road the wind was in our faces which made it that much tougher. Passed a poor guy panned out on the footpath (which at the time looked very comfortable) and I was really digging in now. 25 mile marker came and I looked at the watch and saw I had around 11 mins to do the last 1.22 miles if I was to break 3:30 and that felt good. I didn’t ease up as I felt if I slowed at all it might bring on a cramp or something. Finally, St. Patricks Bridge and the 26 mile marker. What a finish. The crowds were amazing and I consciously made myself take it all in. The announcer called out my name and said that I was going to brake 3:30 which was "a serious clip" apparently. Goosebumps everywhere. Crossed in 3:28:57 (chip) (7:55 average pace) and a 35min PB from DCM 2011. I'll never forget that last .22m . Pure magic.

Thats a super result and a pretty significant improvement.... Without going through the full log, what do you put the improvement down to? Your DCM wasn't too shabby so you've made you strides. Just interested to hear how you went about it

Eh just started doing more after dublin. Was introduced to speed work around christmas time ( which was a big shock to the system) but i think it gets you used to running at a faster pace . Got some great advice in this thread regarding sessions and learned alot about the technical aspects of training (lactate threshold, tempo etc). Boards has some serious runners with years of experience and are always willing to give advice and answer questions. (E.coli must be sick of my questions at this stage!!:o)
    I also joined a club and the difference that just running with people makes is huge. I started looking forward to LSRs and Speed sessions as they was always great craic at them (plus hard work:P) plus there are way better runners than me there to learn from.

Ya so just kept running really and started quality work. Did a good few shorter races too.

Congrats on the result

Just thought I would remind you of where you came from. Here is one of your first posts over a year ago to just highlight the progress you have made

From a lofty goal of sub 4 to expecting a sub 3.30 and delivering.Well done keep it up

Thanks E.coli. Much appreciated!

Eh just started doing more after dublin. Was introduced to speed work around christmas time ( which was a big shock to the system) but i think it gets you used to running at a faster pace . Got some great advice in this thread regarding sessions and learned alot about the technical aspects of training (lactate threshold, tempo etc). Boards has some serious runners with years of experience and are always willing to give advice and answer questions. (E.coli must be sick of my questions at this stage!!:o)
    I also joined a club and the difference that just running with people makes is huge. I started looking forward to LSRs and Speed sessions as they was always great craic at them (plus hard work:P) plus there are way better runners than me there to learn from.

Ya so just kept running really and started quality work. Did a good few shorter races too.
    BobMac104: I am doing a test in UCC to get LT and other things like that next week. It might be interesting for you as you look like you want to train at your top level. Its 120 notes but it may be of benefit. Maybe read up about it. It will give you an accurate picture of where you are and where you need to be training anyways.

oh Feck Rom the last thing I want to do right now is run myself to death on a treadmill !!!

I will have a read up on it though, nice one, as i dont fully understand it.

oh Feck Rom the last thing I want to do right now is run myself to death on a treadmill !!!

I will have a read up on it though, nice one, as i dont fully understand it.
    Doing it next monday so will let you know how I get on if your interested.

More info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055741913&page=3

Cool. looking forward to see how you get on

• Advertisement

BobMac104|7|46.2|32.45|981.1|I am including the marathon on monday in these totals|
    rom||||889m||
    Younganne|5|24.34|9.21m|439.93|really enjoyed Saturdays session, didn't do a LSR but have to get back to them|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

Brilliant running Bob well done. Sure was a warm day alright. I plodded around the half myself and enjoyed it. I quite like the course. T

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done Bob. I'm in awe of your progress. Keep up the PB smashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shivDCM

jaysis bob thats some improvement from Dublin. hats off. I think I'll be off down my local club to train for Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

All in all it sounds like just a lot of hard work. No shortcuts for that.
    Fair play and congrats to you. Great reward for the effort

Hey Folks

Be interested to find out how people got on this week especially with the MP run today. As the target key race is Dunshaughlin Saturday week the way the next few weeks are gonna pan out is that we are going to have a key 10k session Wednesday, easy week the following week to taper up and from their we are going to start building miles in the Marathon training block.

I dunno how many people are interested in me doing up a plan for that or whether you folk wanna go your own way and follow what ever plan you have already decided? Let me know what the interest is like anyway?

This week
    |Rest|5 mile easy|Session 1*|5m|rest|Session 2*|90 min easy

Session 1 - 1 mile warm up, 3 x 15 min @ 10k pace off 5 min rec 1 mile cooldown

Session 2 - Fartlek - 1 mile warm up, 8x2 min on(@5k pace), 2 min off, 1 mile cooldown

As always here to answer any questions

I am happy to keep following your torture sessions :) I am not doing a marathon this year but am trying to get my half time down, i guess that my aim for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

I'd definitely be interested in a plan e.coli. I would like to attempt something along the lines of P&D but I dont know how that will work with club sessions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Hey Folks

Be interested to find out how people got on this week especially with the MP run today. As the target key race is Dunshaughlin Saturday week the way the next few weeks are gonna pan out is that we are going to have a key 10k session Wednesday, easy week the following week to taper up and from their we are going to start building miles in the Marathon training block.

I dunno how many people are interested in me doing up a plan for that or whether you folk wanna go your own way and follow what ever plan you have already decided? Let me know what the interest is like anyway?

This week
    |Rest|5 mile easy|Session 1*|5m|rest|Session 2*|90 min easy

Session 1 - 1 mile warm up, 3 x 15 min @ 10k pace off 5 min rec 1 mile cooldown

Session 2 - Fartlek - 1 mile warm up, 8x2 min on(@5k pace), 2 min off, 1 mile cooldown

As always here to answer any questions

I'm doing Dunshaughlin too. Haven't been following your plan as I didn't think I was quite up to that intensity/volume just yet, but I'm nearly there.
    I'll definitely be following your plans for the next two weeks though, but maybe with slightly reduced volumes.
    Thanks - by the way! Great thread. :p

• Advertisement

Emer911 wrote: »
    I'm doing Dunshaughlin too. Haven't been following your plan as I didn't think I was quite up to that intensity/volume just yet, but I'm nearly there.
    I'll definitely be following your plans for the next two weeks though, but maybe with slightly reduced volumes. Thanks - by the way! Great thread. :p

Nothing wrong with this what I usually do regarding this is compare a schedule to what you are doing mileage wise atm. From there you can get percentage of the total volume to what you are doing and can apply this to the schedule to adapt it to suit your own needs

I have done this with some of the sessions applied here. The Wednesday session is actually an adaptation of Greg McMillans 3x2 mile session designed for 10ks I changed it to a time base as it makes it more suitable for each persons needs as 2 mile reps can at 45 min + 10k times in my mind is excessive. Here you are still getting the same benefits but the session does not become excessive

Advertisement