Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options
1404142434446»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

Rom
    thanks for that = I am trying it out now but my dog thinks it is a game for her to find the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

So hopefully the injury is sorted!
    5.6m on threadmill last night and i did the session from the plan today and very happy with how it went

2m warm up - 9.37/158, 9.30/162
    2m @ MP - 8.49/167, 8.52/173,
    4mins recovery - .35m walked a bit of this while changing display on garmin!!
    2m @ MP - 8.52/165, 8.50/170
    2.19m m cool down - 9.20/162, 9.25/161, (.19)9.15/165
    Total 8.54m

Planning on doing 4m easy tomorrow
    and 14m on Sunday!!:D

10 days to go!!!:eek:

BBC Weather Forecast
    Monday 29 Oct 7/17°C45/63°F -1/14°C30/57°F 21km/h13mph West South Westerly Sunrise 07:19 Sunset 16:57
    Weather forecast details for Monday 29 October TimeDay Night Weather Conditions Temperature (°C/°F) Highest temperature: 7°C45°F to 17°C63°F Lowest temperature:
    -1°C
    http://uk.weather.com/weather/dailyDetails-Dublin-EIXX0014?dayNum=9
    Monday, 29 October
    Day High 10°C Mostly Sunny Wind From West South West at 23 kmph Maximum Humidity 79% UV Index 1 Chance of Precip. 0% Avg. High. 13°C Record High N/A Sunrise 07:19 Night Low 5°C Partly Cloudy Wind From Southwest at 18 kmph Maximum Humidity 90% Chance of Precip. 0% Avg. Low 7°C Record Low N/A Sunset 16:58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

The last LSR is done... I've hit the 1000 miles for the year... what else was I supposed to be doing? :rolleyes:

oh Yea :D Just 8 more sleeps

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104| | | |1581.83| |
    rom| | | |1668||
    Younganne| 4| 32.47|95.76|975.44| Physio sorted me withthe dryneedling, back tonight for a final rubdown. Due to hit 1000m soon, it will be during the marathon, unless we are running 25m this week!!! |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3| |
    run44||||482.1m||
    Scriba ||||253.84m||
    Emer911|5 |33.97 |76.27 |986.97| Good week. Did both of the sessions (well, a version of them :rolleyes:) Feeling positive.

Physio sorted me with the dryneedling last week, back tonight for a final rubdown.
    Due to hit 1000m mark for the year very soon, it will be during the marathon, unless we are running 25m this week!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Right people we are in the last 7 days by now you should start to have ironed out all the little niggles and tiredness from the legs and come later in the week you may find yourself straining at the leash.

Here is this weeks training

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3 mile easy|3 miles|Session|2 miles easy|OFF|20 min recovery

Session: 1 mile warm up, 2 miles MP 3 min rec 6*80m strides, 2 miles easy

With this session it is a race simulation session. What this means is ideally what I want you doing is the exact same as you would on race day. Ideally I would like you to do this early morning (i.e around race start time on Monday). I wan you to wake up at same time you would on monday, eat the same breakfast do the same warm up routine, wear race shoes and race gear.

Why I want you to do this?

This session while gives you a taste of MP miles just to keep your legs in touch with quicker running while tapering, is more about the mental aspects. It helps you to deal with race morning nerves because you have already ran through it somewhat so you will have experience at being in the situation.

The other benefit is that it helps you getting the pace right in the early stages of the race when the adrenaline kicking in. By running through the routine it should help try and prevent you from going out too hard in the early stages.

Nutrition
    In terms of food many people think of the idea of "carbo loading" if you do plan to do this my advice is change the ratio of meals not the size because many people mistake gorging for carbo loading. My advice would be early in the week aim to have a higher protein content in your meals just to help aid growth and repair of muscles. Come Thursday or so you can change this focus to carb's but still retain some protein.

Try to cut out the red meat later in the weak as it is hard on the body to digest. Stick to chicken and fish if you can.

Sleep

The last two days are important not just the night before. If you are sleeping bad the few days building up the last night you will spend most of you time catching up on this sleep rather than entering REM sleep which is when recovery and growth occur so it is important to make sure you are well rested. If you can also short naps here and there during the week can work wonders however don't over sleep (i.e sleep so much during the day if you are up all night as a result)

Any other questions you have just ask and I will do my best to answer

Cheers, Ecoli,

Thanks a million for the weekly plans, advice, encouragement and support.

Its very much appreciated. :D
    Anne

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I listen to relaxation music that does help me unwind before a race like this. Very handy the night before the race when my mind is racing. If would like suggestions on what I find works, drop me a PM and I will be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Haven't posted on this thread in a while, best of luck to all running on Monday! :D

I know its a bit late and a fair few might not see this before tomorrow but best of luck. There has been some great training and for those that did follow the plan I set out take comfort in knowing you have ran about 100 miles at MP or faster atleast over the course of the plan so tomorrow will be no bother to you.

Hopefully this time tomorrow there will be PBs all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Go on the lads!!!!!!

Younganne: 3.57.44 big Neg split second half i reckon there is more to come from her in the coming months. Great run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Great run Anne well deserved for a great year of training.

30 Minutes off my PB and a Sub 4 to boot - Delighted - Training went really well this year
    3:58:27 - started to struggle from 20-25 and I started to drift from my sub-9 Minute mile pace - I reached 20 Mile in 2:59. My tactics of starting behind the 4:00 pacers and then slowly overtaking them worked - at 25 miles I heard someone say they were right behind me so I kicked on and did not let them pass so I knew I was a good minute inside 4 hours -Bit of a sore hip but no pain no gain :D:D:D

Full report tomorrow, but quick summary

‎3 things happened yesterday during the marathon.biggrin.png

1. I achieved the sub 4 i was chasing, 3.57.46
    2. I got a PB by 30mins 29sec
    3. I passed the 1000m challenge during mile 9.

So a great day all round.

only negative - RIP to 6 toenails!!!smile.pngeek.pngeek.pngthe usual happened in that i got all my blisters UNDER my toenails but its a small thing in the greater scheme of things!!

Great evening in McGrattans and got to met so many Boardsies, it was great!! You're all Legends... biggrin.png

I started the marathon with 3 fellow Boards ladies, Emer, Racheljev and LizzyC and i ran the whole way with LizzyC who turned into my personal pacer and kept me going through the tough time, which thankfully weren't too many, but there are quit a few gaps in my memory!!!!

Delighted to say a near perfect race, starting out nice easy pace and gradually getting faster . Mile 1 9.45, mile 26- 8.23biggrin.png

A big shoutout to ECOLI and a huge Thank you to him for the weekly training plans, some weeks i was thinking "you're kidding me" but followed them anyway and as he assured me it would it worked a treat!!!

And Thanks to all the other Boardiss for their encouragement and tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

I finally got a bit of time to write this up.
    In the weeks leading up to the race I created a spreadsheet (yes i have an addiction) so that I would have everything I would need as I didn't want to be put off by small things, probably to relax myself but it worked I found. I had 3 places booked for dinner on the Sunday night just incase I couldn't get what I wanted or they were too busy etc. I worked a bit less during the week and tried to get more sleep. Took an hour off each day. I was eating java cakes, drinking coke and pasta to come out my ears the night before. I probably over did it on the pasta. The morning coffee sorted most of that out. I drank 1/2 lucozade, 1/2 water and 1.5 nuuns after breakfast (same the night before) that I had at 6:30 in the hotel. I did not drink anymore from then as the nerves would have me going at the start. Had 2 slices of brown bread and a fruit bowl. I then had a banana 1 hr before the race like normal.

Anyways the race. I got there nice and early. I would say I was 40/45 mins early in the wave. It was very cold so I had a few layers on. Not planned I met a friend that had a 3:45 goal time. We chatted and I decided to run with him as he didn't mind going off at 7:30 pace as he felt like he was going to do a positive split after doing 3:55 in Cork this year. I was positioned near enough to the 3:15 pacers and was not focused on them but running my own race. I kept running with the buddy and kept the reins as he was weaving and going too fast. We settled into a relaxed pace and we made it into the park. I said to him to enough this relaxed peaceful sections and we did. I took 30/40s for a piss. Again he was pushing the pace a tad so i said for him to ease off it a tad and we did. I had a glance at the HR as it was over 170 and the effort felt a bit much. From the comrades reports people walk on the ups and run the downs so I said to him we would keep the same effort but slow the pace on the hills after the park as they were tricky last year as I tried to run up them last year. This worked very well and we both felt comfortable He was able to help me with the sports bottle as i diluted it at the 9 mile point.I was able to manage it myself at 18 latter. So then around 10.5 I felt a little cramp and needed to use the loo at the next water station, I did and lost 2+ mins there. He said he was probably going to ease off the pace latter in the race so I set out after him but was still running my own race purely on feel not looking at the watch much to be honest only looked at the mile splits readouts. I was sipping some bottle every 1/2 mile or when I needed it throughout. My right ITB started to cramp and I switched to the right side of the middle of the road so there would be less impact on my right leg due to the camber. It seemed to work. I also poured water on my leg to help it a bit. it seemed to work. It was in my head what a 2:20 marathoner said to me "Transport yourself to 20/22 and the race starts from there" so I had it in my head that after the RTE flyover I would drop the hammer. Right at the top of the flyover just as a shifted up the pace my buddy was there suffering like 90% of people and said to me to drive it home and that I did. Also for the water/sports drink changeover at 18 I was told that if I stopped or slowed I would cease up so i did it on the run. No nuuns at this point as it was too much effort. I had discovered that my bottle holder fits a lucozade bottle so I could just swap bottles so I still have the original bottle at home. This worked much better than I thought. Bottles were hard to get the top off so had to use my teeth to open the top. Tried my best to run the shortest path especially on the hills (everyone was taking heartbreak hill "one before flyover wide") don't know why. great support throughout from start to finish with my club singlet. So buddy says take it home and I did a 6:52 mile. From here on it was like a graveyard passing people no problem. I don't remember being passed by anyone for the last 4 miles. I was a man on a misson. I was like its 4 mile race and no one is taking this from me. I thought a sub 3:30 was defo even with 8+ miles but then I realised that a sub 3:20 could be possible. I was worried as the watch could only be set to 1.05/10.. for autolap (1.01 would have been ideal) that I would be short so I though 26.6 would be probably the finish distance. I was in dreamland. This sub 3:20 is mine. i was pushing hard, my toenails started to lift by last half mile but it didn't matter. I pushed on harder and harder with 2 7:15's and a sprint for the last .4 at 7 min pace. over the line 3:18:20 done. nice negative split and felt strong at the end. Final 10k being the fastest. Loads in the tank. Bring on Berlin ;)

In summary i felt the carb loading did work and being relax was very important also too. Friend did a 3:25 and was over the moon also. DCM 2011 4:30 monkey off my back.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/238608209

WOOO HOOOO - I love it when a plan comes together!!!:D

After DCM 2011 the plan was to try and keep running throughout the winter with the aim of doing a few more races and then probably doing Dublin Marathon again in 2012. We set up the continuing challenge log for a follow on from the Novices Thread and a good few of us continued to log mileage and keep it going.
    Then Ecoli came on board and decided to give us a helping hand with posting weekly plans with a goal race at the end of each plan. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to race the goal races but I kept the training going and I was seeing so great improvements in my racing times, so happy days.

So it was a natural progression to follow Ecolis marathon plan seeing as he was willing to keep posting them weekly and giving us help and guidance and great explanations for why we were doing the different aspects of the training.

I discovered that I love the hills and the intervals and there is very little of the plans that I didn’t like. A willing participant if you will. Bar an odd missed run due to a bit of trouble with my calf and a few missed runs because of ongoing Sinusitis, I reckon I did 90% of the runs. And more importantly I enjoyed them and it wasn’t a chore.

Roll on Dublin Marathon 2012 and I felt that there were a lot more eyes on me that normal, for some reason so I had to pull this sub 4 plan off. Lead by example and all that malarkey!!! A bit of a confidence crisis a few weeks out but I think that’s fairly normal!!

Race Day
    Up bright and early at 5.30 with a very restless night behind me and I was tired, nervous and excited all rolled into one big knot in my stomach!!. Porridge 3 hrs before my run was unheard of, I usually have it about 1.5 hrs but nothing I could do about it!!! My lift arrived at 6.10 and off to Dublin we went. We arrived at our destination to meet the work gang at 7am and had a few things to sort there and before I knew it I was on the start line, literaly!!

I popped back to the 4hr pacers and slipped in a bit back and just happen to spot Emer911 to my right, Racheljev was with her so introductions made although with Boards & FB, I felt that I knew her already!! 2 mins later and LizzyC just happened to arrive in beside us. So anyway the race started and next thing Wave 2 was off and running, well shuffling really but it had started!!

It was great that the 4 Boards ladies crossed the start line together, but I was amazed that with in about 2 mins, Emer & Rachel were about 5 rows of people ahead of us. Myself and Lizzy decided to try and stick together and get each other in under the 4hrs. We were both doubting ourselves yet believing it was possible at the same time. I knew it was possible but I was kinda afraid to believe it!!!

Our first couple of miles were nice and easy and the perfect warmup. Mile 3-4 going along North Circular road I couldn’t believe how heavy my legs were and I was just praying that they would warmup and loosen out...we kept an eye on the pace and the Pacers but didn’t worry too much about it at these early stages. Next thing we’re in the park and 5m done…wow 5m already, that flew by
    miles 1 -5 9.45, 9.10, 9.00, 8.59, 8.53

I spent the run up Chesterfield Ave looking out for a friend on the left and then hubby and kids with their posters on the right. They were in their designated area, so cheers, waves and high fives and on I went.
    Mile 6, Lizzy had to remind me to take my gel, I was a bit hyper. The she kindly told me to stop taking as she had to keep answering me and she was trying to conserve energy, so I told her I’d give her a break…I lasted .14 of a mile, she checked!!!
    What can I say I like to chat!!! Anyone who has met me might have noticed…

Heading out the park gates we came to an abrupt stop as everyone tried to filter out the smaller gap. Water station was a bit of a mess as there were no bottle out of the plastic covers and people were grabbing like it was the last drop for the rest of the course. The crowds there were fantastic all along there and I was keeping an eye for a few more people but couldn’t see them as there was just so many spectators. Up the road to the underpass and the crowd doing their chanting and there was a great atmosphere among the runners.

Then the first test. Up the hill no problems but I was suddenly sweating like mad but not feeling hot and feeling a bit unwell, but I put it down to the effort on the hill. Lizzy said she was similar a mile or 2 back and just take it easy breath and I’d be fine, which of course I was!!!

miles 6 – 10 - 9.05, 8.57, 8.59, 9.12 (the hill)9.00

We powered on and kept an eye on the pace but made sure we didn’t get carried away and go too fast. We had great fun reading the posters along the way and I have to say my favourite on of the day was
    Mortuary ahead – Look Lively” i saw this sign in 2 different places and made me smile on both occasions!

At 12.3 mile I took my second Gel, again nearly forgetting about it altogether!!

We passed the halfway mark pretty much on schedule in 2hrs even and were both feeling great. Then the miles just seemed to fly by, I remember being surprised when we got to some of the mile markers as I felt like we had just passed one but I took this as a positive. I remarked at one stage that I hadn’t noticed the 15m marked and to my delight I was informed that we had over 17m done!!! This happened again when I was looking for mile 17(haven forgotten we passed it earlier) to be informed that we had 19.9 Garmin miles done so marker 20 wasn’t far away.
    At about mile 17, I could feel the start of a headache coming on and I got a bit alarmed when I couldn’t read one of the posters as my eyes were a bit blurry so I drank a bottle of water and took my 3rd gel. This did the trick and I was ok again.
    Miles 11 – 20
    8.48, 9.08, 9.21, 8.55, 8.50, 9.05, 8.53, 8.50, 9.05, 9.03

I reckon I was in a trance for some of those miles I was finding it difficult in places but nowhere feeling the need to slow down or anything like that and I was flying in other places.

We were doing an imaginary baton passing exercise, as we were feeling the pressure at different time, so I’d “ carry the baton” for a few mile and then “ hand it over” for Lizzy to carry and lead! This worked great for us. Only for her company and support I really feel that I would have slowed down when the going got tough and let it slip through my fingers!!!
    At this stage I was foolishly beginning to think that I had missed the infamous hill as I thought it was at mile 18, but then there it was. 100m and it would be over is what I was told so off up the hill and it was fine, said now that’s done and on we went!!!

We were surprised how strong we were both feeling and we tentatively began to talk about pushing on, like the experts tell us but were still a bit afraid that it would all come crashing down around us…so we just kept going. The view from the top of Fosters ave was amazing, nothing only runners to be seen for the full stretch ahead. Next thing we are out on Stillorgan dual carriage and we are on the home straight!! Up and over the flyover and down Nutley….OMG we are at mile 22, last Gel taken dig deep, its starting to hurt but we are not stopping….
    Along side the RDS we catch the pacers and a quick chat, a bit of banter, comments on my running vest, my username which was on the vest and on we pushed!!!
    Splits - mile 21- 23 9.00, 8.53, 9.02

Mile 24, right that’s it, on we go. We were very excited as unless something disastrous was to happen we knew the sub 4 was in the bag. We were chomping at the bit, but my legs were getting very heavy, I kept trying to get Lizzy to push on but no she would not leave me, she was about 5m ahead of me and I just had to dig deep and keep going with here as I didn’t want to slow her down. I knew my gang were outside Trinity so while watching the crowd the next bit flew by and then I knew it was just around the corner and we were there. There was a point where I seemed to be on my own and people was roaring out my name and I felt so proud. My legs were screaming at me and by now my lungs were starting to hurt, all that talking was affecting me now!!! Lizzy was in front of me but getting further away and I just had to hold on, and keep chasing her.

Yes Yes Yes the line, its over Thank God!!!!! A few colleagues were on the finish line to wish me well but I was unable to talk, I was very emotional and very happy too and my legs nearly gave way. We were so thrilled that it was completed and of course we told each other then that we had no doubt that we knew we were going to do it!!!
    It the first time I have run a race with someone and I have to say it was the best experience in any race I have had to date.
    Maybe there was more in the tank because I knew if there was another mile I could have done it. But I’ll not know now and I’m not going to worry about a few seconds fast that might have been achieved, you never know it could have gone fhorribly wrong if we’d pushed from further out!!!
    Mile 24 – 26.44
    8.56, 8.43, 8.28, (.44), 8.23

Overall 26.44m in 3.57.46 chip time, Garmin time 3.57.46 @ avg 9.00/171hr. Calories burned 3599!!!
    I used 4 gels, half a bar of a nutty muesli thing at mile 18 and about 1.5l water. I never took my jellies or anything from the crowd and I managed with no toilet breaks!!!

Back to McGrattan after and got to meet so many Boards members it was fantastic. Also meeting the Novices and hearing how the race went for them was good to. I even bumped into my cousins and theire pals from USA who just happened to come into the same pub. While there I began to fell weak, sick and dizzy and I realised I hadn’t eating or drank anything since the race, not ever water so chocolate and coke was the diet for a bit, followed by soup and then a while later fish and chips. Back to the hotel shower and change and off to the pub when I finally managed to enjoy a few beers.

Whats next?
    Recovery, my poor toes will take a bit to recover and I might not be able to run for a few day but whats the rush, I have 6 weeks for recovery and build back up to a decent weekly mileage before the London marathon training has to kick in and I’m sure the plan will be very similar to this one as I have to say I couldn’t fault it.

Again a massive Thank you to Ecoli for the training plans, I know he says he just gives us the plans that we do the training but the correct plan is a half the battle.
    Thank you to everyone on Boards who give tips, encouragement and advice and the hand of friendship. Thanks you To all the different people I did the LSR with and to the girlies who weren’t doing the marathon but kept the advice and encouragement going.
    Thank you Lizzy for her company on the runs big & small and for her company, and encouragement through the marathon!!!
    And i have to say i have the best hubby who helps with the training by letting me get the runs in when i need to and i think he is starting "to get" this running lark!!!;)
    :D:D:D

Advertisement