Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|2|15m|47.47|996.1|two runs since marathon felt fine. bit heavy but no pain. happy out. Next run should bring me over the 1000mile mark|
    rom||||889m||
    Younganne||||439.93||
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

BobMac104|2|15m|47.47|996.1|two runs since marathon felt fine. bit heavy but no pain. happy out. Next run should bring me over the 1000mile mark|
    rom||||889m||
    Younganne|2|5.66m|14.87m|445.59| :eek::eek: |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

I only got out twice last week first was the "Fun Marathon Challenge" where 21 of us ran a relay marathon of 200m each x 10 times to cover 105.5 laps of the track to try and beat John Treacys marathon record of 2.09.56..we did it in 2.04.43, it was great fun, but a lot tougher than we imagined. i was left battered and bruised after it with pains in places i had forgotton about:eek:

The second run was Bohermeen 5k Race which i did in 24.01, a PB by 1.37 (previous PB 25.38) but it was not a great race as legs still knackered....and there is definielty more to come off that time...

Younganne wrote: »
    I only got out twice last week first was the "Fun Marathon Challenge" where 21 of us ran a relay marathon of 200m each x 10 times to cover 105.5 laps of the track to try and beat John Treacys marathon record of 2.09.56..we did it in 2.04.43, it was great fun, but a lot tougher than we imagined. i was left battered and bruised after it with pains in places i had forgotton about:eek:...

QUOTE]

that sounds like some laugh I wonder is there any world record for this?

I only got out twice last week first was the "Fun Marathon Challenge" where 21 of us ran a relay marathon of 200m each x 10 times to cover 105.5 laps of the track to try and beat John Treacys marathon record of 2.09.56..we did it in 2.04.43, it was great fun, but a lot tougher than we imagined. i was left battered and bruised after it with pains in places i had forgotton about:eek:...

QUOTE]

that sounds like some laugh I wonder is there any world record for this?

think that might be cheating, took 21 of us...don't know how he ran that fast for 26.2 miles...the world record is 2.03.XX and we did look at it when we saw we were close but in the end we were all too tired!!!:eek:

just did a lovely leisurely 3.35m recovery run in 32.56 so 9.50avg pace and the legs are fine...very tight on stretching but i'll get them sorted in the next few days
    The back of the knee is pulling a little bit but as soon as the running gear/runners went on, it was fine!!!
    I was very tempted to go further as its such a lovely day..but common sense took over!!!

• Advertisement

think that might be cheating, took 21 of us...don't know how he ran that fast for 26.2 miles...the world record is 2.03.XX and we did look at it when we saw we were close but in the end we were all too tired!!!:eek:

:D no i meant is there any world record for the fastest coverage of a marathon distance by a relay group.

but ya it is insane how fast they can run for 26.22 miles it think the av pace is 4:45 mm ish :eek:

QUOTE=BobMac104;79146210]:D no i meant is there any world record for the fastest coverage of a marathon distance by a relay group.
    oopps:o
    but ya it is insane how fast they can run for 26.22 miles it think the av pace is 4:45 mm ish :eek:
    you can go pretty fast too Bob, :D

Ha thanks Anne but id struggle to do 400m at that pace.

1001 miles woot!

BobMac104 wrote: »
    1001 miles woot!

Thats a great achievement Bob, you have over 2000 by years end!!!!(no pressure) are you planning Dublin? whats next on the cards for you??

• Advertisement

Ya dublin hopefully. but ill do a lash of short stuff for the next few weeks to try and get the speed up before hitting the LSR's again (ugh.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Nice one bob well done :)

ecoli wrote: »
    This week
    |Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5 mile easy|Session 1*|5m|rest|Session 2*|90 min easy

Session 1 - 1 mile warm up, 3 x 15 min @ 10k pace off 5 min rec 1 mile cooldown

Session 2 - Fartlek - 1 mile warm up, 8x2 min on(@5k pace), 2 min off, 1 mile cooldown

As always here to answer any questions

Can i just double check that is 3X15mins @ 10k pace and 5 mins recovery between each set Yes?? . Is it as hard as it sounds. I am not looking forward to this tomorrow at all :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Nules10 wrote: »
    Can i just double check that is 3X15mins @ 10k pace and 5 mins recovery between each set Yes?? . Is it as hard as it sounds. I am not looking forward to this tomorrow at all :eek:

It is a tough session without a doubt but remember to run this at current pace rather than goal pace. This is a key session before Dunshaughlin but just remember you have ran mile reps @ quicker paces of similar recovery. It will stand to you in terms of boosted fitness come the 10k

It is a tough session without a doubt but remember to run this at current pace rather than goal pace. This is a key session before Dunshaughlin but just remember you have ran mile reps @ quicker paces of similar recovery. It will stand to you in terms of boosted fitness come the 10k

Thanks ecoli, just in from doing the session and it was certainly tough. Found it a struggle to keep pace for the 3rd 15 min interval, actually i fell off pace completely.

Thanks ecoli, just in from doing the session and it was certainly tough. Found it a struggle to keep pace for the 3rd 15 min interval, actually i fell off pace completely.

I wouldnt worry too much normally its a session which is built up to in terms orf preparing the body so was gonna be a shock at the best of times but I can assure you 10 days before goal race its a great session to boost fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

BobMac104 wrote: »
    1001 miles woot!

1001 for me today :)

Ecoli i'm just getting the legs sorted and didn't run since short recovery run on Monday........Not sure if i can run tomorrow, have to wait and see, big knot in the calf that could not be removed fully for fear of doing greater damage, so will ease back into it when i can....You were saying todays session was a key session, should i do that one instead of Saturdays or just continue with the plan.....

Ecoli i'm just getting the legs sorted and didn't run since short recovery run on Monday........Not sure if i can run tomorrow, have to wait and see, big knot in the calf that could not be removed fully for fear of doing greater damage, so will ease back into it when i can....You were saying todays session was a key session, should i do that one instead of Saturdays or just continue with the plan.....

just continue on. It takes roughly 10 days to get the benefit from a key session like that so doing it any closer will hamper more than help for this race. You have been putting in the work though so I wouldn't worry too much about missing it

Thanks Ecoil, would have loved to try it, im definitely liking these sort of runs, so might sneak it in sometime when i've nothing better to do..after DCM of course;)

• Advertisement

Right people. Race week for those who are running Dunshaughlin and for those who aren't dont worry I will still do a non race schedule.

This week
    |Rest|3 mile easy|Session 1*|3m|rest|Race|60 min easy

Session - 1 mile warm up, 1 mile @ 10k pace, 3 min recovery, 2x400m @ 5k pace with equal recovery, 4x200m @ 1 mile pace off 200% recovery 1 mile cooldown

After this week we start a plan for Dublin for those of you who aren't convinced in following Hal Higdon or P & D. The first few weeks will be aimed at building the mileage slightly. This is also a good time if there are lurkers who wanted to hop in on the thread as I have heard a few people mention missing weeks here and there and as a result weren't fully sure about jumping back in

Best of luck for those racing at the weekend also

Ecoli i am doing the strawberry half on sunday next week. Will i just follow the above plan. I am not doing DCM but i am aiming for a sub2(again:rolleyes:) in the race series half in September. Just wondering could i follow the plan you will do for the marathon up to a point or just look for a plan thats specific to a half.

Ecoli i am doing the strawberry half on sunday next week. Will i just follow the above plan. I am not doing DCM but i am aiming for a sub2(again:rolleyes:) in the race series half in September. Just wondering could i follow the plan you will do for the marathon up to a point or just look for a plan thats specific to a half.

Do the same week except the following changes

Wednesday session - change paces the mile @ HMP, the 400s at 10k pace and the 200s @ 5k pace with the recoveries the same. This is just to get the legs a run out at race and faster than race pace

Saturday - 15 min jog followed by light strides of 60-80m with walk back recovery

Sunday - Race

I think that the marathon training will benefit you well for sure. The extra miles will boost your aerobic capacity and as you get nearer to the goal race I can slightly tweak the sessions to have a more HM emphasis if that suits you?

Great thanks a mil ecoli sounds good to me :)

BobMac104|5|30m|77.47|1024.1|Legs seem to be on the way back finally. Milage slowly climbing again|
    rom||||889m||
    Younganne|||14.87m|445.59| |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

Few nice handy runs this week. one or two where i felt awful. 10m LSR yesterday went well. Have new runners since Cork too which i feel like i am finally getting used to.

BobMac104|5|30m|77.47|1024.1|Legs seem to be on the way back finally. Milage slowly climbing again|
    rom||||889m||
    Younganne|2|14.45m|28.32m|459.04|another bad week for me, but will hopefully have a better week this week, finishing off antibiotics for sinus again and hope to be ready to tackle sub 50 for 10k in Dunshaughlin Sat evening |
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|

Well done Bob, you're recovered from Cork very well! Are you doing Dublin, starting training next week???

Well done Bob, you're recovered from Cork very well! Are you doing Dublin, starting training next week???[/Quote]

Ya ill head to Dublin alright id say. I might leave the marathon specific training for a few weeks yet and focus on shorter stuff. Ill keep up my Sunday runs to around 13 miles just to keep in touch with the long distance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

After this week we start a plan for Dublin for those of you who aren't convinced in following Hal Higdon or P & D. The first few weeks will be aimed at building the mileage slightly. This is also a good time if there are lurkers who wanted to hop in on the thread as I have heard a few people mention missing weeks here and there and as a result weren't fully sure about jumping back in

Hi ecoli, I'd be interested in that as well, not great fan of HH (running 3 days in a row :pac:). I'm running the race series (5m, 10m, HM), but not DCM this year. Then hopefully 5k in December.

I had few breaks due to being sick / busy with sport competitions, then was building up the distance and recently I'm doing some improvised sessions: Tue - sprints/hills, Thur - tempo, Sat - longer run (I use it to improve cadence at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭meijin

I'm doing the Irish Runner 5 Mile next Saturday, anyone else?

• Advertisement

Right people. The 18 week build up officially starts from tomorrow for DCM. Over the past few months we have been working on developing your all round running fitness and getting your shorter times down. From here we will be looking to take the next step in terms of training and build on your already established aerobic base.

For those not doing the marathon even though training will be geared towards DCM it is only in the last 8-10 weeks that it will be very specific to the event. So if you are aiming to target shorter distance races you will still find this programme helpful. Many of you will benefit from the increase aerobic base across all your distances especially from 5k up. If there are a few in this situation I can do a multi plan schedule in the last 8 weeks for those tagetting other events

The first few weeks we are going to curb back the quality work a bit and focus on increasing the workload slowly and safetly to allow the body to adapt to it. I will also aim to try and increase the frequency of running by one day to just leave one rest day. If you can't add another day dont worry

Here is the first weeks plan

This week
    |Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1*|6m easy|15 min recovery|4 miles steady|1 hr 45 easy

Session 1 - 1 mile easy, 20 min diagonals*, 1 mile easy

* - diagonals involve a football pitch where you stride from corner to corner of the pitch and your recovery between these is jogging lightly the width of the pitch. This should be all continuous running so take this in mind when you are doing the strides when you are determining effort. These should be comfortably fast, not hard or all out

- Steady running is slightly quicker than easy pace but slightly slower than marathon. Its the oxymoron of comfortably hard

- Recovery is basically atleast a min slower than easy pace it should be unconfortably slow

Any questions just ask

Advertisement