Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Super run Bob, well done. You're knocking loads of time off PB's at the moment. How are you feeling about Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey Guys, i was reading back over our DCM 2011 thread, especially the earlier part and a year in its amazing to see all the stuff we were asking about:eek:...we all have come some way since then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

shazkea wrote: »
    Super run Bob, well done. You're knocking loads of time off PB's at the moment. How are you feeling about Cork?
    Thanks Shazkea! I feel ok about it. I am a bit worried today wheather or not i have done all my long runs too fast but sure feck it. The marathon is always gonna be a tricky one I guess.

Younganne wrote: »
    Hey Guys, i was reading back over our DCM 2011 thread, especially the earlier part and a year in its amazing to see all the stuff we were asking about:eek:...we all have come some way since then;)

I can only imagine!!!!

Thanks Shazkea! I feel ok about it. I am a bit worried today wheather or not i have done all my long runs too fast but sure feck it. The marathon is always gonna be a tricky one I guess

Bob don't start stressing about it now... positive thinking and a firm belief in yourself. You have the miles in the legs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

@ Bobmac: Regarding the talk of long runs and the paces. Rom is on the right track regarding running LSRs too fast. This sometimes does not let your body develop in terms of glycogen utilization. The problem usually with this is that people run the LSR too fast and this is a result impacts on the rest of the week training (i.e an extra day or two to recover properly or running through without sufficient recovery which is even worse)

The good news is looking at your training a few things stand out which makes me feel this shouldn't affect you

1) Your weekly mileage has been consistently high enough that it should have helped your bodies ability to recover quicker from this LSRs and training in general

2) You seem to be handling consistent training with being able to run speedwork on a Tuesday after the long run and you dont seem to have many ill effects from it as you are clocking PBs consistently

I think Rom has made a valid point regarding people running too fast especially when they do not have the miles built up to allow their bodies to handle it (doesnt always result in injuries but can still have ill effects)

The main thing to do is when tapering dont go overboard. You need to reduce the volume without reducing the intensity. The easiest mistake to make is to take the foot off the gas in the taper and get to a point where come race day you become "stale".

In the week coming up to the marathon I always find a race day simulation training session works wonders. Get up same time you would for the race eat same foods dress in race clothes etc and warm up the way you would normally then run a mile or two @ MP. This should help calm the nerves on race day and reduce chances of getting caught up and going off too hard

• Advertisement

Thanks e.coli. I hope to fup youre right! If i blow up big time in cork ill be a good example to all in the novices thread to run their lsrs slowly!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Thanks e.coli. I hope to fup youre right! If i blow up big time in cork ill be a good example to all in the novices thread to run their lsrs slowly!!!!

You'll be grand. You LSR's are still slow enough. For example I know someone who does a 68 min mile 10 and he would do the same in like 72 mins in training which is kindof mad as he would be using it as a LSR and not a session. Quality sleep in the lead up to Cork is very important. If you can get good sleep that week then you be set. I use a relaxation mp3 that I put on every night to unwind as its easy to get stressed about it. It sounds a bit mental but it works. You need to feel mentally strong on the day also and being worried about it just drains you out.

Cheers rom. We have a good bit to go yet before the big day and taper madness i am true Will lead me to try anything!

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104||||770.5m||
    rom|7|60m|47m|770m||
    Younganne||||347.27m||
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    Scriba ||||172.48|

Hi Folks

Here is the plan for this week

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5 mile easy|1 mile easy, 8 x 1 min on/off fartlek 1 mile easy|5m|rest|5 miles easy|90 min Pace Change run*

* 20 min easy, 5 min HMP, 10 min easy, 20 min MP, 10 min easy,5 min HMP, 20 min easy

HMP - Half Marathon pace
    MP - Marathon pace

total run time: 90 min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

BobMac104||||770.5m||
    rom|7|60m|47m|770m||
    Younganne||||347.27m||
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    Scriba |2|15.68m|15.68m|188.16m| Some intervals and a short LSR of 10 miles over the weekend. Some light running this coming week, with Bandon Half on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Ecoli I am just coming back after injury and want to get back into some speed training would it be ok to jump back in or take it down a notch?

Nules10 wrote: »
    Ecoli I am just coming back after injury and want to get back into some speed training would it be ok to jump back in or take it down a notch?

Just had a quick look through your log. the fact you have managed to get in some easy miles over the last while to keep ticking over since the injury I would say your body should be able to handle the introduction of quality work again however take it handy

My advice would be to do roughly 50%-75% volume of training (i.e same training just less miles/reps)

In terms of the long run however I would keep it to a normal even paced effort just till your body adjusts back to the quality work

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

E.Coli sorry but I have another training question. I'm desperate for a structured plan at the min. There's 6/7 weeks till the DCM 18 wk plan starts. I desperately need some speed in the legs. I was thinking of doing the HH 10 km advanced plan for those 7 weeks? I'm doing around 30-35 miles a week now so I'm thinking that a bit of focus on speed now would be better than just churning out miles for the sake of it?
    Any help would be very welcome!!?

BobMac104|7|50.35|46.5|820.85m|good week 5m PB and 20mLSR|
    rom|7|60m|47m|770m||
    Younganne||||347.27m||
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    Scriba |2|15.68m|15.68m|188.16m| Some intervals and a short LSR of 10 miles over the weekend. Some light running this coming week, with Bandon Half on Saturday.

Delighted with the 5m race on thursday but it was definately still in the legs at the begining of LSR on sunday and took around 11 or 12 miles till i started easing out. the pace was a bit slower @8:15 for no other reason than thats what we ran at but it paid off i think as it felt very comfortable right till the watch beeped. Into final week before taper!!

E.Coli sorry but I have another training question. I'm desperate for a structured plan at the min. There's 6/7 weeks till the DCM 18 wk plan starts. I desperately need some speed in the legs. I was thinking of doing the HH 10 km advanced plan for those 7 weeks? I'm doing around 30-35 miles a week now so I'm thinking that a bit of focus on speed now would be better than just churning out miles for the sake of it?
    Any help would be very welcome!!?

To be honest the plan that I have been putting up week in/week out is ideal for that. The idea is to build up the fundamental all round running fitness fitness before we start on specific race training (in this case marathon training)

Though we are targetting Dunshaughlin 10k as a target race and the aim has been to achieve in the target races along the way
    In the fundamental phase we are laying the foundation for the marathon training cycle, so that when we start to
    build our race specific fitness in the Specific Phase we know that we will have a solid base to stand on.

There are two main goals in the the last few months training have been:
    1) We want to increase our base level of fitness as high as we can. Not just one component of
    fitness (like endurance) but all aspects of our running fitness.

2) We want to shore up any weaknesses we have, so that our base is even across the board and we don’t have any major areas that will hold us back
    In the second phase of the training cycle, the specific phase, we build up our goal race level of fitness.

To do so we will focus our work on the workouts which best prepare for the specific demands of the
    race. This lopsided approach (heavily loaded to certain workouts) in the specific phase will only work if
    we have a strong and even foundation from which to build upon. That is what we have been doing since this thread started, building the base from which the specific phase can reach the highest specific
    fitness level.

Regarding what Ecloi is saying i definitely have noticed the difference in my overall fitness as a result of following the plan. I follow the plan almost to the letter, except for a few extra mile now and again and i am definitely paying more attention to pace and trying to keep the pace correct at all times.

I got my first reward on Sunday when i knocked exactly 4mins off my 10k PB..going from 54.00 to 50.00 and i definelty contribute this to the variation in the training plan.
    Thanks Ecoli.

Lots of PB have been achieved by the lads in the group who are following the weekly plan..:D

BobMac104|7|50.35|46.5|820.85m|good week 5m PB and 20mLSR|
    rom|7|60m|47m|770m||
    Younganne|5|24.93|24.93|372.20m|Delighted with my new PB of 50.00 in the Boyne 10k|
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||

Great running lads, the miles are clocking up nicely. Bob you have taper madness to look forward to:D

Great running lads, the miles are clocking up nicely. Bob you have taper madness to look forward to:D

its creeping up already i fear

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

ecoli wrote: »
    To be honest the plan that I have been putting up week in/week out is ideal for that.

Thats great E.Coli. I think I will go back through the log and print them all off. I started back at the start but have been injured since January....only at a stage now where I can commit to any sort of a plan. As Anne was saying the speed sessions are definitely great with respect to the shorter races. I'm really looking forward to a new start now :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Wont bother updating the table this week. Its not worth it. Bad week from a personal point. But back at it today with 5 miles and the Ballina half marathon on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

BobMac104|||46.5|820.85m||
    rom|||47m|770m||
    Younganne|||24.93|372.20m||
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    Scriba |3|23.52|39.2m|221.7m| Good week, satisfying midweek tempo run, a 1st HM (with obligatory PB :P 1:49:01), and a Sunday recovery run. And now over 200 miles run! :D

Plan for week is to rest tomorrow, and give Ecoli's plan a try for the next few weeks.

rom|6|31m|78m|801m|PB 1 Mile race with 5:44, Vdot increase of 7 from Jan|
    Younganne|||24.93|372.20m||
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    Scriba |3|23.52|39.2m|221.7m| Good week, satisfying midweek tempo run, a 1st HM (with obligatory PB :P 1:49:01), and a Sunday recovery run. And now over 200 miles run! :D

rom|6|31m|78m|801m|PB 1Mile race with 5:44, Vdot increase of 7 from Jan|
    Younganne|1|5.13|30.06|377.33m|only 1 session this week :eek:(6k race) on friday. Im on antibiotics for Sinus infection and decided to take it easy...Both hamstrings and the IT Bands are tight since race on Friday so getting rub on Tuesday to sort them and then get back into it. I'm going to take it a little bit easier for the next week or so as next race not till June 9th in Bohermeen|
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||

BobMac104|5|45.0|91.5|865.85m|missed a run or two but got main sessions in so happy enough. 20m lsr @8:09|
    rom|6|31m|78m|801m|PB 1Mile race with 5:44, Vdot increase of 7 from Jan|
    Younganne|1|5.13|30.06|377.33m|only 1 session this week :eek:(6k race) on friday. Im on antibiotics for Sinus infection and decided to take it easy...Both hamstrings and the IT Bands are tight since race on Friday so getting rub on Tuesday to sort them and then get back into it. I'm going to take it a little bit easier for the next week or so as next race not till June 9th in Bohermeen|
    red face dave ||||291||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||

Had few family things on this week so missed wednesday run but got the main work outs done. 1000's on tuesday and hills on thursday. 20m lsr yesterday I found tough at the end. I reckon i got pretty dehydrated as it was roasting and i only had two isogels with no water :rolleyes:. It was a bit of a knock to the confidence but there is noting more i can do at this stage because its taper time! let the madness begin.

20m lsr yesterday I found tough at the end. I reckon i got pretty dehydrated as it was roasting and i only had two isogels with no water :rolleyes:. It was a bit of a knock to the confidence but there is noting more i can do at this stage because its taper time! let the madness begin.

Bob I reckon you give your answer above and there's no need to fell unconfident..your training has been top class...just make sure that you keep well hydrated all the time because as well as helping you to cope with the LSRs & training it's also vital for good recovery...so grab a glass now and fill it up;)

Had few family things on this week so missed wednesday run but got the main work outs done. 1000's on tuesday and hills on thursday. 20m lsr yesterday I found tough at the end. I reckon i got pretty dehydrated as it was roasting and i only had two isogels with no water :rolleyes:. It was a bit of a knock to the confidence but there is noting more i can do at this stage because its taper time! let the madness begin.

Defo should be taking more gels than that. I thought of gels before like things you need to stop you from keeling over but they should be taken on training runs also. So I take 2 on a 2hr run now, this is advise from my dietitian. Basically you don't want to start burning mussel for energy. Also regarding hydration. A half sports drink half water mix I find great. Much better than either on their own and cheaper too. I use the aldi one. I used to think a LSR was something that you should feel crap by the end of it. Now not so much. You (depending on the gels, i use Hi 5) need 4/5 for that run. Also planning hydration (even if you don't feel you need it) is super important. Not saying that you may feel you need it for the run but you will feel 100 times better after it if you do.

Like I have run 10 Mile races without taking any water so I know what you mean. Don't worry about it. It was a hot enough day and probably down to hydration. There will be loads of that liquid stuff in Cork :) to sip.

Younganne wrote: »
    Bob I reckon you give your answer above and there's no need to fell unconfident..your training has been top class...just make sure that you keep well hydrated all the time because as well as helping you to cope with the LSRs & training it's also vital for good recovery...so grab a glass now and fill it up;)

ha thats gas i was just taking a swig from my bottle when i read that! its something that i am not very good at tbh but not from today on!! Thanks Anne

rom wrote: »
    Defo should be taking more gels than that. I thought of gels before like things you need to stop you from keeling over but they should be taken on training runs also. So I take 2 on a 2hr run now, this is advise from my dietitian. Basically you don't want to start burning mussel for energy. Also regarding hydration. A half sports drink half water mix I find great. Much better than either on their own and cheaper too. I use the aldi one. I used to think a LSR was something that you should feel crap by the end of it. Now not so much. You (depending on the gels, i use Hi 5) need 4/5 for that run. Also planning hydration (even if you don't feel you need it) is super important. Not saying that you may feel you need it for the run but you will feel 100 times better after it if you do.

Like I have run 10 Mile races without taking any water so I know what you mean. Don't worry about it. It was a hot enough day and probably down to hydration. There will be loads of that liquid stuff in Cork :) to sip.

Ya i am pretty bad at taking water and gels. most of the LSRs i would take a gel at around 10 miles its only recenlty that i started taking two with me. I like the diluted sports drink idea as i find them way too sickly sweet. In terms on brands of gels i usually use the kinetica iso gels as they are not too unpleasant to take but have been taking all sorts of ones the past few months. Ya loads of water in cork so ill make sure to keep on top of it. (i hope its not a scorcher)

• Advertisement

Ya i am pretty bad at taking water and gels. most of the LSRs i would take a gel at around 10 miles its only recenlty that i started taking two with me. I like the diluted sports drink idea as i find them way too sickly sweet. In terms on brands of gels i usually use the kinetica iso gels as they are not too unpleasant to take but have been taking all sorts of ones the past few months. Ya loads of water in cork so ill make sure to keep on top of it. (i hope its not a scorcher)
    Don't forget the chart ;)

http://performance.borgessweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Urine-Hydration-Chart.jpg

Advertisement