Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Half marathon yesterday and got over the line in 2:06, that was a PB by 12 mins.

The last 4km were hard but i had only done limited running so far this yr but my time was better even with the bad heat.

I have another half in Portlaoise on the Aug bank holiday Monday and hope to get closer again to my season goal of sub 2hr.

Running will be limited this week with a tri on sat but then i have 5 weeks of hard training for my 1st Olympic tri which will help me with my general fitness and i intend to be at 15 mile LSR by then !

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

Week 1 of Intermediate 1 comleted last night.
    Swim,3,5,3,Rest,8,5.
    Was in pool at lunchtime stretching it out. Good week, I,ll see how I go on this plan, not going to be stupid though, if it starts becoming too much, i,ll go back to novice.
    Good work everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles/km This Week|Comments
    RayCun|4|31.3km|two club sessions, two recovery runs|
    meijin|4|28.5km||
    Vagga|3|24 Miles|Being careful with an injury limited me to 3 runs|
    shels4ever|6|54|Mostly easy runs, 1 long run and one steady run|
    Bally8|4|20.85 miles|This is my second week of Novice 2. Got an easy run, a PMP, a easy run with strides and a 9 mile lsr in. Out on the kayaks twce this week too. Happy days!|
    Nules10|4|21.52 miles|On week 5|
    Duckee|4|24.4km|week 1 down. 1 long run, 3 easy. Trying to learn how to run slow on mid-week runs|
    liamog|3|27.64km|Week 1 finished, a 5km BHAA Race and then two more runs to round it off|
    Concerned2|5|27.17 miles|Missed 1 planned session, legs currently have loads of aches|
    cr17|5|24 miles||

that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

Right... Thanks Raycun, tried editing the table but failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Well lads, I have made up my mind. I am going to do the marathon. I'm currently training for the 15 mile race in Killarney which is in two weeks once that is out of the way I am going to start the hard road ahead. Always wanted to do one so this is it. Any suggestion for which plan would be best to follow. I don't think I am to late to start or am I.

• Advertisement

If you're ready for a 15-miler, you're okay to start marathon training. Have a look over the thread, we're using a Hal Higdon novice plan

Thanks Raycun think I will jump into Week 4 in two weeks time. Do you think if I was to follow this plan would I get anywhere near under 4 hours. You would think I be happy with just finishing it:). Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Thanks Raycun think I will jump into Week 4 in two weeks time. Do you think if I was to follow this plan would I get anywhere near under 4 hours. You would think I be happy with just finishing it:). Sorry for all the questions

Your 15 mile time will give a very good indication, but primary aim is to enjoy and finish your first one with a smile on your face.

That's what I was thinking today also. But one of my friends was talking about times and I was thinking if he can so can I but I think I will just be happy to finish it with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

That's what I was thinking today also. But one of my friends was talking about times and I was thinking if he can so can I but I think I will just be happy to finish it with a smile.

its hard not to get wrapped up in times when everyone around you is talking about it. I am the same but i remind myself that to get to the start line and to finish it is a huge achievement...... but then i still think hmmmm wonder should i aim for a time.... like 4.30 :) Good luck with it red face dave.... any sign of that log starting yet :D

• Advertisement

Nules I cant bring myself to do a log don't think its for me but I do enjoy reading yours but someday I will start one I swear.:P

I will start training just hoping to finish but like you will have a time in the back of mind who would have thought a year ago that I would be training for my 1st marathon. Really I am only doing it because I have a free entry from a competition I entered and only came second so this a runner up prize, some prize this is 26.2 miles of pain

Really I am only doing it because I have a free entry from a competition I entered and only came second so this a runner up prize, some prize this is 26.2 miles of pain

Dear god what was first prize.... entry for an Ultra marathon :D
    At least log your progress here so we can keep an eye on you ;)

U prob know the comp it was run by a well known chain store. Wont say the name don't think its allowed. Got free gear and also entered into race series. Will defo log in here find this much easier.

I am doing a 5 mile pace run in the morning what does this mean ???

Nules10 wrote: »
    I am doing a 5 mile pace run in the morning what does this mean ???

In a Higdon plan, that would be Planned Marathon Pace - about 10 minute miles if you're thinking of of 4.30 finish, 9 minute miles for 4 hours, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

This week's group LSR will be as follows:

Time: Saturday 9th July
    Meet: Papal Cross 9am
    Session: LSR 9:15 - 9:30 pace

Confirmed:

Pistol_75 12 miles
    Mr Slow 12 miles

Don't be put off by the pace, we can have two pace groups if necessary.

Here is the link to add your name to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

There is a run on Saturday and Sunday - and I have put both on there now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

hi all .... I have decided to do the DCM this year, as time is passing and I want to have one marathon under my belt before its too late! (hope that doesnt sound too morbid)

I am 43, and been running (jogging!) for a few years on and off. I did a few triathlons in 2008 & 2009 but not much since. Best time 5k about 26 mins , and 10k 56 mins. I am following the HH Novice 2 plan. I had to repeat the first week twice (as I could not do 8 miles in one attempt), so although I am on week 4 of the plan, I am actually in my 6th week..... if ya get me.

I just heard of this thread from a work collegue, so I am delighted to find so many like-minded boardsies here !

Whats this log thing? (I saw a table a few pages back) Should I re-post it at the end of the week with my milage?

I had to repeat the first week twice (as I could not do 8 miles in one attempt), so although I am on week 4 of the plan, I am actually in my 6th week..... if ya get me.

Try slowing down some more on those long runs. You might feel that you're going too slow, but better to go slow and finish the distance than faster and have to stop.
    Whats this log thing? (I saw a table a few pages back) Should I re-post it at the end of the week with my milage?

You can add your last week's runs to the table now if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

meijin|4|28.5km||
    Bally8|4|20.85 miles|This is my second week of Novice 2. Got an easy run, a PMP, a easy run with strides and a 9 mile lsr in. Out on the kayaks twce this week too. Happy days!|
    Duckee|4|24.4km|week 1 down. 1 long run, 3 easy. Trying to learn how to run slow on mid-week runs|
    liamog|3|27.64km|Week 1 finished, a 5km BHAA Race and then two more runs to round it off|
    Concerned2|5|27.17 miles|Missed 1 planned session, legs currently have loads of aches|
    cr17|5|24 miles| |
    Rider|4|17m|This is the 3rd wk of HH plan so quite easy. Didnt do a XT this week|

thx Ray. I do about a 9 min mile . I thought that was slow. Hoping to do DSM in 4 hours.

I had some trouble with my cotton T's on the long runs (they cling, and cause chaffing), and a quick search of Boards told me to try UnderArmour. So I got a couple in TK Max and it seems to have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

RayCun wrote: »
    If you're ready for a 15-miler, you're okay to start marathon training. Have a look over the thread, we're using a Hal Higdon novice plan

I did my 2nd half on sunday and can't focus on the marathon until Aug 13th but i will be training hard for an olympic tri until then. I'll also be at about a 15 miler so is it possible.

I have a probs with the auld ankles so will be doing some cycling and swimming instead of runs but will get out 3 times a week.

thx Ray. I do about a 9 min mile . I thought that was slow. Hoping to do DSM in 4 hours.

I had some trouble with my cotton T's on the long runs (they cling, and cause chaffing), and a quick search of Boards told me to try UnderArmour. So I got a couple in TK Max and it seems to have helped.

A 9 minute mile is your planned marathon pace, if you want to finish under 4 hours. In the HH Novice 2 plan, most weeks will have a run at pace, which should be 9 minutes miles, but everything else should be slower, more like 10 minute miles.

Cotton is bad for chafing, but any kind of technical fabric will be better - Nike Dri-fit, Mizuno Drylite, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Good luck folks - did DCM last yr and popped in and out of the boards thread.

It looks fantastic this year with the lotto behind it.

I'm sitting it out as did Cork last mth and dont want to cripple myself!

Enjoy the training!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

meijin|4|28.5km||
    cr17|5|24 miles| |
    Rider|4|17m|This is the 3rd wk of HH plan so quite easy. Didnt do a XT this week|
    Househunter|4|35m|First week of P&D, 1 long, 2 slow, 1 tempo|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just a suggestion- feel free to ignore me but Im wondering if we could stick to either miles or kms on the table? I dont mind which one but think it would be easier to read if we all had the same units of measurement for the table

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

meijin|4|28.5km||
    cr17|5|24 miles| |
    Househunter|4|35m|First week of P&D, 1 long, 2 slow, 1 tempo|
    Mr Abbey|4|15 miles|Week 1 HH Novice 1. Nice & Easy No problems|
    [/QUOTE]

Hi guys, have been keeping an eye on here but first post. Doing HH Novice 1. First marathon, couple of 10ks last year, average 52 mins. Did week 1 no problems. Everyone in table seems to be way ahead in mileage already, what plans are most people here following. Thanks

Mr abbey wrote: »
    Doing HH Novice 1. First marathon, couple of 10ks last year, average 52 mins. Did week 1 no problems. Everyone in table seems to be way ahead in mileage already, what plans are most people here following. Thanks

Some people are on the same plan but started earlier, so they're doing longer runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Some people are on the same plan but started earlier, so they're doing longer runs.
    Others, like me, have changed things around a bit, due to missing weeks and weekends later on. So are running more now.

The training plans are a guide, your own life circumstances may need you to change things, so as long as you roughly stick to the spirit of the plan your fine to change details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Week 1 - 4 runs Total mileage 17.65 miles.

Looking at everyone elses, seems a bit short but that's what the plan says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

hey guys

I am new to these boards, I am looking to do dublin this year (my first) and will probably go with HAl higdon novice2 plan. but with 16 weeks to go where should i start from do you reckon?.

a bit of backround...

I only recently took up running again (3/4 months? ) I run around 20mpw on average , I do a 10k in 52 mins ( i know there is a sub 50 there for me soon!). My longest recent run was 16 miles which i couldnt walk up or down the stairs after for a couple of days and i am in my mid 20's.

anyway , basically my (lofty?) goal would be to (finish ..) do a sub 4 hour is this do-able for me ?
    any advice is much apreciated (sorry if this is in the wrong place)
    thanks in advance

Advertisement