Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|7|60.35m|139.35m|676.9m|Another solid week. Legs are good. |
    Younganne|||24.59m|271.56||
    red face dave |||17|239|
    Nules10 ||||256.3||
    run44||||297.6m||
    shazkea||||64|
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    scriba |||26.35m|138.92m||

Good week. happy with this. I was really tired on the last two reps of the 8x400m on tuesday but thats to be expected i guess. another 20m LSR yesterday. I dunno of ill go any higher than this. Legs feel fine this morning.I might go for a rub this week just to flush em out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Younganne|4|16.71|41.30m|288.27m|got out 4 runs this week but no long run, will use it as a stepback week!|
    red face dave |||17|239|
    Nules10 ||||256.3||
    run44||||297.6m||
    shazkea||||64|
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    scriba |||26.35m|138.92m||

Great running Bob, you are flying at the minute...i think a lot of the more experienced runners would agree with you that there is no need to go further that a 20m LSR, but you'd maybe benefit from a 3rd LSR of 20m.
    I know the higher mileage training plans usually have 2 or 3 20m LSR, but i would definitely say see how you feel, you don't want to overdo it either and you are doing a lot of mileage and sessions weekly....but fair play for that!!

Thanks Anne,
    Ya I just worked out that i have 4 more sundays before i begin tapering so to be honest i dont know what to do really. should i continue on and do 4 more LSRs or maybe take a step back week for one of them? any opinions are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Great running Bob! My humble opinion would be take a step back week for one as you are already ahead of the game with 20m LSRs under your belt already. I'd wait for some of the experts to come forward on this one too though:)

Seeing as I seem to be the only one who ended up doing the Great Ireland Run I'll post my time

49:40:D:D:D

Thanks for your training guidance Ecoli.

Now next question - I'm running in the Samsung Night Run in 2 weeks. I think it's a flat course so should I try to take some time off my new PB? What training should I do between now and then? Any advice on this would be much appreciated

Thanks Cutex!

And great running in the 10k!!

• Advertisement

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Thanks Anne,
    Ya I just worked out that i have 4 more sundays before i begin tapering so to be honest i dont know what to do really. should i continue on and do 4 more LSRs or maybe take a step back week for one of them? any opinions are welcome.

bob i'm no expert but i would look at somethin like this

Sun 22nd April - step back week - 12m
    Sun 29th April - LSR 20m(this would be your 3rd 20m)
    Sun 6th May - LSR 12m
    Sun 13th May - LSR - 16m
    Sun 20th May - LSR 12m
    Sun 27th May - Lsr 8m
    Sun 3rd June - 2/3m easy

You have done your last 2 20m LSRs back to back i think, so you need to let the legs rest so definitely a step back week!! .......but i could be completely wrong on this...see what Ecoli and some of the other lads with more experience think
    Cutex wrote: »
    Great running Bob! My humble opinion would be take a step back week for one as you are already ahead of the game with 20m LSRs under your belt already. I'd wait for some of the experts to come forward on this one too though:)

Seeing as I seem to be the only one who ended up doing the Great Ireland Run I'll post my time

49:40:D:D:D

Thanks for your training guidance Ecoli.

Now next question - I'm running in the Samsung Night Run in 2 weeks. I think it's a flat course so should I try to take some time off my new PB? What training should I do between now and then? Any advice on this would be much appreciated

Congrats Cutex, a fantastic time, i hoipe to get close to that by the end of yr for my 10k....as for whats next, i think maybe just do the last 2 weeks of your 10k program again and you will probably knock a bit more time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Good week. happy with this. I was really tired on the last two reps of the 8x400m on tuesday but thats to be expected i guess. another 20m LSR yesterday. I dunno of ill go any higher than this. Legs feel fine this morning.I might go for a rub this week just to flush em out.

Hey Bob great to see you have already got a sigificant amount of LSRs done. I think 1 more twenty miler in them 4 weeks and possibly a 15 mile steady run (slightly quicker than usual LSR pace but below marathon pace) the week before you start your taper coupled with 2 other medium length LSRs take as slightly stepback weeks. (roughly about 2 hours or below on your feet) would be sufficient on these weeks

Youngannes layout is generally a good one there in terms of where to put these runs in the calendar (that 15 mile steady where she has the 16 miler LSR)

Congrats Cutex, a fantastic time, i hoipe to get close to that by the end of yr for my 10k....as for whats next, i think maybe just do the last 2 weeks of your 10k program again and you will probably knock a bit more time off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Anne! With your training sub 50 should be no bother to you, I look forward to reading that race report;)

So that means a rest day today:D back to it tomorrow!

Cutex wrote: »

I reckon there no reason why you cant go after another PB in two weeks. The idea behind this training even though we put in target races is to consistently improve step by step. I wouldn't change training too much from the usual plan just make sure to give yourself enough recovery from yesterday and next week to easy up a bit coming to the race.

In terms of target races to keep people motivated over the summer anyone have any in their sights or what would be the general consensus about what distance to train for over the next few months in before most people start into their DCM training?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ecoli wrote: »
    In terms of target races to keep people motivated over the summer anyone have any in their sights or what would be the general consensus about what distance to train for over the next few months in before most people start into their DCM training?

Dunshaughlin 10k? (23 June)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Younganne|4|16.71|41.30m|288.27m|got out 4 runs this week but no long run, will use it as a stepback week!|
    red face dave |||17|239|
    Nules10 ||||256.3||
    run44||||297.6m||
    shazkea||||64|
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    scriba |3|19.25|45.6m|158.18m|1 Tempo, 1 short easy, and 10 mile race on Sunday! This week, I'm going to jump into Hal Higdon intermediate Half Week 9.|

Completed my first race, and delighted with the result, 81:58. I took it handy for the first four miles, and passed the five mile marker with a man shouting 42 minutes and 7 seconds at me. When I figured out that this was my rough split (my head was all over the place), I got a huge boost! I was wrecked for the last half mile, but it didn't matter. Can't wait for the next race. :P

Thanks all again, for the great advice. This warm-up couple of kilometres lark is the business!

Congrats Cutex on your excellent time, especially after all the drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

scriba wrote: »
    Completed my first race, and delighted with the result, 81:58. I took it handy for the first four miles, and passed the five mile marker with a man shouting 42 minutes and 7 seconds at me. When I figured out that this was my rough split (my head was all over the place), I got a huge boost! I was wrecked for the last half mile, but it didn't matter. Can't wait for the next race. :P

Congrats scriba on an excellent time and a great race! You're hooked now like the rest of us ;)

Great running scriba!!

Younganne wrote: »
    bob i'm no expert but i would look at somethin like this

Sun 22nd April - step back week - 12m
    Sun 29th April - LSR 20m(this would be your 3rd 20m)
    Sun 6th May - LSR 12m
    Sun 13th May - LSR - 16m
    Sun 20th May - LSR 12m
    Sun 27th May - Lsr 8m
    Sun 3rd June - 2/3m easy

You have done your last 2 20m LSRs back to back i think, so you need to let the legs rest so definitely a step back week!! .......but i could be completely wrong on this...see what Ecoli and some of the other lads with more experience think

Hey Bob great to see you have already got a sigificant amount of LSRs done. I think 1 more twenty miler in them 4 weeks and possibly a 15 mile steady run (slightly quicker than usual LSR pace but below marathon pace) the week before you start your taper coupled with 2 other medium length LSRs take as slightly stepback weeks. (roughly about 2 hours or below on your feet) would be sufficient on these weeks

Youngannes layout is generally a good one there in terms of where to put these runs in the calendar (that 15 mile steady where she has the 16 miler LSR)

Thanks E.coli and Anne!! great suggestions! Thanks for laying that plan out Anne looks really good. My only question would be with the 6th of may. Would it be a good idea to include another one of those steady 15m runs there maybe instead of another step back week?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Thanks guys, hooked indeed! :D

Bob, you're a machine. I dream of having a 'solid' week like yours! Well done :)

@Ecoli, I have no plans for racing over the summer yet, short of doing the Bandon Half Marathon in mid May. The plan then is to up the mileage after, towards having a crack at DCM. But some 10k and 10 mile races would be good.

Thanks E.coli and Anne!! great suggestions! Thanks for laying that plan out Anne looks really good. My only question would be with the 6th of may. Would it be a good idea to include another one of those steady 15m runs there maybe instead of another step back week?

I would say 12 - 14 miles that week easy otherwise its three hard long runs in a row and could end up overdoing it

scriba wrote: »
    Thanks guys, hooked indeed! :D

Bob, you're a machine. I dream of having a 'solid' week like yours! Well done :)

I am far from a machine. i've just gotten hooked the same as yourself.

Scriba congratulation on completing your first race and in a fantastic time too. I hope your are delighted with yourself...
    as for a steady week, don't worry it will come in time.....we all had to start and build it up gradually so no bother to you.

Ecoli, my plans are a bit like this:

May
    06/05/2012 10k Boyne 10K Drogheda
    10/05/12 4m Fun Run incorporating the D.M.R. Coiste Roinne Inter-District 4 Mile Road Race 2012
    11/05/2012 6k Simon Cumber & Paddy Hyland 6k Road Race Navan AC Claremont Stadium, Navan

June
    09/06/2012 5k Patrick Bell Memorial 5k Road Race & Fun Race Bohermeen AC Bohermeen Community Centre
    15/06/2012 5k Trail run The Braveheart 5k Trail Run Trim AC .Porchfields,Trim, Co. Meath (this one is probably the one that will get dropped)
    23/06/2012 10K Michael Manning 10k Road Race & Fun Run Dunshaughlin Ac Dunshaughlin Community Centre
    30/06/2012 Irish Runner 5m Dublin Race Series

July 04/07/2012 5K South O'Hanlon 5k Road Race & Fun Run South O'Hanlon Senchelestown GAA Centre
    22/07/2012 Fingal 10k Dublin Race series (maybe)

I was trying to do a few races more local to me in Meath but it is looking a bit busy at times, especially in June, so i might have to drop one or two but i'll see nearer the time and see how the form is...I had hoped to do all the race series but I'll have to fit holidays in there somewhere too!!

wow hectic race schedule there Anne! You'll be flying come DCM!

Hey Bob, its just to get the dates out to see whats what, but i seriously doubt i will manage to do them all, but i really would love to get a lot of them done!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for advice Ecoli (again). Thinking of going for 48 seeing as its a flatter course. Going back over your training plan for the past 2 weeks as Anne suggested and keep fingers crossed!

Well done Scriba-fantastic running! Welcome to addictive world of running & racing :D I didn't do my proper warm up and felt it over the first couple of K's but I'll know better next week!

I'm doing Samsung 10k next, followed by Terenure 5 mile. Then on holidays to lanzarote;) so no plans for June yet except the start of the race series. I'm open to suggestions though.

What distance do you think we should be targeting next or what specific training?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

rom|8|58m|133m|646m|looking forward to starting marathon training after Cork 1/2 now.(another table to update) |
    red face dave |||17|239|
    Nules10 ||||256.3||
    run44||||297.6m||
    shazkea||||64|
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    scriba |3|19.25|45.6m|158.18m|1 Tempo, 1 short easy, and 10 mile race on Sunday! This week, I'm going to jump into Hal Higdon intermediate Half Week 9.|

Nice one Rom. You goin for DCM so i take it?

edit : reread your first post saying that you are. WHats the target for cork?

Nice one Rom. You goin for DCM so i take it?

edit : reread your first post saying that you are. WHats the target for cork?
    For the half I think under 1hr 40 should defo be doable should everything go to plan and would be happy with but I wouldn't be surprised if I do better.

Did 1hr 51 last year for the half and felt I didn't really push myself so with improving my 10 mile time by 10 mins in a year I think 10-13 min improvement if all goes to plan but who knows, not going to get too worried about it as if I do then I will get stressed and not do as well as I can. There will always be another race if things don't go to plan like.
    Am a lot of help with my training so who knows in 6 weeks time but then I will be finished college at night so I will start to really rack up the miles. The goal is Dublin really, Cork is just a race to work towards.

nice running ROM, you and Bob are in the thores of Marathon training...good luck with the rest of the training!

Ecoli, any plan for this week.

3 weeks to go to target race for me and i was going to do something like this for this week

Mon - rest
    Tue - 6m
    Wed - 4m & 1hr Core class
    Thur - 1m Warm-up, 8x 400m @ 10k pace, 1 m Cool down
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 3m
    Sun - 10m easy

It it enough/too much?

Going off the feedback we have got so far we will continue with 10k training for now. This should benefit the majority of runners training for anything between 5k-HM at the moment as you will benefit getting consitent mileage and varying paced sessions and will prepare any Marathon runners for prep for DCM training

Here is this weeks plan

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3 mile easy|1 mile easy, 20 min @ HM, 1 mile easy|5m|rest|1 mile easy, 10 x 1 min hills, 1 mile easy|90 min run

rom wrote: »
    For the half I think under 1hr 40 should defo be doable should everything go to plan and would be happy with but I wouldn't be surprised if I do better.

Did 1hr 51 last year for the half and felt I didn't really push myself so with improving my 10 mile time by 10 mins in a year I think 10-13 min improvement if all goes to plan but who knows, not going to get too worried about it as if I do then I will get stressed and not do as well as I can. There will always be another race if things don't go to plan like.
    Am a lot of help with my training so who knows in 6 weeks time but then I will be finished college at night so I will start to really rack up the miles. The goal is Dublin really, Cork is just a race to work towards.

Ah ya i reckon you should do 1 40 without too much trouble all going well.

what millage will you get up to do you think for Dublin? It seems you have a good structure to your training anyway which will help big time. I am not going to go much higher than low 60's for Cork and probably Dublin too id say. I seem to be ok at this and i dont want to risk anymore at the moment.

Going off the feedback we have got so far we will continue with 10k training for now. This should benefit the majority of runners training for anything between 5k-HM at the moment as you will benefit getting consitent mileage and varying paced sessions and will prepare any Marathon runners for prep for DCM training

Here is this weeks plan

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3 mile easy|1 mile easy, 20 min @ HM, 1 mile easy|5m|rest|1 mile easy, 10 x 1 min hills, 1 mile easy|90 min run

Looks good Ecoli, i'll stick with your plans so! Except for today, :D i have my 6m done!!
    Thanks

Ah ya i reckon you should do 1 40 without too much trouble all going well.

what millage will you get up to do you think for Dublin? It seems you have a good structure to your training anyway which will help big time. I am not going to go much higher than low 60's for Cork and probably Dublin too id say. I seem to be ok at this and i dont want to risk anymore at the moment.

No idea tbh, with more time I don't know what I will be able for but I have hit 60 without much of a LSR earlier this year so I'd say probably 70 ish or so. A lot of them are very very very slow miles though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This should benefit the majority of runners training for anything between 5k-HM at the moment as you will benefit getting consitent mileage and varying paced sessions and will prepare any Marathon runners for prep for DCM training

Last year we had three marathon threads through the summer
    Dublin novices
    autumn no-longer-novices
    autumn experienced

Maybe if you all ask nicely, ecoli can be prevailed upon to post up a training plan for people running Dublin again? ;)
    (that's unless everyone is going off to worship at the altar of P&D :) )

Advertisement