Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

MLJ a good bull but word has it he not producing straws this year so hard to get......lisduff dandy has great calves on the ground big frame and weight his reliability figures are low yet but he has easy calving pedigree and milk.......he has same sire as GJB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Take a look at GJB then. He's a quality bull!

Dovea's bull MLJ looks savage!

I found GJB to be hard calved for an angus.
    mikeoh wrote: »
    MLJ a good bull but word has it he not producing straws this year so hard to get......lisduff dandy has great calves on the ground big frame and weight his reliability figures are low yet but he has easy calving pedigree and milk.......he has same sire as GJB

Ya my AI man has no MLJ this year or I'd use him again on heifers. I might try lisduff dandy on a few this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I've been using all stock bulls the last few years, it's amazing how easy it is to lose touch with ai stuff, anyone got prices? I don't do my own ai so will have callout fees as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

I am a pedigree breeder..
    and currently have a MLJ heifer on the ground--nice calf/femine,etc.. am told he is all out...luckily purchased some straws last summer off him
    also a KYA bull calf-not the biggest, but nice, thick-traditional type

Dovea have some good bulls..
    I'd say away from LRH and KDU... i have used b4, well pedigree use-and they were midgets-did nought for me!

PG some nice bulls there... BJP-if can get them, breeds nice traditional offspring...femine!
    other good bulls they have be FIW (maybe hes all out)
    Jetts bred nice stuff.... some of the new bulls, breed well am sure...

Thanks wiggy, have you seen any zfl (dovea) calves or heard anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Take a look at GJB then. He's a quality bull!
    I hope you're right, I got a few straws through gene ireland and the first one went into a near PB LM cow this evening.
    towzer2010 wrote: »
    I found GJB to be hard calved for an angus.
    What are the calves like quality wise? Females make worthy replacements?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Haltcliffe Dancer is one of the best lim bulls available at da min,i will use him,stq blue and kib,mzt,lgl in charolais.

How hard calved is the best BB bull Adajio,have many people on here used him?

Have to agree Dancer is a class bull have 4 calves all bulls but i'd put ADX just ahead of him on quality. have 5 Dans on the ground now 4 heifers 1 bull and delighted with them all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Have to agree Dancer is a class bull have 4 calves all bulls but i'd put ADX just ahead of him on quality. have 5 Dans on the ground now 4 heifers 1 bull and delighted with them all!!

Had you any trouble calving the dancer calves? A friend gave him to a pb rocky cow and it produced the biggest calf I have ever seen and the cow was on hay all winter. Would be very sketchy about using him after seeing that calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

ZFL... not used him or bought any of him, heard little of him--re pedigree breeders using him!!
    heard thought producing great offspring..commerical stock--why they bought him i think!!

Just bumping this one up to see if anyone knows if MLJ is available again? I'll probably end up using ZFL though.

What have other ppl ended up buying?

• Advertisement

What are the calves like quality wise? Females make worthy replacements?

Sorry Just, only saw this post now.

I had two bulls and one heifer out of GJB so far and I'll keep her to see how she fairs out. So far she is a nice one.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just bumping this one up to see if anyone knows if MLJ is available again? I'll probably end up using ZFL though.

What have other ppl ended up buying?
    MLJ still not producing........ZFL and GJB figures for calving starting to come down so I say they have to be fairly easy in general I wouldn't think there be too many problems with pb or suckler heifers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Has anyone used the Limo bull, Sauvignon (SVG ) ? His calving difficulty looks ok at 6% ?

Im far from an expert on breeding but looking through the Dovea cataloge I'm thinking most bulls for sale now are nearly as good as what Im seeing in the book . Would I be wrong on this or should a lad be able to pick up a good breeding bull now for more or less factory price that would have figures pretty close to what dovea has now .

Lastly does anyone know where the charlie bull Leagaun Figaro came from ?

Anyone know why ADX isn't approved for the BTAP?

I intended to use him but seen this when I was looking at his figures the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know why ADX isn't approved for the BTAP?

I intended to use him but seen this when I was looking at his figures the other day.

Not Eligable for 2013.
    May have been for 2012, but I doubt it.

MLJ still not producing........ZFL and GJB figures for calving starting to come down so I say they have to be fairly easy in general I wouldn't think there be too many problems with pb or suckler heifers

Other way round now MLJ available again, but ZFL is scarce. Lots of pedigree breeders want ZFL, I wonder is he scarce because dovea are exporting semen?

Rocky stopped producing a few years ago but started up again after a year or so......is he still available ...a real great bull !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

tanko wrote: »
    As far as i know there are no straws available of AHZ. He only produced usable semen for a short time. Dont know anyone with his calves.
    I'd recommend this bull have a lovely bull calf out of a BYU black heifer.. Neighbors all happy with calf quality also , Ai man ran out of HCA straws so we all got AHZ but good calves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Im thinking of using a whitehead on the few cows we have left . There is a mixture of bbx , lim x and aax
    I want one that is good and thick and beefy if possible . Not too worried about calving difficulty but dont want a brute either as he might be used on the odd heifer .
    Any experience of them ?
    Ill probably buy a few straws together and dont mind what company is selling them .
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Bodacious wrote: »
    I'd recommend this bull have a lovely bull calf out of a BYU black heifer.. Neighbors all happy with calf quality also , Ai man ran out of HCA straws so we all got AHZ but good calves

Good stuff, AHZ was firing blanks for a while but came good again last year. Anyone who has used him seems to be very happy with the calves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

I have 6 limousine/british friesan heifers to AI in April...whats the best option for them...Progressive Genetics and Dovea AI service is available to me?

I have 6 limousine/british friesan heifers to AI in April...whats the best option for them...Progressive Genetics and Dovea AI service is available to me?

PG Lims HCA is the safest option calving wise, AHZ seems to be highly regarded if you can get straws of him. If you have strong heifers with good calving ability OZS might be an option, stylish calves but a bit harder calved.

PG AA GJB seems to be popular.

Dovea Lims EBY looks a good bull, AA MLJ is a fine bull. ZFL looks good but would be harder calved. TLZ is an interesting looking bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

PG Lims HCA is the safest option calving wise, AHZ seems to be highly regarded if you can get straws of him. If you have strong heifers with good calving ability OZS might be an option, stylish calves but a bit harder calved.

PG AA GJB seems to be popular.

Dovea Lims EBY looks a good bull, AA MLJ is a fine bull. ZFL looks good but would be harder calved. TLZ is an interesting looking bull.

Dovea MBP lim. Very consistent calves. Not great calving stats I think, but I use him every year, and don't recall ever having to use the jack.
    I have two EBY calves late last year off of springers. Small calves. Came unassisted. At three months old now, only middling I'm afraid. Might catch up when they go to grass. Mothers not exactly dropping milk.

I'm giving Dovea CWI to springers this year. Have used him on heifers and cows without ever having to jack.
    Great weanlings. If you get a heifer all the better as he's 5 star maternal. Crossed with your lim/br fries heifers, you will be on the pigs back.

Round Bale wrote: »
    I'm giving Dovea CWI to springers this year. Have used him on heifers and cows without ever having to jack.
    Great weanlings. If you get a heifer all the better as he's 5 star maternal. Crossed with your lim/br fries heifers, you will be on the pigs back.

Are CWI calves ok for docility?

Are CWI calves ok for docility?

Flighty as calves. Totally settle down in their first winter in shed. Spending a bit of time at the feed barrier, letting cattle sniff at you and lick your gloves, will quieten anything in my opinion.
    We can't expect cattle to be quiet, if we only ever handle them to give them grief, like injecting, dosing, testing, dehorning etc!

Flighty as calves. Totally settle down in their first winter in shed. Spending a bit of time at the feed barrier, letting cattle sniff at you and lick your gloves, will quieten anything in my opinion.
    We can't expect cattle to be quiet, if we only ever handle them to give them grief, like injecting, dosing, testing, dehorning etc!
    That's true of all cattle but wild Lims can be just wild and nothing would settle them.

I was talking to a lim breeder recently and he said his policy is that anything than heads in the opposite direction when he goes into the field wouldn't be bred. I think that's sound advice with commercial cattle as well.

Fair enough, there's huge variations in the docility of limousin cattle depending which bull there off. I have a cow off OEI and a few off NSQ and they will never be quiet cattle no matter what. EPN and TKO on the other hand improved docility for me.

Do you think that CWI will improve milk in cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

It's amazing the way breeding works on different farms we had OEi and NSQ cows and they were like lambs and you could walk up to them in the field,have a tanko pure cow and she is also very quiet, we have a NEUF pure cow and she is seriously cracked if any body besides me goes near her would go for you,she was bought as a maiden heifer and the stock man use to herd the cattle with a quad and drove them wild,
    Bova ai has a serious lim bull Dubai a objat son out of a full sister of ronick hawk who is by cannon, the best pure cow we have is a hawk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

It's amazing the way breeding works on different farms we had OEi and NSQ cows and they were like lambs and you could walk up to them in the field,have a tanko pure cow and she is also very quiet, we have a NEUF pure cow and she is seriously cracked if any body besides me goes near her would go for you,she was bought as a maiden heifer and the stock man use to herd the cattle with a quad and drove them wild,
    Bova ai has a serious lim bull Dubai a objat son out of a full sister of ronick hawk who is by cannon, the best pure cow we have is a hawk.

Have to 'second' your sentiments on Dubai, (THZ) used him on heifers (Lim X's) this year and very happy with results. Small at birth, stylish little calves that are growing on well. Also have a few of their new bull Gamin (ZGM), calves are born small but very square, thick-set and muscled. Must badly get a few pics.....

Advertisement