Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aubrac

blue5000 wrote: »

I wouldn't mind him 'being a bit of a lump' his reliability figures are low though. Has anybody got calves from him yet? I need a good angus bull to use on a few aubrac x aa heifers.
    Why would you not use a AU bull on ur Heifers?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Aubrac wrote: »
    Why would you not use a AU bull on ur Heifers?

I use an aubrac on all my angus heifers already, going to use angus on the heifers that are by the aubrac bull.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I use an aubrac on all my angus heifers already, going to use angus on the heifers that are by the aubrac bull.
    If u put another AU on them you'd get a higher graded offspring with better weights. What's ur production system?

Aubrac wrote: »
    If u put another AU on them you'd get a higher graded offspring with better weights. What's ur production system?

A bit complicated at the moment:)

I keep aa and aubrac heifers for breeding, selling bulls this summer as beef at about 16 months, first year doing this as up to now I was selling them as weanlings. I also use a blonde as a terminal sire and sell the heifers at about 300kg live.

Sounds like a lot of bulls but farm is fragmented and I run a bull in three different places.

I think the aubrac and angus work well as they are easily fleshed, deep bodied wide cattle and are hardy.

I'd still b inclined to go with AU on those heifers as you'll find AU weighs better than other breeds for same size. Def easily fleshed. Blonde a nice cross on AUx. the more AU u have in ur females the better they'll calve muscled bulls. Can't knock Angus, they're great, but AU will give u better grade and weights esp as young bulls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

moy83 wrote: »
    We will be sticking with MBP alright but a blue cow had a UBN calf in november and he is very muscely and wide , nothing like what we would usually have but just wondering is it from the cow or did anyone else have calves out of him that were good .

UBN bull calf out of a PB Simmental cow we had a couple of years ago. 4 months in second pic and 14 months in first. I thought him a lovely, solid animal. As per other UBN cattle here I would say very good feed efficiency. Graded a U+ and very easily finished.
    To be honest though it was more for maternal traits we were using UBN and I reckon you would have great cows after him from e.g. LM x FR cows.

Have some nice heifers from this lad in the pics - looking forward to seeing how they breed next year;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Neddyusa wrote: »
    UBN bull calf out of a PB Simmental cow we had a couple of years ago. 4 months in second pic and 14 months in first. I thought him a lovely, solid animal. As per other UBN cattle here I would say very good feed efficiency. Graded a U+ and very easily finished.
    To be honest though it was more for maternal traits we were using UBN and I reckon you would have great cows after him from e.g. LM x FR cows.

Have some nice heifers from this lad in the pics - looking forward to seeing how they breed next year;)

Fine looking animal alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

FL25 is as close a bull to ROX as you'll get. Fantastic muscle.

Hi Bogman,

Did he go in the IBR or not a great producer or was he in great demand as he went off all catalogues fairly quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rayzorsharpest

pakalasa wrote: »
    Ya, I use Munster Ai, myself. It would be great to see a video of the bulls they have. You can see alot in those videos. That BBQ is a great walker too, for such a heavily muscled bull.

Ave a look at this bull 4m Munster A.I. ive seen some great calves off him.
    http://www.netbbg.com/netbbg/commun/corps/liste.php?type=V&b_deb=A&b_fin=D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rayzorsharpest

i have used APZ on hfrs nd had no problems bar one muscly one. she wld ave been hard calved with watever bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bodacious wrote: »
    FL25 is as close a bull to ROX as you'll get. Fantastic muscle.

Hi Bogman,

Did he go in the IBR or not a great producer or was he in great demand as he went off all catalogues fairly quickly?

went in the cull but there's still straws of him. Just not enough to go marketing him aggressively

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Any one use the Lim bull - Mbp from Dovea. They seem to be giving him a great write up in this years beef book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Any one use the Lim bull - Mbp from Dovea. They seem to be giving him a great write up in this years beef book
    We got some lovely calves out of him , one smasher from a bb x cow . We will be using him again

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Just curious as to what bulls you guys doing A.I are using on your sucklers this spring?

To start the ball rolling sourced Lims - GWO & FTY through GENE Ireland. Using TVR & ADX from NCBC. Getting some CSQ Charolais from Dovea & EKB BB from Bova for the late calvers.
    Still have Lim - BYQ in the pot for heifers.

What others have ye in mind for the year????

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

EKB belgian blue.(also) Dubai(THZ) limousin and Carlo(LRY)Parthenaise from Bova. Ardlea Dan(ADX) Ultime (UTL) limousin from Ncbc. Also Haltcliffe Dancer (HCF) from powerful genetics. Of these bulls ones i will use again based on calves on the ground i'l use EKB, ADX, LRY and THZ for heifers

HCA for heifers.
    ADX APZ and VUL and a couple of straws of EDJ on cows

Will only be using AI on a few angus x aubrac heifers, planning to use kya from progressive on them. Anyone got calves yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Haltcliffe Dancer is one of the best lim bulls available at da min,i will use him,stq blue and kib,mzt,lgl in charolais.

How hard calved is the best BB bull Adajio,have many people on here used him?

Will only be using AI on a few angus x aubrac heifers, planning to use kya from progressive on them. Anyone got calves yet?

Dont know If i would use him on beef heifers. More of a bull for dairy heifers.

Very easy calved but no quality about them, think LRH - that kind of bull

Thanks bogman, hard to find a decent 5 star angus, there is a lot of sh1te out there, bred just for a dairy farmer, easy calving but not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Haltcliffe Dancer is one of the best lim bulls available at da min,i will use him,stq blue and kib,mzt,lgl in charolais.

How hard calved is the best BB bull Adajio,have many people on here used him?
    You like lgl,have two calves from him,those cows would have got cf52 in the past, BIG difference in the quality of the calves. Banker in bova is suppose to be throwing good calves

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

You like lgl,have two calves from him,those cows would have got cf52 in the past, BIG difference in the quality of the calves. Banker in bova is suppose to be throwing good calves

Im just goin on a few iv seen, and what others tell me,nice compact calves.Seen him in the flesh as a calf,nothing special but very well bred,banker is hard calved i think,ah the great CF52!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

Thanks bogman, hard to find a decent 5 star angus, there is a lot of sh1te out there, bred just for a dairy farmer, easy calving but not much else.

Dovea have some nice Angus

KDU. at 3% calving difficulty might be worth a punt.
    The new bull FDI. Has size but not that much class. Would leave you with a decent amount of beef on the hook though

ESH is a better bull than his figures would suggest

Does it have to be an angus? HCA is slipping out calves no bother, good calves and milk in the pedigree

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Bogman,

Has there been much feedback on the test CH LZF? Still have a few straws left from the autumn.

Cheers..

I've heard nothing back about him. He would only have calves coming on the ground around now

KDU. at 3% calving difficulty might be worth a punt.
    The new bull FDI. Has size but not that much class. Would leave you with a decent amount of beef on the hook though

ESH is a better bull than his figures would suggest

Does it have to be an angus? HCA is slipping out calves no bother, good calves and milk in the pedigree

Preferably, for replacements. I've decided to go over and back every generation between aubrac and angus. I am prepared to risk a bit on calving figures to get the right angus. The aubracs are fairly small, easily calved and don't go over 280 days so this should contribute to to the calves from the mother's side. What is the best angus in dovea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

A lot of new unproven bulls especially with NCBC. I wouldn't use any on heifers until more is known. For replacements though, I like the look of Lennon Frosty, FTY. He's in the Gene ireland programme. Cerebus X Lino X Eleazer, all good maternal bulls.
    I've only one LGL calf but i'll wait till he's a weanling to see how he goes. He was born small enough, but plenty of length.
    Also one heifer by ADX. She looks like a keeper. Might breed from her. Mother is a great simmental cow.

Anyone try the Char Angelus, AGZ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Preferably, for replacements. I've decided to go over and back every generation between aubrac and angus. I am prepared to risk a bit on calving figures to get the right angus. The aubracs are fairly small, easily calved and don't go over 280 days so this should contribute to to the calves from the mother's side. What is the best angus in dovea?

In my opinion it has to be MLJ. I had some good calves off him the last two years.

• Advertisement

Take a look at GJB then. He's a quality bull!

Dovea's bull MLJ looks savage!

Advertisement