Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

I used a lot of SFL a few years back maybe 40 or 50 straws. A bit hit and miss re quality. Very easy calves but thing that pissed me off the most with this bull is we had 2 dwarf calves born by him they came into very small money at a bit age ,total screws!! Found out afterwards that SFL carries the dwarfism gene. Imo he should never have stood in AI with this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

VMP is a favourite of mine @ 8.3%, brings nice bone too. Have stuck him on my BA cow heifer :)

All our WTB calves were slaughtered under 16 months, he's a bit more difficult calving though.
    I used a lot of SFL a few years back maybe 40 or 50 straws. A bit hit and miss re quality. Very easy calves but thing that pissed me off the most with this bull is we had 2 dwarf calves born by him they came into very small money at a bit age ,total screws!! Found out afterwards that SFL carries the dwarfism gene. Imo he should never have stood in AI with this!!

Lol. I think that was my very first post on boards! Complaining about SFL and dwarf calves. Have one that's a bit iffy this year too, was born in August and never thrived right.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Kovu wrote: »
    VMP is a favourite of mine @ 8.3%, brings nice bone too. Have stuck him on my BA cow heifer :)

I remember you talking about this bull. What is he crossing well on? Did you try Germinal? God he left some serious calves here. Crossed really well on plain R grade Lim cows. Pity he is gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I remember you talking about this bull. What is he crossing well on? Did you try Germinal? God he left some serious calves here. Crossed really well on plain R grade Lim cows. Pity he is gone now.

Have crossed him with lowish built pb limos and got lovely calves. A lad I poll calves for used him on blacks and got nice calves but lacking a bit of style as they came fully black. Never used Germinal, every time I asked the AI man hadn't got him so I gave up and didn't ask again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Long time viewer, first time poster!

I've a purebred Saler cow who's given me purebred bulls the last 3 years in a row. She's due to calve end of spring and if it's another bull I'm going to try and see what I'll get if I cross her with a charolais - the golden hair is what's helping me make that decision!

Just wanted to get some comments as to a good charolais ai bull to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Long time viewer, first time poster!

I've a purebred Saler cow who's given me purebred bulls the last 3 years in a row. She's due to calve end of spring and if it's another bull I'm going to try and see what I'll get if I cross her with a charolais - the golden hair is what's helping me make that decision!

Just wanted to get some comments as to a good charolais ai bull to use?

What ai company do u use.?

I have used lanzac in the past from dovea genetics,he gone now but Ecolo looks a good bull too. They are both culard charolais

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    What ai company do u use.?

I have used lanzac in the past from dovea genetics,he gone now but Ecolo looks a good bull too. They are both culard charolais

Have access to all the major ai providers, used a Culard Charolais from Bova before called Dakar, gave me a fine bull calf but would have liked more muscle all the same. I'm leaning towards using LGL seeing as he is proven. Has anyone got any experience from using him?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Have access to all the major ai providers, used a Culard Charolais from Bova before called Dakar, gave me a fine bull calf but would have liked more muscle all the same. I'm leaning towards using LGL seeing as he is proven. Has anyone got any experience from using him?
    I've used LGL on about 6 cows last year. I think I had to pull 4 of them. All lived but I'd be reluctant to use him again on any cow on the narrow side. Apart from calving hard to fault him.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I've used LGL on about 6 cows last year. I think I had to pull 4 of them. All lived but I'd be reluctant to use him again on any cow on the narrow side. Apart from calving hard to fault him.

Thanks for the input! Hoping the fact she's a mature Saler cow will help calving wise. Is GHX still available? I know he's no longer around around but are straws still floating around?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

What about CSQ. great cattle I would gladly use on a saler

• Advertisement

essgee268 wrote: »
    What about CSQ. great cattle I would gladly use on a saler

His calving is worse than LGL, think I'll go LGL for now and see how we get on. If all ends up ok I'll know that I can push the calving difficulty a bit more! Thanks all for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

His calving is worse than LGL, think I'll go LGL for now and see how we get on. If all ends up ok I'll know that I can push the calving difficulty a bit more! Thanks all for the input

Have used LGL a bit the last few years, leaves great solid cattle, low centered, all todate have finished out as U's.
    Definitely needs a little watching at calving though.

Mozart (MZT) in my opinion is a very underated bull.

Breeds super compact cattle
    Bad pic in catalogue.

Bad pic in catalogue.

Straws must be getting scarce for him? He's less and less cattle to his name as each ICBF update goes out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Bad pic in catalogue.

Found him very inconsistent, seems to work best on taller cows

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rabbit1989

Hello folks,

I have 10 SBU Sliabhbhui Price 2nd straws, a deceased SH bull whose semen is no longer available, a highly respected bull.

I have been informed not to waste them on the commercial herd.

Does anyone have any experience or input on what would be a good course of action for them?

Regards,

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

its actually illegal to sell straws farm to farm. you could chance it but you could be getting yourself in trouble if you get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rabbit1989

No No I don't want to sell them, i want to use them for myself, just want advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Rabbit1989 wrote: »
    Hello folks,

I have 10 SBU Sliabhbhui Price 2nd straws, a deceased SH bull whose semen is no longer available, a highly respected bull.

I have been informed not to waste them on the commercial herd.

Does anyone have any experience or input on what would be a good course of action for them?

Regards,

Michael
    He's not available commercially but I'd say he is still for pedigree breeders.

I used him up to last year on lim or Ch heifers. Never a problem calving and the heifer calves are good from that type of cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

its actually illegal to sell straws farm to farm. you could chance it but you could be getting yourself in trouble if you get caught

If it's illegal, how come there's adds on DD with people selling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Anyone buying the cheap straws from ICBF ? Any of them standing out as a good bull to chance ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Anyone buying the cheap straws from ICBF ? Any of them standing out as a good bull to chance ?

Do you mean the new Gene Ireland bulls for Spring? If so, I like the look of those 2 CH imports but they have feck all reliability even though the ai companies say they're doing the business in France

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Do you mean the new Gene Ireland bulls for Spring? If so, I like the look of those 2 CH imports but they have feck all reliability even though the ai companies say they're doing the business in France

Could be gene ireland, I must look at the letter again . I wonder how did last year's bulls do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

Neither of those bulls are index bulls in France, so anyone who says 'they're doing the business in France' is lying.
    However Jarret is out of Artois who has over 23,000 calves born off him in France, and has above average growth and is easy calving. Not the flashiest of bulls though.

Feck all known about Indiscret other than he goes back to Pinay. I'd be cautious about using him to be honest.

Canaryblue wrote: »
    Neither of those bulls are index bulls in France, so anyone who says 'they're doing the business in France' is lying.
    However Jarret is out of Artois who has over 23,000 calves born off him in France, and has above average growth and is easy calving. Not the flashiest of bulls though.

Feck all known about Indiscret other than he goes back to Pinay. I'd be cautious about using him to be honest.

In that case so there isn't anything catching my eye with the new catalogue. The photo's are never anything spectacular either so I usually give them a search in the ICBF database to see what their linear scoring was like in order to give myself some idea as to how they rate within the breed

In that case so there isn't anything catching my eye with the new catalogue. The photo's are never anything spectacular either so I usually give them a search in the ICBF database to see what their linear scoring was like in order to give myself some idea as to how they rate within the breed

Polar Joe 2 isn't a bad bull, the picture isn't great but he scored reasonably well at a young age

Polar Joe 2 isn't a bad bull, the picture isn't great but he scored reasonably well at a young age

He was the bull I had in my head when I wrote the post! His stature reminded me of a belgian blue so I thought it'd be worthwhile to check his scoring. Surprised that he was hitting 10/15 for all but 1 muscle index and only had a end score of 104.

Only ever seen one bull score 15/15 for a muscle index and that was Clenagh Hank(KCH). He has great breeding in him

He was the bull I had in my head when I wrote the post! His stature reminded me of a belgian blue so I thought it'd be worthwhile to check his scoring. Surprised that he was hitting 10/15 for all but 1 muscle index and only had a end score of 104.

Only ever seen one bull score 15/15 for a muscle index and that was Clenagh Hank(KCH). He has great breeding in him

Best all round scoring I've seen in Goldstar Hugo 2, he went on to become the junior champion at the Royal Highland show.68800-159821.jpg

Best all round scoring I've seen in Goldstar Hugo 2, he went on to become the junior champion at the Royal Highland show.

Absolutely cracking scoring there, never seen a bull score that well before across all 3 categories!

• Advertisement

How did clenagh hank breed after, anyone use him ?

Advertisement