Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Farrell wrote: »
    If it's illegal, how come there's adds on DD with people selling?
    lads chancing their arm and getting away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

lads chancing their arm and getting away with it

Haven't seen any on Done Deal in a while, remember seeing TEXAN GIE straws going for 500 a piece on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Haven't seen any on Done Deal in a while, remember seeing TEXAN GIE straws going for 500 a piece on there.

I remember seeing Vantastic straws for €800 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    How did clenagh hank breed after, anyone use him ?

Took 20 straws from him in the Spring 2014 bull panel. Had 4 calves from him last spring and very happy. Good length, style and muscle, everything you look for in a charolais. Also very happy with their size which I felt was lacking in the A.I. Charolais's lately. Have 5 more due this spring/ with another 6 straws left in the pot.
    Think i'm right in saying that he was sold privately afterwards, would love to know where and what price he went for!!! Would definitely love to use him again if any A.I company would be interested in collecting from him wherever he is.
    Just my tuppence worth but rate his progeny higher than their herd-mates who are off the likes of GKA, LSP, FGG & GPD!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    I remember seeing Vantastic straws for €800 i think.
    You'd be fair chuffed to see a cow repeat after giving her one of those.:rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

You'd be fair chuffed to see a cow repeat after giving her one of those.:rolleyes:

vantastic straws would only be used for flushing.

You'd wonder would there still be that much demand out there for him? Lots of current ai bulls have him in their breeding not the mention the amount of females that have him in there too.

You'd wonder would there still be that much demand out there for him? Lots of current ai bulls have him in their breeding not the mention the amount of females that have him in there too.

It's a few years since i saw that ad, I didn't purchase any.
    €32 is the most I've paid for five On-Dit straws a couple of years ago, got 4 bulls and one heifer of course. Apparently they're all gone now also.

€32 is the most I've paid for five On-Dit straws a couple of years ago, got 4 bulls and one heifer of course. Apparently they're all gone now also.

Prices start hitting the 30-60+ category once it's aimed at pedigree breeding....it's paying the royalty fee that just add insult to injury I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

progressive had on-Dit straws available recently at 16 euro on special offer, we got 15 delivered a month ago, try munster for them as they usually have stuff thats scarce due not as big pedigree demand down south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    Took 20 straws from him in the Spring 2014 bull panel. Had 4 calves from him last spring and very happy. Good length, style and muscle, everything you look for in a charolais. Also very happy with their size which I felt was lacking in the A.I. Charolais's lately. Have 5 more due this spring/ with another 6 straws left in the pot.
    Think i'm right in saying that he was sold privately afterwards, would love to know where and what price he went for!!! Would definitely love to use him again if any A.I company would be interested in collecting from him wherever he is.
    Just my tuppence worth but rate his progeny higher than their herd-mates who are off the likes of GKA, LSP, FGG & GPD!!!

As far as I know the AI companies get first refusal on all Gene Ireland bulls, if they aren't interested the bulls get sold on a tender basis to farmers for 2,500 euro.

I'd imagine the reason no AI company bought him was because his maternal sire is Organdi. Organdi has a functionality score of 75, which is in the bottom 1% of Charolais. Mind you his sire Goldstar Echo has a score of 163 so it does balance out. He was the bull that convinced us to get straws of Goldstar Echo, rather than use him.

I've a heifer and some cows with their time up to RIO, ZAG and FSZ in the next few days and haven't used any of them before.
    Can anyone give me an idea what gestation lengths i can expect with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

I've a heifer and some cows with their time up to RIO, ZAG and FSZ in the next few days and haven't used any of them before.

Had a sim cow go 299 days with a FSZ bull calf. He was a brute, the cow is big and with a far pull we got him calved. Slow to get going then too, dopey as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Have had heifers calve down to Rio from as early as day 270 up to day 284....always early.
    Had a cow calve down a fiston heifer at 277 days a month ago.Last year had 7 fistons calves.none of them went over day 287.All small calves at birth.not sure about Fiston.Have had two smashers of him but the majority were only average.Have found that fleetwood throws far better weanlings.
    Dont know about Zag.Only used him this year for first time.

Have had heifers calve down to Rio from as early as day 270 up to day 284....always early.
    Had a cow calve down a fiston heifer at 277 days a month ago.Last year had 7 fistons calves.none of them went over day 287.All small calves at birth.not sure about Fiston.Have had two smashers of him but the majority were only average.Have found that fleetwood throws far better weanlings.
    Dont know about Zag.Only used him this year for first time.

Thanks, opinions seem to be divided about Fiston.
    What do you think of RIO, any bother calving off heifers, are the calves wild?

No, we've had about 20 calved off Rio in the last few years.Only used him on heifers.All are quiet,some like pets.No difference to any other breed really but they would be very used to me letting them in and out to cows morn and eve.the heifer calves born easy but some of the bulls a little harder calved but generally no hassle.

Any word on CH2066 the new charolais?Used him twice last year but our Ai man says hes gone already?

No, we've had about 20 calved off Rio in the last few years.Only used him on heifers.All are quiet,some like pets.No difference to any other breed really but they would be very used to me letting them in and out to cows morn and eve.the heifer calves born easy but some of the bulls a little harder calved but generally no hassle.

Will you keep any heifers on as replacements?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Any word on CH2066 the new charolais?Used him twice last year but our Ai man says hes gone already?

Typical 52 son!
    There will probably be a few straws floating about over the spring but not many

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Ya i think his straws wont freeze for them correctly now. The first few did.

Hard know about fiston i had a crackin heifer calf off him last year off a good red lim cow. Few more due now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Zag is bringing an average of 289 days for me. Mix of Lm and Ch cows.

croot wrote: »
    Zag is bringing an average of 289 days for me. Mix of Lm and Ch cows.

Yeah, forgot that info is on ICBF. It says RIO 286, FSZ 290, ZAG 290.

Any bother with calving ZAG?

The first few calves have started to arrive from my own home bred bull now. Christ they're tiny. The older ones have started to fill out now and not looking too bad. The bull has 4 generations of AI behind him so he should be average at least. Time will tell.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Had a bull calf off RIO born a few weeks ago....her time was up on a Saturday and she carried till the following Wednesday, no problems calving at all. My usual theory is that if they carry more than a week or 10 days then it's usually a bull....didn't work out like that this time!

We kept four of them.Two are very good cows now always have good weanlings.the other two,one put out the calf bed so had to get rid and the other didnt prove in calf so she got gate too.Have two more Rio heifers for bulling in the next month,I'll put zag on them.

We kept four of them.Two are very good cows now always have good weanlings.the other two,one put out the calf bed so had to get rid and the other didnt prove in calf so she got gate too.Have two more Rio heifers for bulling in the next month,I'll put zag on them.

ICBF crowd are big into RIO....say they make great mothers, he's got the stars to back it up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Yeah, forgot that info is on ICBF. It says RIO 286, FSZ 290, ZAG 290.

Any bother with calving ZAG?

No. All calved on their own but would be from mature cows.

ger b wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of using okh lim bull(keltic handsome )?

Well, anyone have calves by KELTIC HANDSOME (OKH) on the ground yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Have 1 okh bill calf here. Wouldn't rate him but then again I wouldn't rate his mother she's being culled this year. One thing I would say is he's a bit flighty and none of her other calves would have been.

• Advertisement

Came across these guys on the 2016 Limousin Journal;

www.epgstraws.com

They have a few bulls. Quality seems good.
    Jeez, Cloughhead Lord (Limousin) straws are €350 each.

Advertisement