Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

ALANC81 wrote: »
    Enrico is a good bull we got €4,000 for a bull by him 2 weeks ago. ZAG should be very good the breeding is there anyway. Gigalo is another good bull. Look at Ampertaine Commander, Honduras, TVR, On dit, Cerberus, FTY and Forman just to name a few.

All those bulls will give you quality cattle and all bar TVR are suitable for heifers.

What age was the bull you sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

What age was the bull you sold?

18 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

18 months

Nice, but you'd want it all the same.

Nice, but you'd want it all the same.

You would but he wasn't pushed he was on grass and only getting 10Lbs of barley and bean mix per day for 3 months before sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

You would but he wasn't pushed he was on grass and only getting 10Lbs of barley and bean mix per day for 3 months before sale.
    What sort of ratio do you use? Would you give anything else?
    Sorry for all the questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

ruben37 wrote: »
    Can I PM you her pedigree?
    No point, I've realised recently that I know damn all, Bulls I like have poor ratings. There is a few guys here who seam good. I like this thread & the ones on Charolais bull to give insight.
    Is she an upgraded ped if she has BF background?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Any of you pedigree LM boys think of using FL21 again?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for Pedigree limousine cows, not happy with my calves from last yr. Have been looking at Wilodge Enrico, VDT, ZAG and Ampertaine Gigolo any one have any experience with these? Looking for a well muscled Bull

Why would you use Wilodge Enrico, VDT, ZAG and Ampertaine Gigolo (easy calving heifer bulls - more or less)?

If you want more muscle would GWO Day or Cameos not suit you better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Any of you pedigree LM boys think of using FL21 again?

As commercial cows, do his daughters have any milk?

Enrico is a good bull we got €4,000 for a bull by him 2 weeks ago. ZAG should be very good the breeding is there anyway. Gigalo is another good bull. Look at Ampertaine Commander, Honduras, TVR, On dit, Cerberus, FTY and Forman just to name a few.

All those bulls will give you quality cattle and all bar TVR are suitable for heifers.

That's what you want!

FTY Dead - Terminal Sire only - poor on docility - according to Progressive Genetics

Rosalish Goulding has said that On Dit ONI is not a heifers bull.

• Advertisement

That's what you want!

FTY Dead - Terminal Sire only - poor on docility - according to Progressive Genetics

Rosalish Goulding has said that On Dit ONI is not a heifers bull.

FTY as in Lennon Frosty dead- Terminal sire only? That's a load of crap anyway. Any calves we have by him were no more than 30kgs born and grow well afterwards. Calves can be a little flighty for a while but they do calm down with age. He is easy calving and a plus for milk.

ON-DIT not a heifers bull why he is 5.5% for calving difficulty with a material index of 151.
    I've seen to many heifers calves by ON-DIT to be told other wise.

Farrell wrote: »
    What sort of ratio do you use? Would you give anything else?
    Sorry for all the questions

We mix 50/50 barley and beans and get a bag of minerals as well. We know nothing about mixing meal we just know that's working for now.

Why would you use Wilodge Enrico, VDT, ZAG and Ampertaine Gigolo (easy calving heifer bulls - more or less)?

If you want more muscle would GWO Day or Cameos not suit you better?

I'll answer that for you. He'd use those easy calving heifers bulls on cows because there good breeding bulls when used on cows and heifers. Easy calving does not mean they won't grow well.

FTY as in Lennon Frosty dead- Terminal sire only? That's a load of crap anyway. Any calves we have by him were no more than 30kgs born and grow well afterwards. Calves can be a little flighty for a while but they do calm down with age. He is easy calving and a plus for milk.

ON-DIT not a heifers bull why he is 5.5% for calving difficulty with a material index of 151.
    I've seen to many heifers calves by ON-DIT to be told other wise.

FTY -.4kg for milk (low reliability). 3 Star Replacement bull. I have seen great calves by high, but for me he is a terminal sire, docility is important.

ONI's Calving Difficulty is based largely on pedigree breeders, and in general I do not trust the quality of the information they put in. He's a bull for breeding heifers not putting on heifers, we got our wires a little crossed.

I'll answer that for you. He'd use those easy calving heifers bulls on cows because there good breeding bulls when used on cows and heifers. Easy calving does not mean they won't grow well.

I know that Alan, but he said he wants more muscle & bulls for cows...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

FTY as in Lennon Frosty dead- Terminal sire only? That's a load of crap anyway. Any calves we have by him were no more than 30kgs born and grow well afterwards. Calves can be a little flighty for a while but they do calm down with age. He is easy calving and a plus for milk....

FTY is by Wilodge Cerberus. I have a Cerberus heifer in a shed at the moment and I have the door padlocked. No kidding, she's that crazy.:mad: I'm afraid someone will go in there.

ICBF have FTY in the bottom 2% for docility, so stay well clear of him. Just not worth the hassle.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

FTY -.4kg for milk (low reliability). 3 Star Replacement bull. I have seen great calves by high, but for me he is a terminal sire, docility is important.

ONI's Calving Difficulty is based largely on pedigree breeders, and in general I do not trust the quality of the information they put in. He's a bull for breeding heifers not putting on heifers, we got our wires a little crossed.

FTY is above the breed average for milk so he is a plus he's 4 stars. He's a Cerberus out of a lino cow so he should be good for milk.
    I can see his maternal index rising in the future.

ON-DIT is fine on heifers plane and simple.
    The information is good.

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for Pedigree limousine cows, not happy with my calves from last yr. Have been looking at Wilodge Enrico, VDT, ZAG and Ampertaine Gigolo any one have any experience with these? Looking for a well muscled Bull

What about Dinmore Goldcrest S1571. I haven't seen any calves yet but you have Vantastic and Ronick hawk in the breeding. Hawk should bring milk. Not the easiest for calving though.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

FTY is above the breed average for milk so he is a plus he's 4 stars. He's a Cerberus out of a lino cow so he should be good for milk.
    I can see his maternal index rising in the future.

Not if they're nutty as squirrel poo!

Edited to add- I've heard very good things about Virginia Andy from the AI man, he's dear though, think €50 a straw.

FTY is by Wilodge Cerberus. I have a Cerberus heifer in a shed at the moment and I have the door padlocked. No kidding, she's that crazy.:mad: I'm afraid someone will go in there.

ICBF have FTY in the bottom 2% for docility, so stay well clear of him. Just not worth the hassle.

That's not good to here and she's as well in the factory if she's that bad.
    Honestly our FTY calves are nothing like that.

• Advertisement

Kovu wrote: »
    Not if they're nutty as squirrel poo!

No but in general I don't think they are. We have an 18 month old bull, a 12 month old bull and 2 or 3 calves by FTY here and we haven't seen anything nutty about them. The 2 bulls can be scratched in the middle of the field no bother at all.

No but in general I don't think they are. We have an 18 month old bull, a 12 month old bull and 2 or 3 calves by FTY here and we haven't seen anything nutty about them. The 2 bulls can be scratched in the middle of the field no bother at all.

Patsy's heifer is by Cerberus not FTY in fairness, but docility is still the point.

I look at across stars generally not within, FTY is a minus on milk. And he is 3 Star Replacement on Terminal Within and Across!

Should LM breeders not be aiming for 20 Star Bulls, to sell to commercial men?

ONI might suit a PB Heifer not a commercial.

We are breeding quality stock. We're breeding pedigree cattle for the last 25 years and we know blood lines all I say is don't believe everything ICBF tells you. Just because it's on there site doesn't make it true.

Have you noticed that NCBC have taken FTY out of this years catalogue? What was the reason for that?

Have you noticed that NCBC have taken FTY out of this years catalogue? What was the reason for that?

He's dead

We are breeding quality stock. We're breeding pedigree cattle for the last 25 years and we know blood lines all I say is don't believe everything ICBF tells you. Just because it's on there site doesn't make it true.

Agree with you Alan, to a point, depending on reliability!

But just because you have an opinion doesn't mean people have to agree and vice-versa.

Agree with you Alan, to a point, depending on reliability!

But just because you have an opinion doesn't mean people have to agree and vice-versa.

Agree 100% Future Farmer.
    Where did you here that FTY is dead and how?

Was mentioned on PG Facebook page.

I think I read on the PG facebook page recently that he's dead. I think he got an injury and didn't recover. Right or wrong his poor docility figure put me off him.

For what it's worth I think OZS breeds nice heifers from commercial cattle anyway.

• Advertisement

What about Dinmore Goldcrest S1571. I haven't seen any calves yet but you have Vantastic and Ronick hawk in the breeding. Hawk should bring milk. Not the easiest for calving though.

Savage looking bull but is he not €60 a straw or something like that?

Advertisement