Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

OZS is a good bull to produce heifers and his stock are very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

ALANC81 wrote: »
    OZS is a good bull to produce heifers and his stock are very quiet.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.
    I've only one calved off him so far and she has a nice drop of milk, hopefully the rest of them will be the same.
    Do you think ONI would be a better bull to breed heifers off commercial cows than OZS?

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd agree with that.
    I've only one calved off him so far and she has a nice drop of milk, hopefully the rest of them will be the same.
    Do you think ONI would be a better bull to breed heifers off commercial cows than OZS?

Both bulls will breed good mothers with milk but ON-DIT will bring more size so he he probably would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He's dead

ICBF have him listed as 'ACTIVE' on the Aug 2015 proofs.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

ICBF have him listed as 'ACTIVE' on the Aug 2015 proofs.

https://www.facebook.com/progressivegenetics/posts/1141097955918746:0

Dead as dodo at start of Nov.

rK3OJLMl.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Thats the joy of AI. the bull can be long dead but the straws are still around

Eurogene have a bull called Lennon breezer, he has serious figures and is five star across breeds including docility for everything except daughters milk.
    He's not on the active bull list tho, anyone ever used him?

Never used him but saw some lovely stock in Roscrea by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭limo_100

Have an OZS heifer for the bull in the morning what would you's put on her. shes from a PTE cow going back to HKG cow out of a black white head cow. This family is the highest preforming family in the herd but black white is gone. I was thinking simmental as to not go to far away from the milk??

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi there, looking for a opinion on LM AI Bull ''ZAG'' tried him this wk along with OZS who I see a few of you recommend. Ideally would like to breed a few heifers off them but are the Bull calves good?
    Also tried CH bull ''FSZ'' today Any opinions?
    Finally any recommendations on AI Replacement Simentals

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

pure breed wrote: »
    Hi there, looking for a opinion on LM AI Bull ''ZAG'' tried him this wk along with OZS who I see a few of you recommend. Ideally would like to breed a few heifers off them but are the Bull calves good?

Fiston is a good bull and not hard calved . Saw good calves all round from him I got E1130 for a calf out of him at 6.5 months!

Mine will get Fiston, Gurka and that new CF52 son Impeccable ..

OZS is class and my best heifer is by him, as another poster says as quiet as a lamb .. Not overly big but v nice .. Wouldn't have OZS on heifers again though.. Thought they were bit big for first timers,

Simms I'm not up to date .. KEZ and Apz throw heavy but butty enough cattle to me.. Though that See Pee Jay threw taller and more style to them .. Maybe a newer SIMM out there now AHC or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Thanks SonnyBill
    I'll have a look at the CH and SIM Bulls you've mentioned.
    ICBF have Fiston down as a hard calver by the way 6.8%
    Also from ICBF nothing on Sim's look like giving a good 4 or 5 replacement??
    Looks like I'm on the right track with the LM's except 'ZAG' need to find out if there is any heifer calves on the ground.
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

limo_100 wrote: »
    Have an OZS heifer for the bull in the morning what would you's put on her. shes from a PTE cow going back to HKG cow out of a black white head cow. This family is the highest preforming family in the herd but black white is gone. I was thinking simmental as to not go to far away from the milk??

I like the look of GS Vulvus from dova for a simmental bull for milk. Iv never used him but he looks like a really nice bull to try get a keeper from.

Anyone here used him?

pure breed wrote: »

Thanks

I've had plenty of bulls of OZS, you will lose out a bit when when you sell them as weanlings compared to calves of more muscled terminal Bulls but not by that much. I see from my ICBF report that almost all of my OZS Bulls have graded U's with a couple of U+'s also and killed out at heavy weights.

ZAG should be good but he's unproven yet, Looking at his breeding I doubt if he will improve milkiness in daughters.
    If you want to breed heifers I'd stick with OZS on bigger cows and maybe On-Dit on smaller cows.
    FSZ is a super bull and he's easy calved for a CH, not for heifers tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

ALANC81 wrote: »
    We mix 50/50 barley and beans and get a bag of minerals as well. We know nothing about mixing meal we just know that's working for now.

Beans, as in Soya bean?

sonnybill wrote: »
    Fiston is a good bull and not hard calved . Saw good calves all round from him I got E1130 for a calf out of him at 6.5 months!

Mine will get Fiston, Gurka and that new CF52 son Impeccable ..

OZS is class and my best heifer is by him, as another poster says as quiet as a lamb .. Not overly big but v nice .. Wouldn't have OZS on heifers again though.. Thought they were bit big for first timers,

Simms I'm not up to date .. KEZ and Apz throw heavy but butty enough cattle to me.. Though that See Pee Jay threw taller and more style to them .. Maybe a newer SIMM out there now AHC or whatever

Interesting that you say that about KEZ i have to and I wouldnt be happy with them at all they were both of heifers I was blaming the heifers, was thinking of using him again tomorrow on my heifer, I was told that hes breeding good big growthy cattle every where else. Will you use him again?? I have 1 APZ bull and infairness hes a fair animal to grow hes tall long and broad, but i wont use him again as his replacment figures are on the floor, what do you think of the new bull earp??

I like the look of GS Vulvus from dova for a simmental bull for milk. Iv never used him but he looks like a really nice bull to try get a keeper from.

Anyone here used him?

cheers for that but I only use progressive genetics bull as there is no other company round us.. what do you think of there spread of si bulls?? and have you any calves from them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Eurogene have a bull called Lennon breezer, he has serious figures and is five star across breeds including docility for everything except daughters milk.
    He's not on the active bull list tho, anyone ever used him?

He only joined the catalogue this year, they've a few new LM with high stars that look like good options, then have ABI & FZM which don't have the stars but deliver the goods (not really suitable for heifers)

cheers for that but I only use progressive genetics bull as there is no other company round us.. what do you think of there spread of si bulls?? and have you any calves from them

Some lads like Anatrim Bodybuilder but he's €20/straw, don't know if he's suitable for heifers.
    I put RIO on my OZS heifers, they'll probably be mad yokes. Would you consider an Angus like GJB?

Some lads like Anatrim Bodybuilder but he's €20/straw, don't know if he's suitable for heifers.
    I put RIO on my OZS heifers, they'll probably be mad yokes. Would you consider an Angus like GJB?

The only problem I have with salers is getting bulls, I actually had a saler calf down the spring I bought her as a slip of a weanling thought she was a lm but when I got her home i said your a funny looking limo I thought she was to deep of the color saler on the card she got bulled young and her growth suffered so i sold with a calf at foot. but her temperament was find no problem even had to get the vet to take the calf she had manners so i cant fault the temperament of the salers. My uncle breeds alot of blacks so if i want one I usually just buy them there tbh I'm well gone of blacks. That bodybuilder looks a serious looking bull in fairness was talking to the owner one day we said they have size, length, width and loads of milk but i'd dought my man is carrying him I was thinking of ordering a few. What do you think of earp or KEZ,

• Advertisement

Farrell wrote: »
    Beans, as in Soya bean?

Honestly I'm not sure. Whatever beans Mick Osulaven has in Camolin.

The father heads of with the trailer and comes back with a ton.

Interesting that you say that about KEZ i have to and I wouldnt be happy with them at all they were both of heifers I was blaming the heifers, was thinking of using him again tomorrow on my heifer, I was told that hes breeding good big growthy cattle every where else. Will you use him again?? I have 1 APZ bull and infairness hes a fair animal to grow hes tall long and broad, but i wont use him again as his replacment figures are on the floor, what do you think of the new bull earp??

Ive KEZ bull and a heifer.. heifer beautifully marked but I thought she would be growthier.. bull only 3 months and not much to look at really

APZ has frightening growth rates.. APZ bullock sold this year 610kg @ 17months.. he was always so weighty and fleshy.. had a mouth on him like a small walrus.. he was a 100kg heavier than some lim x comrades but you don't get the € per kilo for sim lads when selling as 1.5 year old grass stores as confirmation is just not there €2.10 a kg €1285

Don't know anything about Earp or KEZ. I used APZ a good bit, that put me off PG sims. Had a few calves off the Dovea bull QCD, a fine bull but a bit harder calved. Other Ai companies have better sims than PG I think.

Don't know anything about Earp or KEZ. I used APZ a good bit, that put me off PG sims. Had a few calves off the Dovea bull QCD, a fine bull but a bit harder calved. Other Ai companies have better sims than PG I think.

agree completely they have a poor selection they were offered the change to buy bodybuilder outright he would have being a winner for them, they turned that down, id say earp was bought on stars alone. What put you off APZ is it his inconsistency or his poor star ratings??

Ive KEZ bull and a heifer.. heifer beautifully marked but I thought she would be growthier.. bull only 3 months and not much to look at really

APZ has frightening growth rates.. APZ bullock sold this year 610kg @ 17months.. he was always so weighty and fleshy.. had a mouth on him like a small walrus.. he was a 100kg heavier than some lim x comrades but you don't get the € per kilo for sim lads when selling as 1.5 year old grass stores as confirmation is just not there €2.10 a kg €1285

thats good to know mine is two weeks younger that the kezs ( a heifer and a bull as well and well marked same as you ha) but hes coming like a train same as yours head down constant, what sim bulls will you use this year I prob will chance KEZ again if there in no bodybuilder strays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Notting by any pg bulls here. They haven't the best selection as said above. I think the celtic sires are amongst the best of the sims IMO.

agree completely they have a poor selection they were offered the change to buy bodybuilder outright he would have being a winner for them, they turned that down, id say earp was bought on stars alone. What put you off APZ is it his inconsistency or his poor star ratings??

Both, his poor ratings mean that his heifers are no good for the genomics scheme and the quality of his calves is mixed.
    And the docility of some of them was brutal, as mad as crazy lims.

thats good to know mine is two weeks younger that the kezs ( a heifer and a bull as well and well marked same as you ha) but hes coming like a train same as yours head down constant, what sim bulls will you use this year I prob will chance KEZ again if there in no bodybuilder strays

None really, I have been building numbers past few years but I kind of have enough now and will be having to let good older 5star cows go to make way for younger heifers (with less stars)but my aim is to have nothing but whites/ yellows for selling. I used adx on only cow I want to have a big square yellow heifer this year.

None really, I have been building numbers past few years but I kind of have enough now and will be having to let good older 5star cows go to make way for younger heifers (with less stars)but my aim is to have nothing but whites/ yellows for selling. I used adx on only cow I want to have a big square yellow heifer this year.

you haven't got any GPD calves hes suppose to be the real deal??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

... APZ has frightening growth rates.. APZ bullock sold this year 610kg @ 17months.. he was always so weighty and fleshy.. had a mouth on him like a small walrus.. he was a 100kg heavier than some lim x comrades ....

Funny, I've an APZ bull the same way, first in for the bit of meal and devours as much as can, as fast as he can.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement