Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

You had them half quietened for him sure!;)

Haha you overrate me. Thanks lad. I went in again tonight and caused havoc I was like Teresa May trying to push a deal! Bit of progress I think though all messing aside

High bike wrote: »
    well fcuk that anyway have a heifer in calf to him

I’ve FIVE!! Jesus. Ai man recommended him if they’re hard calved he’ll hear all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    well fcuk that anyway have a heifer in calf to him

It's a new system, separate CD figures for bulls used on heifers and cows now. The figure is naturally going to be higher on heifers. You can't compare the new figures to the old ones.
    I don't understand why they needed to change it tho. The calving difficulty figure was one of the few things that was reasonably accurate from ICBF once a bull was used a bit.
    I've never used him but he seems to be grand on heifers from what i've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Is see Knell is 7.5% calving difficulty on heifers on the updated ICBF. Still 1 star docility too

I've 2, tidy heifers to make it better

• Registered Users Posts: 4 killiansully

Who would be the best terminal sires.... not too hard calving?

• Advertisement

Gamin (ZGM) and Fiston (FSZ) are hard to beat for easy calving bulls.
    EBY, LM2014, Bivouac and Sicilien are very good bulls also i think.
    Lodge Hamlet would be another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

ZGH (Parthenaise) has left some very impressive animals here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I remember a few lads here used mereside favouri. What kind of cows did they make or not!!!! I was contemplating using him. I have a granddaughter of his (culled the mother after putting her bed out) the heifer is fine and has a nice bag, but one isn’t a big enough sample.

Also, I was planning on using fifty cent on some heifers and second calvers hoping for replacements....have anyone got cows out of him. Thanks Mac

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I remember a few lads here used mereside favouri. What kind of cows did they make or not!!!! I was contemplating using him. I have a granddaughter of his (culled the mother after putting her bed out) the heifer is fine and has a nice bag, but one isn’t a big enough sample.

Also, I was planning on using fifty cent on some heifers and second calvers hoping for replacements....have anyone got cows out of him. Thanks Mac
    I’ve a few coming to fifty cent hopefully too so I’ll be keen to hear any feedback as well. Had 2 bulls out of him 2 years ago. Great thriving cattle and docile but not mad quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I was going too use 50 cent in heifers but id a blue 3rd calver calved to sunny boy (50 cent half brother) and he was massive. Nearly the length of the jack. It was just bone, once the head and legs were out he was never under strain.

Was going to try AHC on 2 year old lm heifer with not much muscle.

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »

I have three cows cows off FZF here, they've all had three calves now. Good points are good calving ability, good length and frame, good fertility also.
    They lack a bit of milk tho, just about enough. He's not all that easy calved, calves are fairly big when born.
    He works best on smaller/medium sized cows with plenty of muscle to increase size and frame. Best used on cows with plenty of milk.
    He breeds really good bull calves also.

I've used Fifty Cent on some second calvers. He's very easy calved, would be ok on strong heifers i'd say. I wouldn't be all that impressed with his calves tho, they can be very plain. You'd want to be using him on heifers/cows with plenty of muscle and shape i reckon. I can see his stars going down a lot.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I was going too use 50 cent in heifers but id a blue 3rd calver calved to sunny boy (50 cent half brother) and he was massive. Nearly the length of the jack. It was just bone, once the head and legs were out he was never under strain.

Was going to try AHC on 2 year old lm heifer with not much muscle.

Fifty Cent isn't half the bull Sunnyboy is in my opinion. Fifty cent is a lot easier calved, but not the quality of Sunnyboy calves.

tanko wrote: »
    Fifty Cent isn't half the bull Sunnyboy is in my opinion. Fifty cent is a lot easier calved, but not the quality of Sunnyboy calves.

Never stopped growing.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Never stopped growing.

Last week

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

How many fellas will be using the new progressive blue bull, new red s3502. I presume he has the red gene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    How many fellas will be using the new progressive blue bull, new red s3502. I presume he has the red gene.

He has an S code so could be pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

I see k genetics will have a red blue as well in a couple of months.
    Done deal will be littered with "roan show calves"!

I see k genetics will have a red blue as well in a couple of months.
    Done deal will be littered with "roan show calves"!

You mean ***super roan show calves*** :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Baalbec10 wrote: »

Looks a bit short or if it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Doesn't matter sure they ll be roan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Any lads use Casimir 65 (LM2065)? What are his calves like? I see you can get Sexed Semen from Progressive so i might try him on a couple of cow this year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Any lads use Casimir 65 (LM2065)? What are his calves like? I see you can get Sexed Semen from Progressive so i might try him on a couple of cow this year

Saw a fine purebred heifer by him selling from the Roundhill herd before. Very big framey square heifer and very light in colour.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anyone had Loyal calves a bit tempermental? Ours here just gone 10 months & he's a bit fecking loolah. I'm putting it down to hormones & going to halter train him & see but it's the first calf I'm baffled by. He wasn't petted at all as a calf, then naturally came quiet about 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

On what type of cows it would be the best to use Lodge Hamlet? Is he good to calve for heifers? Has anyone kept his daughter for breeding, what about the milk?

golodge wrote: »
    On what type of cows it would be the best to use Lodge Hamlet? Is he good to calve for heifers? Has anyone kept his daughter for breeding, what about the milk?

Haven't used him but i'd think he'd work best on bigger cows cows that need a muscle injection. He's 3.5% for calving but might be best try him on second calvers first. He looks very poor for milk, those very muscly bulls usually are.

He's €22/straw here. How much would he cost you?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Haven't used him but i'd think he'd work best on bigger cows cows that need a muscle injection. He's 3.5% for calving but might be best try him on second calvers first. He looks very poor for milk, those very muscly bulls usually are.

He's €22/straw here. How much would he cost you?
    He's around €10/straw here. Other bulls start at ~€2/straw.

Currently using tail paint here to try detect heats... any tips on using it or other methods? I seem to be failing here

Currently using tail paint here to try detect heats... any tips on using it or other methods? I seem to be failing here

I keep a couple of young bullocks with each group of cows, find them great for picking up cows in heat but that's in May and June when they have grass in their bellies and the sun on their backs (sometimes).
    Are your cows on slats?

Yes they are inside on conc the lad who slays
    I keep a couple of young bullocks with each group of cows, find them great for picking up cows in heat but that's in May and June when they have grass in their bellies and the sun on their backs (sometimes).
    Are your cows on slats?

• Advertisement

Yes they are inside on conc the lad who slays

Would you coil them? Done a bit of ai here last year and found it as hard as a second calving season.

Advertisement