Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nice calf. Have you them out still?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Nice calf. Have you them out still?

The purebreds never see the inside of a shed unless calving late. Two or three in a field, a pain feeding them but the calves are hardy. Don’t have too many of them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Who2

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    Not sure if this was asked before, but has anyone calves off Tomschoice Jet??
    His milk figures have caught my eye. Any issues calving at 7.3%?
    Edit: Just noticed his skeletal score, any issues with height?

Cheers...

Not sure, I asked the same question a month or so back with no reply. I bought a bull by him ( hadn’t intended to but I liked him) if my lad is anything to go by, height definitely isn’t an issue. Nice shapey animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    Not sure if this was asked before, but has anyone calves off Tomschoice Jet??
    His milk figures have caught my eye. Any issues calving at 7.3%?
    Edit: Just noticed his skeletal score, any issues with height?

Cheers...

Unfortunately, he appears to be very small and short.

Unfortunately, he appears to be very small and short.

All those Tomschoice bulls are small and lacking in length. They're all out of the bull KAPRICO ERAVELLE and he seems to be passing on all those traits.
    He's good for gestation so the AI companies are trying to sell him on that.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Clenagh Mischief ET - cf52 son, anyone have any calves on the ground out of him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

sonnybill wrote: »
    Clenagh Mischief ET - cf52 son, anyone have any calves on the ground out of him ?
    https://twitter.com/BeefPrestige/status/1158626255886905344?s=20
    https://twitter.com/BeefPrestige/status/1148616550129328128?s=20
    There wouldnt be too many, first calves in may '19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

All those Tomschoice bulls are small and lacking in length. They're all out of the bull KAPRICO ERAVELLE and he seems to be passing on all those traits.
    He's good for gestation so the AI companies are trying to sell him on that.

World Wide Sires Ireland have Tomschoice Lexicon LM 4471, another Eravelle son, €20/straw. Has anyone ever dealt with them?

tanko wrote: »
    World Wide Sires Ireland have Tomschoice Lexicon LM 4471, another Eravelle son, €20/straw. Has anyone ever dealt with them?

I rang them about a month ago looking for prices etc. Got tru to a very nice lady who sent me a catalogue of the bulls and a price list by e-mail. She said they send straws to Munster AI regularly. I havent ordered from them yet.

I could attach the price list, but they don't have it up on their webpage so maybe better not to.

What bulls were you interested in?

I rang them about a month ago looking for prices etc. Got tru to a very nice lady who sent me a catalogue of the bulls and a price list by e-mail. She said they send straws to Munster AI regularly. I havent ordered from them yet.

I could attach the price list, but they don't have it up on their webpage so maybe better not to.

What bulls were you interested in?

I just enquired about that Lexicon bull.
    I shouldn't really be buying any straws this year, have enough of them in the pot to do a year or two. If I do get some i'll go for Gamin and Loyal from Bova.

• Advertisement

EBY is going to feature on a programme on RTE1 tonight at 9.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

tanko wrote: »
    EBY is going to feature on a programme on RTE1 tonight at 9.30.

Why do they use a limousin bull to “jump” the other lads?? Think they would have a big strong suckler cow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

sonnybill wrote: »
    Why do they use a limousin bull to “jump” the other lads?? Think they would have a big strong suckler cow

A cow would drive the bulls mad. Why have another animal to feed and more importantly worry about for bio security?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Has anyone got the new Munster or Dovea AI catalogs in the post yet? I usually get them but nothing yet here

• Registered Users Posts: 4 killiansully

I am new to A.I. I was wondering what bulls are good from your own experience and what cows have they been used on?

I am new to A.I. I was wondering what bulls are good from your own experience and what cows have they been used on?

It depends which company you are going to use and what your looking for? Are you looking to breed replacements? Is there a particular breed you are interested in? That may help narrow it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    It depends which company you are going to use and what your looking for? Are you looking to breed replacements? Is there a particular breed you are interested in? That may help narrow it down a bit.

Don’t forget the management of the cow precalving is as important as the calving difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

Has anyone any Alta heifers/ cows calved ,how are they for milk??

I’ve 1 Beguin straw to use - what would ye suggest putting it into?
    1. AA heifer off a SA cow (black in color)
    2. SA heifer off a SH cow (deep red in color)
    3. AU heifer (blonde in color)

All 2 yrs and in good condition

I know I can’t control the gender but would like a nice red animal off him rather than black.

I'd go with 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I’ve 1 Beguin straw to use - what would ye suggest putting it into?
    1. AA heifer off a SA cow (black in color)
    2. SA heifer off a SH cow (deep red in color)
    3. AU heifer (blonde in color)

All 2 yrs and in good condition

I know I can’t control the gender but would like a nice red animal off him rather than black.

Forget about No. 1.
    Opt for 2 or three

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Definetly number 3, it will bring a red coloured calf guranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Is Knell (LM4217), really that low of docility? I have 1 calf from last year from him and she is fairly quiet.

I have 7 heifers due to him in March and i was possible planning on using him again depending on how these turn out but wondering how other lads are finding him

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Is Knell (LM4217), really that low of docility? I have 1 calf from last year from him and she is fairly quiet.

I have 7 heifers due to him in March and i was possible planning on using him again depending on how these turn out but wondering how other lads are finding him

I’ve used him a few times, no problems whatsoever with docility, calves in my experience come out very light but thrive once they hit the ground. Ideal for heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’ve used him a few times, no problems whatsoever with docility, calves in my experience come out very light but thrive once they hit the ground. Ideal for heifers

Glad to hear that I’ve got 5 heifers coming to him next autumn I was fuming when I saw the docility figures

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Glad to hear that I’ve got 5 heifers coming to him next autumn I was fuming when I saw the docility figures

Same here, its a weird one docility and how its calculated. Im hoping for a few nice replacements this year from him so hopefully there quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Same here, its a weird one docility and how its calculated. Im hoping for a few nice replacements this year from him so hopefully there quiet!

I’m sick to death of cattle that are too hard to work with or make everything a battle. On another thread but I spent 10 days going round the dry cows getting a hand on them. Sickened by the jumps of them and little improvement. My father had a bit of a go at it for 2 days and 90% are like pets now. I’m nearly mad at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I’m sick to death of cattle that are too hard to work with or make everything a battle. On another thread but I spent 10 days going round the dry cows getting a hand on them. Sickened by the jumps of them and little improvement. My father had a bit of a go at it for 2 days and 90% are like pets now. I’m nearly mad at him!

You had them half quietened for him sure!;)

Is see Knell is 7.5% calving difficulty on heifers on the updated ICBF. Still 1 star docility too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

Is see Knell is 7.5% calving difficulty on heifers on the updated ICBF. Still 1 star docility too
    well fcuk that anyway have a heifer in calf to him

Advertisement