Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭High bike

golodge wrote: »
    On what type of cows it would be the best to use Lodge Hamlet? Is he good to calve for heifers? Has anyone kept his daughter for breeding, what about the milk?
    put him on a first calver this year and she calved away no bother,she was 30 mts at calving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭squinn2912

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Would you coil them? Done a bit of ai here last year and found it as hard as a second calving season.

Tried paint and a strong weanling that was jumping on anything when he was with the bull and cows but thevwee skitter went nowhere near the heifers. One had paint in tact for 6 weeks until we took the bull over. Repeated once bulled twice. Pain,

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Anyone have any experience of Dovea CH bull Loki

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

RobinBanks wrote: »

Seen some lovely calves off him, have a heifer calf scanned to him on a salers/ch 2nd calver this year so should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Seen a few serious pedigree calves off him. Very muscle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

On an older post someone mentioned that they thought his cattle were hard to finish, almost like a limousin.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I served him to a classy black LMX.
    Calf nothing exceptional.
    No problem calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’d like to try out Laheens Master, should bring muscle

I’d like to try out Laheens Master, should bring muscle

He looks an absolute belter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

I see mbp has disappeared from the limousins this year which is a pity as he always produced the goods

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

rushvalley wrote: »
    I see mbp has disappeared from the limousins this year which is a pity as he always produced the goods

Yeah, he's a serious terminal bull, being harder calved than average meant his stars were bad. If you ring Dovea they might still have straws off him even tho he's not in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I had a handy little Loki calf last night. Cow calved herself. Lovely roan colored bull calf. (Would have been a sweet heifer seen as everyone wants roan these days) Hes small but bit of shape to him so id say he will turn out ok. I will stick up a pic over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Used him last year. Bull calf born early February out of a sim cow with 3 spins. Weighted 450kg mid October in the mart. Smashing animal. Great muscle. Her time is up now to him again. Will post a pic when she calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Used him last year. Bull calf born early February out of a sim cow with 3 spins. Weighted 450kg mid October in the mart. Smashing animal. Great muscle. Her time is up now to him again. Will post a pic when she calves.
    What’s he like for height?
    Do you need a tall cow?

Masters was sold for 7k. Not a great photo from the show.

What’s he like for height?
    Do you need a tall cow?
    shes not that tall of a cow at all. His breeding is by pirate. I'm changed from ai to a bull this year. If I come across anything by loki I will buy

Loki ch4159 heifer calf born yesterday out of a PB sim cow.

Loki heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Loyal (lm4184) heifer calf born earlier. First of a good few I’ve put him incalf to. Out of 1st time calver, 26 months, bit over fat, and a pull needed. Very lively calf tho. 287 days gestation. Very happy with the calf. Here’s to hoping there all similar quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone know why DERRYGULLINANE KINGBULL is gone from Munster AI & Progessive Genetics?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

How do you know he is gone from progressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    How do you know he is gone from progressive?

He was taken down from both their websites.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Guys what saler bulls are you using? Someone told me there’s a quiet strain of them. I know I swore never to let another one into the yard but I’m considering the dark side

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Guys what saler bulls are you using? Someone told me there’s a quiet strain of them. I know I swore never to let another one into the yard but I’m considering the dark side

Join the dark side... they’re a great animal! :D

Ha im in the same boat here. Beguin has pretty positive reviews but is €26 per straw so im going to be starved and use his son knottstown roy at €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I've had three Ulsan (though he's gone now I think) Two heifers off quiet heifers & one bull off a wilder one. The heifers are the sweetest, quietest animals in the shed (both kept on for cows) but the bull was always a bit flighty. So I'd be hesitant to use Salers again on a wilder cow/heifer. Personally wouldn't read much into docility figures, would have more belief in quiet cows breeding quiet as the calves learn that humans aren't all bad. .

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Join the dark side... they’re a great animal! :D

Don’t get too excited we’re talking small scale

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Anyone know why DERRYGULLINANE KINGBULL is gone from Munster AI & Progessive Genetics?

Confirmed kingbull is out of stock, will be back in stock in 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

The 2020 Bova catalogue is up on their Facebook page.

Advertisement