Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

tanko wrote:
    Serious looking unit alrite and figures to match but unproven yet, €28 a straw too i think. Cant see him being easy calved.

Is it worth paying that bit extra for straws from top class bulls to get high quality weanlings for 15 to 20 cows. Surely it would pay off as much as a few extra bags of meal? An ounce of breeding and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Is it worth paying that bit extra for straws from top class bulls to get high quality weanlings for 15 to 20 cows. Surely it would pay off as much as a few extra bags of meal? An ounce of breeding and all that.

There’s as good bulls for a tenner imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

True, if someone is not getting good quality calves off bulls that cost a tenner a straw then their cows aren't good enough and using expensive straws won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Lads, there's serious bull**** going on with these expensive straws. Just because a bull's straw is expensive doesn't mean he's a good bull. No way, you can justify those prices for unproven bulls.
    Look at Bova AI for example, they are selling good bulls, proven in France at €10 a pop.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Was looking for an easy calving LM bull to use on beef heifers and came across Damona (DMM) from Eurogene. Anyone ever use him before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Homer jay

TPF2012 wrote: »
    What about Derrygullinane Kingbull?

He is savage looking bull with great figures but I also think he will be hard enough to calf, 5.9% based on 18 calvings. Who like to try him on a mature cow but not at €28 a straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

What Lim bull from PG would be recommended to bring a bit of frame while not being too hard calving. Have a XGL heifer here that is going to be very tall off a big SIM cow which I will keep as a replacement ever though his maternal figures aren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

50HX wrote: »
    tanko wrote: »
    PG dont seem to have much like that at the momemt. The likes of ADX and LM2117 look more like for mature cows, never used either.
    Lodge Hamlet looks easy calved, he's small but brings a lot of muscle, €22 a straw tho.
    ZAG brings muscle and shape but not the biggest.
    Gamin ZGM from Bova is a serious bull and easy calved.
    LM 2014 from Dovea looks very good too, easy calved, decent size and muscley.

Any adx i've used over the years are clean bonkers....off of quiet dams, great shape to them tho
    Any i’ve Had we’re grand temperament wise. Serious width.
    The daughters don’t have enough milk to colour your tea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Exact same experience here.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Was looking for an easy calving LM bull to use on beef heifers and came across Damona (DMM) from Eurogene. Anyone ever use him before?

Haven’t used him, but used JSS
    Easy calving but 292 gestation
    Have a lovely heifer off him that I’m Keeping for breeding.

Hesitant on DMM as think he’s narrow

• Advertisement

Has anyone used Tweedale lookout or Clenagh Mischief?
    They’ve 2 copies of Q204X gene

That mischief bull doesn’t have any calves yet

That mischief bull doesn’t have any calves yet

There’s 1 bull calf on ICBF
    Could be others not recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Same here. Good sq cattle quiet but no milk even when off milky dams

There’s 1 bull calf on ICBF
    Could be others not recorded

Very few I’d imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭golodge

Have 4 calves from Tweeddale Lookout (3bulls, 1heifer) and a couple cows incalf. Heifer was born at 278days and was pretty skinny and small, ~40kgs, second calf for the cow, but a heifer would have been able to calve such calf no bother. Bull calves were born at 285-291days, 48-56.5kg weight. All out of limx or charx cows. Had to assist to deliver the biggest calf.

Overall, not too bad calving and pretty good shape. The eldest calf is just 3months old, so can't say much yet, but overall quite a good bull. Have two first calvers incalf now. Going to use him some more. Not suitable for harder calved cows or heifers and wouldn't use on a more muscled cow, except if she's a spectacular calver.
    DSCF3211.jpg
    That's 7 weeks old calf out of plain, tall limx second calver.
    DSCF3209.jpg
    This one is out of charolaisxdairy 10years old cow.

DSCF3006.jpg
    The biggest calf at birth. Calves haven't expressed much of muscles at birth, but they have that Charolais calf look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 antrim1

Anyone using the Sim bulls Earp SI2152 or Fifty Cent SI12469?

Have a lovely batch of sim x heifers will be bulling in the Autumn and looking at them as possibles.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I used SI2152 a few years ago. Nice calf and didn't have an issue calving him. Killed out as an R grade bullock, good carcass weight too if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

antrim1 wrote: »

Have a lovely batch of sim x heifers will be bulling in the Autumn and looking at them as possibles.
    only one Fifty Cent bull calf here from a heifer calving at 24 mts , nice square calf and no issues calving.Will be using him on a few more heifers this year

Have used both here, i wouldn't put Earp on heifers anyway, he's a good bull but not easy enough calved for that job.
    Fifty cent is easier calved but calves off him are a bit plainer and less muscled than Earp calves, nice square calves off fifty cent all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

antrim1 wrote:

Being using Earp for about 3yrs or so. We've got nice heifers off Sim x cows.
    Had the first of them calf there in May nice CH x. 2 to calf in fall of year.
    Was expecting a better bag of milk.
    We got 3 heifers first yr out of 4 and 2 in last two yrs out of 2 straws used.
    So his lucky enough for heifers.
    Only had the 1 bull and he sold well off a CH x BB cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

pure breed wrote: »
    Being using Earp for about 3yrs or so. We've got nice heifers off Sim x cows.
    Had the first of them calf there in May nice CH x. 2 to calf in fall of year.
    Was expecting a better bag of milk.
    We got 3 heifers first yr out of 4 and 2 in last two yrs out of 2 straws used.
    So his lucky enough for heifers.
    Only had the 1 bull and he sold well off a CH x BB cow.

That would be his biggest fault from talking to lads, his daughters aren't awful milky. Breeding nice calves though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I threw 3 fifty cent straws in maiden heifers last week. Got him once before and turned out two good rugged bull calves not wonderful shape though

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

That would be his biggest fault from talking to lads, his daughters aren't awful milky. Breeding nice calves though

Agreed on milk, our Earp heifers are mostly outta of milky Sim x cows so hopefully they'll be ok, have one calving in fall of year out of BB x and she'll earn it to have milk from look of her at moment.
    Like the shape of heifers, the bulls not great sellers at all, which could be said for most Simentals being sold as weanlings I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Young lad has a few heifers he is going to ai a nice red white head and 2 AAx fr. His plan is to use si2152. What do ye think or a lim.?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Young lad has a few heifers he is going to ai a nice red white head and 2 AAx fr. His plan is to use si2152. What do ye think or a lim.?

Ive used SI2152 (Curaheen Earp) on young cows and think he would be risky on heifers.
    Lisnacrann fifty cent SI2469 would be a safer option if using a Simmental bull i think.
    If going for a Lim from PG, ZAG might be an option and lots of people put him on heifers but he's not an out and out easy calved bull either.
    My choice would be the Saler bull SA2153, a safe option for heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 antrim1

pure breed wrote: »
    Agreed on milk, our Earp heifers are mostly outta of milky Sim x cows so hopefully they'll be ok, have one calving in fall of year out of BB x and she'll earn it to have milk from look of her at moment.
    Like the shape of heifers, the bulls not great sellers at all, which could be said for most Simentals being sold as weanlings I suppose.

Sell all our bullocks at 9 to 11 months and I have to say cant complain about the prices. All would be Sim out of Sim x cows. Might not weigh as heavy as a CH (or shapely) of the same age but are always well priced in the local mart. Heifers all kept and the pick taken to go with the bull at 24months, again those sold always do well through the ring! The cow plays a big part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭148multi

Have one off fifty cent, you'd have to push him out of the way. He is a touch short with good shape but lacking muscle, he's out of a plain enough cow with a replacement figure of 94, his replacement figure is 135. I'm very happy with him.

148multi wrote: »
    Have one off fifty cent, you'd have to push him out of the way. He is a touch short with good shape but lacking muscle, he's out of a plain enough cow with a replacement figure of 94, his replacement figure is 135. I'm very happy with him.

Would ya not say shape and muscle are the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭148multi

Shape as in frame, here's cow and calf.
    Now icbf have cow replacement of 94 but calf at 135?
    IMG_20181014_113041.jpg

IMG_20181014_112929.jpg

IMG_20181014_113027.jpg

IMG_20181014_113119.jpg

Advertisement