Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Even the mighty LM2014 is looking like turning out like that too. He's in the bottom 5% on daughters calving, (reliability is low - 51%).

There are certain bull though that buck the trend. On-dit is 5% calving yet, which is average, yet only 3% for daughters calving, which is in the top1% of the breed. So, there are bulls oiut there, where you can have the best of both worlds.

Dubai and hawk the same but they bring good size frame. I think that the issue is worse when they are matched to the wrong cow/heifer. If you put a zag on a handy size heifer and put on 2014 type animal on the daughter you'd end up with a very small framed animal with a lot of muscle. They are all good bulls but have their place.

Personally can't stand zag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Dubai and hawk the same but they bring good size frame. I think that the issue is worse when they are matched to the wrong cow/heifer. If you put a zag on a handy size heifer and put on 2014 type animal on the daughter you'd end up with a very small framed animal with a lot of muscle. They are all good bulls but have their place.

Personally can't stand zag.

Hello fellow thinker!

Got chastised by some ass on twitter for using thz over zag. I'd much rather a plainer heifer that can calve instead of a fancy little thing!
    Absolutely nothing wrong with thz when used with muscle in the breeding.

Hello fellow thinker!

Got chastised by some ass on twitter for using thz over zag. I'd much rather a plainer heifer that can calve instead of a fancy little thing!
    Absolutely nothing wrong with thz when used with muscle in the breeding.

Thz cows are some of the best I have ever seen. Tall, long (very long), loads of milk and a proper frame to them. You could cross them to something very extreme and they will calve it no bother. I'll get roasted for saying it but I'd rate him better than Cerberus even.

Thz cows are some of the best I have ever seen. Tall, long (very long), loads of milk and a proper frame to them. You could cross them to something very extreme and they will calve it no bother. I'll get roasted for saying it but I'd rate him better than Cerberus even.

Very underrated imo. Only one I have (for now) is long but small as her mother is small. Yet calved a smashing blue this year & is feeding him well.
    Never had an issue with calving him either, consistent with small calves.

Very underrated imo. Only one I have (for now) is long but small as her mother is small. Yet calved a smashing blue this year & is feeding him well.
    Never had an issue with calving him either, consistent with small calves.

Grate value at a tenner too. If you have an iffy one you'd put in two straws no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

.... Personally can't stand zag.

:D... I feel that way about Cerberus. The devil incarnate. Seen the madness twice and heard other horror stories from breeders.
    You can't beat using a straw or two yourself to get a feel for a bull.

Bova are great value for straws alright. Bought some Gamin and Excel this year. My thinking so far is that Gamin will add muscle and Excel will add frame.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

:D... I feel that way about Cerberus. The devil incarnate. Seen the madness twice and heard other horror stories from breeders.
    You can't beat using a straw or two yourself to get a feel for a bull.

Bova are great value for straws alright. Bought some Gamin and Excel this year. My thinking so far is that Gamin will add muscle and Excel will add frame.

Ya exactly, gamin a good bull for muscle especially a wide top. You'd want a bit of milk in the cow to keep a heifer though. I've a nice Gamin cow, she's a little low but powerful and not to extreme. She has plenty of milk but out of a good milker. I love Excel and will be using him next year. Loyal a great bull too, easy calving with milk. Won't bring size though.

How did you see the% within breed for zag daughter calving. I can see the %8 daughter calving difficulty but how do you brake that down to the bottom% of the breed? Thanks

How did you see the% within breed for zag daughter calving. I can see the %8 daughter calving difficulty but how do you brake that down to the bottom% of the breed? Thanks

On the first page, click on 'daughter calving difficulty'. This will open a new page. You'll see 'Percentile rank within breed'. 1 in the case of ZAG.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

He's not been mentioned on this thread before but here's an OOT Torres de l'Ecluse calf off a 2nd calver born this morning (Cow heifer will be 3yrs on 28th May)
    Calved herself in half an hour, but has been on hay/minerals for the last month/6weeks.

GUGQCmBl.jpg
    AIC8yral.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Anybody try Bova Kaiser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Anyone know much about Wilodge Goldcard (lm4050) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭High bike

Question for the pedigree breeders Jackpot or Ironside for a Sympa cow , and why??

High bike wrote: »
    Question for the pedigree breeders Jackpot or Ironside for a Sympa cow , and why??

I've used Ironside once but cow was very small. Ironside is small too, so result was a very small bull. Jackpot looks great but calving is 9%.

So....:rolleyes:, if cow is smallish use Jackpot but she'd want to be a good calver.

Goldie's jackpot? Probably go with him. Better seller and to much Tonka around imo. He looks a right good bull. If the sympa is around the%4 cd you should still end up with a %7 cd bull roughly so easy sold. Depends on the back breeding of the cow though.

Am leaning towards Jackpot as she’s plenty big enough and calved on her own last couple of years to wge and agb , anyone know how much the straws are?

Am leaning towards Jackpot as she’s plenty big enough and calved on her own last couple of years to wge and agb , anyone know how much the straws are?

€55
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/GOLDIES-JACKPOT

How did the agb calf work out?

Was the Munster catalogue I saw him Patsy but I think they work together anyway.The wge is a nice calf now lovely temperament not like his mother but not over big I think.I’ll stick up a pic if I can get the hang of this new phone.Sorry I thought was the other lad, she’s a nice calf but only 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

If she came from a good framed cow should be no issue. But these lads going down the %3 easy calving for years and retaining females are breeding themselves into a herd of APZ's and it's the bulls used on them that will get the blame.

This notion that cows bred off easy calving bulls have poor calving ability just isnt true. Bulls ike Highlander, Ionesco, Hauteclair, Pirate, On-Dit, Milbrook Tanko, Palmares, Epson etc are all easy calved and bred cows that are well able to calve. Im sure there are plenty more examples of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have a zag heifer (by mistake) out a very big rocky cow and she is plain enough and tight in the pelvis. A bull that progressive pushed hard and have seen very few good cattle after him.

Have a zag heifer (by mistake) out a very big rocky cow and she is plain enough and tight in the pelvis. A bull that progressive pushed hard and have seen very few good cattle after him.

He was easy calving and weanlings looked well so plenty of straws sold of him. It's all about the €€€.

• Advertisement

He was easy calving and weanlings looked well so plenty of straws sold of him. It's all about the €€€.

What really pissed me off about him was the fact that Gene Ireland lauded themselves for the stars scheme working and that he was an example of that.
    Well now I don't play darts but if I throw enough of them at a board I'll hit a bullseye every so often.

They’r a mixed bag all rite have 2 commercial heifers here one nice wide heifer off a sim cow and the other a narrow yoke off a lim cow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

tanko wrote: »
    This notion that cows bred off easy calving bulls have poor calving ability just isnt true. Bulls ike Highlander, Ionesco, Hauteclair, Pirate, On-Dit, Milbrook Tanko, Palmares, Epson etc are all easy calved and bred cows that are well able to calve. Im sure there are plenty more examples of them.

The bulls you mention are low on calving difficult and their daughter calving difficultly is very low too.

The problem is some farmers only look at calving difficultly & ignore daughter calving difficultly, keep a heifer for replacement and at calving wonder why there was a problem.

I’d be wary of keeping replacement heifers off the likes off bulls like AA4087 who is 2.7 CD but 8.1 DCD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How are people finding gold star ludwig?
    Thinking of crossing him on a good tall Charolais cow hopefully of a heifer for replacement?

Would many agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

How are people finding gold star ludwig?
    Thinking of crossing him on a good tall Charolais cow hopefully of a heifer for replacement?

Would many agree?

Had similar thinking. Put him on framey milky lms hoping to improve bone and not compromise milk too much

tanko wrote: »

Agree with you, but the bulls you mentioned have a good frame and easy calving. Much like a favourite of mine Dubai. Where the issue arises is a tiny easy calving bull with muscle = no frame = no room to calve. They are pushing these bulls as the best and the daughters to be breed with similar. I think that lm2014 will be the same down the line but not as bad as zag, he'll be the next APZ if not worse.

MEELICKADUFF LAMBORGHINI

Could you go wrong at €10 a pop. Calving difficulty would worry me.
    Sympa x Vantastic from a great cow.

http://www.dunmascgenetics.ie/shop/beef-sires/limousin-bull-society-lamborghini-copy/

https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/1348200036

Cow at Tullamore;

tm17ilim9315.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

MEELICKADUFF LAMBORGHINI

Could you go wrong at €10 a pop. Calving difficulty would worry me.
    Sympa x Vantastic from a great cow.

http://www.dunmascgenetics.ie/shop/beef-sires/limousin-bull-society-lamborghini-copy/

https://webapp.icbf.com/bull-search/view/1348200036

Cow at Tullamore;

tm17ilim9315.jpg

Put 5 straws on cows this year. Will see how they go next year

valtra2 wrote: »
    Put 5 straws on cows this year. Will see how they go next year

PB or commercial? +52Kg on carcass weight. Never seen a lim bull that high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Is she a great cow. There was a lot of raised eyebrows the day she won Tullamore. Heard some unflattering comments about her that day, bad feet and legs apparently.
    Is Lamborgini not the bull that couldnt be sold at society sales and ended up in Ai. Anyway, be interesting to see how he does.

Advertisement