Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭golodge

Newborn bull calf from Tweeddale Lookout. 281day gestation, cow is 3rd calver, calved unassisted. Should be around 45kg.
    DSCF3014.jpg
    DSCF3010.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I've said it here before but anyone on Snapchat should follow jalex herd. He'd a long clip today of in calf heifers he is selling in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Pidae.m wrote: »
    I've said it here before but anyone on Snapchat should follow jalex herd. He'd a long clip today of in calf heifers he is selling in the spring.

Some nice BBX & LMX heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

What’s the user name?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

What’s the user name?

jalexherd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jalex buy their heifers down south and sell most of them to customers down south again. Bit mad when from a disease control point of view. What testing is involved for this?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Jalex buy their heifers down south and sell most of them to customers down south again. Bit mad when from a disease control point of view. What testing is involved for this?

If you produced / breed the same stock for sale here lads wouldn't pay you half the price they will give to travel up there and buy them. It's mad really.

If you produced / breed the same stock for sale here lads wouldn't pay you half the price they will give to travel up there and buy them. It's mad really.
    Reputation & name
    Isn’t it the same when buying a bull

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That’s exactly it. Lads going mad running after the designer label. Pumped to the gills with meal and calving at 36 months at 700kgs plus. Lot of side door fun too I’ve heard of little only hard calvings. They’re flashy looking surely but even should they work out their male calves be far too big for factory so there’s another nice cut on the last day.
    Like the above post says, the most profitable way is to produce your own replacements

You get the idea

• Advertisement

Saw this bucko on Instagram.

Ten months old. Off a xgl stock bull. Cow calving 10th of Sept to escalop.

Dry cow I bought, delighted she started springing..... What were the odds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭golodge

Little girl shaping up well. She had a rough start, when her dam didn't have milk after calving, but later another cow lost her calf and took her with ease.
    DSCF3082.jpg
    DSCF3094.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Used SOY today. That's an old straw for sure!
    Also used Knockmoyle Loki on a couple yesterday, seems to be dropping nice calves.

Also might have got my paws on a VDC straw. Might!!

Used SOY today. That's an old straw for sure!
    Also used Knockmoyle Loki on a couple yesterday, seems to be dropping nice calves.

Also might have got my paws on a VDC straw. Might!!
    Is VDC still to be got
    Remember going to the ploughing when in school and was impressed with the calves
    Sadly couldn’t convince

Is VDC still to be got
    Remember going to the ploughing when in school and was impressed with the calves
    Sadly couldn’t convince

I was told there was a straw floating around that I *may* be able to have. Will see how it pans out though.
    Would be ecstatic if I can get it, no harm if I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Anyone any thoughts on where to get a good limousin heifer to start a small herd from. We already have a few blondes and a simentals purebred, looking to get a nice limousin to breed our own stock bull of off every year to mop up cows. We would have a few options to use each year then depending on who has a bull calf. Would ye say wait till later in the year for sales or contact breeders individually. Thanks

Anyone ever use the bull Edakkya (LM2242)?
    Seems to be a good all-rounder. 198 calves by him on the ground.
    €18 a straw.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1047315556

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/EDAKKYA

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Anyone ever use the bull Edakkya (LM2242)?
    Seems to be a good all-rounder. 198 calves by him on the ground.
    €18 a straw.

https://webapp.icbf.com/v2/app/bull-search/view/1047315556

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/EDAKKYA

Looks good Patsy but the reliability figures are low so you’d be taking a chance I think

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    Looks good Patsy but the reliability figures are low so you’d be taking a chance I think

He's proven in France. Fertility 118 and Milk 107. Were you happy with Bavardage? I remember you were going to try him? I was told by Munster AI that straws are now gone.

He's proven in France. Fertility 118 and Milk 107. Were you happy with Bavardage? I remember you were going to try him? I was told by Munster AI that straws are now gone.
    Had a heifer calf but not over impressed with her so far, she’s very slow to shape up or maybe they’r not very muscley I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Way beef heading could b a collectors item n few years!!!

From the Irish Limousin website;

Until further notice Ballinloan Jaegerbomb progeny pedigrees, future registrations and trading are suspended
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/2019/05/03/ballinloan-jaegerbomb/

From the UK Limousin site;
    We have become aware that BCMS have withdrawn passports for various Ballinloan and other Ballinloan related animals and BCMS have sent notices to the owners of the relevant animals. The cause appears to be errors relating to the registration of either the date of birth and/or the parentage of the animals concerned. These animals are also registered with the British Limousin Cattle Society. Below is a list of animals where we are aware that BCMS have withdrawn the passport. This means that the pedigree of these animals and any progeny is in doubt.
    https://limousin.co.uk/2019/05/notice-to-blcs-members/

Update on this. Must have been some serious messing going on in that herd.
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/2019/08/30/update-from-british-limousin-cattle-society-28th-august-2019/

Update on this. Must have been some serious messing going on in that herd.
    https://www.irishlimousin.com/2019/08/30/update-from-british-limousin-cattle-society-28th-august-2019/

Huh.....so what's the general consensus? Were there different breeds introduced or is it all to do with DOB. I'd have thought if it was just a birthdate issue they wouldn't strip the Ped status.
    Going to be some very ticked off breeders.

Huh.....so what's the general consensus? Were there different breeds introduced or is it all to do with DOB. I'd have thought if it was just a birthdate issue they wouldn't strip the Ped status.
    Going to be some very ticked off breeders.

Don't know. DOB's seem to be the only hard evidence mentioned. Can't see how changing the registered dam tag no. would help the breeder.

Don't know. DOB's seem to be the only hard evidence mentioned. Can't see how changing the registered dam tag no. would help the breeder.

Nor can I. It's very strange.

• Advertisement

Whatever it was I’m glad they got caught

Advertisement