Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Bova prices

Where did you get that? No prices on their website.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Where did you get that? No prices on their website.

The local rep down here emailed it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

I see the Dovea 2019 beef catalogue is out, a few new lims on it.

tanko wrote: »
    I see the Dovea 2019 beef catalogue is out, a few new lims on it.

I see that. The new bull Ernevalley Madison is there. Saw him selling in Roscrea. Serious looking bull. But his Myostatin status looks worrying. Not easy calving, I'd say. Same status as Elite Icecream in Munster. That single F94L / single Q204X status.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I see that. The new bull Ernevalley Madison is there. Saw him selling in Roscrea. Serious looking bull. But his Myostatin status looks worrying. Not easy calving, I'd say. Same status as Elite Icecream in Munster. That single F94L / single Q204X status.

The charolais bulls flatter to decieve. Nothing catches the eye. In progressive, clenagh mischief and cavelands levi are very interesting whereas dovea just seem to be going for the >8% calving difficulty bulls.
    Elite ice cream is high reliability and is only at 8%, he was meant to be the next tvr

• Advertisement

The charolais bulls flatter to decieve. Nothing catches the eye. In progressive, clenagh mischief and cavelands levi are very interesting whereas dovea just seem to be going for the >8% calving difficulty bulls.
    Elite ice cream is high reliability and is only at 8%, he was meant to be the next tvr

8.3% is very high for a Lim. That's in the bottom 3% of the breed. Try selling a Lim bull at 8%. I have Lim bulls at 5% and lads would be reluctant to buy even at those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Ya I thought they would have something new. I hear good things about Loki and lsp is a right good bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Does this basicly mean he carrys the double muscle gene?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Does this basicly mean he carrys the double muscle gene?

From page 48 of the 2019 PG/Munster AI catalogue;

Variant Q204X is commonly found in the Charolais breed & with

lower frequency in the Limousin breed. Homozygous animals

exhibit: greater loin depths, large rounded rump & thighs,

reduced fat cover & greater meat tenderness. However, they may

also have heavier birth weights & slightly reduced milking ability

& calving ability in females. Heterozygous animals (Q204X/+)

exhibit the above characteristics albeit to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

It’s not worth their while buying an expensive bull with 10%+ CD because they simply won’t make their money back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Would anyone know the price of a queenshead altea straw from dovea? The new catalogue is out and he is looking good for my salers bred heifers. Thanks for any info in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    Would anyone know the price of a queenshead altea straw from dovea? The new catalogue is out and he is looking good for my salers bred heifers. Thanks for any info in advance

I think they were €50 in the past, dont know if that has changed.
    EBY or LM2014 might be worth looking at.

I asked the Dovea guys at the ploughing about Mullary Intrepid. He's €20 a straw. Him and Altea are the only 2 bulls in the 'Special range' so that might give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Queenshead is more aimed at the pedigree market, not putting you off if you like him but there's plenty of bulls just as good (if not better!) which are cheaper. Was 50 last time I used him 2 yrs ago.

Queenshead is more aimed at the pedigree market, not putting you off if you like him but there's plenty of bulls just as good (if not better!) which are cheaper. Was 50 last time I used him 2 yrs ago.

Poor walker too. Only scores 3/100 for Locomotion. You'll end up with a bull walking like a woman in a tight mini dress.

Poor walker too. Only scores 3/100 for Locomotion. You'll end up with a bull walking like a woman in a tight mini dress.

:D

https://twitter.com/LesProLaitiers/status/1052142167341363200

Had a heifer here once and her back legs were like that. She was an AI bred simm from a bought in simm cow so might have been inbreeding. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Going way back in time. Anybody has ever dealt with Limousine bull Tastevin( EpsonxHighlander)?
    http://www.trouverlebontaureau.com/nos-taureaux/taureau_FR3330021849
    Have bought the first for us purebred limo heifer and her pedigree goes back to him, so would be interesting to hear what he was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Seanhorse91

golodge wrote: »
    Going way back in time. Anybody has ever dealt with Limousine bull Tastevin( EpsonxHighlander)?
    http://www.trouverlebontaureau.com/nos-taureaux/taureau_FR3330021849
    Have bought the first for us purebred limo heifer and her pedigree goes back to him, so would be interesting to hear what he was like.

Semen can still be got off the limousine society. Going by their description of him he’s a milk improver but has his docility issues...

https://www.irishlimousin.com/portfolio-items/tastevin/

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Semen can still be got off the limousine society. Going by their description of him he’s a milk improver but has his docility issues...

https://www.irishlimousin.com/portfolio-items/tastevin/
    No docility problems with the heifer. Homebred heifers should learn from her how to behave... Though he's a grandsire of the heifer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

I have a bull calf by OKH (KELTIC HANDSOME) and he's shaping up nicely. Looks to be growth also.

Pasty have you bred from any okh heifers. Milk figures seem to be dropping every evaluation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

adne wrote: »
    Pasty have you bred from any okh heifers. Milk figures seem to be dropping every evaluation

The fantastic stars say Dubai is -6kg for milk lol, pure fairys.

adne wrote: »

I've two bulls by him. He breeds narrowish cattle. That's the one thing I don't like about him. The cow would want to be extra wide and muscley.

The fantastic stars say Dubai is -6kg for milk lol, pure fairys.

Thought that myself, have a heifer by him here & she had a super bag of milk last year.
    Lovely animal there!

Thought that myself, have a heifer by him here & she had a super bag of milk last year.
    Lovely animal there!

Ya it's strange, Dubai's dam and Ronick Hawk are full brother and sister. Hawk is one of the best there ever was and Dubai gets roasted? I liked the stars a few years ago but the more I see the more flaws I see. Anyone breeding for Stars will have feck all in a few years. I just look at the calving difficulty now and the linear scores. I think that they have removed the linear scores for new bulls now? Something that was actually useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Ya it's strange, Dubai's dam and Ronick Hawk are full brother and sister. Hawk is one of the best there ever was and Dubai gets roasted? I liked the stars a few years ago but the more I see the more flaws I see. Anyone breeding for Stars will have feck all in a few years. I just look at the calving difficulty now and the linear scores. I think that they have removed the linear scores for new bulls now? Something that was actually useful.

Have they removed linear scoring or just choose not to publish them? I'd imagine every Gene Ireland bull is scored as part of the program

Have they removed linear scoring or just choose not to publish them? I'd imagine every Gene Ireland bull is scored as part of the program

Not sure what way they have done it but it's the same thing when you can't look them up. Complete madness. One of the useful things that they had when looking at different bulls.

I've two bulls by him. He breeds narrowish cattle. That's the one thing I don't like about him. The cow would want to be extra wide and muscley.

Your right. The stock are a bit bet behind. Had this okh lady off ped last night. Time will tell I guess

Your right. The stock are a bit bet behind. Had an okh lady off ped last night. Time will tell I guess if there is a strain of milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Received the gene Ireland 2019 beef brochure in the post today. Anyone ordering from it this year? I'm thinking of giving the saler bull a try. I know the figures aren't much to go by. I tried the saler in last years catalog and have a fine bull calf of him this year already.

Advertisement