Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Iron Elvis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

catweazle wrote: »
    I did Connemara - Joey Hannon (OLY) - Athy (OLY) - Salthill (Sprint) - Humbert (HIM) in 2010 and I felt my winters training was all about running. After Connemara I then tried to compensate by doing loads of swimming and cycling and I then fell back again on my run fitness.

Last year I did very little racing, Salthill (Sprint), Kilkee Olympic, The Humbert and then DCM, I felt this suited me much better as i was able to split my time much better and gradually build up to my main race.

3 Marathons in a year is a lot :eek:

Yeah i was thinking of that yesterday and am thinking of just doing the half in Longford as i like doing the half and haven't one in my calender at all.

At the moment the running is my main focus. But i am doing a club spinning class and some club swimming as well ( the swimming is to help me improve so i can build distance once conna is out of the way )

Monday was runday

I did 6.5K and pace was fine. Chest is healing slowing and pace is building with it.

it was a flat enough circuit in the city centre. I'm going to change every second monday and do a hilly trail in the dark next monday to work on my hills as conna in mind.

I'm back enjoying it and actually look forward to it now.

Tuesday was spinning

Back to the class with the club and a class leader who doesn't hold back and puts together some great classes.

I wear my cycling shoes on the bikes we use which makes it easier and gives you a better workout.

We started with a light warm up and then its a 3.5 min sprint which i really went for and the sweat started to roll down my face.

Recovery in the standing position before we begun to increase the resistance and worked on climbing for about 5 min which really got to the thighs and the breathing hard as well.

Now reduce the resistance and spin out the legs before a 4 min sprint in the tri position which was hard in the last min but i pushed it out.

Standing recovery followed by sitting with arms by the side and building the resistance to work the legs and stomach muscles.

Resistance dropped to spin out the legs and a standing sprint of 3 mins.

Recovery and a drink and one final sprint in the position of your choice ( tri for me ) and then warm down.

Really good session and enjoyed it..............even if the music was utter $hite:D

Coached swimming session last night.

Anyone who has followed me will know that swimming is my major downfall.

Anyway the two main aims of last nights session were to work on my breathing and stroke.

When we started off a 20m length was taking 20 stokes and 30 sec............

I tend to breath every 4 strokes which leads to me wasting a lof of enegry just breathing and off the head lifting doesn't help my position in the water. We worked on breathing every 4 and 6 strokes and 4 seemed to work a lot better even if it is on my right side every time. its a learning process and i'll develop as i go.

Next it was onto my stoke and we broke that down and started again with the entry, glide, pull and push. We'll do more on that but worked on the basics.

Again at th end of the session he timed me and it was 15 strokes and in 21 sec so that one session showed a major improvment if i can put that into pratice.

The main positive for me was the breathing whcih has held me back.

8 to 10k run today:)

Well i tried something new last night, trail running in the dark !

Conna has some decent hills so i need to get some hill work into my training and thats what thursday is going to be about for the next while.

There is a local wood beside me with a great 2.1k circuit and its about 1.5k away from me to get to.

I got out at about 6 with a lovely bright green top and head lamp on.

Its a steady climb into the woods so you going up hill from about 1k onwards where the need for the light also comes in as well.

The light took a bit of getting used to as my breath kept fogging up in front of me but a sorted that by breathing slightly differently.

In the woods themselves 1k is on trail and 1k is on an old laneway. The trail was great to run on and is almost all up hill with a 600m steep steep climb.

When i got onto the laneway there is some downhill which i had to slow down for as there are potholes and i had to be careful about where i placed my feet.

I did 2 laps of the circuit and as i finished each time my breathing was back to normal after the climbing which is what i'm looking for so it isn't taking too much out of me.

On the way back the first 500m is downhill and my legs felt loose so i decided to push it and increase the pace. I got it to 5:10 a km by the end which i was very happy with and i have to say it was the best run i've done in a long time.

A total of 7.6k and if i add another lap of the circuit i can push it to almost 10k which is ok for a midweek run.

I really enjoyed it and its good to do something different.

This evening will be a light turbo session if i can get my man cave cleaned out:)

• Advertisement

Quiet weekend as i ended up having to work sat and sun, you'd think i'd get a bit of time off in jan.............but no :(

Plan for the week is.

Tues - Spinning
    Wen - Run 6k and Coached swimming session
    Thurs - Hilly trail run 10k
    Fri - Turbo Session
    Sat - 18k LSR
    Sunday - swim with the kids and alone when they are getting changed.

I'm off next week to get my bloods done and see am i getting hold of the diabetes or will i need daily meds.

Spinning last night and it was a great session.

An hr of hard work and i went in 15 min early to get an extra bit of work in. I was nicely warmed up when the class started and really pushed it for the hr.

I feel i'm well ahead of where i was this time last yr and fingers crossed this will continue to build.

Training in work so i don't know if i'll get my run done but i have a coached swimming session this evening !

One to one coached swimming session last night.

Main aim of the next few weeks is to sort out my breathing, head position and stroke.

Last night it was head position as i tended to lift my head when breathing which didn't help my body position and slowed me down.

We worked the position of my leading arm as to balance my body while turning to follow my moving arm ( if that makes sense ). It reallt helped and i am more stable in the water and having to do less work so not gulping in air and leaving myself in bits after 50m.

By fixing my position we've come up with another issue in at i am higher in the water, make stable and not my kicking is causing spray up and that is holding me back as well so i have to work on the upward motion of my left leg and i'm doing too much and almost taking it out of the water.

Overall a good session and i'll hit the pool tomorrow at lunch for 20 controlled quality lengths which will be done really slowly and working on the areas we touched last night.

Tonight is trial running:D

I did 7.6k last week and upping it to 10k this week and hoping to hold it at that each thursday for the next while.

At the moment i have a quiet weekend apart from supporting my wife in her 10k. So i'm aiming for 19k to 22k of an LSR.

Weight isn't shifting and i need to chat with my doc as i'm working out, eating healthy and nothing is happening in the last while:(

Been a while since i've been here, i've done a bit and had a nice break away with my wife in London.

I've had my bloods done and all is looking good. They are improving with cholestrol down, blood pressure down and HBA1C ( 6 month bloods ) down as well.

The only problem as i've said is the weight not moving and i did discuss it with my doctor who is very happy about the above and how i'm dealing with my diabetes.

When i was training for half marathons and shorter triathlons the weight came off. Add to that i was still filling myself with sugar as well so a lot of thinking was done.

So after 2 bottles of wine, a bowl of chilli and a lot of thought..............half iron and full marathons are being put on the back burner for the moment:(

The best path for me at the moment is to focus on half marathons and shorter tri where i do a lot more high impact training.

For example if i do a LSR of 25k on a sat i prob won't be able to do anything until monday. Where as if i do a good 15K on a sat i can so a cycle or something else on the sunday.

It will lead to less rest days but more days exercising which is good for my diabetes and weight loss.

If i'm honest the idea of running another full marathon while carrying 16 stone doesn't really appeal to me.

The plan now for the next 12 weeks is to work hard at short distance races with 2 half marathons, a sprint tri and some smaller races as well.

Perheaps when i hit july my weight could be heading in the right direction and the Longford marathon could be a goal but for now its time change tact and get the weight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The best path for me at the moment is to focus on half marathons and shorter tri where i do a lot more high impact training.
    For example if i do a LSR of 25k on a sat i prob won't be able to do anything until monday. Where as if i do a good 15K on a sat i can so a cycle or something else on the sunday.
    It will lead to less rest days but more days exercising which is good for my diabetes and weight loss.

This keeps confusing me, I think because I understand 'high impact' differently to you. When I think of high impact, I think of hard, fast sessions - intervals, tempo runs, PMP runs, whatever, and a hard 15k would leave me in worse condition than a 25k LSR. But it sounds (:confused:) like you mean doing 15k at LSR pace, so you can do something else the next day. Increasing the quantity of training, by lowering your targets for each session?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    This keeps confusing me, I think because I understand 'high impact' differently to you. When I think of high impact, I think of hard, fast sessions - intervals, tempo runs, PMP runs, whatever, and a hard 15k would leave me in worse condition than a 25k LSR. But it sounds (:confused:) like you mean doing 15k at LSR pace, so you can do something else the next day. Increasing the quantity of training, by lowering your targets for each session?

Yeah maybe i'm not being clear on what works for me.

The 15K would be at a gentle but not LSR pace.

I'll try harder to explain.

Training for a sprint/olympic tri i can do 2 good session in a day and 1 the next. With the longer races its one session and it takes longer to recover.

I need shorter more frequent exercise. As is a fast 5k in the morning and a 20k cycle in the evening is better for me than a 12k run.

Once i get the weight down i can focus on longer races but for now i need to get it down and more/short sessions worked early last yr so i'm going that route to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Okay, I think I see what you mean.
    You should be a bit careful with those fast 5ks, because as well as burning energy quickly (which you want) they will also put more strain on your muscles and joints (which you don't really want). Leaving aside the swimming and cycling, if you run a fast 5k 3/4 times a week, your injury risk will probably go up.

RayCun wrote: »
    Okay, I think I see what you mean.
    You should be a bit careful with those fast 5ks, because as well as burning energy quickly (which you want) they will also put more strain on your muscles and joints (which you don't really want). Leaving aside the swimming and cycling, if you run a fast 5k 3/4 times a week, your injury risk will probably go up.

I learned that the hard way two yrs ago:(

No i'll mix with up with longer distances, hill work and going to start interval which i haven't done up until now.

Started back again last night.

First workout of the week was a 5k that i wanted to do as fast as i could.

I managed 28:20 which isn't bad for a 16 stone man starting back after a lot of stop start. The run went well and i was able to get the pace up from the start which felt good as i was only hoping to get a time of 30 min.

Monday evening is going to be 5k at pace evening from now on and i want a PB as mine currently stands at 25:12.

This evening is club spinning which is always a good workout.

8 weeks until conna and i'm focusing on the half now, the new regime of more frequent short workouts will have until then to show some results and if they do i'll continue with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Glad to see you back at it. I get where youre coming from on your readjustment of goals. Just want to throw a cat among the pigeons tho. :) What Im finding with my current training, is that its not the length of the session that affects my need for recovery, it's the intensity of it. I can do many more hours now than I was doing last year, because the hr zone Im working in is kept to a particular level, not by feel or guesswork, but by measuring it. If you dont already, I would say get an accurate look at the intensity you work at. If nothing else, you really need to build a good base, and you wont do that with short sharp training. (That has its place, I dont know if its now).

*do take what I say with a pinch of salt tho. I am still wet behind the ears and one of those people who cant go hard so I go long. ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    Glad to see you back at it. I get where youre coming from on your readjustment of goals. Just want to throw a cat among the pigeons tho. :) What Im finding with my current training, is that its not the length of the session that affects my need for recovery, it's the intensity of it. I can do many more hours now than I was doing last year, because the hr zone Im working in is kept to a particular level, not by feel or guesswork, but by measuring it. If you dont already, I would say get an accurate look at the intensity you work at. If nothing else, you really need to build a good base, and you wont do that with short sharp training. (That has its place, I dont know if its now).

*do take what I say with a pinch of salt tho. I am still wet behind the ears and one of those people who cant go hard so I go long. ;)

Yeah i see woddle working a lot on HR as well.

I'm trying to do a few double days at high intensity rather than a single slow run. Its also about changing up the runs, a fast 5k, a tough trail 10k, a LSR on a sat and fingers crossed a brick on a sunday until the evenings get longer.

The heart was pumping last night.......i know that :D

The base fitness is what i need to build, i'm ahead of where i was the last 2 years and want to keep that up and build. I intend to sit down in May and make a decision on Lost Sheep or not as its 6 weeks further on that Humbert and i start 3 weeks holidays then after it:)

My wife is training for her 1st half marathon in may so its taking over the house so i can't make any excuses about not training:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Got to agree with what Oryx says. I find it much easier to do more training when I'm keeping an eye on the HR monitor and not over reaching myself and I feel a lot stronger for the increase. Last year every session was a short sharp one and I hit a plateau pretty quickly and stayed there.

Got to agree with what Oryx says. I find it much easier to do more training when I'm keeping an eye on the HR monitor and not over reaching myself and I feel a lot stronger for the increase. Last year every session was a short sharp one and I hit a plateau pretty quickly and stayed there.

I have 2 of them:o

I must fish them out and look up what levels mine should be at

Ever done a test to work out your zones, elvis?

Ever done a test to work out your zones, elvis?

Nope,

have i more money to spend :D

• Advertisement

Nope. Only sweat. :)

Nope. Only sweat. :)

Right,

tell me all and i'll do it then:)

No spinning last night.

Idiot in laws decide to call at 7pm, kids bed time and get them all hyper. Wouldn't go to be for me and thus i missed spinning.

Was livid and told me wife to send them all a text saying do not call between 6 and 8 in the evening as we are trying to get the kids to bed.

Some people really don't give a $hit about other's life and how it works:mad:

Run at lunch today and prob a coached swimming session tonight if the coach is available.

was meant to trail run last night but my wife had no running partner and i don't like her going out alone in the dark evenings so i went out with her.

Was meant to be 5k but it was her 3rd evening this week so she could only manage 2.5. I went on and did another 2.5 by myself at a much faster pace.

1ST 2.5 - 18.5 min
    2nd 2.5 - 13.5 min

It felt good to push it and move hard for that distance and really got the heat pumping. If i'm honest the gentle 2.5 at the start was nice as well.

6k this evening at half marathon pace.

Got my turbo back and did a session last night.

It was hard as i haven't been on it in ages, only did 35 min but felt good.

I did 3 min sprint, 1 min recovery, 2 min sprint, 30 sec recovery, 2.5 min sprint, 1.5 min recovery and repeated that a few times.

I'll add a few mins a session to get over the hr mark.

Run at lunch and spin this evening.

6K in 34:40.

Happy with that as a few weeks ago i was struggling to do that in 389 min. Fitness seems to be building and i'm starting to enjoy it again.

Roll on spinning tonight.

Attempted murder........thats what spinning was last night.

Holy $hit, that was the hardest class i've done yet.

Only 5 unromantics turned up but i glad i did, 60 mins of hard hard work on the bikes. Even the person leading the class complained about jelly legs with 15 mins left.

8 min warm up including sitting sprint, then on to standing tri sprint, sitting sti sprint and resistance brought up for standing hill work. After that it was 30 sec squats and out of the to a standing recovery.

Second half involved sitting resistance working on no upper body movement, into standing sprint, sitting tri sprint, 20 sec squat repeats, sitting sprint and finally sitting tri sprint. Warm down and stretches.

It didn't help me that it was my 2nd session of the day but i need more days with double sessions. As my fitness builds so will the double sessions.

Legs are fine this morning and i plan a nice slow 6k at lunch to stretch out the legs.

Diet is good but still no movement on the scales, i've been told by my doctor to just keep working and it will come.

The Lost Sheep is on my radar but i have to talk to my resistant sat night as i need the whole month of Sept off with that, holidays and a friends wedding so i don't know if they'd let me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Only 5 unromantics turned up but i glad i did...

Just do what I did and tell the lads at work you spent an hour riding on Valentines night. Accompany it with a knowing nod and no one will ever no that you (and me) were sad enough to be cycling...

Just do what I did and tell the lads at work you spent an hour riding on Valentines night. Accompany it with a knowing nod and no one will ever no that you (and me) were sad enough to be cycling...

My wife did a turbo session so........................

• Advertisement

Just a little over 5K at lunch in 28:40. I could have gone faster but held it back and it felt good.

Didn't think i'd have anything in my legs after the last two days but i had lots left in the tank when i was finished.

My chest is a lot better which and thats really really helping.

Turbo tomorrow evening watching the Utd match on............3E:(

Advertisement