Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Iron Elvis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Turbo session last night.

I was meant to use it as a slow recovery session in front of the tv but did a few sprints and some high gear resistance work as well.

I built it to 40 min and legs felt good afterwards.

I'll rest today after 5 sessions in 4 days and run tomorrow morning. I'll do between 13 and 16 k at a slow pace.

If sunday is awful it will be the turbo and if its nice i'll get the bike out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Just a little over 5K at lunch in 28:40. I could have gone faster but held it back and it felt good.

Didn't think i'd have anything in my legs after the last two days but i had lots left in the tank when i was finished.

My chest is a lot better which and thats really really helping.

Turbo tomorrow evening watching the Utd match on............3E:(

Can you imagine saying that a year ago?
    I would have been like "5k done in 30 mins. Absolutely wrecked, 2 rest days planned" :D

Can you imagine saying that a year ago?
    I would have been like "5k done in 30 mins. Absolutely wrecked, 2 rest days planned" :D

That would have been in April 2010 before i got the orthtics...........then running two days in a row was a dream:(

But time wise your right about this time last year.

But now its fine. I got 6 sessions in 5 days last week and happy with how i'm coming along.

I rested on Friday and downed a nice bottle of red on Fri night:o

I did my LSR on Saurday. I was hoping to do 14 to 16 but ended up doing 13k.

At 2k i got the toilet urge but kept going, as i went on it got worse and i finally made it to 13k before i had to give up and get into the house:D

Arse wasn't great but the body was and i could have done more than 13k if it wasn't for that ! Average pace of 6:13 per km and without the problems i think a sub 6 per km was well within me.

Over all happy with last week as i said above as i got 6 sessions done in 5 days and body was in good condition at the end of it and actually had to hold back doing something on Fri and get some energy back in the body.

I'm going to try and match last week.

Mon - Turbo
    Tues - 6k run at lunch & spinning in the evening
    Wen - 6k run at lunch
    Thurs - Turbo
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 15 to 17k LSR
    Sun - Rest

Only to change to that could be a gentle bike ride on sunday if the weather is nice.

Really good turbo session last night.

5 min warm up
    40 min core
    3 min warm down

I'm trying to remember what i did but this a rough lay out

These sprints where half on the bars and half in the tri position.

4 min sprint
    1 min rec
    3 min sprint
    1 min rec
    2 min sprint
    1 min rec
    2 min sprint
    1 min rec

i considered that to be the 1st set and heart was pumping after it.

Next i went up through the gear until it was hard to get the pedal around. I sat up with no hands on the bar and used leg and stomach with no upper body movement to push the pedals.

2 min resistance
    30 sec recovery
    2 min resistance
    30 sec recovery

Final set was more sprints all in the tri position.

4 min sprint
    1 min rec
    3.5 min sprint
    1 min rec
    3 min sprint
    1 min rec
    2.5 min sprint
    30 sec rec
    2 min sprint
    30 sec rec
    1.5 min sprint
    30 sec rec
    1 min sprint
    30 sec rec
    2 min sprint

Then it was down though the gears for a simple 3 min warm down.

I really believe i'm miles ahead of where i was this time last year and building. New local pool membership next week so i'll be in it 3 times a week building technique and fitness.

6K run at lunch today at half marathon pace and then spinning this evening with my club which should be fun as i've done the music for it:cool:

• Advertisement

Run at lunch yesterday and the legs were heavy. A lot of it was on concrete and my lower legs really felt it. I did 5.6k at 5:51 per km and i know i had more in me but didn't want to push it at all.

I've really stepped up my training and legs are starting to feel it now with 6 tough sessions in 5 days.

Spinning last night and we spent an hr working on ours quads ( well thats what i was told )

There was a lot of work with high resistance, working one leg at a time without the holding the bars, standing tri, sitting tri, standing reverse and a standing building up the resistance until you can just about turn over the pedals.

Overall a tough class and legs were sore afterwards. As i said above my legs are starting to get tired and i have taken a big step up in the last few weeks.

I'm due to run at lunch but i might rest or do a very very slow recovery 5k.

5k at lunch done at a slow pace of 6:19 per km. I tried to stick mainly to tarmac and it was much better than yesterday. Did some extra stretching and feel fine now.

Nothing on tonight only the couch:)

Turbo tomorrow evening watching that match and i hope to so something the same as monday and add another 5 min to it.

Finally had small movement in the scales and i just have to keep this level of and the weight will start to shift again.

No turbo on Thursday as life got in the way so it and yesterday were rest.

I got the bike out and did 47k at average 28km per hr. Happy enough with that for Feb as i couldn't have done that in May of last year so i'm well ahead.

Left groin sore now and its down to the saddle or cleet on my shoe. I'll have a look over the coming days as it only happens on cycles over 30k.

Tomorrow is my LSR, 15k :)

No LSR, groin was still sore and didn't want to risk it.

Its feeling better now so i'll get out this evening and do maybe 7k.

I've been thinking of new shoes and peddles so i think now is the time to do it as its the cleets that's causing the groin prob as the cleet is slightly off and its making my leg twist a tiny bit but over almost 2 hrs in that positon it causes pain when i get off the bike. Really its anything over 30k, nothing at 20k for a sprint tri or spinning class.

This week is looking like.

Mon run 7k
    tues run 5k and spinning in the evening
    Wen run 10k
    Thurs Turbo
    Fri rest
    Sat LSR 16 to 17k
    Sun 30k slow cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've been thinking of new shoes and peddles so i think now is the time to do it as its the cleets that's causing the groin prob as the cleet is slightly off and its making my leg twist a tiny bit but over almost 2 hrs in that positon it causes pain when i get off the bike. Really its anything over 30k, nothing at 20k for a sprint tri or spinning class.

Mon run 7k
    Wen run 10k
    Thurs Turbo
    Fri rest
    Sat LSR 16 to 17k
    Sun 30k slow cycle

Have you tried replacing or re-aligning the cleat? There's usually a bit of play around the bolts.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Have you tried replacing or re-aligning the cleat? There's usually a bit of play around the bolts.

Thats what i intend to do this evening but i plan on changing the shoes and pedals as a long term thing as i want http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-...l-road-pedals/ and currently use
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/

Mon run 7k
    Wen run 10k
    Thurs Turbo
    Fri rest
    Sat LSR 16 to 17k
    Sun 30k slow cycle

where's the swimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thats what i intend to do this evening but i plan on changing the shoes and pedals as a long term thing as i want http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-...l-road-pedals/ and currently use
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/

I'm using Look Keo's, similar shape to the SPD-SLs but they have a rubber surround on the cleat to make them a bit less slippy when walking around.

The rubber does get damaged if you do too much walking in them though.

where's the swimming?

Changing Gum membership this week so i'll be back in the local pool as the one in dublin just wasn't working out. I'll hit it in the evening when i get the kids to bed. Running at lunch suits me and i can turbo the odd morning as well.

Changing Gum membership this week so i'll be back in the local pool as the one in dublin just wasn't working out. I'll hit it in the evening when i get the kids to bed. Running at lunch suits me and i can turbo the odd morning as well.

You were using the markievicz right? What happened pool too busy or life just getting in the way?

You were using the markievicz right? What happened pool too busy or life just getting in the way?

Pool was way too busy in the morning and hard to get in what i want at lunch. Evenings didn't suit as i want to get home to help out with the kids and when they go to bed i can do my workouts.

Pool was way too busy in the morning and hard to get in what i want at lunch. Evenings didn't suit as i want to get home to help out with the kids and when they go to bed i can do my workouts.

That's difficult alright. The pool in my gym is empty almost all the time. But as it's only 18m I never bother swimming in it and pay extra for the NAC.

No run last night as i spent most of it on the toliet:o

5k at lunch today ( slow 6:12 per km ) and groin felt ok but a bit tight at the end so i'm not going to risk it with a tough spinning class tonight.

I'll stick to running this week.

Plans change and i'll look at 8k at lunch tomorrow.

Last week went well and i had a big smile on my face on Friday at about 14:30.

I went out on my lunch break ( took a long one ) and did 16k at 6:22 per km. Really happy with that pace and even more with that fact that i can now go out and run 16k on my lunch break:D It was part of a 20hr day and i had to go and gig after my normal day in work.

I'm still looking at the problem with my left groin when cycling and am going to do a long turbo session on Thursday evening with my orthotic in my cycle shoes and if that solves it then i'll be happy. If not it will time to look at cleats on my shoes.

I'm defering Conna so i can do the full next yr, all the traveling to Galway for the half is just a pain in my bottom.

Main focuses now is to keep running ticking over, build cycling ( while solving the groin issue ) and most important get in the pool.

My wife is doing her 1st tri in April so the bug is taking over the family.

Tues - Spinning
    Wen - 6k at pace
    Thurs - Turbo ( for groin )
    Fri - 16k run if groin is ok
    Sat - rest
    Sun - Club duathlon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Have you had a proper bike fit? Might be your saddle being too high, that or pushing too big a gear. Any idea of your cadence?

Ya got a bike fit done and the problem was there with my previous bike ( But i've only really started longer distances with this bike ).

So for me the problem could be

Shorter left leg ?
    Cleat on my shoe off slightly ?

I feel comfortable in the gear i'm in and pushing over the pedals isn't a problem, it only seems to happen on distances over 40k :confused:

I plan to do a 90 min turbo tomorrow and see how it is.

I'm fine the day after but it would hinder Oylmpic tri and upwards.

Really good spinning class tuesday night and was wrecked afterwards.

I reached a kind of milestone birthday yesterday and spent a lot of the class on Tuesday thinking of how much training i've done and how far i've coming fitness wise.

I remember my 1st spinning class i was is bits after 10 min and couldn't walk after it:D

I've also gone from not being able to run 500m to running 16k on my lunch break

BUT

There hasn't been much movement in the scales. No matter what i've done the weight just hasn't shifted. I've looked at others doing the same as me and its working for them with amazing results ( in weight and time )

So i sat there Tuesday evening thinking that my weight loss is a lot like the spinning class, a lot of work but the bike is still in the same place it was.

I know i've had some medical issues that i've sorted and that my doc is very happy with.

I've come to the conclusion i need to be even stricter with my diet, out with bread, out with booze ( not that i drink much anyway ) and most important earlier to bed as the kids have us up at all hours and the next day i'm wrecked.

Oh cleat on left shoe was slightly off so moved it and long turbo tonight to test it while watching the match.

16K run tomorrow after job 1 before i head to job 2.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you eat much after training? Thats my 'bad' time because Im usually starving and just want to gorge on carbs. :)

And Happy Birthday!

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you eat much after training? Thats my 'bad' time because Im usually starving and just want to gorge on carbs. :)

And Happy Birthday!

Why thank you:)

My worst time is in the evening and its mainly boredom. I plan to hit the pool now in the evenings so that will fill that gap.

Sunday evening is the worst after working all weekend its my main downtime and i always try to justify a bottle of red and some crisps, which leads to more munchies:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Did someone say birthday??? Happy Birthday!!!!! :)

Thanks, i hit 35 yesterday............half way to medical card ( i should appy now to get it on time )

I've applied for a new job closer to home and if i get it i think i want to do a IM before i'm 40. But that will only be possilbe if i get a job closer to home as it will free up about 20 hrs a week for me.

I had to sit down and work out what i want to do race wise this year and what my main focuses should be. The focus races with specific goals are in bold.

Right here is the list so far, can’t see it changing much really.

Aims and goals for this year are.

Finish open water tri
    Finish Olympic tri
    Sub 40 min 8k
    Sub 2hr half marathon
    PB DCM

March 25th 60k Charity Cycle Laois
    April 6th 8k in Portarlington
    April 29th 100k Charity Cycle Laois
    May 6th Limerick Half marathon
    May 27th Fingal Sprint Tri Dublin
    June 19th Docklands 8k Dublin
    July 8th Carrick on Suir Sprint Tri Tipperary
    Aug 5th Brian Boru Olympic Tri Clare
    Aug 12th Midlands half Laois
    Oct 7th ¾ Marathon
    Oct 29th DCM

There are other club races in there that I won’t list. Any feedback would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I don't know if the Olympic Brian Boru run route is the same as the sprint but the sprint is basically up the side of a mountain, one of the hardest runs i ever did. I wouldn't be planning a pb in a 1/2 Marathon the following week

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    I don't know if the Olympic Brian Boru run route is the same as the sprint but the sprint is basically up the side of a mountain, one of the hardest runs i ever did. I wouldn't be planning a pb in a 1/2 Marathon the following week

Ah good to know, perhaps moving the half marathon to Waterford in Dec might be a better option !

Advertisement