Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Iron Elvis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

There is also another half marathon on in June in Waterford its on the same course as the marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

There is also another half marathon on in June in Waterford its on the same course as the marathon

Don't think i'll be ready on June to run a PB. I need to get more weight off and work on interval work.

Nothing today or last night as i feel a bit rough. Stuffed up and better to just take the 2 day hit and be better for it.

I plan to do some interval work tomorrow, i'm thinking of

200 on
    200 rest
    400 on
    200 rest

I hope to do that for maybe 6k and see how it goes. This is all new to me.

Sunday i'm helping out at a club duathlon and hope to get out on the bike or do a turbo.

Updated races with the PB half marathon moved to Longford on Aug 26th, it suits as its where i'm from and i have a place to kip the night before ( well from 3:30 am until 8 anyway )

March 25th 60k Charity Cycle Laois
    April 6th 8k in Portarlington
    April 29th 100k Charity Cycle Laois
    May 6th Limerick Half marathon
    May 27th Fingal Sprint Tri Dublin
    June 19th Docklands 8k Dublin
    July 8th Carrick on Suir Sprint Tri Tipperary
    Aug 5th Brian Boru Olympic Tri Clare
    Aug 26th Longford Half Marathon
    Oct 7th ¾ Marathon
    Oct 29th DCM

The above has been changed with work etc. Its been a bad few weeks i've been so busy with gigs and so tired that i've got little done BUT diet is finally starting to work and weight is coming down:)

Anyway revised list of races :

March 25th 60k Charity Cycle Laois
    April 6th 8k in Portarlington
    April 29th 100k Charity Cycle Laois
    May 6th Limerick Half marathon
    May 27th Swim Athy
    June 19th Docklands 8k Dublin
    July 8th Carrick on Suir Sprint Tri Tipperary
    Aug 5th 795 sprint
    Aug 26th Longford Half Marathon
    Oct 7th ¾ Marathon
    Oct 29th DCM

I got a slight enjury on Sat working at a race and i think i have a cracked rib. Running is a no go at the moment but cycling is fine. I have to try the pool tonight.

• Advertisement

Doc confirmed yesterday that i have a broken rib.

So 6 to 8 weeks healing time. I'm on rather strong pain killers so i can cycle and swim at the moment. I'll hold off running for a week or so but as long as its not painful i can do as i wish.

Club test tri on April 14 so fingers crossed i can do it with Limerick half marathon on May 6th:(

Might i add this is the stupidest injury ever, putting a speaker on the roof on my van:o

I looooooooooooooooove pain killers.

Got out on the bike yesterday evening for a short, quick cycle with a good hill on it. 18.5k in 37min so hitting that 2 min per km so happy enough as it had a decent size hill on it.

I got back and felt really good so threw on my runners and headed out for a short run just to get the legs used to that move from saddle to road. I did 2.5k at 5:36 per km. Went ok with only slight discomfort towards the end of it.

Out again this evening and i'll do about 21k with that hill twice.

Its good to know with this injury i can still work out.

Swim in the morning.

Lucky i deferred connamarathon:o

Back with a bang today with two short sessions.

5k run in 27:29, roughly 5:30km pace. Its my fastest this year and on the streets of dublin so on an open course it could have been faster. I'm happy with that and know with some interval training i can get that down and do a PB.

Back in the pool this evening and only did 300m but worked on my breathing so it was more about doing what i've been told in the correct manner. i'm going to build 100m a week and focus on my breathing and head position. Along the way my fitness will build.

Tomorrow is a slow 6k at lunch and 300m swim again in the evening.

Also happy the rib is holding up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

How's the rib? Still painful?

No its a lot better and i'm only taking one painkiller a day now, i don't actually need them but its to avoid fluid on my lung.

Its knoked me back a few weeks but sure what can ya do.

You all ready for the May bank holiday ????

• Advertisement

Are you doing the Emo 8k on Friday. If so might see you there.

Are you doing the Emo 8k on Friday. If so might see you there.

Hey only seeing this now. I wasn't at it. My wife did it and said it was a great race over 350 took part !

What an awful few weeks

Before Paddys i was too busy to even look at trying to train, i almost get that out of the way and i break my rib and almost 2 weeks off with that. I just get back and then i get a chest/throat infection and am laid low again:(

Rib is fine and flem is gone:D so back at it today. I'll try a gentle 5k at lunch and swim tonight.

The next while is all about getting over the finish line in the Limerick half ( doing it slow with mates as its their 1st ) and really working on my swimming in the evenings.

The evening swims will help as the pool is quiet and it stops me from eating rubbish and focusing on my diet again is a big area.

My wife joined the local tri club as well so with 2 of us training its going to be harder but i hope to a lot of my running early morning or at lunch which will leave the evenings for her before i got swimming at 8:30.

Hey only seeing this now. I wasn't at it. My wife did it and said it was a great race over 350 took part !

Did it also was okay the surface was not to my preference :D but what can you do. Great turnout for a Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

What an awful few weeks

Before Paddys i was too busy to even look at trying to train, i almost get that out of the way and i break my rib and almost 2 weeks off with that. I just get back and then i get a chest/throat infection and am laid low again:(

Rib is fine and flem is gone:D so back at it today. I'll try a gentle 5k at lunch and swim tonight.

The next while is all about getting over the finish line in the Limerick half ( doing it slow with mates as its their 1st ) and really working on my swimming in the evenings.

The evening swims will help as the pool is quiet and it stops me from eating rubbish and focusing on my diet again is a big area.

My wife joined the local tri club as well so with 2 of us training its going to be harder but i hope to a lot of my running early morning or at lunch which will leave the evenings for her before i got swimming at 8:30.

Fitting in training is going to be a bit trickier for you alright. If you have showers in work and use public transport you could always get off a few stops earlier and run the rest of the way in, or run home from a few stops earlier? Just a suggestion, it allows me to get runs in when otherwise I don't have time (although not done it for a while).

Fitting in training is going to be a bit trickier for you alright. If you have showers in work and use public transport you could always get off a few stops earlier and run the rest of the way in, or run home from a few stops earlier? Just a suggestion, it allows me to get runs in when otherwise I don't have time (although not done it for a while).

I have showers in work, thus the running at lunch time and before work if i can.

The cycling is the problem, i can't do it in the morning and i can in the evening if needs be so i might do it one evening a week by getting off the train earlier.

Kind of tried my 1st interval session last night in the middle of a 6k run

500m warm up
    1.5k at 5.25 min/km
    200m on - 200 off x5 for 2k
    1.5k at 5.75 min/km
    500m warm down

It was an after thought so i just did 200m flat out, 200m recovery.

The 200 on/off suits me for the moment and i've been advised to do a longer warm up.

Next week i'll do

1k warm up
    5 sets of 200/200
    1k good pace
    2 sets 250/250
    1k warm down

and that will be my 6k.

Oh i almost died/had a stroke/heart attack/got sick at the end of 5th set.

BUT i can see how it will help my speed in shorter races.

Swimming tonight.
    5k slow tomorrow
    17K LSR on sunday

Lovely quiet swim friday evening and my breathing is getting better. I know i have a lot of work to do in the pool but i am starting to get a feel for it and actually enjoying it.

No run yesterday, i was busy buying my wife a new bike and using my christmas present to buy her new runners..........what a husband:cool:

17.5k LSR this morning with the two lads i'm doing the Limerick half with so it was a slower pace than i'd do but i'm happy to get out and do a nice run with friends and have a laugh.

It was 2:02 for the 17.5k and i felt great after it, lots left in the legs and thats good when you think it was only my 5th run in 5 weeks.

Tomorrow i'm back in the pool with an interval session Tuesday morning and swim tuesday night. I'll scope out the rest of the week later.

Legs are a little sore today but thats down to my limited running in the last few weeks.

I really enjoyed my run yesterday and looking forward to a nice swim in the pool tonight.

The guys i'm doing the half marathon with in May have mentioned Brussels full marathon on Oct 7th and that seems like a good goal instead of Dublin and might allow something else at the end of Nov that i want to do but not mention just yet:)

Decision made, Brussels on Oct 7th will be my full marathon this year.

So road races for a PB

Docklands 5k May 22
    Docklands 8k June 18
    Longford Half Marathon Aug 26
    Brussels Marathon Oct 7

There will be another race after that but its staying private for the moment.

• Advertisement

Nice on Elvis. Is it a flat course.

Intrigued to know what the other race is.

Nice on Elvis. Is it a flat course.

Intrigued to know what the other race is.

Good to hear, there is a 5 hr limit on it so i need to run a PB by 20 min to get in. I'm confident i can do it with less weight and more training.

The other race won't get a mention until late summer i'd say:)

Oh interval session at lunch................should be, eh, eh, eh fun:o

Just to add that re the name of my log................i will be doing a half iron early next year. Swimming just isn't there yet so have to be honest with myself and do it when swimming is up to scratch and weight is down more so i can do justice to the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Decision made, Brussels on Oct 7th will be my full marathon this year.

So road races for a PB

Docklands 5k May 22
    Docklands 8k June 18
    Longford Half Marathon Aug 26
    Brussels Marathon Oct 7

There will be another race after that but its staying private for the moment.

Might I suggest the Na Fianna AC Bob Heffernan 5K in Johnstonbridge on 22nd May instead. Might be closer to home for you.

Might I suggest the Na Fianna AC Bob Heffernan 5K in Johnstonbridge on 22nd May instead. Might be closer to home for you.

Yeah that might suit, the 8pm time looks good and i'd rather support a club than a event anyway.

Really good interval session at lunch.

700m warm up and stretchs
    1.4k at 5:40 per km
    250 on/off X 5 at 3:40 and 7:20
    1.8K warm down at roughly 5:50 per km.

Sets are done on a straight piece of tarmac thats about 520M so its up and down.

I recovered a lot quicker that i thought i would and looking down to see 3:30 pace on the garmin was shocking:) and do be able to do my recovery at not far off my marathon pace last year really made me smile.

Pace on the warm down was good and overall a great session and i intend to increase the sets to ten in the next while and then eventually try 500M on/off as my fitness builds.

Crazy few days ahead so i'll try to get done what i can.

This evening i'm getting all my gear ready for the weekand as i have to work at Tri Laois and i have a wedding fri night as well. So far my late week and weekend looks like this.

Thursday - work
    Thursday evening - packing gear for fri night
    Fri - work in dublin
    Fri night - full night wedding in dublin
    Sat morning - 6am start to get gear in the van for Tri Laois
    Sat - Tri Laois
    Sat afternoon - Disco nap
    Sat night - Normal venue gig in dublin
    Sunday - 19k LSR

Add into that my wife is doing tri Laois and its my daughters 1st birthday on friday so if i get a run at lunch on thurs or fri i'll be lucky:o

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Just to add that re the name of my log................i will be doing a half iron early next year. Swimming just isn't there yet so have to be honest with myself and do it when swimming is up to scratch and weight is down more so i can do justice to the race.

Plan on changing my plans from this year to early next year also, Where are you thinking. TRI AN Mhi is in May so that could suit. Would be greta to go away if costs where cheap.

jester1980 wrote: »
    Plan on changing my plans from this year to early next year also, Where are you thinking. TRI AN Mhi is in May so that could suit. Would be greta to go away if costs where cheap.

Well i have conna put of until 2013 so it would suit to do the half and build towards it with it only being about 4 weeks later.

Also its a pretty local race, the idea of dragging the bike abroad would do my head in.........but that could change.

• Advertisement

Fresh as a daisy today, legs feel great after yesterday !

Swim tonight and steam room for my chest.

Week just got even busier as i now have a meeting tomorrow night about Tri Laois so i'll have to run at lunch.

Advertisement