Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Iron Elvis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

11.5k run done in 63:xx, 5:33 km pace. Very happy with that and i think my running is coming along nicely.

I think i'm going to move my standard run up fro 6k to 10k. Looking to do 10k twice a week and do an LSR at the weekend for June. In July i'll have to look at a longer brick session instead of an LSR.

I wore my new tri suit and its so much more comfortable than my club one, i think i'll be doing a lot of my weekend workouts in it from now on !

Long cycle in the morning !

No cycle so far today. The kids had a dose yesterday and passed it on to me. I spent half my gig last night holding my butt cheeks together:D

Still the same this morning and nothing in the body at all. To add to that i have hay fever and couldn't see straight with puffed up eyes.

I'm getting fluids and solids back in my now and feeling a little better. If i can grab a quick spin later i will or a turbo.

I think i'll have to get home early tomorrow and get out on the bike:o

Tough day yesterday on a personal level, i spent most of it in a daze and there was more chance of me winning the 100m at the olympics than training:(

I bit the bullet this morning and bought myself a wetsuit so open water here i come.......eventually;)

Still not myself so might grab a quick swim this evening or up in the morning 1st thing to use the new pull buoy i bought as well along with the hand paddles.

Cycle early tomorrow evening when i get in.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck with the open water! Congrats on the new suit. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Good luck with the open water! Congrats on the new suit. :)

why thank you !

• Advertisement

Got up off my backside and went out on the club cycle this evening which involved a time trial.

Out to the start was 10k, i kept to the front of the group at about 33k pace.

1st split was 8k with smallish hills and very little wind.........13:34, happy enough with that and spent 90% of it on the aero bars. I started 6th and finished 1st with 30 sec between those starting.

We turned around and went back 3k and started a 5k split. Legs felt a little heavy but i pushed it and did it in 8:38. Once again i started 6th and finished 3rd, almost 2nd but my club mate kept her head down and stayed ahead of me.

Once all were together we headed back and it was another 10k and i stayed to the front. The rain came down and i pushed it to get back.

Overall 36k and i did most of it at a really good pace, happy with it and glad i went out.

Swim early after work tomorrow and turbo session ( which is really helping me on the shorter distances )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Got up off my backside and went out on the club cycle this evening which involved a time trial.

Out to the start was 10k, i kept to the front of the group at about 33k pace.

1st split was 8k with smallish hills and very little wind.........13:34, happy enough with that and spent 90% of it on the aero bars. I started 6th and finished 1st with 30 sec between those starting.

We turned around and went back 3k and started a 5k split. Legs felt a little heavy but i pushed it and did it in 8:38. Once again i started 6th and finished 3rd, almost 2nd but my club mate kept her head down and stayed ahead of me.

Once all were together we headed back and it was another 10k and i stayed to the front. The rain came down and i pushed it to get back.

Overall 36k and i did most of it at a really good pace, happy with it and glad i went out.

Swim early after work tomorrow and turbo session ( which is really helping me on the shorter distances )

You were chicked!:eek:

:D

I'll get my revenge when my Fuji arrives:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

I'll get my revenge when my Fuji arrives:cool:
    As long as she doesn't buy a fuji too! Congrats on the new wetsuit!

big mce wrote: »
    As long as she doesn't buy a fuji too! Congrats on the new wetsuit!

She has the Cosmic wheels i'm getting on her road bike................so that was an advantage:D

• Advertisement

Swim this evening after work and for the 1st time in a long time.........i really enjoyed every sec of it:)

Pool is only 18m but i don't care once the workout is good and i leave the pool feeling positive.

Warm up was 10 lengths and i focused on stroke, body position and my leg kicks. This went well and i was breathing well.

Then i decided to do 41 lengths (738m) timed ( i'll do this once a week to see progressing ) , tonight it was 25:06 and i wasn't in bits after it.

Moved then to some pull buoy work and did 10 lengths with that and a faster pace that my normal front crawl........if thats what it like to wear a wetsuit i'll be well happy with that.

I then tried to go non stop for as long as i could and i got to 6 lengths......not great but its a 600% improvement:D

I warmed down with some more slow pull buoy and body position work.

Over all a really good session and for the 1st time in 2012 i'm feeling positive about my swimming.

Swim again in the morning and i'm going to do

Warm up ( position, stroke, leg kick )
    Pull buoy
    Trying to do 6 to 8 length sets with 30 see recovery......i'll see how many can i manage
    Hand paddle workout
    Leg only work
    warm down ( position, stroke, leg kick )

Luncht time 10k at a slow pace just to stretch out the legs and keep the bodty ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Your 18m pool is essentially the same length as my 20 yard pool, and it serves me well too. I love the pull buoy and think it's one of the best things you can do for distance swimming, especially if you will be wearing a wet suit because you will basically be letting your legs float (exaggerating a bit for effect here...but...) while your upper body muscles you through the water. You'll love the wetsuit - you'll stay high in the water with no effort and it will make you more hydro-dynamic to help you glide. Your time should be faster wearing a wetsuit - bonus!!! :D Good work to you!!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Your 18m pool is essentially the same length as my 20 yard pool, and it serves me well too. I love the pull buoy and think it's one of the best things you can do for distance swimming, especially if you will be wearing a wet suit because you will basically be letting your legs float (exaggerating a bit for effect here...but...) while your upper body muscles you through the water. You'll love the wetsuit - you'll stay high in the water with no effort and it will make you more hydro-dynamic to help you glide. Your time should be faster wearing a wetsuit - bonus!!! :D Good work to you!!

I really enjoyed using the pull buoy tonight, i used it last year and hated it but i think my stoke wasn't right at all which didn't help.

If using the pull buoy is anything like the wetsuit, me likey:D

Swim this morning and as usual i was tight for time so i did the following

Warm up 10 lengths ( 180m )

Pull buoy 10 lengths ( 180 m )

Floats leg kicks 2 lengths ( 36m )

Hand Paddles 10 Lengths ( 180 m )

Warm down 5 Lengths ( 90m )

A total of 666m:D

Not a bad session and it once again felt more natural that it has in a long time.

10k at lunch.

Since 2009 i've focused mainly on running long as it 1/2 or full marathon. With that i've done little or no speed work and my 5 and 10k times are awful:o

I decided to do 10k at lunch today split into two seperate 5k splits.

1st 5k was done in 27:34 which was ok when you think of running Dublin with traffic, the odd stop and that.

I stopped and walked for about 200m and headed back on the same 5 route.

2nd 5k was in 26:30 and i found it tough at times but kept up the pace as well as i could and pushed it hard for the final 500m.

So the total was 54:04 which i'm happy enough with and the two splits weren't bad one their own.

Off to work this evening so no training or football.

Plan for tomorrow is a slow 5k run at lunch and long swim session in the evening focusing on building non stop distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

10k at lunch.

Since 2009 i've focused mainly on running long as it 1/2 or full marathon. With that i've done little or no speed work and my 5 and 10k times are awful:o

I decided to do 10k at lunch today split into two seperate 5k splits.

1st 5k was done in 27:34 which was ok when you think of running Dublin with traffic, the odd stop and that.

I stopped and walked for about 200m and headed back on the same 5 route.

2nd 5k was in 26:30 and i found it tough at times but kept up the pace as well as i could and pushed it hard for the final 500m.

So the total was 54:04 which i'm happy enough with and the two splits weren't bad one their own.

Off to work this evening so no training or football.

Plan for tomorrow is a slow 5k run at lunch and long swim session in the evening focusing on building non stop distance.

Are you doing much speed work Elvis? My 5km and 10km times were pretty poor and in reality still are but they improved hugely when I started doing speed work as part of the P&D 55mpw plan for Conn.

I got my 5km training PB down to 21mins approx, 10km training pb to 43ish and my HIM race pb down to 1.34. I know the increased mileage in training was important but I think the various speed work sessions in that plan made a huge difference. They cam be tough but the big advantage I found was that I could do a decent speed session in less than an hr over lunchtime in work.

Stuff like:
    4-6 miles @ HIM race pace (or as close as)
    1km intervals @ 5km race pace with approx. 500m recovery x 5
    At least one session of strides per week - 100m + 60m recovery x 8-10 reps
    Marathon pace runs

Oh and I'm firmly convinced that speed work helps you loose more weight :D

griffin100 wrote: »
    Are you doing much speed work Elvis? My 5km and 10km times were pretty poor and in reality still are but they improved hugely when I started doing speed work as part of the P&D 55mpw plan for Conn.

I got my 5km training PB down to 21mins approx, 10km training pb to 43ish and my HIM race pb down to 1.34. I know the increased mileage in training was important but I think the various speed work sessions in that plan made a huge difference. They cam be tough but the big advantage I found was that I could do a decent speed session in less than an hr over lunchtime in work.

Stuff like:
    4-6 miles @ HIM race pace (or as close as)
    1km intervals @ 5km race pace with approx. 500m recovery x 5
    At least one session of strides per week - 100m + 60m recovery x 8-10 reps
    Marathon pace runs

Oh and I'm firmly convinced that speed work helps you loose more weight :D

None really, i've done a few inverval session but starting it properly this week.

I really want to get my 5k and 10k times down, they are beyond awful

5k- 25:11
    10k - 55:11

I plan to do the 1k intervals once a week and that 10k split. Add to that an LSR at the weekend to keep building my 1/2 marathon pace for the losr sheep.

Meh weekend.

Sat i was working all day and night so nothing done. Sunday, fathers day, if i had even mentioned doing anything i think i could be dead now:D

Swim last night, tough time at the moment personally so just got in and swam. Took 20 lengths to even get a feel for it but it can and i pushed through as hard as i could.

Total of 1150 in the end and its another session done.

Looks like swim again this evening if i can but might not be in the mood at all.

Meh weekend.

Sat i was working all day and night so nothing done. Sunday, fathers day, if i had even mentioned doing anything i think i could be dead now:D

Swim last night, tough time at the moment personally so just got in and swam. Took 20 lengths to even get a feel for it but it can and i pushed through as hard as i could.

Total of 1150 in the end and its another session done.

Looks like swim again this evening if i can but might not be in the mood at all.

That's the important thing. It's another session done and more in the bank so to speak. I'm not an advocate of training for trainings sake but I think with swimming time in the water is important.

That's the important thing. It's another session done and more in the bank so to speak. I'm not an advocate of training for trainings sake but I think with swimming time in the water is important.

Cheers,

Once i got the feel i did focus and stroke is getting a lot better. Its just fitness in the water now and stamina to go longer.

• Advertisement

As i've been saying i've been having a tough time personally in the last week or two.

We've just found out my mum has cancer and its still being confirmed all the details of where it is etc so trying to focus on training is very hard. I know she has some really tough times ahead and honestly its all that keeps me going during my training. If she can cope with all that is ahead i can cope with a few lengths of a pool or 100k on a bike.

Add to that i'm in the process of trying to get a new job closer to home. I have my interview tomorrow and my head isn't in the best place possible at the moment.

All i can do is keep it up one day at a time and hope that karma is good to me.

On a positive note i had a nice chat with Gerry Duffy this morning and it has cheered me up and given me some motivation to continue with my training.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sometimes, life just sucks. Sorry to hear about your mum. Nothing else I can say except that everyone here will be thinkin of ya, and wishing your mum the best. I hope whatever news you get is positive.

If I could bottle good karma and send it to you I would. God knows you deserve some.

Oh, and good luck with the job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oryx wrote: »
    Sometimes, life just sucks. Sorry to hear about your mum. Nothing else I can say except that everyone here will be thinkin of ya, and wishing your mum the best. I hope whatever news you get is positive.

If I could bottle good karma and send it to you I would. God knows you deserve some.

Oh, and good luck with the job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks xxxx

Good luck man!

My mums had cancer twice now so I know what you are going through and it is not nice. I guess it goes back to what has been said before. Sometimes there's more important things in life than Triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I've way too much experience in the cancer department, so I'll just say I'm wishing you all the best and for you to keep a positive attitude. Life throws us things that suck sometimes, but you accept them, deal with them, and move forward in the most constructive fashion possible. If you need anything at all, feel free to ask. Good karma from across the pond heading your way. :)

44 lengths doen tonight for a total of just under 800m.

10 warm up and basic movement in the pool
    10 pull buoy working on stroke and breathing
    10 on speed and not stopping
    10 pull buoy on speed, stroke and breathing
    4 to warm down

an ok session but breathing and stroke and really coming along and its the bul buoy thats bringing me along.

Swim again in the morning before work and cycle tomorrow evening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As i've been saying i've been having a tough time personally in the last week or two.

We've just found out my mum has cancer and its still being confirmed all the details of where it is etc so trying to focus on training is very hard. I know she has some really tough times ahead and honestly its all that keeps me going during my training. If she can cope with all that is ahead i can cope with a few lengths of a pool or 100k on a bike.

Add to that i'm in the process of trying to get a new job closer to home. I have my interview tomorrow and my head isn't in the best place possible at the moment.

All i can do is keep it up one day at a time and hope that karma is good to me.

On a positive note i had a nice chat with Gerry Duffy this morning and it has cheered me up and given me some motivation to continue with my training.

Sorry to hear about your mum EJ. My aunts cancer battle was my motivation behind starting all this. 5 years later every crazy thing I do is still dedicated to her. Her memory is what picks my feet and chin up when the going gets tough. Training was the one of the main things that got me through my own recent problems too.

Hope the outcome is as good for her as it was for me.

Good luck in the interview.

Same swim set agian this morning.

44 lengths doen tonight for a total of just under 800m.

10 warm up and basic movement in the pool
    10 pull buoy working on stroke and breathing
    10 on speed and not stopping
    10 pull buoy on speed, stroke and breathing
    4 to warm down

Arms are a little sore and weary now after 3 days in a row but its what i have to get used to really.

Interview in 2 hrs and then home for a long hilly cycle, i need to get my bum on the saddle and up the mountains to prepare for Lost Sheep. A few hours by myself might clear my head a bit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Sorry to hear about your mum Elvis, I wish her a speedy recovery please god.

Best of luck in the interview, oh and don't mention your in training for a HIM or you'll never get the job!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Sorry to hear the bad news Elvis. It's great to have your training to focus on at times like this, but be sure to give yourself a break too when you really need it.

Hope the interview went well.

Advertisement