Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Iron Elvis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

jester1980 wrote: »
    Is that cycle with your TRI club?

Need to start putting mileage in like that but hate going on my own.

Ya they go out on Tues, Sat and Sun.

Sunday doesn't normally suit me with work but i'm home at 01:30 and the cycle is at 9 so its almost a normal night sleep for me.

Brick sessions start on a Thursday but i'll only get to do that if i have my swim session to do.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You need hot water to run???? Stay sweaty, I say. Its good for the complexion!

Oryx wrote: »
    You need hot water to run???? Stay sweaty, I say. Its good for the complexion!

The job of BO guy in the office is already taken:D

A few lovely days off with the kids. Time to relax, recharge and think of how i'm going to get to the end of the Lost Sheep.

My training starts tomorrow and i know i have a lot of hard work ahead of me.

I took a drive today to put together a cycle course in the Sleeve Bloom Mountains and i have a nice 65k circuit with 10k of that pure climbing on the bike.

My swimming starts tomorrow ( i did some in the last week but nothing too serious ).

Early morning sessions will be key for me and early nights to match.

I've also been in touch with Gerry Duffy and he's going to pass on some training tips to me:)

Training proper started today.

5k run at lunch at 5:41 pace, not too fast and not too slow.

Good to get back to it and 1st week training is set out.

Mon - 5k run
    Tues - Morning turbo session, evening swim
    Wen - Morning 6k run, evening swim
    Thurs - evening club brick session ( 10k cycle, 2k run......double repeat )
    Fri - Cycle to work ( 65k ), late afternoon swim
    Sat - 10k run
    Sun - 40k cycle

I don't know how many hrs that is but looking to hit 15 to 20 a week if possible.

Any feedback on the above would be great.

Also looking at a TT bike and date of June 8th is set for by wetsuit purchase.

Almost time for bed, alarm will go off at 5:30 for turbo session.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My thoughts, based on doing 16 hr weeks right now. :) Don't put too much pressure on to do 15+ hours. You don't necessarily need it and you need to be careful that quality doesn't suffer. With your busy life it may be hard (and disheartening) to maintain. If you are doing it, build into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

A lot like Oryx said, build into it, make it a habit and don't get disheartened if sessions get missed. Life is very good at getting in the way of training and 99% of the time it's more important :)

Good luck!

Thanks guys,

Suppose i'm just worried i'm not doing enough.

Swim...........a lot of work to be done.

Cycle...........the distance is in my legs, i just need to do regular long cycles and a weekly hill/mountain session for the 2 major climbs.

Run.........not really worried as i'm well up to half marathon distance, some interval stuff and one long run a week at the moment will keep me ticking over.

I'm holding off until the end of june for the long brick sessions that i want to do once a week.

Life gets in the way but i won't give up.

Tuesday :

Swim session in the evening working on head position and breathing which went very well. I feel i can take a big step forward in my swimming in the next few weeks.

Wen :

Spent my day doing 2 gigs entertaining kids and sweating rather a lot so that was a workout in itself.

Then off i went and picking a TT bike Fuji D6 3.0

TNDO

Club brick session last night.

They do it cycle run, cycle run.

Cycle :4.75k at a slow enough pace all in a group

Run : 2k 1 up hill and back down. They changed this run and the hills just off the bike are fun. I timed the 2k at 9:54 whch i'm happy with but i was struggling towards the end with the heat as i was wearing a tri suit with a t shirt over it and i was close to melt down.

Cycle : 2 laps of the 4.75 and legs opened up, i actually didn't want to get off the bike as i was enjoying it do much:o

Run : 4k up, down, up, down. I kept up a good pace for the first set but was wiped for the 2nd set. I didn't want to push it too hard as i was trying old runners ( in the bin now ) and i had something planned for this morning. I still kept it at 5:30 pace.

Overall a good session and something i intend to do every thursday evening. I'll do longer bricks by myself as the months pass but this helps buold fitness and train the legs.

TNDO

• Advertisement

I set a goal a long time ago and this morning i finally did it. I cycled to work in Dublin from Laois.

Up at 6 and out the door at 6:15 hit a nice pace from the off and there was no wind to worry about at all.

The odd hill heading from Kildare to Newbridge but nothing too bad. On to Naas and the first of slowing for traffic lights.

Through there and along the back of the N7 until Kil and then i had to join the main road and the traffic.

Kept going until 49k and stopped for 3 min to eat a banana ( it was in my bag and couldn't get at it ).

Off i went again and from then on the legs seems to open up, pace increased until 58k and i got a flat:mad: 10 min to change it and off i went.

Uneventful from Newlands cross on, traffic lights stop, traffic lights stop etc and my pace dropped.

In total 72k in 2:51 with an averagr pace of 25.2 ( i was aiming for 25 so very happy )

Overall delighted with it and starting to enjoy my cycling more than my running. Body is fine and i got a recovery drink into my and a shower.

A few hrs work and then i'm out to dinner:D

Plan is to swim in the morning if i'm in one piece. But my wife is getting her new bike so no doubt i'll end up out with her at some stage and then work tomorrow night.

I feel i crossed a bridge this morning and its given my the confidence to get out and do those longer spins on the bike that i've tried to avoid because i thought my legs weren't able for it. I need to believe more and you can only fail if you try in the 1st place.

TNDO

Busy weekend.

Sat i decided to sleep.........thats right...........sleep. Its an important part of training and its not something i do enough of so i get a few hours in bed to recharge and refresh, i ate well and it felt good.

Today Sunday i was working at a 10k and was on site from 10 to 3 with lots of running around and the usual madness. Home and a nice bbq with the kids. Relaxed and now time for an early bed.

After the posts about over training and trying too much i've taken it onboard and this week looks like this so far.

Mon - run at lunch ( 6 to 8k )
    Tues - early morning cycle ( 30k ), evening swim
    Wen - evening swim
    Thurs - evening club brick session
    Fri - morning cycle ( 50k ), evening swim

Overall its a busy week with TriAthy coming up, all starts with a meeting with the race director at 6:50 in the morning:)

Oh and looks like i'll be interviewing Morrison and Noble in Athy next sat:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Good job today Elvis. Good to meet ya.

Cheers for the glasses. That would have been the final nail in the coffin on a disaster of a day. Thanks again

Cheers Dave, glad you got them back............as i said i'm an Oalkey man:D

Weather was a big factor yesterday and the winner did an amazing time of 30:48

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Thats a great cycle you did last week mate. never done anywhere over 45, going to try bigger distance tonight.

Signed up for same HIM as you. Ill give the training a good bash and hopefully i get thier in one piece. Lots of work on the bike to be done and as you said brick sessions.

Programme starts today so 15 weeks to get in shape. Ill see ya Sat, doing Olympic so will pop over and say hello.

Thats a great cycle you did last week mate. never done anywhere over 45, going to try bigger distance tonight.

Signed up for same HIM as you. Ill give the training a good bash and hopefully i get thier in one piece. Lots of work on the bike to be done and as you said brick sessions.

Programme starts today so 15 weeks to get in shape. Ill see ya Sat, doing Olympic so will pop over and say hello.

15 weeks, thanks for reminding me:eek:

Its not just distance its hills. Once i get Athy out of the way i'll focus on two cycles a week over 50k with a brick session in the middle. The weekend one will half major hills in it with the midweek focusing on keeping in the tri position and turning over the legs.

I have 110k spin planning for june 15th to Longford from Portarlington.

Wasn't feeling the best yesterday so spent it in bed/on the toilet:o feeling sorry for myself.

I was going to do a turbo in front of the tv in the evening but had no energy at all.

So 6k run was pushed forward to today and did it at 5:25 pace. Very happy with the overall and legs feel good afterwards.

Swim tonight and trying a nose clip as my nose has been annoying me after the pool recently.

Any idea how big these hills are, can't see anything on site.

Im wondering would Howth Hill do for my Training for hills or would i need to go bigger like Wicklow?

Any idea how big these hills are, can't see anything on site.

Im wondering would Howth Hill do for my Training for hills or would i need to go bigger like Wicklow?

I'm using the sleeve blooms and one of them have 7.5k of solid climbing. i must ask the question on the event thread.

7.5 k ha ha, i need to get the finger out so. Id probably fall off my bike going up that distance.

• Advertisement

7.5 k ha ha, i need to get the finger out so. Id probably fall off my bike going up that distance.

Ya there are a few climbs around me and i need to ask a few others for more routes. I've been advised to get a few 100k cycles with hills into me before the big day.

Crap swim tonight. The pool i've been using is just plain pointless. Adult only session in the evening has kids in 15 min after its meant to be over and even then other idiots stand in the middle of the pool making it impossible to get lengths done.

It also doesn't open until 9:30 which means morning sessions aren't an option.

As bad as it is i'm moving to a pool that only 18m but is open at 6:30 and s quiet so which suits me and once i keep doing the lengths that all that matters.

Turbo session in the morning

Turbo was moved to evening as my wife was off trying out a borrowed wetsuit and i had to mind the kids.

Anyway

5 min warm up

4 on 1 off
    3.5 on 1 off
    3 on 1 off
    2.5 on 1 off
    2 on 1 off
    1.5 on 1 off
    1 on 1 off

3 min cool down

4 on 1 off
    3.5 on 1 off
    3 on 1 off
    2.5 on 1 off
    2 on 1 off
    1.5 on 1 off
    1 on 1 off

5 min warm down

A good session and the main aim was to get the heart pumping and the body sweating.

Brick session tomorrow evening and then Athy and gigs take over until Monday:)

Weekend just got busier with an extra wedding tomorrow night i have to cover so brick put aside tonight and i'll do a quick 6k. Then i have all my music to get ready for the week.

Join new pool in the morning, get new tyre on the van, off to Dublin to collect a mic and new tri suit, back to Athy to meet the race director, home to bed and then back up at 21:00 to head to do the wedding, home at 03:00.

Back up sat at 5:30 and on site in Athy at 06:00, set up and get all going. Finish at about 19:00, out of there are 19:30, home at 20:00, quick shower and off to work in Dublin, gig from 22:30 to 02:30 and home at 03:30.

Back up at 06:00 on Sunday and off to for Athy to be on site at 06:30 and system running at 07:00. Finish in Athy at 14:00 and home at 15:00 and spend some time with the kids. Bed at 19:00 and back up at 22:30 to head to Dublin to work. Gig from 00:00 to 02:30, get home at 03:30 and the busiest weekend of the year is at an end..................

Not thats an Ironman weekend:D

What a weekend..............started at 6am fri morning and finished at 4am monday morning. In all that time i got roughly 10 hrs sleep and if i wasn't sleeping i was working, no down time at all.

Yesterday i had my parents visit so i cooked a nice bbq and chilled with a beer. In the evening i played with the kids, got them to bed and had a well deserved bottle of red:)

Bed nice and early and back up at 7 with the kids so mrs jones had a lie in.

Had to deliver a mic to Dublin and then Mc Donalds with the kids ( i was bold :D ) and home to do the shopping and get back to normal.............

After all that i decided to run.

I have a nice hilly route i use for shorter runs and did it twice for 10k. I was actually very happy as i did it in 55:23, 5:32 pace and something left in the tank at the end.

Another weigh in this morning and am at 98.5kg.............so far thats 20kg i've got rid off and if i'm honest i'd like to say bye bye to at least another 10kg before the lost sheep.

This week

Wen Morning - swim before work , evening turbo session
    Thursday - evening club brick session
    Fri - Morning swim, afternoon 40k cycle
    Sat - nothing as mrs jones is racing in athlone
    Sun - 80k cycle

Once again life got in the way with the kids being up half the night so no swim this morning.

Turbo this evening

5 min warm up

5 on - 1 off
    4.5 on - 1 off
    4 on - 1 off
    3.5 on - 1 off
    3 on - 1 off
    2.5 on - 1 off
    2 on - 1 0ff
    1.5 on - 1 off
    1 on - 1 off

5 min warm down

45 min in total and it felt good, i could have done a lot more but i want to build it slowly. I'd rather not do a turbo but i had to mind the kids.

If i can get out the door on time i'll swim in the morning, but brick in the evening.

I'm going to hold off my wetsuit for another 2 weeks to get more weight off.

Swim yesterday in the new quiet pool, ok its only an 18m pool but its quiet and i can work in peace.

I still need to train my brain to relax in the water so 15 min just working on stroke and position, nothing else but that.

Then a move to lengths and ugh it was average, i need a good run of 10 or 15 days in a row so it becomes more natural, that starts on monday morning.

Mrs jones is off racing this morning so i'm left here with the kids after 3 hrs of sleep:( when she gets back i'll grab a quick 12k run and a disco nap before work tonight.

Early morning cycle tomorrow of between 50 and 80k and then off to the pool in the afternoon with the kids and i'll grab a few lengths then.

The time is ticking away and i really need to up the sessions if i want to do Lost Sheep and not just painfully finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I know what a disco stick and a disco ball are, but what is a disco nap? :)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I know what a disco stick and a disco ball are, but what is a disco nap? :)

Rather simple.............a pre gig nap for a dj:D

Working until 4am and back up early to cycle tomorrow so i'll grab 2 hrs in bed this evening to help the body !

Advertisement