Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Iron Elvis

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Man flu..............:(

Signed up for waterford half marathon on Dec 1, anything for some focus for the next while.

Tough week as my mam was in for he operation and mrs jones was on OT so i had the kids each evening. Not even a sniff of getting out to do anything !

I finally got back out this evening and did a VERY SLOW 6K at 6:10 pace. I just couldn't get air in the lungs and it was the hardest work out i've done in a long time.......but it was done.

I got a front wheel holder for the turbo so i'm back on that tomorrow evening when watching the football.

Rejoined the pool and will skip up there on lunch on wen as i have 90 min a day now to fill !

1st proper pool session since the start of Sept after work. I finished at 16:30, swam 1k, did 7 min in the sauna and was still home at 17:45.

Swim was hard starting off but found my stroke after about 200 and settled into it after that.

Swim tomorrow at lunch ( 1 to 1.5k ) and run after work 7k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I bet you don't know what to with yourself now you don't have a huge chunk of your life taken up with commuting!

• Advertisement

I bet you don't know what to with yourself now you don't have a huge chunk of your life taken up with commuting!

Ya its great and really helping the energy levels. But i won't get the full benefits until next spring and i can cycle/run to work

I used my 1st long lunch today to swim and got 1k swim, 8 min sauna, 10 min jacuzzi, sambo and a nice coffee into my hour:D

Its going to be like that every day and i hope to increase swim to 2k and cut out sauna etc with sambo eaten in 1 min flat !!!

Busy weekend gig was so i'll have to fit in what i can but good to be back training and eating properly.

From now until Feb 1 is being treated as pre training for Up and Over !

Today was work til lunch and then off to dub to do an afternoon gig. Nothing done but i hadn't planned to anyway.

Early gig tomorrow in the Dublin, back down to swim etc and then back up for my normal sat night gig.

Sunday up early to grab a quick 30k on the bike, off to Longford to see my parents and then off to Dublin sunday night for a gig.

Monday i hope to get in LSR, i need to start building long distances at the weekends.

Crimbo gigs have started coming in so i need to get in an much training in as i can in Nov as i'll be rather busy !

I need to build to 5 swim sessions a week with 4 week days and 1 weekend.

swim at lunch again today and another 1k

125m warm up
    750 with pull buoy ( 18:55 )
    125m warm down.

Good session and took a while to find my stroke but when i did i speeded up and was happy over all hitting sub 19 min with the pull buoy.

Same tomorrow with core 750m without pull buoy.

Another lunch and another swim session !

125m warm up
    750m core
    125 warm down

1st timed 750m in while and i did it on 21:05, its the fastest i've ever done it. Remember in April 2011 i was clocking 33 min for that distance is its a major improvement. I have set myself a mini goal of sub 20 min by christmas.

More swimming tomorrow ! I think i'll do a slow 1500, with 100m warm up and down so 1700m in total.

• Advertisement

Yesterday it was.........swimming

100m warm up
    1300m pull buoy session
    100m warm down

Went well and spent it working on stroke and breathing. 1500m is this weeks distance, i hope to build to a standard pull buoy of 2.5k and normal session of 1.5 to 2k all depending on time ( this is until 2013 when it jumps again )

And today it was.......swimming !!!!

When i'm feeling good about it and enjoying it i'm keeping it up.

Total session of 1600m.

1st 750m were at a fast pace and then i slowed it down just to teach myself to relax and recover while still moving and making ground in the water.

really enjoyed the session and only stopped to go back to work.

I'll do another session tomorrow after work that can be a bit longer and i can hit that 2k mark and keep at that.

Just to add, i can't give up on this log until i finish 100% of a half iron. I know from Jan onwards all focus will be on Up and Over but until May 18 ( Tri an Mhi half iron ) i can't let this log go:mad:

Another day, another swim session !

It was a big day as i finally did a sub 20 min 750m, my fingers tipped the wall in 19:40 which was a BIG deal for me as 18 months ago i couldn't swim and in July i was still struggling will doing more than 25m at a time.

I know i've had some set backs but this week has been an eye opener, my stroke is feeling natural, my breathing is normal and more than anything i'm not thinking about it as i do it. Today i was thinking about dinner, what to watch on tv, this weekends work and a nice bum in my new job:p

After the 750m i slowed the pace down and just kept going, i finally hit the 2k mark in 57 min. I only stopped because time was against me !

I'm really enjoying it and 3k is the now target with a sub 40min 1500m

Looking to change tact with 2013 looming and the focus on up and over. Its time to look at sessions in terms of time in line more with training for longer distance events.

I started that today with doing just over an hr in the pool, nice slow solid pace with no stops at all, 2225m in the end. I would like to be at 2500m an hr after a while so 2k an hr for up and over will be a pace i'm comfortable with.

I've also not been great with my diet in the last while and have put back on i'd say almost over 3kg so a focused effort is once again needed in this area with special attention on sugar intake with my diabetes. I 'm very sluggish and the reason is sugar, cut it out and my energy levels will soar !

Busy week with my last in training so limited time to train but from next week i have structure back with my working hrs etc and will be able to swim 3 morning a week before work.

Aim is to get down 5 to 6kg before christmas ! This will start proper on friday after a major session Thursday night to celebrate the end of training.

I'm also starting TRX next week and any feedback on that would be great !

Another swim session today, simple 1hr pull buoy working on stroke and breathing.

200m warm up with no pull buoy and then 2200m with the pull buoy. Nice solid pace and breathing was good.

I feel over the last few weeks i'm making good progress and i really want to be at 2500m front crawl in an hr so 2k an hr is a solid pace for Up and Over.

Major session tomorrow night so a quick light swim and sauna before an indian and hitting the beer:D

Another swim yesterday, 45 min slow paced session. 1300m in total, it really was slow but showed me i can drop the pace right down and just keep going when i'm slow.

Nothing today as i was out on the beer last night ! I don't think i'll get anything done tomorrow as i have a double gig day. Run on sunday.

New challenge.........new log

Thanks to everyone who followed me on this journey and please come with me on the next one !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82417262#post82417262

Advertisement