Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

liammur wrote: »
    Nothing apart from:
    ulster are struggling to make the playoffs in the magners
    Clermont have potentially the best squad in Europe.

Ulster should have beaten Clermont in France this season. Dodgy Dave seperated the teams in the end.

First you claim Biarritz would convincingly beat Ulster, despite Ulster having beaten them. Then you claim Clermont would wipe the floor with Ulster, despite Ulster having beaten them once this season and it should have been twice... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Ulster should have beaten Clermont in France this season. Dodgy Dave seperated the teams in the end.

First you claim Biarritz would convincingly beat Ulster, despite Ulster having beaten them. Then you claim Clermont would wipe the floor with Ulster, despite Ulster having beaten them once this season and it should have been twice... :pac:

Should have been twice? I take it you weren't watching the match in Ravenhill then ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because their squad is slightly threabare. Their first XV however is excellent (with a couple decent subs, though not quite a full 23). They got a bonus point away in Clermont - the same as Leinster managed last year down there. Unless Pienaar, Muller or Afoa were out of the game then I don't see any chance of a hammering.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Because their squad is slightly threabare. Their first XV however is excellent (with a couple decent subs, though not quite a full 23). They got a bonus point away in Clermont - the same as Leinster managed last year down there. Unless Pienaar, Muller or Afoa were out of the game then I don't see any chance of a hammering.

I agree getting a bonus point in Clermont is a great result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I agree getting a bonus point in Clermont is a great result.

And I'm sure you also know beating them at home is a good result too

Therefore it's baffling that you think they would wipe the floor with them in a HC final based on Ulster not being in the top 4 of the raboo

• Advertisement

Should have been twice? I take it you weren't watching the match in Ravenhill then ?

The one Ulster won?

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    And I'm sure you also know beating them at home is a good result too

Therefore it's baffling that you think they would wipe the floor with them in a HC final based on Ulster not being in the top 4 of the raboo

It is a very good result, but you seem to want it both ways by claiming Ulster should have beaten them twice, when they were clearly lucky to win in Ravenhill. I would be fairer and say 1 win each was correct.

It is a very good result, but you seem to want it both ways by claiming Ulster should have beaten them twice, when they were clearly lucky to win in Ravenhill. I would be fairer and say 1 win each was correct.

They weren't lucky. They outplayed Clermont for most of that game.

In Clermont it was an awful refereeing decision that seperated the teams, in Ravenhill it was a good try. Although in fairness to Clermont it was a less strong team in Ravenhill I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm scratching my head on this one.... Did you watch that game or..? :confused:

Ulster were fantastic, they schooled them. They made their 'all star' players look decidedly average.

They weren't lucky. They outplayed Clermont for most of that game.

In Clermont it was an awful refereeing decision that seperated the teams, in Ravenhill it was a good try. Although in fairness to Clermont it was a less strong team in Ravenhill I think.

My recollection of that game is, missed kicks from Clermont, late try for Ulster, ulster pack bullied.

Didn't see the game in clermont, but very surprised to note that ulster bagged a bonus.

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    Perpignan against Northampton last season in the semi final? Little chip over the top in midfield, Marty burst through and gathered the chip with a clear run from about 40m and Clancy called it back. Marty had been about a full metre behind Laharrague when he kicked. Northampton slotted the resulting penalty from halfway. 10 point swing on a terrible call.

That was one of the worst displays of ref'ing I've ever seen in a game. Perp totally imploded though. The smugness of NH players really was picked up on by the cameras in that game though... Really made the final all the sweeter.

ulster pack bullied.
    :pac:

The full game is on youtube. Watch it again. Chris Henry was the standout forward on the pitch and the rest of the pack completely outplayed Clermont's

.ak wrote: »
    I'm scratching my head on this one.... Did you watch that game or..? :confused:

Ulster were fantastic, they schooled them. They made their 'all star' players look decidedly average.

This is the match report, not exactly what I'd term 'schooling' :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/8884522/Ulster-16-Clermont-Auvergne-11-match-report.html

You need to do more research than scrounge up a useless telegraph article.

My recollection of that game is, missed kicks from Clermont, late try for Ulster, ulster pack bullied.

Didn't see the game in clermont, but very surprised to note that ulster bagged a bonus.

I'd also suggest watching the game again. That's just not what happened at all. Clermont looked lost. Great game, one of the stand out games in the pool stages. So was the replay in Clermont... Ulster were very good there too, and a couple of dodgy calls from the ref killed their chances. I'd almost say that they had a harder time there than Leinster did the previous year, and Ulster did better (There, I said it) than we did over there.

Here's the stuff Hines got up to... but that was the most obvious one, and it fairness was picked up on...

You took my bait, I knew someone would. didn't know which one.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

I see that Exeter sealed their HEC spot for next season, fair play to them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I see that Exeter sealed their HEC spot for next season, fair play to them.

Fair play is right. They've Northampton at home on Sunday and a win will confirm their play off spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Biarritz beat Munster, a european powerhouse, then went onto narrowly lose to Toulouse, 19-21, the best team in the history of the H Cup

You need to do more research than scrounge up a useless telegraph article.
    That Ospreys team were good enough to beat the pick of this Ulster/Edinburgh selection.

but not good enough to beat Ulster....it seems.

jacothelad wrote: »
    but not good enough to beat Ulster....it seems.

Jaco, I think Liammur has pretty much admitted he's trolling, best to leave it at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Nothing apart from:
    Clermont have potentially the best squad in Europe.
    the Rabo (get with the program magners is so last year) is a different animal all together to the cup. Its much more of a squad game and the Ulster squad is much smaller than Pro12 big boys like Leinster and Munster.

Jaco, I think Liammur has pretty much admitted he's trolling, best to leave it at this stage.

Nothing of the sort. I used the same newspaper for humour. Anyone who read the article instantly recognised that Ulster didn't 'school' Clermont as posters had suggested.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Clermont are in for a shock in 2 wkds time. We are going to steamroll them and then Ulster in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Leinster7 wrote: »
    Clermont are in for a shock in 2 wkds time. We are going to steamroll them and then Ulster in the final.

Clermont won't be steamrolled and nor will Ulster

The only steamrolling I can see is if Ulster choke in Dublin and Leinster overcome Clermont

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Clermont won't be steamrolled and nor will Ulster

The only steamrolling I can see is if Ulster choke in Dublin and Leinster overcome Clermont

If we play Edinburgh in the final, it'll be about holding short of embarassing them. Or maybe not.

Leinster7 wrote: »
    I remember when we steamrolled them the last time we played them in.France...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Nothing of the sort. I used the same newspaper for humour. Anyone who read the article instantly recognised that Ulster didn't 'school' Clermont as posters had suggested.
    Thank you.

Pretty much the definition of trolliing right there. :rolleyes:

I remember when we steamrolled them the last time we played them in.France...

Or that time we steamrolled them in the RDS, winning by a single point with Brock James missing five kicks and two drop goal attempts. Yep, gave them a fair trouncing that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Nice of you to admit that you are trolling, do it again and you will be on the end of a 2 week ban

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I agree that we definitely cannot underestimate this match, it's going to be the toughest test we've had so far this season.

And yes, the RDS in 2010 was lucky and close, and we had to fight tooth and nail to get a bonus point in Clermont later that year.

But let's also remember we actually did steam roll them last time we played (just for the sake of being fair).

It's going to be a tight one, but I know we can do it.

Advertisement