Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Maestri is a fool for getting involved. No doubt the 'fans' were being abusive but you cannot get involved.

It's also unkind to cast aspersions about the nature of the crowd based on the actions of a few. I've heard a few loudmouths with toungues loosened by a few pints over the years, in general you just sing a bit louder and get on with it. There is nothing, no abuse which justifies a player getting involved with the crowd. I'm not familiar with the incident but stewards / local police should really ensure that it's not possible either?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I am pie wrote: »
    Maestri is a fool for getting involved. No doubt the 'fans' were being abusive but you cannot get involved.

It's also unkind to cast aspersions about the nature of the crowd based on the actions of a few. I've heard a few loudmouths with toungues loosened by a few pints over the years, in general you just sing a bit louder and get on with it. There is nothing, no abuse which justifies a player getting involved with the crowd. I'm not familiar with the incident but stewards / local police should really ensure that it's not possible either?

OH I totally agree, doesn't excuse Maestri at all. But my general opinion on Scottish rugby fans is there are generally great, very friendly and vocal and whatnot. So the fact that there were people supporting Edinburgh acting like that leads me to the assumption that the group around the dugout box were not rugby fans at all, hence the quotation marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Any cheap package deals for the final going around?

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ok folks, it's less than a week away so I have a really important question.

Best boozers around the aviva, preferably the southern end of the stadium please? :) Although the direction isn't really relevant given that it'll be easy to walk around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

awec wrote: »

Best boozers around the aviva, preferably the southern end of the stadium please? :) Although the direction isn't really relevant given that it'll be easy to walk around anyway.

I'm quite fond of the 51 on Haddington Road, good spot and has a band playing after the games as well as bbq on the go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The best idea would be to come down from the north imo. There are a few pubs around.

If you want to park south side then you've always got that hotel (forgive me for forgetting the name, someone else will remember) who normally put out a good spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Toulon:
    15 Benjamin Lapeyre, 14 Alexis Palisson, 13 Geoffroy Messina, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 David Smith, 10 Jonny Wilkinson, 9 Sébastien Tillous-Borde,
    8 Joe van Niekerk (capt), 7 Steffon Armitage, 6 Pierrick Gunther, 5 Dean Schofield, 4 Christophe Samson, 3 Davit Kubriashvili, 2 Jean-Charles Orioli, 1 Laurent Emmanuelli.

Replacements: 16 Sebastien Bruno, 17 Eifion Lewis-Roberts, 18 Carl Hayman, 19 Joe El Abd, 20 Gabi Lovobalavu, 21 Luke Rooney, 22 Fabien Cibray, 23 Jocelino Suta.

Stade Français:
    15 Hugo Bonneval, 14 Paul Sackey, 13 Morgan Turinui, 12 George Smith, 11 Julien Arias, 10 Jules Plisson, 9 Jerome Fillol,
    8 David Lyons, 7 Pierre Rabadan, 6 Antoine Burban, 5 Alexandre Flanquart, 4 Tom Palmer, 3 David Attoub, 2 Aled De Malmanche, 1 Stan Wright.

Replacements: 16 Laurent Sempere, 17 Rabah Slimani, 18 Olivier Milloud, 19 Anton van Zyl, 20 Sergio Parisse, 21 Jonathan Danty, 22 Julien Dupuy, 23 Djibril Camara.

Looks like Stade have thrown in the towel with that selection, playing George Smith at 12 and leaving Parisse on the bench. Toulon by 10-15 easily IMO. Toulon have a full strength side minus injuries (Bakkies Botha and Basteraud).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Beggars Bush, Slatterys, Berkeley Court, Ballsbridge Hotel (formerly Jurys), any of the pubs along Ballsbridge itself, Lansdowne Hotel on Pembroke Road, Schoolhouse further down.
    Didn't like the crowd in the Bath Pub. Was like Krystle on pre-nightout.

Enjoy beers.
    I'll be working :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Looks like Stade have thrown in the towel with that selection, playing George Smith at 12 and leaving Parisse on the bench. Toulon by 10-15 easily IMO. Toulon have a full strength side minus injuries (Bakkies Botha and Basteraud).

A derby at Racing next weekend, with a two-point gap between them for the final playoff spot, not surprised to see SF rest a few guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Seems weird to me. Very unlike Cheika. Especially having seen him after the final last year, it's not as though he doesn't rate this competition, and you'd have to say that this is their best chance for silverware...

Has Smith ever played 12 before??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Seems weird to me. Very unlike Cheika. Especially having seen him after the final last year, it's not as though he doesn't rate this competition, and you'd have to say that this is their best chance for silverware...

Has Smith ever played 12 before??

You can bet your keyster that George Smith volunteered to play there. Has the hands and vision. Doesn't have the boot for tactical kicking and his speed has taken a tumble over the past few seasons.
    Still made me look up. Might even watch highlights just to see how he got on. Not bothered about the game or either team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Not even for a chance to watch Jonny? :D

jonny-wilkinson_1459563c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Beggars Bush, but it will be mental there (goes for all the others as well, mind you). Best value, no noisy tv in the main bar. BBQ as well (also goes for all the others)!

Alain Rolland... Ah no

Some try.!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Super super try from Toulon.

Armitage was pure class there.

Toulonnais allez allez allez!!!

Armitage just destroyed George Smith with a handoff!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Throwing it around for fun...

This is like Baa Baas rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Leinster should adopt whatever that crazed chanting was before the match..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Tox56 wrote: »

Witch craft I tells ya

100mph from Toulon so far

Tox56 wrote: »
    Witch craft I tells ya

Have witnessed it in person twice, once in Toulon, once in Marseille. Very special way to get the crowd going.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_Mayol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

That Toulon -12 might have been the worst set handicap I've ever seen

Gobbled it up so I did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Gobbled it up so I did

Me too

Nice try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Shouldn't have opened my mouth!

Shouldn't have opened my mouth!

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Gobbled it up so I did

Was a bit late, only got them at -14, bit nervous now..

Advertisement