Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wasps with a brace of lovely quick tries. 23 all!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

23-26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Messed up that try awful!!!!

Good kick from the prop to finish the game...

In terms of the Amlin, this is a disaster for the ERC. They have fixed the final for the Stoop and now Scarlets are the only non French team left and they have to go away to Brive tommorrow for the QF.

If two French sides are contesting the final in the Stoop then you won't see many French teams travel.

The ERC should have waited to name the venue as they did a few years ago when Toulon got to the final and they named Stade Velodrome as the venue. The result was the Toulon fans packed the place, ~60,000 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Just out of interest.. are Leinster at home for a semi final with Clermont/Saracens and if they are would that mean two matches in two days in the aviva, maybe even a double header?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

spiralism wrote: »
    Just out of interest.. are Leinster at home for a semi final with Clermont/Saracens and if they are would that mean two matches in two days in the aviva, maybe even a double header?

No, they have to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Nope they'll be away regardless of who wins tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Nope they'll be away regardless of who wins tomorrow

Why's that, didnt they finish with a higher group seed than either of them? or is it just how the draw works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Why's that, didnt they finish with a higher group seed than either of them? or is it just how the draw works?

The SF home and away draws are random, pulled out of a hat kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

An understrength Brive just beat Lanelli to make all Semi Finalists in the Amlin French.

Toulon v Stade Francais
    Biarittz v Brive

Toulon are third in the Top 14 and Stade are seventh 9 points ahead of eighth. From Wikipedia:

If a trophy winner has already qualified for the Heineken Cup by virtue of its league position, that country will receive an extra Heineken Cup place.

So it looks like Stade could have qualified for next years HEC so.

Toulon will win the Amlin I reckon, they have a serious chip in the shoulder after messing up in 2010 in front of 60,000+ in Marseille. They named a full strength team against Quins which IMO shows their intent. However the other sides will be looking to secure a HEC place so there's a lot to play for for everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

skregs wrote: »
    Could Leinster play all their knock out games in the Aviva next year if they get a home SF and finish top 4 in the groups, and has that ever occurred with any team before?

Leinster nearly did it in 02/03. They'd a home QF and SF and the final was in Dublin. Perpignan beat us in the SF though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

skregs wrote: »
    Could Leinster play all their knock out games in the Aviva next year if they get a home SF and finish top 4 in the groups, and has that ever occurred with any team before?

That could happen. It depends on the draw for the semi finals.....if Leinster get that far!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

vienne86 wrote: »
    That could happen. It depends on the draw for the semi finals.....if Leinster get that far!

It depends on what stadium they nominate as their home ground I think.
    As you cant play the semi there.
    If they play all 3 at aviva I think there would be questions afterwards if this wasnt their designated stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Could be some interesting pools next year if things pan out the way I think they may do. I've come up with this seeding for next year: (this is based on Leinster beating Ulster in the Heineken Final and Toulon beating Biarritz in the Amlin Final)

H1 Leinster(40) Toulouse(27) Munster(23) Cardiff(20) Northampton(20) Clermont(18)
    H2 Leicester(17) Ulster(17) Stade Francais(17) Toulon(16) Harlequins(15) Edinburgh(12)
    H3 Ospreys(12) Scarlets(9) Glasgow(9) Gloucester(8) Saracens(8) Connacht(6)
    H4 Treviso(4) Racing Metro(4) Castres(4) Montpellier(3) Exeter(2) Aironi/Rome(2)

Interestingly Connacht will be 3rd seeds if they get in next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Going to be one or two horrible groups with those 4th seeds. Cardiff still being top seeds is horrible to see. Could conceivably have a pool of Cardiff, Edinburgh, Connacht and Rome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

GerM wrote: »
    Going to be one or two horrible groups with those 4th seeds. Cardiff still being top seeds is horrible to see. Could conceivably have a pool of Cardiff, Edinburgh, Connacht and Rome.
    Doesn't work, there has to be a french and english team in each group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Doesn't work, there has to be a french and english team in each group

Every year I make that mistake. Every bloody year. Pigeons learn faster than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

pithater1 wrote: »
    Could be some interesting pools next year if things pan out the way I think they may do. I've come up with this seeding for next year: (this is based on Leinster beating Ulster in the Heineken Final and Toulon beating Biarritz in the Amlin Final)

H1 Leinster(40) Toulouse(27) Munster(23) Cardiff(20) Northampton(20) Clermont(18)
    H2 Leicester(17) Ulster(17) Stade Francais(17) Toulon(16) Harlequins(15) Edinburgh(12)
    H3 Ospreys(12) Scarlets(9) Glasgow(9) Gloucester(8) Saracens(8) Connacht(6)
    H4 Treviso(4) Racing Metro(4) Castres(4) Montpellier(3) Exeter(2) Aironi/Rome(2)

Interestingly Connacht will be 3rd seeds if they get in next year.

Ulster will be on 18 points if they get to the final as they didn't win their group they get 8 points (winners get 9) or 10 points for winning the HC.
    Leinster, Edinburgh and Clermont will get 11 points for winning the HC as they were group winners or 9 for making the finals.
    http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/ranking.php

• Advertisement

Great weekend of games

Give me that over the 6ns any-day

The hilarity of one poster saying Leinster "won't have a chance" against Clermont is baffling. As I see it they're still the team to beat and should be able to turn Clermont over in France, although it won't be easy

Ulster should breeze past the scots in Dublin, who were made to look a lot better than they are by a disinterested Toulouse side.

All Irish final seems the most likely out-come IMO. But Ulster should be hoping Clermont hold firm at home because I can't see Leinster being beaten if they overcome the French

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

yimrsg wrote: »
    Ulster will be on 18 points if they get to the final as they didn't win their group they get 8 points (winners get 9) or 10 points for winning the HC.
    Leinster, Edinburgh and Clermont will get 11 points for winning the HC as they were group winners or 9 for making the finals.
    http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/ranking.php

17 no?
    They're on 10 at the moment so losing the final will get them 8 points, so losing the one point they had in 07/08 will leave them in 17 (19 and 1st seeds if they win the final).

• Administrators Posts: 53,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Great weekend of games

Give me that over the 6ns any-day

The hilarity of one poster saying Leinster "won't have a chance" against Clermont is baffling. As I see it they're still the team to beat and should be able to turn Clermont over in France, although it won't be easy

Ulster should breeze past the scots in Dublin, who were made to look a lot better than they are by a disinterested Toulouse side.

All Irish final seems the most likely out-come IMO. But Ulster should be hoping Clermont hold firm at home because I can't see Leinster being beaten if they overcome the French

From a chance of winning point of view I'd prefer to play Clermont in the final, but at the same time an all-ireland final would be great craic and good for irish rugby as a whole.

It's not that far fetched to say Leinster 'won't have a chance', although I do agree that do indeed have a chance, but Clermont will be clear favourites imo.... It's a massive ask for Leinster to go over to Bordeaux and turn them.

But... There's hope atleast. Any else notice that the Airport short code in Bordeaux is BOD? :D

.ak wrote: »
    It's not that far fetched to say Leinster 'won't have a chance', although I do agree that do indeed have a chance, but Clermont will be clear favourites imo.... It's a massive ask for Leinster to go over to Bordeaux and turn them.

But... There's hope atleast. Any else notice that the Airport short code in Bordeaux is BOD? :D

Leinster are still favorites in the outright betting which would indicate they'll be favorites for the semi

Hence the 'imo' part. :P Just my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

pithater1 wrote: »
    17 no?
    They're on 10 at the moment so losing the final will get them 8 points, so losing the one point they had in 07/08 will leave them in 17 (19 and 1st seeds if they win the final).

Whoops my bad there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's ridiculously far fetched to say Leinster "won't have a chance". The game isn't even in Clermont. They might lose but the betting is at practical scratch for a reason.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It's ridiculously far fetched to say Leinster "won't have a chance". The game isn't even in Clermont. They might lose but the betting is at practical scratch for a reason.

It's gonna be ridiculously tight. Is Bordeaux a rugby town? Like, will there be a lot of French neutrals turning up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For some reason I get the impression that French neutrals would be no more keen to cheer for Clermont then Leinster. Though I may have that wrong.

Advertisement