Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

Tox56 wrote: »
    Refs for the Quarter-Finals: http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/16262.php

Leinster got Pearson, Munster/Ulster got Poite.

If Botha is unavailable, or not at full speed, I'm getting all over Ulster.

Poite = "If you move it, you win it" in scrum situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Afoa has looked very good too the last few games I've seen him though.

It'll be an interesting contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Surley wrote: »

You can't even make this **** up

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well overdue a Henson headline

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's also some great Amlin CC games on this weekend.

Thu 5 Quarter final: Stade Français v Exeter Chiefs, Stade Charlety, Paris
    20:45 local, 18:45 GMT, 19:45 IST

Fri 6 Quarter final: Toulon v Harlequins, Stade Félix-Mayol, Toulon
    20:45 local, 18:45 GMT, 19:45 IST

Sat 7 Quarter final: London Wasps v Biarritz, Adams Park, Wycombe
    12:30 local, 11:30 GMT, 12:30 IST

Sun 8 Quarter final: Brive v Scarlets, Stade Amedee-Domenech, Brive
    20:15 local, 18:15 GMT, 19:15 IST

I think Lanelli are a bit too far off the pace in the Rabo to challenge for a play off spot but getting to the Semi of the Amlin would be a good achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Morgan Parra is a doubt for Clermont this weekend, according to lequipe.fr, carrying a thigh injury. Took some part in training yesterday but was heavily strapped.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I didn't know he is only 23 he seems to have been around for a lot longer than what his age indicates.

I think the Saracens v Clermont QF is the hardest to call. Second in the Aviva Premiership against second in the Top 14 is the highest ranked/closest of all the games. I would say Clermont will win but their away record is appalling. It's sterotypical to say this but when you look at the games they've won away from home it backs it up completely.

11/12 Won away: Aironi. Lost away: Ulster and Leicester
    10/11 Won away: Saracens (this was the last game of the pool and Saracens were dead and buried along time previous to this) and La Rochelle in the Amlin QF. Lost away: Racing and Leinster in the HEC and Stade Francais in the Amlin.
    09/10 Won away: Viadana. Lost away: Ospreys and Leicester in the pool stage and Leinster in the QF
    08/09 Won away: zero. Lost away: Montauban, Munster, and Sale

So in 4 years they've in total P15 W4 L11 on the road. That's well below the average for the tournament and two of the teams they did beat were Italian!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I really really hope Saracens win so Leinster (providing they beat Cardiff) will get to play at Wembley again and hopefully repeat our win there in 2010

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm conflicted. From a purely rugby point of view I definitely want Saracens to win. Playing them in Wembley is an infinitely better prospect then playing Clermont in France.

On the other hand I really want a trip to France!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I really really hope Saracens win so Leinster (providing they beat Cardiff) will get to play at Wembley again and hopefully repeat our win there in 2010

I hope Saracens win so we don't have to go to Clermont or St Etienne and probably lose. Sarries lost at Wembley last weekend so they've had mixed results, I don't think Leinster would be overly worried about going there.

L'Equipe also reporting that Millo-Chluski is out and McAlister in doubt for the game against Edinburgh. I don't think it will help Embra's cause too much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

No doubt the biggest game this weekend from a Leinster point of view is a game that'll be happening in London on Sunday. :)

I'm of the same mindset - if we beat Cardiff, I'd much rather be facing Sarries away. A bit of revenge could be in order in regards to the international match up last month in Twickers. Also while I would love to go to St. Etienne and savor the atmosphere, it will be a far bit more pricey than making my way to London...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I didn't know he is only 23 he seems to have been around for a lot longer than what his age indicates.

I think the Saracens v Clermont QF is the hardest to call. Second in the Aviva Premiership against second in the Top 14 is the highest ranked/closest of all the games. I would say Clermont will win but their away record is appalling. It's sterotypical to say this but when you look at the games they've won away from home it backs it up completely.

10/11 Won away: Saracens (this was the last game of the pool and Saracens were dead and buried along time previous to this) and La Rochelle in the Amlin QF. Lost away: Racing and Leinster in the HEC and Stade Francais in the Amlin.
    09/10 Won away: Viadana. Lost away: Ospreys and Leicester in the pool stage and Leinster in the QF

So in 4 years they've in total P15 W4 L11 on the road. That's well below the average for the tournament and two of the teams they did beat were Italian!

Really good post, interesting reading.

Have to say I would definitely fancy a trip to Wembley a lot more than France. Not to say Saracens would be a walk over, but I'd certainly give us a better chance there.

Saracens lost in Wembley to Quins in their last outing also, so they're not in the best form coming in to the match, but hope they manage it and glad they're keeping the game in their regular home for this one.

It's going to be a really interesting weekend of rugby, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

CatFromHue wrote: »

the Sarries v Clermont game is the one that's troubling me for sportsguru, on paper Clermont should win by 8-10 points, whether they'll travel & now with Parra doubtful i wonder, although they've surely learned from the QF defeat to Leinster a few seasons back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Just watched last years final there again in anticipation of the weekend :D

unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm conflicted. From a purely rugby point of view I definitely want Saracens to win. Playing them in Wembley is an infinitely better prospect then playing Clermont in France.
    Ah sure what's there to worry about, Leinster haven't lost an away match in over 7 months. ;)

Just watched last years final there again in anticipation of the weekend :D

unreal
    Ha, I watched the 25 minute spell at the start of the second half last night too! Absolutely exhilarating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I used those 25 mins for an English lessons over here, teaching about Irish sport.

I explained the situation, the basic rules and named some of the players (10 = Sexton, 13 = BOD etc). I told them that it looked grim for 'the blue team' and the 'green team' were evil.

Looking at Japanese preteens jumping around the class, going crazy and shouting 'BOD BOD BOD!' when he made that break just before Sexton's first try was one of the strangest things I've ever seen in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

ray jay wrote: »
    Ha, I watched the 25 minute spell at the start of the second half last night too! Absolutely exhilarating.

Feck it. Im watching it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

You gotta watch the entire match, including the build up. Sky were in their element really, absolute drama unfolding live, in HD. I think I've rewatched that game about 8 times now, and just finished rewatching the entire season just before this season started. Epic. With the playoffs falling like this, it could be another epic year...

• Advertisement

I'm throwing this on tonight.

Not only the best Heineken Cup final ever, but one of the best and most dramtic games I've ever seen. The fact that Leinster were involved, and even came out the winning side, just makes it a massive, massive bonus!! :D

What a day.

I cried tears all around Cardiff.

met Lawrence Dallaligo in the pub about an hour later, he was an absolute and utter gentleman. Listened to be rabbit on for a bit. Told him that I used to think he was a bollox, he laughed and said that's what he wanted us all to think!

He said he was getting a few bottles for the train back to London, I assumed he was getting a fwe beers. Bought 12 bottles of wine from behind the bar, said his goodbyes and then tottered off to the train station!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

We actually could have/ should have had five tres in those 25 minutes. Absolutely sensational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

All this talk and I couldn't help myself.....

It's 4 am here and I'm watching it again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Meanwhile next years weekends confirmed

2012/13 HEINEKEN CUP AND AMLIN CHALLENGE CUP KEY DATES:

Round 1 - October 11/12/13/14,2012
    Round 2 - October 18/19/20/21, 2012
    Round 3 - December 6/7/8/9, 2012
    Round 4 - December 13/14/15/16, 2012
    Round 5 - January 10/11/12/13, 2013
    Round 6 - January 17/18/19/20, 2013
    Quarter-finals - April 4/5/6/7, 2013
    Semi-finals - April 26/27/28, 2013
    Finals - May 17/18/19, 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Did anyone notice Stuart Barnes getting quieter and quieter the further Leinster went ahead? By the time Leinster got their last score he was reduced to mumbles.

He was absolutely gutted for Northampton.

durkadurka wrote: »
    We actually could have/ should have had five tres in those 25 minutes. Absolutely sensational.
    This passage of play didn't result in a try but it's a definite highlight of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Going to watch the 2nd half now myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Is there anywhere that has the final including the sky build up etc?

• Advertisement

No question, THE moment of the final for me was when Leinster were 22 - 20 down and pulverised the Northampton scrum just inside their half, resulting in a penalty for Leinster to take the lead.

THAT was the moment I knew we had won. The comeback was complete, we were taking the lead, and we just took their greatest weapon, and shoved it up their arse.

Northampton were in the dressing room after that scrum and it was game over, even though we went on to score 13 points after it, they were beaten there and then with 25 minutes left to play.

Advertisement