Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug out bags

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ShadowFox wrote: »
    To be honest Ive better things to be charging from USB if power is hard to come by in a SHTF than charging a lighter. Matches, Flint and Steel, Bow Drill and Flint lighters, 9V battery and wire or steel wool will do me
    Hey, I was replying to your loudness comment!

The first USB lighter I linked has good life. If you only used it when really necessary it would last a long time, and because of the low battery capacity, charging is fast. Tbh imo, anything needing to be USB-charged is not really viable long-term SHTF gear.

Regarding flint lighters: as I said, when wet they just don't work, and can easily be fubared forever.

The home-made alternative to the USB lighter that I mentioned (i.e. battery and wire (even the element in a torch bulb with the glass broken) is very viable.

I agree that the improvised, non-electrical methods are the best skill to have.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I'll drag this old thread up again as my post doesn't really warrant a thread on its own.

Just added some cheap folding knives to our BOB's, nothing special, photos below and at €2.99 they are never going to be that great. I've no intention that they should replace a "real" knife but they are a cheap way of putting a sharp blade at low cost and low weight into a BOB that hopefully will never be used. They also have the safety of being lock blades and can be easily opened single handed. Probably use once or twice then throw away but better than no knife at all if you are really stuck.

293967.jpg

293974.jpg

293975.jpg

Later on if I replace any better knives with decent blades I can retire the old ones to the BOB's and chuck out these cheap ones.

Handles on these cheap knives are plastic and the blades are marked Stainless Steel not that that means much.

If you want to find these they were in the big hardware/builders merchants in Dungarvan on the counter, I suspect anywhere that has a good range of tools might have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I use the smaller keyring size of those with my fire steels they throw sparks a lot quicker and for less than a euro

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I have two of those knives, well, similar anyway but made by Stanley. Carbon steel blades and aluminium handles. Got the for our survival kits, very handy size and can take a great edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

If they're anything like the two that I've had for 10+ years they are surprisingly good considering the price.
    The belt clip won't last long so do not trust it.
    I'll drag this old thread up again as my post doesn't really warrant a thread on its own.

Just added some cheap folding knives to our BOB's, nothing special, photos

<snip>

• Advertisement
Advertisement