Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug out bags

Options
  • 29-10-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Ok. This one was bound to come up at some stage. Who has one and what's in it?

Anyone interested in a show and tell thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

I've considered putting one together before but imo Ireland is to small for bugging out to really be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Put it this way. If the SHTF and you're a commuter, let's say 50 miles from our home, how do you plan on getting back. You can be sure that the roads will block up quickly.

So you have a 3 to 3 day hike ahead of you. This would be more of a get home bag but the concept is the same: 3 days supplies to get you where you're going.

I' going to take it no sees the benefit of a bag full of what you need to survive in case of emergencies then?

Or is every one too shy to admit it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

I've nearly got one together but something always comes up. For ages that something was that it was the only decent bag I had for weekends away so stuff kept getting dumped out. Now I have another one I really should put it together finally. Maybe I'll make that my weekend project. Well, it's either that of file the mountain of paperwork I've been ignoring all year.

I do think it's important to have a bag that you can just grab and go with. I work about 2km away from home so don't worry too much about getting home if I needed to. But if something happened, say a fire or flood or anything that would involve me having to leave the house in a hurry, I want to have a bag ready with a few things that would just make things a bit easier.
    • Change of clothes
    • Several changes of underwear
    • Small first aid kit
    • Penknife/multitool
    • Small tupperware container with teabags
    • Small camping cup/stove (need to test this out and sort out fuel too)
    • Copy of passport (hopefully would at least have time to grab passport too)
    • Copy of contact details for important people, family, embassy and so on
    • Some cash (coins and notes) and a credit card
    • Some food - dried fruit and chocolate's about all at the mo
    • A couple of books
    • Few toiletries (soap, deodorant, toothbrush and paste, hairbrush)
    • Matches and a lighter plus a couple of candles

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Will post again next week if I actually get around to doing this.

Edited to add: water. Duh! Well, no water actually in the bag but there are always bottles nearby which I would grab on the way out.

Ok so. I'll start with a list and post a few pics if the thread picks up.

The purpose of the bag is to get me from my house to my home: they're very different. It's about a three day hike for a fit person.

Although this seems like a lot of gear the weight is very manageable.

The bag is a Maxpedition Condor II with a few extra MOLLE pouches on the outside.

Water:
    On the outside I have a US military canteen with steel cup and water purification tablets in the proper pouch.
    Also have a 2 litre hydration pack
    More water purification tablets in the pack itself

Knives and Tools
    Carbon steel Mora clipper
    Small folding knife
    Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe
    Small multi tool
    Folding shovel
    (I would like to add a folding saw soon)
    Falkkniven DC4

Navigation:
    Two compasses
    Map case with maps of the surrounding areas
    Small binoculars

Fire:
    Firesteel
    Windproof matches
    2 bic lighters
    Some wet fire tinder (this stuff is amazing)

Light:
    Small LED torch
    A few glow sticks

Clothes:
    Bandana
    Shemagh
    Hat
    Gloves
    Socks
    Underwear
    Rain poncho
    Gaitors
    Hiking boots beside the bag
    Whatever I'm wearing will do me for the hypothetical 3 day period

First aid kit:
    Wound dressings
    Elastic Bandage
    Burn Dressing
    Plasters
    Savlon
    Pain killers
    A few lemsips
    Anti histamines
    Tweezers
    Shears
    Gloves
    ...and all the usual first aid stuff

Food:
    Canned meat
    Instant noodles (these are more to addd flavor to stuff rather than actual nutrition)
    Tracker bars
    Chocolate: fruit and nut bars and dark chocolate
    Dried fruit bars
    Trail mix

Miscellaneous:
    Packs of tissues
    Wet wipes (never underestimate these)
    Permanent marker
    Pen
    Paper
    Small fishing kit
    Needles and threads
    200' of paracord
    Survival Blanket
    I have an ultralight sleeping bag attached
    Two part epoxy for repairs
    Tape

My phone has a GPS
    I always have ID
    I'll be carrying cash, but don't think I'll need it

I've probably left something out but this covers most eventualities and realistically, with a little scavenging and know how, one could survive for quite a while off of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hibrion.
    Can I ask... How much does all that weigh???:eek::D.
    Thats really pushing the limits of a BOB,you are looking at more a backpack survivalist.Have you gone out and tried climbing,jogging,running a burst and just not walking with the load???
    Mine
    I had to base it on being able to chuck it into a cargo hold piece of luggage and not weigh too much.
    I'll do a write up on it next week when I have some time,but t is suffice to say down to a fanny pack or multi pocket vest.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

haha.. I thought you might say that alright.

It's all modular, based on the MOLLE system and internal bags. So basically I take what i need for the situation/ time of year.

It actually doesn't weight that much. I can easily hike the length i need to with it. In fact I've hiked the rural route (minus about 5 miles) home with much more weight and it took three days.

My ultra light version can be pulled off the bag and put on a belt in a matter of seconds. Because it's all MOLLE or ALICE It can go on a very comfortable vietnam era belt and suspenders.

I tried the whole vest thing, but to be honest It's not for me.

I've also toyed with the idea of a Bug Out Bandolier based on a Swedish Mauser bandolier I have. I might mock that up and post a few pics too.

I'm interested to see what everyone else has done though. Post your bag as soon as you can, Grizzly, and lets get this thread going.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    I've considered putting one together before but imo Ireland is to small for bugging out to really be an option.

Give it a try. It doesn't have to be much and might come in useful someday. Cover the basics of fire, water, food and shelter by including the tools that will allow you to do this more easily in a push. First aid etc. you can add if and when you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

food wise a few cans of tuna, chocolate, nuts, teabags, sugar. Finding food is not a problem to me and as for the rest of them the only other one that will eat anything i hunt is my 4 yr old:rolleyes: the other 2 will have no choice if we need to get out:p.

Have 3 knives, 1 is a good fixed blade hunting knife, a folding knife opinal no7 and a multi tool also have a folding saw and wire saw. (want t get a machete or one of them special forces shovels)

fire starting material, steel and tinder.

water.

First aid kit, bandages, plasters, pain killers, antiseptic cream, water purificaton tablets, survival blanket

Big waterproof poncho and lots of paracord for shelter making

waterproofs and boots, always by the door for all.

Hunting, i have about 20 snares made and extra wire and paracord to make more if needed and most importantly i know how to use them

Fishing line about 200m and different size hooks

Prob could do with more but its enough for me for now anyway and i could survive for a good while with whats in it

EDIT: also have a copy of the SAS survival guide, have read it but handy to have and fits in your pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a modular system as well. I will throw up some pics at some point

Survival Tin:

I have two typical tobacco tin kits with some essentials and one of them is never far from me. One is a international flight friendly kit that just about gets through the security checks as I travel a lot with work.

General contents
    Bic mini lighter, fire steel, cotton wool, pen knife, saw blade, masking tape (around handle of saw blade), puri tabs, condoms, tampax, rubber glove, zip lock bag, compass, para cord, magnifying glass, fish kit (line, flies, hooks), selection of key rings, candle, mirror (polished lid), elastic bands, water proof matches, needle & thread, safety pins, wire saw

Survival Field Jacket

I have a jacket that has been discreetly modified that has some supplementary kit. This jacket gets through airport security no problem.

Contents
    Wire saw (in hood, replaced original wire), compass, additional buttons, thread, cotton wool, 1 oz gold, 200 dollars, 200 euros, 200 pounds, silk, silk maps, puri tabs, glow sticks

Belt kit

I call this my belt kit but it is in effect two small sized pouches

Water bottle, metal mug, beer can stove, meths, coffee (premix with sugar/whitener), survival blanket, medical kit, leatherman multi tool, kukuri, beef jerky, oats, water filtration kit, bic lighter, cotton wool, chili powder, head torch, glow sticks, shemagh, super glue, shoe laces

Bug out bag

Medical kit, canvas bucket, sleep roll, sleeping bag, wind up torch, wind up radio, calor gas stove (bluet), small camping pots, ammunition, 48hr rations (British army), socks, pants, change of clothes, pair of trainers (trail), shoe polish, shoe laces, Hi Vis vest, ordinance survey maps, spade, fold up water container, herbs and spices, machete, para cord, string, torches, poncho

Edit - Forgot my battle box

Battle box

This would be if I am moving by car, I have a large old ammo steel box that would be put in the car if I get a chance and it has all my "Gucci" nice to have kit

Maps, herbs and spices, seeds, additional food stuff, batteries, ammunition, glow sticks, spare radio, CB radio & aerial, pens, paper, books, tent, axe, vitamins, large med kit

Aide memoirs - House electrics, power generation, edible plants, recipes, nutrition guides

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have a "survival" tin with old lifejacket whistle, safety pins, magnifying lens, cotton wool & Vaseline tinder, brass wire, sewing kit, fire steel, IKEA pencil, a nine hour candle, a multi tool and probably a few other bits and bobs (must open it to recheck). This is the tin (clamps shut nice and tight) but I bought it without the contents.

In my (small) hiking bag I have the above plus a German army poncho, a load of para-chord, maps of the surrounding countryside and two compasses (a standard orienteering compass and a proper hand bearing compass), a good quality Helle knife, first aid kit, kuksa, a 1L s/s flask, a high vis vest, a maglite torch, trail mix (x2) and usually either a tarp or hammock for a bit of fun.

In my weekend bag then I generally transfer the above and then add a mat, sleeping bag, bivi bag, folding axe or hatchet, lapplander folding saw, either the swedish army trangia stove, hex stove or my hobo stove and billy cans. Warm clothes, waterproofs, toiletries, millbank bag, collapsible water bottle and food.

I then have a big muti week bag that carries all the above and more clothing.

I also have a box ready to be shifted into the car at short notice containing all sorts of camping equipment for comfortable sheltered living.

I also put together a winter car kit to either stay put or to abandon the car safely and walk home (traffic usually renders relatively shorts distances into hours of sitting and waiting).

To those who have a wire saw, have you used it in anger? Great in theory, pi$$ poor in practice. Give it a go now and again to make sure it's worth keeping.

krissovo how much ammohave you got for an emergency? Have been thinking of stocking up maybe a brick of each for the rifle and shotgun, that would be a hell of alot of hunting but the weight of a brick of cartridges for the shotgun and the size would be very awkward i reckon

krissovo how much ammohave you got for an emergency?

I am licensed for 2000 rounds, I wish I had a license for at least 5000;)

There is a brick in my bug out bag and the rest are in the safe. My next treat will be a shot gun, just need to find a couple of willing landowners in the area.

what cal rifle ya got?

what cal rifle ya got?

I have a Walther G22, it perfect for me after my experience of using the SA80 for the majority of my military career.

krissovo wrote: »
    I have a Walther G22, it perfect for me after my experience of using the SA80 for the majority of my military career.
    Mad loking rifle them walther G22, iv a cz 527 in .223 and a shotgun myself, have just bought a remmi 22 semi auto for my father for christmas and im gonna licence it myself, bunny harvisting machiene!

Mad loking rifle them walther G22, iv a cz 527 in .223 and a shotgun myself, have just bought a remmi 22 semi auto for my father for christmas and im gonna licence it myself, bunny harvisting machiene!

The CZ 527 may well be my next rifle unless I magic the money for a Tika T3 tactical. I am just trying to find a second landowner to sign off the paperwork.

I had a look at the remi .22 last week, same lines as a 10/22. I need something a bit more conventional for the club as my Walther gets disapproving looks.

The CZ 527 may well be my next rifle unless I magic the money for a Tika T3 tactical. I am just trying to find a second landowner to sign off the paperwork.

I had a look at the remi .22 last week, same lines as a 10/22. I need something a bit more conventional for the club as my Walther gets disapproving looks.
    T3 tactical is a very heavy rifle for hunting the T3 lite is the one to go for i think, the cz you could carry around all day in one hand!

Wouldn't worry about the disaproving looks lad its a nice piece of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I wouldn't so much call this a bugout bag as a grab and go kit for whenever I go on the ramble. I also have a secondary shoulder slung bag and a modular backpack for camping, both with sundry equipment like a Kelly Kettle, tent, sleeping bag, utility equipment and so on.

I would expect in the event of a serious problem to be able to rely on my friends, family and neighbours, these people are my real strength, and vice versa. If I ever have to count exclusively on this equipment, something has gone very wrong indeed, and I sincerely hope it never does.

p1010002gv.jpg

p1010003qiu.jpg

p1010005tt.jpg

So, these two molle pouches, high grade commercial, go on your belt. Contained within them is the following:
    Food bag:
    • Medical supplies
    • rubber gloves
    • water filter (good for around 6 weeks with charcoal, you need that for non bios)
    • bogroll
    • chocolate rations with salt, sugar, pepper and various other condiments
    • platypus water bag as part of the purification system (dirty water->platypus->filter->kelly kettle)
    • water purification tabs (wouldn't use these normally, but they came free with something)
    • 9 days emergency lifeboat rations if you're on the move, two weeks otherwise. They taste a bit like lemon meringue, and I cannot tell you how tired it is possible to get of lemon meringue, so I recommend mixing or crumbling them into coffee or something else after a while. Anything else. Seriously, you start looking speculatively at the moss growing on rocks.
    Utility bag:
    • Multitool
    • Cotton pads for firestarting
    • waterproof NATO matches in a sealed container
    • firesteel heavy
    • waterproof container for normal matches, with lighting strip
    • sapwood wrapped in tinfoil for kindling
    • a couple of bic lighters
    • a few commercial firestarter kindlings
    • tampons for firestarting purposes
    • a pencil stub
    • those three round things are towels packed really tightly
    • anti insect spray
    • superglue
    • three applejack sweets, my favourite
    • two plastic clips for sealing things
    • SAS survival guide, mostly good but some of it is nonsense, be advised
    • duct tape
    • a secondary water filter good for six weeks, with spare filters
    • dual purpose knife sharpener
    • roll of 550 paracord
    • roll of brass wire
    • fishing kit
    • wind up torch
    • storm whistle
    • dedicated signalling mirror with folded tinfoil packed beside it
    • sewing kit
    • compass
    • all weather emergency blanket
    • greased wiresaw wrapped in greaseproof paper wrapped in tissue

Not pictured, Brunton stormproof lighter which I use in my everyday routine. I'm thinking about adding some jerky as well. Oops forgot 36 hour Dunne stores candle, and spork. Also I'd normally pack vitamin pills at the top of the food bag, but they have a low shelf life so I just use them as I go.

Nice kit Doc, I like the pouches and I like the look of lifeboat rations. I have never had the pleasure to eat them and not sure I want too but they look really good.

I must upgrade my old 58 pattern pouches to MOLLE pouches. They look handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

no mention of an am-fm radio in any of the kits guys. esp the wind up ones that also have a flash light. entertainment can be important.

Also these bug out kits what possible senarios are they supposed to be used in or are they just stuff you carry along with you on hikes?

I can see how handy the water filteration kits would be as I have ran out of water on hikes before on a hot day it was quiet rough :o.

Depending on each person's scenario they will have different purposes. My large kit is designed for a 3 day hike cross country to get where I would need to get to if transport failed during an emergency.
    Personally, I wouldn't care for a radio in such a kit. I have quite a bit of weight in mine already. In my scenario there is no down time: all you're time and effort will be used to get where I need to be.

Mine is more of a "get home bag".

There are also grab bags. These are generally smaller and lads just pik them up and carry them along on excursions etc.

sheesh wrote: »
    no mention of an am-fm radio in any of the kits guys. esp the wind up ones that also have a flash light. entertainment can be important.
    I've one of those in the backpack, as well as walkie talkies, plus a lot of other stuff which I'm not unpacking to photograph. Maybe later! I go fishing on the lakes in the west and sometimes camp out overnight on secluded islands, plus I enjoy hiking.

Actually the lakes are an ideal example of a wilderness area where this stuff can come in handy. One time before there were cheap GPS units, I misjudged the hour and the sun had set on me before I got back to where I was going. Just like that I was surrounded by pitch darkness, and that was a scary moment. Thing about the lakes is you have these bottomless pits, holes with pike in them, and salted everywhere are shallow areas with jagged limestone just under the surface. You can't just go speeding along until you near a shore, you'll tear the bottom of the boat off, guaranteed. And you'll probably do it next to one of the pits. Actually now I think of it, the GPS wouldn't help much with that either since most of the lakes aren't properly mapped. Plenty of people have gone missing out that way.

Ever since then I've taken a cautious attitude towards preparation!

Nice kit Doc, I like the pouches and I like the look of lifeboat rations. I have never had the pleasure to eat them and not sure I want too but they look really good.

p1010001ea.jpg

That's how they look unpacked. The consistency is like firm shortbread with a sweet lemony taste. Each of those cubes is 400 calories, heavily dosed with vitamins and minerals as well, exceeding coast guard and SOLAS standards.

I'm not sure why they bother shrink wrapping them, I've had that open for over a year to see how it would last, being a big believer in crash testing all my equipment, sampling it from time to time, and its the same now as when I first opened it. I guess it is prepared in a similar manner to pemmican.

I wouldn't want to have to eat them for more than a few days, but they are surprisingly filling, I can just about get through three at a time or per day.

Now that I think about it, you know that stuff Frodo and Sam were eating in the Lord of the Rings? Lembas bread or something? This is it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

How come you git rid of the hmr? I have the CZ452 American in 17hmr and love it. Also have a 12G reading your posts I think I will try increase my ammo limit next time my licence is up. I only have 200 for the hmr and 250 for the 12g.

For those who have rifle and shotgun if you could only take one of them with you in a survival situation which would you take?

Odysseus wrote: »
    For those who have rifle and shotgun if you could only take one of them with you in a survival situation which would you take?
    Neither, my wits have proven superior in every situation to date, although I am conversant in the use and maintenance of most small arms and a couple of support weapons.

For me it would be a small bore rifle, they are quiet, inconspicuous, light weight, compact ammo and can take down anything with the right shot. There could be situations where a big noisy intimidating firearm would be required but I would prefer to be the "grey man".

I'd take the SxS shotgun if I had to have only one. It will put more food on the table than anything else can as it can be loaded to take anything from birds upwards.
    Half buckshot and half birdshot and you have an extremely versatile tool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[Mod]Ladies & Gentlemen, the topic being discussed is Bug Out Bags, please drop the discussion of firearms. Much appreciated. [/mod]

• Advertisement

How come you git rid of the hmr? I have the CZ452 American in 17hmr and love it. Also have a 12G reading your posts I think I will try increase my ammo limit next time my licence is up. I only have 200 for the hmr and 250 for the 12g.

Taken to PM

Advertisement