Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug out bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Odysseus wrote: »
    For those who have rifle and shotgun if you could only take one of them with you in a survival situation which would you take?

Pm'd

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

For a get home bag I carry a 15l back pack in this i have most basic items like
    Hexi stove 10 hexi blocks Storm matches Lighter flint and steel and .5l pot
    An MRE meal 2 packets of noodles 2 Yorkies packet of toffees Chewing Gum Smokes (I know i should give up) 2 500ml water ( I work in a couple of places so can pick up extra on the way if needed) 3in one Coffee and a couple of Breakfast bars
    Emergency phone charger head lamp extra batteries
    Rain leggings and Rain Poncho
    Long Johns and extra socks
    An Emergency heat sheet and similar type jacket
    Mora knife Duct tape Multi tool
    Basic first aid kit with headache tablets
    Gloves and a Snood and Glasses with changable lens

If I need to leave my house everyone has a backpack with
    3 days of clothes
    6 MREs Hexi stove and blocks chocolate sweets gum matches light flint and steel
    Rain Gear
    Headlamp torch emergency charger batteries wind up torch PMR radio FM Radio
    Emergency Heat Sheet / Sleeping bag
    Knife multi tool saw or axe
    first aid kit
    Tarp (just in case)
    and ive 2 dogs so we split their food
    Ill do a more complete list during the week as ill be changing it out as the weather is getting colder

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Good call on the duck tape, easily overlooked but very useful.

grapeape wrote: »
    For a get home bag I carry a 15l back pack in this i have most basic items like
    Hexi stove 10 hexi blocks Storm matches Lighter flint and steel and .5l pot
    An MRE meal 2 packets of noodles 2 Yorkies packet of toffees Chewing Gum Smokes (I know i should give up) 2 500ml water ( I work in a couple of places so can pick up extra on the way if needed) 3in one Coffee and a couple of Breakfast bars
    Emergency phone charger head lamp extra batteries
    Rain leggings and Rain Poncho
    Long Johns and extra socks
    An Emergency heat sheet and similar type jacket
    Mora knife Duct tape Multi tool
    Basic first aid kit with headache tablets
    Gloves and a Snood and Glasses with changable lens
    Just an up date on the above
    Wet wipes X 25
    Tissues X2
    Snaplight X2 1X White 1X Red
    Tablet towels X13
    Heat Sheet X1
    Milar Jacket X1
    Duct Tape X1
    Paracord X75ft
    Headlamp X1
    Led Lenser P2 X1
    Nalgene Bottle 500ml X1
    Cadet Cup 440ml X1
    .5l Camping pot X1
    Hexi Stove X1 + 10 Hexi Blocks
    Folding Cup X2
    Cigerettes X40
    Chocolate Bars X2
    Cuppa Soup X2
    3in1 Coffee X4 + extra sugar and UHT milk
    Tesco Curry Noodles X2
    Chicken Curry MRE X1
    Spork X1
    Fire steel X1 + Storm Matches + Lighter
    Mora Knife X1
    AM/FM/SW Radio X1
    Phone Charger X1
    N95 Masks X2
    Extra Batteries
    Rain Suit X1
    SOS Glasses X1
    Extra Cash

IMAG0114.jpg
    If You think of anything I forgot please let me know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

3in1 Coffee X4 + extra sugar and UHF milk

This will keep you buzzing at a higher frequency than the VHF milk and you don't need such a long spoon to stir it effectively

eth0 wrote: »
    This will keep you buzzing at a higher frequency than the VHF milk and you don't need such a long spoon to stir it effectively
    Oh hell yeah lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Just an up date on the above

Tablet towels X13

Nalgene Bottle 500ml X1
    Cadet Cup 440ml X1
    .5l Camping pot X1
    Cigerettes X40

Spork X1

IMAG0114.jpg
    If You think of anything I forgot please let me know

WTF is a tablet towel, looks genius. Just just you-tubed it and not that wiser for it. Personally I use an old british army sweat rag for a towel which folds up to nothing and is light and drys in no time. These tabs look interesting, could they actually dry you?

Your Nalgene bottle, is it filtered? Whats it like to drink from?

Cups and pots - The setup works well for you no doubt but I always advise trade the pot and cups a metal mug. You can do everything you need in a metal mug, two if your posh and want a brew with your dinner.

Cigarettes - Good call, for the same weight you could pack a tin of tobacco and papers and smoke for a week. I have tobacco and papers sewn into my "survival jacket" as well. I think at a push I could get 3 weeks. Only downside is that its tough with wet or cold hands to roll a fag.

Spork - Your spork looks great, I want one. Where did you get it?

krissovo wrote: »
    WTF is a tablet towel, looks genius. Just just you-tubed it and not that wiser for it. Personally I use an old british army sweat rag for a towel which folds up to nothing and is light and drys in no time. These tabs look interesting, could they actually dry you?

Your Nalgene bottle, is it filtered? Whats it like to drink from?

Cups and pots - The setup works well for you no doubt but I always advise trade the pot and cups a metal mug. You can do everything you need in a metal mug, two if your posh and want a brew with your dinner.

Cigarettes - Good call, for the same weight you could pack a tin of tobacco and papers and smoke for a week. I have tobacco and papers sewn into my "survival jacket" as well. I think at a push I could get 3 weeks. Only downside is that its tough with wet or cold hands to roll a fag.

Spork - Your spork looks great, I want one. Where did you get it?

The tablet towels are like mini compact J cloths you put them in 2 capfuls of water and they expand they are ideal for cleaning you or your kit with minimum water

The reason I use the .5l pot is its smaller than a mess tin and the noodles or mre fit perfect in it
    The cadet cup holds water hot for about 8 hours and you get 2 and a half of the folding cups from it I have metal cups but the pot is a good all rounder

The nalgene bottle doesnt have a filter I do carry a Aquamira Frontier Pro (forgot to add it ) Its good to drink out of you can get filters for the bigger ones and differant caps I use this as storage too my 3in1 coffee UHT milk and sugar are stored in it

Cigarettes I cant hand roll with tabbaco and papers thats why I carry ready mades

Sporks are great id advise gettint the titanium one as the plastic ones do break easy its less than €15 on ebay (as with most other things I carry)

This bag is my "Get Home Bag" I have a much larger "Bug out Bag" that im in the middle of rekitting at the moment Ill put up pictures and kit list before the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Doc Rugby, where'd you get the life-boat rations? They look dead handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The nalgene bottle doesnt have a filter I do carry a Aquamira Frontier Pro (forgot to add it ) Its good to drink out of you can get filters for the bigger ones and differant caps I use this as storage too my 3in1 coffee UHT milk and sugar are stored in it
    There've been a lot of rumours about nalgene being toxic going around recently...
    I've dealt with many companies down the years, in the UK, Ireland and the US, but my go-to guys at the minute are Red Flare Kits. They don't do the aquamira stuff but everything else, yeah. Check the local great outdoors first though, they have some surprising stock.

www.nitropak.com

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Here too
    http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/OceanSafety_Barley_Sugar_Rations/

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/food_rations_/

Out of date however!

you can get the sea rations here too
    http://www.seairsoft.net/product_details.php?id=1496&sub=163&subcat=MRE%27s
    and other MREs

Just been killing time looking at youtube this guy tested lighters at -2.7C and a lot of the butane ones didnt work thought this the best place to post it as nearly all of us have them in our bags
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yp_lcKWqTsA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

That's very interesting. I've been thinking of getting a zippo for a while, but I always seem to have another buy that takes priority leaving the zippo to be forgotten about again.

Hibrion wrote: »
    That's very interesting. I've been thinking of getting a zippo for a while, but I always seem to have another buy that takes priority leaving the zippo to be forgotten about again.
    Check out ebay I bought one for work (bog basic) early in the year for €15 shipped brand new :D
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ZIPPO-SATIN-CHROME-LIGHTER-GENUINE-BRAND-NEW-/360412696510?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item53ea454fbe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i have 6 zippos
    but a butane bic in my go bag

thanks

Tigger wrote: »
    i have 6 zippos
    but a butane bic in my go bag

thanks
    Im the same zippo in my pocket butane was in my pack from now on im gonna look for a mini hip flask fill it with fuel and tape extra wick and flints to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

Im the same zippo in my pocket butane was in my pack from now on im gonna look for a mini hip flask fill it with fuel and tape extra wick and flints to it

Just hold the butane lighter in your hand for a couple of minutes before you use it? What is the big deal here?

• Advertisement

Just hold the butane lighter in your hand for a couple of minutes before you use it? What is the big deal here?
    The big deal is If its -4 or lower your soaked to the skin and you need to light a fire you may not have a couple of minutes to hold the butane lighter tenderly before you freeze to death

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

I like zippos but the fuel soesnt last p*ssing time in them, I've found IMCO lighters to be a much better bet, and a good bit cheaper

http://www.imco.at/en/produkte/benzinfeuerzeuge

kieranfitz wrote: »
    I like zippos but the fuel soesnt last p*ssing time in them, I've found IMCO lighters to be a much better bet, and a good bit cheaper

http://www.imco.at/en/produkte/benzinfeuerzeuge
    I got a couple of these as free gifts from buying from the same person on line and for a test i filled one of these and a zippo lit them once a day to see which held fuel the longest Sorry to say but the zippo won I got an extra 12 lights out of the zippo

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

I got a couple of these as free gifts from buying from the same person on line and for a test i filled one of these and a zippo lit them once a day to see which held fuel the longest Sorry to say but the zippo won I got an extra 12 lights out of the zippo

Really? I've had zippos that needed filling every few days where as its weeks for my imco. And not using them for cigarettes either

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Really? I've had zippos that needed filling every few days where as its weeks for my imco. And not using them for cigarettes either
    I did get my imco for free maybe its a dud but ill fuel the other one and a new zippo tomorrow to keep it fair and let you know which lasts the longest

Either Windmill or Turboflame lighters for me.Mini blowtorches those yokes .I've gone the gamut of every lighter,as all my work colleuges smoke and are always bumming lights and lighters of me,so FWIW.

Zippos.
    Classy but outdated.Dont hold fuel worth pissing time,are hopeless if they get wet.Even when dried thouorghly they never seem to work right again.A messing and fustration somtimes to get the wick to burn right.Uncontrollable flame,from massive when full,to tiny when running out.
    Not allowed[still] on some airlines.
    Plus side.
    Are built very well,[excluding copies] ,can run on supposedly most flammable liquids,have tried meths,will work more or less,petrol,[dangerous]and average,

Best solution.LOTS of BIC lighters.Cheap ,no biggie if lost,work 95% of the time,[can be used as a distraction device of the bANG variety...OOpppsss cant talk about that!:p].Even if empty ,can be still used as a makeshift flint & steel spark generator.Can fail under -4 alright,so keep it warm in your shirt pocket or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

1) Picnic basket with chicken rolls and flask of hot water, teabags, milk and sugar.
    2) Blanket for sitting on
    3) Book, something by PG Wodehouse
    4) Togs and towel for if I felt like a dip
    5) Loose change for a 99 on the way home if it all turns out to be a false alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Perhaps this is not applicable to some of you, but anyone who is female or is packing for a female should consider the below items:

Sheewee - a plastic funnel which allows them to pee standing up and without removing trousers (same as a man). Very useful for cold / open spaces / places where you may have to run/flee at any moment.

Sanitary items - tampons etc. suggest a diva cup (not for the squeamish) but reusable.

Sometimes people do not consider how extremely useful these things are for your partner / child etc.

Also want to suggest a small sharpening stone to ensure your knife , axe etc do not dull down and become useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Sanitary items - tampons etc
    Also make brilliant tinder, I've a few in the pack just for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Also make brilliant tinder, I've a few in the pack just for that reason.

soek them with green diesel?

Advertisement