Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug out bags

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Browsing through stuff on amazon.co.uk spotted these Lifeboat rations in case anyone is interested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Browsing through stuff on amazon.co.uk spotted these Lifeboat rations in case anyone is interested.

Items: GBP 5.98
    Postage & Packing: GBP 6.00
    Order Total: GBP 11.98

(Payment Total: EUR 15,51**)

That's a real shame as the price is good.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Items: GBP 5.98
    Postage & Packing: GBP 6.00
    Order Total: GBP 11.98

(Payment Total: EUR 15,51**)

That's a real shame as the price is good.

I took that into account when I didn't order them ;) but thought someone might still be interested and it gives a brand name and other details if anyone wants to search the net for another supplier.

Edit> Manufacture is here but guess they only sell by the pallet load (1320units) but again a useful link as if you look around the site you'll find some other ration packs that might be worth searching out.

Its a little better for 10 from amazon

Items: £59.80
    Postage & Packing: £19.47
    Order Total: £79.27

So more like 10 or 11 euro a pack..... has me thinking

Out of idle curiosity I checked out Ebay.ie for Lifeboat rations and guess what I found, same company selling the same item but much more favourable p&p terms.

Item: £5.21 ( Seven Oceans Long-Life Liferaft Survival Ration Biscuit)

Postage and packaging £3.27 Each additional item Free

The difference seems to be the Amazon stock is minimum 4.5 years life and the eBay stock is just under 4 year life.

I've left the prices in UK pounds as the exchange rate is a bit variable atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Out of idle curiosity I checked out Ebay.ie for Lifeboat rations and guess what I found, same company selling the same item but much more favourable p&p terms.

Item: £5.21 ( Seven Oceans Long-Life Liferaft Survival Ration Biscuit)

Postage and packaging £3.27 Each additional item Free

The difference seems to be the Amazon stock is minimum 4.5 years life and the eBay stock is just under 4 year life.

I've left the prices in UK pounds as the exchange rate is a bit variable atm.

I used these for a 2 day camping trip last summer I will say they kept me going no hunger pains or anything but i couldnt wait to get real food into me when i got back I have a few days supply of these for each bag but I would have to be really out of everything else before id use them long term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Tesco have a leather and canvas glove reduced from E2.75 to E1.75 in the gardening section..
    Seem fairly heavy duty and handy for the bug out bag.
    Would help prevent blisters if chopping wood or digging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

wolfeye wrote: »
    Would help prevent blisters if chopping wood or digging etc.

Speaking of blisters, electrical/insulation tape is great for them (won't heal them or anything, just takes a lot of the discomfort away). Got that tip from hill walking, wrap some around an old credit card if a full roll is too much. Used it in anger walking and it works, soon as heel or where ever starts feeling raw, dry the area, apply tape, back in action. Used more today on my fingers while hand shearing, had blisters from yesterday, put on some tape before starting today and no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Lidl have a Mosquito and insect repellent pump spray 120ml for E1.99 .
    It contains 30% Deet.
    Handy to have in the bag for the occasion one is attacked by the midges!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

I'd definitely have one of these in my bob. 15 years of battery life and 10 hours talk time, handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I'd definitely have one of these in my bob. 15 years of battery life and 10 hours talk time, handy.
    To me thats very pricey. You could buy a cheap nokia for less than half that and it will do the same job. Granted the battery life prob wont be 15 years but it will last a few if its not connected id say

aaakev wrote: »
    To me thats very pricey. You could buy a cheap nokia for less than half that and it will do the same job. Granted the battery life prob wont be 15 years but it will last a few if its not connected id say
    I agree the price is a bit high at the moment hopefully it will come down abit as you say a cheap 2nd hand nokia and a AA emergency charger would only cost about €30 to €35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Something with text reading capacity is preferable to that phone. My old Nokia N95, battery last days (I have 2 spares) so I am sorted. Has basic internet connectivity, GPS etc.

grapeape wrote: »
    I agree the price is a bit high at the moment hopefully it will come down abit as you say a cheap 2nd hand nokia and a AA emergency charger would only cost about €30 to €35
    Just a quick up date on this I bought a nokia 3310 for my bag but when i took my meteor sim card out of my HTC wildfire and put it in to the 3310 it wouldnt work i tried an o2 and vodafone sim and neither worked so i asked in the local carphone warehouse and was informed that new sim cards are 3g the old nokia 3310 is 2g so the sims wont work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

grapeape wrote: »
    Just a quick up date on this I bought a nokia 3310 for my bag but when i took my meteor sim card out of my HTC wildfire and put it in to the 3310 it wouldnt work i tried an o2 and vodafone sim and neither worked so i asked in the local carphone warehouse and was informed that new sim cards are 3g the old nokia 3310 is 2g so the sims wont work :(

Good thing you tested it out first. There is an important lesson there for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Anybody see the Mark Thomas program Secret Map Of Britain from a few years ago?

Essentially, if there's a serious public disturbance, the police can block mobile phone signals. Like they did at Aintree when there was an IRA bomb scare at the Grand National.
    It was recommended that people should use public phones.

If you were Jason Bourne, for example, you'd want to ditch the mobile phone/ tracking device.

My BOB is very similar to the one in Lofty Wiseman's survival handbook. Though, I believe staying in the community is a better option in almost every case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    Though, I believe staying in the community is a better option in almost every case.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Added a sharpening stone to mine. Seemed handy

I was watching the latest episode of Doomsday Preppers on line the other night and one thing got me thinking My bug out bag is a 120lt bergan and where i dont have a problem carrying the 30kg ive packed into it it would be very hard to fight with that extra weight on my back if i was jumped from behind So for me over the next few weeks / months im really going to look and down sizing my bag and changing my route so i can restock on the way rather than carry everything at once I hope to reduce it to a 45lt pack at the most with 10 to 15kgs in it. Now to figure out what i can take out and what ill need for each stage of a new route

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

Sorry if this has been asked before.

How are people approaching the weapons issue. Obviously in Ireland we cant get our hands readily on firearms - can anyone suggest a reasonable alternative.

I've a hunting knife, and a bow. Any other suggestions that Ive over looked?

Cojack101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

cojack101 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before.

How are people approaching the weapons issue. Obviously in Ireland we cant get our hands readily on firearms - can anyone suggest a reasonable alternative.

I've a hunting knife, and a bow. Any other suggestions that Ive over looked?

Cojack101

Your mind. Any object can be used as an adapted weapon.
    A walking stick, hiking pole, sling shot & catapult.
    Your sock with a stone can become a makeshift mace.
    A bootlace a garrote.
    You get my drift. ;)

Take up hunting....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

Your mind. Any object can be used as an adapted weapon.
    A walking stick, hiking pole, sling shot & catapult.
    Your sock with a stone can become a makeshift mace.
    A bootlace a garrote.
    You get my drift. ;)

I'd prefer to avoid close quarters if possible. I'm a strong guy, and I'm pretty sure I'd win, but no one comes away from hand to hand uninjured. If I break a finger, get a concussion or a laceration - septicemia or fever would seriously lower my chances, even with the antibiotics I have stocked.

I'm thinking taking up hunting and having a rifle, even a .22 would be my best option. I'd rather intimate and discourage confrontation than risk having to hold up with shock or infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

Make and practice ,using a slingshot and a sling. Both of these served well for centuries. <snip>

Remember the old wisdom The more you know, the less you need to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Can't talk about guns lads.

<snip>
    Defo do not do this or you will find yourself landed in court for being in posetion of an illegal firearm if someone found out. Not to mention you will ruin it for hunting...

Had a power cut in my area last night didnt last too long but as I was upstairs getting some supplies just in case the other half was lighting candles downstairs using an electronic lighter I was amazed how noisy it was with the click. Needless to say all lighters in my bug out bags will be the non electronic ones from now on. Dont need something as silly as that giving you away if your sheltering in an old building

• Registered Users Posts: 6 megandev

Hi,

I am interested in making a short documentary which centers around the idea of a bug out bag. The documentary is based on an assignment which has to centre around the contents of peoples bags. Myself and my partner would like to centre our documentary on the contents of a bug out bag.

We would be very grateful if anyone could provide us with any information on bug out bags.

We are also looking for any prepper who has a bug out bag who would be willing to participate in our documentary and go through the contents of the their bag on camera for the documentary.

Many thanks,

Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The post above is an odd way for this thread to be re-activated, but anyway...
    ShadowFox wrote: »
    Had a power cut in my area last night didnt last too long but as I was upstairs getting some supplies just in case the other half was lighting candles downstairs using an electronic lighter I was amazed how noisy it was with the click. Needless to say all lighters in my bug out bags will be the non electronic ones from now on. Dont need something as silly as that giving you away if your sheltering in an old building
    The piezo click is definitely very loud. However, pack a few for the times that noise is not an issue. The older flint types can be fubared by exposure to damp for one thing. USB rechargeable ones can be almost totally silent. They do not produce a flame. They work like a miniature cigarette lighter in a car i.e. they cause a coil of wire to glow red hot.

This type is good. This one failed (internal contacts).

The mechanism could easily be replicated using any low-powered electricity source and some high?-resistance wire though.

If you find yourself with only a piezo-type lighter, it might be possible to muffle the sound using some type of physical baffle. Even the flint/wheel lighter can be audible though...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    The post above is an odd way for this thread to be re-activated, but anyway...

The piezo click is definitely very loud. However, pack a few for the times that noise is not an issue. The older flint types can be fubared by exposure to damp for one thing. USB rechargeable ones can be almost totally silent. They do not produce a flame. They work like a miniature cigarette lighter in a car i.e. they cause a coil of wire to glow red hot.

This type is good. This one failed (internal contacts).

The mechanism could easily be replicated using any low-powered electricity source and some high?-resistance wire though.

If you find yourself with only a piezo-type lighter, it might be possible to muffle the sound using some type of physical baffle. Even the flint/wheel lighter can be audible though...
    To be honest Ive better things to be charging from USB if power is hard to come by in a SHTF than charging a lighter. Matches, Flint and Steel, Bow Drill and Flint lighters, 9V battery and wire or steel wool will do me

Advertisement