Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug out bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

eth0 wrote: »
    soek them with green diesel?
    Hahah, vaseline is better tbh, or just fluff them up, they take a spark like nobody's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

My bag is intended as a get-home bag, but depending on weather conditions that could take 2 - 5 days.

2 x 2lt water
    3 x instant noodles
    6 x cereal bars
    5 x tea bags
    5 x sachet uht long-life milk
    2 x tin salmon
    2 x tin beans
    1 x chocolate bar

2 x mess tins
    1 x folding cooking stove
    1 x gas canister
    2 x brillo pads (cleaning + starting fire with battery)
    1 x aluminium 1lt water bottle (always with me)
    1 x led lenser p3
    1 x pack of batteries
    1 x 12hr candle
    1 x box waterproof matches
    1 x bic lighter
    1 x box tampons
    1 x tub vaseline
    1 x sheewee
    1 x combi-blade knife
    1 x bivvi-bag
    1 x mylar blanket
    10 x bin bags
    1 x tarpaulin
    1 x rope
    1 x duct tape
    1 x emergency rain poncho
    1 x water purification tablets
    1 x compass

1x first aid kit (+ built in torch)
    1 x jumper
    1 x trousers
    4 x socks
    2 x underwear
    1 x top

cash
    contact numbers
    copy of passport

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Also make brilliant tinder, I've a few in the pack just for that reason.

Excellent also for soaking up blood from a deep cut (e.g. axe or knife slip etc.). A valuable part of many FAKs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Thats a decent kit Evilmonkee and will work very well, I have a few thoughts if you dont mind me typing:
    evilmonkee wrote: »
    My bag is intended as a get-home bag, but depending on weather conditions that could take 2 - 5 days.

1 x tarpaulin

The challenge with a tarp in ireland is the lack of trees in a lot of areas (seriously), may I suggest some form of pole(s) in your kit for your tarp to be really comfy? How about hiking poles or even just some pre cut branches strapped to the side with bungies. Trust me, when you really need them you will not be able to rope your tarp (or poncho) when you most need it. A great substitute is a goretex bivi but expensive, you have bivi listed is it Goretex? If so along with your poncho may be overkill.

1 x emergency rain poncho

To me if you have this get rid of the tarp, no need for both especially with a bivi. The US style poncho makes a great "basha" and will keep you dry when walking or camped.
    1x first aid kit (+ built in torch)

Tell me more...... Sounds mad!
    1 x sheewee

Hehe, would work for men in the cold as well;)
    1 x rope

Swap for paracord

How about adding some glow sticks, a candle is great but with Irish wind glow sticks are the best for "camp light".

krissovo wrote: »
    you have bivi listed is it Goretex? If so along with your poncho may be overkill..
    It is indeed made of gortex, the poncho is intended for while I'm on the move. Luckily I've never been in a situation when I really needed my bivvi, but I've used the poncho many times.
    To me if you have this get rid of the tarp, no need for both especially with a bivi. The US style poncho makes a great "basha" and will keep you dry when walking or camped.
    I must look into that, it could be a very good solution to save a bit of space. I have been considering getting a two man storm shelter instead of the tarp, but the bright orange colour has put me off as if it was necessary to stay moderately hidden.. well, bright orange isn't the best!

I'll take a picture of the FAK tomorrow, its a hard plastic shell, completely waterproof, which has a built in torch. Torch is powered by 4 AA batteries, with replacement bulb built into the housing. Its small but when packed well it holds all the essentials.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

evilmonkee wrote: »
    I must look into that, it could be a very good solution to save a bit of space. I have been considering getting a two man storm shelter instead of the tarp, but the bright orange colour has put me off as if it was necessary to stay moderately hidden.. well, bright orange isn't the best!

I've never seen the US ponchos but I have a German surplus one and it's excellent. Here's how to use the poncho as a tarp (one man only and not particularly roomy)

ponchoshelter.gif

And in action here (not my photo)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trailie/3005345472/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

I have a modular system as well. I will throw up some pics at some point

Survival Tin:

I have two typical tobacco tin kits with some essentials and one of them is never far from me. One is a international flight friendly kit that just about gets through the security checks as I travel a lot with work.

General contents
    Bic mini lighter, fire steel, cotton wool, pen knife, saw blade, masking tape (around handle of saw blade), puri tabs, condoms, tampax, rubber glove, zip lock bag, compass, para cord, magnifying glass, fish kit (line, flies, hooks), selection of key rings, candle, mirror (polished lid), elastic bands, water proof matches, needle & thread, safety pins, wire saw

Any pics yet krissovo? I'd like to see what you get through (in)security with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Has anyone bought a pre made bug out bag off the web?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I dont think they are worth the money as you can buy the same items yourself for half the price

Why pay some schmuck to gather a load of inferior pieces together that appeals to the widest audience possible? Buy the bag and the gear you need instead. Just take a look at the "survival" tins to see how poor they are. Imagine the cost of an entire BOB!
    That would be a no then
    ;)

• Advertisement

Any pics yet krissovo? I'd like to see what you get through (in)security with.

I will put up pics in next couple of days as I am repacking it all tomorrow.

I have not found a decent one yet plus we all have our own needs. Much of the gear in them is very poor so its much better to build up the components your self after seeing and feeling it. Much of mine is from Lidl;)

I repacked my survival tin this morning so here are the pics.

The tin is a old tobacco tin which once had old holburn in it. I have sealed mine with some electrical insulation tape. Inside the lid is highly polished so I can use for signaling. The way its packed means that there is no rattle, its a throw back from my military days but means I can run around silently.

6628125285_797b5f0bc3.jpg
    Survival tin by krissovo, on Flickr

As soon as I open the tin the whole thing explodes out as its very tightly packed.

6628127153_e64b6e311e.jpg
    Survival tin open by krissovo, on Flickr

Here is the gear:

6628263511_abcc6993ba.jpg
    survival tin display1 by krissovo, on Flickr

1 - Tobacco tin, polished inner lid, sealed
    2 - Lighter disposable, I am looking to get more mini bic as this one is huge
    3 - Fire Steel
    4 - Tin Foil, 1.5 meters x 0.5. So many uses
    5 - Codine Tablets, Pain killers very strong
    6 - Candle, This is a normal small round candle that I have cut square so it can fit better in the tin
    7 - Lemsip, mild pain killer and morale boosting warm drink
    8 - Cotton pad infused with a little Vaseline, can be tinder or wound dressing. I find pads more useful than cotton balls.
    9 - Whistle and pencil, forgot to label pencil but whistle is self explanatory. Ikea pencil has multiple uses.
    10 - Key rings, very handy bit of kit can be used with wire saw or as triggers in traps. If very cold attach them to your zips so you open with cold fingers or with gloves.
    11 - Button compass
    12 - Wire saw, mine is soaked in a little 3 in 1 oil. These can break easily if over heated in use so be patient when using and lubricate with Vaseline or water and you should get good use out of them. Spend a few euro on a decent one and add extra crimps to the rings as it should be reliable.
    13 - Safety pins, scalpel, tampax, magnifying glass, elastic bands
    14 - Sewing kit, got most of this from a hotel but added some tougher needles. Can sew canvas & jeans with one of them.
    15 - Alcohol wipes
    16 - Water puri tabs
    17 - Fishing kit, 8lb line with various hooks, swivels and weights.
    18 - Rubber glove, can be used with a sock or similar as a water carrier like a condom
    19 - Stanley knife blade, I have used a breakable type one here
    20 - Fine hacksaw blade, just snapped a standard blade to size
    21 - Ear plugs, useful if I need to sleep above zombies ;) or if I need to use my firearm. Can be used to plug wounds, holes
    22 - Wire
    23 - Knife

I will put up my "Belt kit" in the next day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

That's one well organised kit Kriss. Its amazing how many useful things can fit into a small space. What are the dimensions of the tin?

Its 11cm x 8cm and 3cm deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

brilliant.thanks for sharing that. I'm trying to built some carry kits and bags at the moment and have got some great ideas from your already.

One thing I picked up on one fo the sites that i liked was scanning important docs. and saving on a memory key. I think thats a good idea, and could also put contact emergency details and stuff on.

Thanks krissovo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Definitely a great little kit to have Krissovo.
    You can buy similar (but not as good) tins online, but I prefer the idea of prepping one myself.
    Must get on to doing this myself.

I got this tin as it snaps/locks shut, but they also have the traditional tobacco tin too

Good online shop BTW (no connection, satisfied customer etc.)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I got this tin as it snaps/locks shut,

Thats similar to my sealable mess tin that I got for christmas.

6628134875_d515d55ee4.jpg
    mess tin open by krissovo, on Flickr

I am undecided what to use it for as I dont think it will take much wear and tear. It will probably end up in my camper van as a big survival tin.

Thats similar to my sealable mess tin that I got for christmas.

6628134875_d515d55ee4.jpg
    mess tin open by krissovo, on Flickr

I am undecided what to use it for as I dont think it will take much wear and tear. It will probably end up in my camper van as a big survival tin.
    I was thinking of getting one of these mess tins to have in the bottem of my work bag as a last ditch kit but if it wont take much abuse im unsure now

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay! My phone broke and then I completely forgot about this thread until today.

As requested my first aid kit, the lucozade bottle is the standard 380ml one.

Ok here is what I call my belt kit, ok its no longer on a belt and its has grown slightly into a backpack but its part of my strategy to not look military anymore. I could happily survive for 3 to 4 days fairly comfotably with this gear and with the addition of my sleeping module indefinately.

I also wanted to highlight that most the gear is very cheap or even free with a few select choices where I have splashed out a fair amount of money for good quality gear.

Disclaimer - This is kit that works for me and with my experience I am confident it will sustain me, it may not work for you. The kit is also supported by 2 knives but I have made the choice not to show them. These contain paracord lanyards, additional firesteel and a decent prism compass.

6672770299_d839dc1576_z.jpg
    Belt kit 2 by krissovo, on Flickr

Ok to explain:

1 - Berghaus Goretex jacket - Not normally packed in the bag but I always have it with me. It cost 7 years ago about £250 but it has lasted very well and I wear no other jacket. I can wear it over my suit for business meetingsm down the pub and even when I escape to the great outdoors! It is a truely versatile jacket and well worth the expence.

2 - 2ltr Hydration pack - I got this for christmas, a very nice piece of kit but also limited at the same time. Great for when you are on the move to suck away on the drinking tube but a bit of a nightmare as I found out for any camp activities. My bergan has a pouch that this sits nicely into and I can clip the drinking tube to webbing on the shoulder straps. I need at least a 2tlr pack as I sweat heavily with any activity and need the additional water. Cost about €15 but not worth it in my opinion.

3 .7 ltr water bootle - As said the hydration system is limited, I was going to include my ex BA issue water bottle but then thought there was no need. I hate the taste from military bottles and I will only use this water for cooking or collecting water. Cost about €1 ;)

4 24 hr Rations - Details in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056457816 . In my belt kit I used to have small bits of food. There are over 4000 calories in this kit so they could last 3 to 5 days depending on the activities. Cost about €5.

5 Shemagh - Dont leave home without one, they can keep you cool, they can keep you warm, they can keep sun off you, they can be used as bandages........and so on. I discovered shemaghs and there versatility like the rest of the western world during Gulf War 1. Since the troops discovered how useful they are they have been part of the fighting order since in the BA and even the US. Cost range €3 to €10.

6 Gloves two pair, a work glove leather outer and a thinsulate inner. Cost €12.

7 Rain poncho I was given this at a recent match in limerick, its the same quality that you buy in shops and does a decent job. I would use this as a water proof layer in a improvised shelter or even as rain jacket. Cost €0

8 First aid kit Got this in lidl or aldi and added some meds, pain killers, anti histamine and steri strips. Also added triangular and field dressings. Cost €4 for the kit and €12 for additional items.

9 Hand sanitiser Again aldi for less than a €1

10 Torches 1 decent LED and one cheap wind up LED that does the job, I only carry 1 additional set of batteries for the torch. Cost wind up €4 and LED €40

11 Coil of 3 core wire

12 6 inch nails Not normal nails as they are heavy but I use express nails. Just as useful and just as strong for pegs etc.

13 6" adjustable spanner This one is rubberised

14 Reversable Screw driver - Have you ever tried fixing something with a multitool? It can be a nightmare thats why I have the real thing.

15 Racing spoon Its a wooden spoon I use for cooking and eating.

16 Mess tin I have decided to use my other chrimbo pressie and put it in my kit. and now holds my cooking kit Cost around €5

17 Metal Mug One of the most important bits of kit, I would never go anywhere without a metal mug. Cost €4

18 Beer can stove Cost €0

19 Meths cost €1

20 Note book & pencils Notebook, maps, contact lists

21 Survival tin

22 Tinder bag Lots of twigs, cotton wool, char cloth. Is this old school?

23 Selection of plastic bags Garden waste bags, zip locks etc

24 Lynx bag I use a toiletry bag to hold some lose items. Cost €0

25 Nevis 33 33 ltr Bergan, its a nice size can hold all this gear with a laptop or I can add my sleeping system and tools. Cost €~30

Thanks for this. Can you explain beer can stove thingy?

bonniebede wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Can you explain beer can stove thingy?

Its a stove that burns meths/alcohol that you can make in 10 mins from a waste beer can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove

Its a stove that burns meths/alcohol that you can make in 10 mins from a waste beer can.

Thanks , and that led to this

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/pennywood.html

cool. i can feel the urge to make something come on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPa2vpJXxso

bonniebede wrote: »
    Thanks , and that led to this

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/pennywood.html

cool. i can feel the urge to make something come on.

And after that, try your hand at a hobo stove

tumblr_lmsoz10uot1qjsdkio1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

went through my kit tonight and put alot of it into the tin that my leatherman came in, works great. then emptied out my bob and looking at my hexi cooker i started thinking would i be better off with a beer can stove? It would prob save a bit of space as the beer can stove would fit into my steel mug but then im thinking id have to carry a bottle of alcohol....

Opinions from those who have used both?

Opinions from those who have used both?

Keep the hexi stove IMO if its a BOB, it works well and reliable in all weather and super easy to operate/light. The beer can stove is handy for its lightweight but tricky to get going when cold and windy.

Its worth making one for the craic anyway as its just recycling old cans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

suppose its an excuse for a few cans on the weekend:rolleyes: :D

will give it a go. hexi cooker is the biz tho, iv had it years and use fire lighters the last while cos i ran out of hexi tabs

Advertisement