Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug out bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

1 Tube Tent
    2 Figure 9s Carabiners
    2 Hand Warmers X2
    1 Body Warmer
    1 Emergency Blanket X2 person
    1 Emergency Jacket
    1 Emergency Poncho

DSCF0403.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

grapeape wrote: »
    1 Flint and Steel
    1 Storm Matches X25
    1 Waterproof Matches X30
    1 Normal Matches X30
    1 Bic Lighter
    1 9 Hr Candle
    3 Gel fuel
    2 Dryer lint (small bags)
    20 Quik-Fire Tinder (not in picture)

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

I was looking at the way I pack some of my gear and I spotted what I thought might be a problem :confused: same as you I put stuff in bags according to type as above all the fire lighting stuff in one bag. I'll say that again to see if the penny drops all the fire lighting stuff in one bag. I know its tidy and also keeps all the smelly stuff in one place but what if you loose that one bag? Not sure if that is likely to happen but I double up on a few of the items by also having them in a survival tin.

1 Strobe Light (with IR filter)
    1 Whistle
    1 Hi viz Vest
    1 Flare
    1 Emergency Headlight
    1 Winding torch
    1 Water dye marker
    2 Glow Sticks

DSCF0405.jpg

DSCF0406.jpg

All of the above and a complete change of clothes, Hexi stove, 10 Hexi Blocks, Mess tin and Swiss folding cup fit in the side pouches of my Bergen
    So if i have to drop my bag to move quicker I still have everything ill need

DSCF0421.jpg

In the front pouch of the Bergen Is Comms
    1 PMR 446 Radio
    1 3 Band Radio
    1 Emergency charger
    Spare batteries

DSCF0422.jpg

• Advertisement

In the Main compartment of the bag (no photos yet)

1 Sleeping bag
    1 Roll Mat
    2 Changes of clothes
    1 Bivvy Suit
    1 First aid kit (next section)
    1 3in1 Jacket
    4 24 Hr Ration packs ( See Above)
    1 Belt kit (See Below)
    1 Axe (Strapped between pack and Side pouch)
    1 Large Fixed Blade Knife ( Strapped between pack and side pouch on other side)
    1 Extra Fire kit (see above)
    10 Extra hexi blocks
    1 Tarp
    2 Para cord 100ft each
    1 Duct tape
    1 Hand chain saw
    1 Folding saw
    Extra batteries
    N95 dust masks

2 Triangular Bandages
    2 Tampons
    10 Cotton Buds
    1 Lighter
    1 Ice Pack
    2 Smelling Salts
    1 meter of 1" tape
    1 CPR mask
    3 Insect Repellents
    3 Burn Gels
    1 Medium Dressing
    1 Eye Pad
    1 Roll of tape
    1 Pen light
    1 Tweezers
    1 Scissors
    1 Torch
    1 Folding bottle
    2 Sterile Water
    20 Plasters
    1 Strip of Plaster
    12 Iodine Prep pads
    4 Alcohol free wipes
    4 tablet towels small
    1 Tablet towel Large
    1 Finger Splint
    5 Moist wipes
    1 Burn Dressing
    20 Triple Antibiotic Ointments
    1 Cotton Wool
    1 Wound Closure Kit
    Mixed Tablets

DSCF0412.jpg

DSCF0413.jpg

DSCF0414.jpg

On my belt i have
    Kevlar gloves
    Led Lenser P7
    Pattern 58 Water bottle cooking kit
    24 HR Ration pack
    Fire kit
    8 Hexi blocks
    Survival pouch (see below)
    Gerber gator large folding knife
    Victorinox Rescue tool
    Personal protection (cant show or say)
    Rain poncho
    Ice Cleats (never know in this country)
    Ess 3 lens Goggles (not in picture)
    Hand warmer X2
    Body warmer
    Waterproof Phone pouch

DSCF0424.jpg

DSCF0425.jpg

DSCF0426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Heh, and I thought my kit was heavy! You can swap out most of the hygiene stuff with a pouch of baking soda. ;)

1 3in1 Coffee
    1 Travel wipes X25
    5 Tablet towels
    1 Wire Saw
    1 Duct Tape
    1 Emergency Blanket X 2 person
    1 Sharpie mini
    1 Insulating tape
    1 Needle & Tread
    1 Mini Mag lite
    1 Extra Battery
    1 P51 Can opener
    2 Zippo flints
    1 Lighter
    1 Reusable match
    1 Leatherman Scissors
    1 Leatherman Squirt P4
    2 Glow sticks
    1 Storm Matches
    1 Victorinox pen knife
    1 Folding razor blade
    1 Mini folding saw
    4 Ear plugs
    4 Hexi Blocks
    1 Hexi Stove (folding)
    10 Water Purification Tablets
    1 Chewing Gum
    1 1lt Water bag
    20ft para cord

DSCF0427.jpg

DSCF0428.jpg

• Advertisement

I think thats everything any ideas or comments on it please let me know

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Heh, and I thought my kit was heavy! You can swap out most of the hygiene stuff with a pouch of baking soda. ;)
    All totaled it weighs about 25 to 30kgs

I was looking at the way I pack some of my gear and I spotted what I thought might be a problem :confused: same as you I put stuff in bags according to type as above all the fire lighting stuff in one bag. I'll say that again to see if the penny drops all the fire lighting stuff in one bag. I know its tidy and also keeps all the smelly stuff in one place but what if you loose that one bag? Not sure if that is likely to happen but I double up on a few of the items by also having them in a survival tin.
    One of the fire kits will go in my pockets as im heading out the door its sitting right on top of the bag

Awesome, awesome kit.

Adjustments I would make, and these reflect only my own preferences, except the fishing stuff, that's essential - ditch the sugar, there's too much of it there, you need at most a few boiled sweets to cheer you up. Examine redundancy, considering where you really need it and where you don't. I for example have no less than 4 frontier pros in my own. Add some brass wire and more paracord. Is there a fishing kit or did I miss that? This kit will work as well in the Arctic as in the Sahara - maybe think about the situations that will more likely arise and build your kit around your plans.

All in all, very well put together.

Awesome, awesome kit.

Adjustments I would make, and these reflect only my own preferences, except the fishing stuff, that's essential - ditch the sugar, there's too much of it there, you need at most a few boiled sweets to cheer you up. Examine redundancy, considering where you really need it and where you don't. I for example have no less than 4 frontier pros in my own. Add some brass wire and more paracord. Is there a fishing kit or did I miss that? This kit will work as well in the Arctic as in the Sahara - maybe think about the situations that will more likely arise and build your kit around your plans.

All in all, very well put together.
    I dont have a fishing kit in it as yet (last on the list as Im more into hunting than fishing and around where i live the only fish id see is gold fish) the wire i do have but cant find it at the min as for the sugar yeah way too much but if my teeth fall out wont need the tooth brush and tooth paste :D Ive to look into other coffees and boiled sweets alright as i find the 3in1 coffees very sweet (but bought a load of them so they will do until i get round to changing them) As for water filters Ive one in each bag and im planning on buying a hiker pro water filter soon. I (like most im sure) plan to shelter in place so I hope the most of my kit will never be used outside of the house

I dont have a fishing kit in it as yet (last on the list as Im more into hunting than fishing and around where i live the only fish id see is gold fish) the wire i do have but cant find it at the min as for the sugar yeah way too much but if my teeth fall out wont need the tooth brush and tooth paste :D
    See that's what I'm talking about, probabilities rather than eventualities. We live on an island riddled with lakes and rivers, a fishing kit is essential.

Its not your teeth that are the concern with the sugar, its the highs and lows associated. Sweet foods are comfort foods for most people, which is what one would imagine would be needed in an emergency, but the reality is you'd be better off with a slow release calorie source like more of that porridge or some jerky.

See that's what I'm talking about, probabilities rather than eventualities. We live on an island riddled with lakes and rivers, a fishing kit is essential.

Its not your teeth that are the concern with the sugar, its the highs and lows associated. Sweet foods are comfort foods for most people, which is what one would imagine would be needed in an emergency, but the reality is you'd be better off with a slow release calorie source like more of that porridge or some jerky.
    True last thing i need is 4 hyper kids on my hands
    Some items I also forgot to add are oxo great for just drinking or making a stew
    I picked up a light pair of bivvy slippers/ slip on shoes ideal for giving your feet a rest from boots but still have strong soles on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

thats a great kit, but 30kg is a lot of weight to carry any distance. I know its not massive massive, but maybe try to plan a 5 mile walk with it on to check its comfortable over distance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Awesome kit and well organised, would certainly keep you comfy.

I have some comments, none critical :D Sorry for long reply :eek:

Hygiene - Comprehensive kit, only comment is that some of the kit appears for long term (scissors and nail clippers) and others is short term deo etc. If you plan for short term maybe remove scissors and nail clippers as multi tools can do a half decent job.

If your interested long term look at deodorant stones, baking soda (lots of uses and already said), shaving stick and cut throat razor (nearly a lost art). All light and not "wet" based products.

I never go far without baby wipes;)

Fire - Again good comprehensive kit, I guess the gel is for your crusader cooking kit? (nice choice). See if you can swap your matches for swanvesta's and put them in a plastic tub, my experience of safety matches particularly in Ireland is that they can never trusted due to the damp. I always say more tinder but you have plenty of other items in your kit you could use.

I am more old school (my choice) and my kit is simpler, fire steel, matches (swanvesta & wind/waterproof), lighters (3 minimum) but I have LOTS more tinder. My tinder bag is full off cotton wool and small twigs, wood shavings, birch bark and steel wool its like a tinder cocktail as different tinder starts better in different conditions.

BTW - Your fire steel needs about another 1000 strikes to be efficient ;)

Water Purification - GREAT gear, bottle tops is genius and I will add a couple in mine. How is the water bottle? I would maybe get another one to test in the field as in my experience anything that folds up (apart from platypus) usually splits.

I keen to hear more about your water testing kit, there is a huge science for testing water so much so that a comprehensive kit would fill your bergan plus with your filter and puri tabs you would be safe to purify even the most stagnant water.

BTW - A friend of mine gets 80+ gallons out of the frontier filters by pre-filtering using a lint cloth or using fast flowing water.

EMERGENCY SHELTER - To me some of this a over kill as you have a tarp and sleeping system, I am old school and use a military spec poncho and goretex bivi. Hand/body warmers just add weight and only give artificial heat IMO, they are at best a short term morale boost which in some scenarios are worth their weight in gold.

SIGNALING - Nice setup, never seen water dye is that more for sea?

MAIN COMPARTMENT - Bivi suit? Is this a bivi bag? Also what is a 3 in 1 jacket?

I use a berghus goretex jacket with zip in fleece, best kit ever and lasts years.

FIRST AID KIT Again very good but needs pain killers and or paracetamol, I use lemsip for morale boosting drink to kill pain or flu like symptoms (EDIT - just seen assorted pills, I assume pain killers, antihistamine etc). Also the packing should stand out that it is first aid in case you are alone and someone comes along to help.

Alcohol free wipes, alcohol wipes are also a good firelighter.

More triangular bandages would help, a broken leg in worst case scenario needs 5, you have a bandana that can be used so two more would be ideal.

Scissors, that 2 sets so far. Take one out your hygiene pack

BELT KIT - Nice setup but ice cleats immediately jump out as a luxury item for very limited situations.

Again hand warmers, you have gloves and if your hands are cold blow into your gloves.......much better than hand warmers and works with socks too (old army trick).

Food and brew kit? have some soup, tea/coffee and power bar/jerky small items. A mini 24hr pack should be the target.

SURVIVAL POUCH - First thing that jumps out to me is that there is nothing you can use as a cooking vessel. With a tin you can use that or put a folded up sheet of tin foil (1m or more).

Another firesteel would be handy in here.

Other comments

Foot powder & socks (3 pair minimum), very important to keep your feet dry and keep you going if your mobile. You would be surprised how quick trench foot starts and quickly slows you down as the pain is something else.

A few 6 inch nails for pegs in the shelter or belt kit.

Key rings - so many uses, triggers for traps, attaching torches to paracord lanyards

Clima therm vest - Under amour/helihansen, great kit and worth its weight in gold to have in the top of your bag

Fishing kit - say no more, a 10lb line with some assorted hooks, swivels and a wire trace will catch anything in fresh or sea water in ireland. The cost would be around €10.

Sun screen - I have sun screen combined with insect repellant as a stick

Lastly 30kg is around 70lbs, that is quite heavy. At my fittest I could carry ~80lbs 8 miles in around 4hrs cross country, . Now I am a old man my target is 45lbs ~20kg to give me the same distance but if your confident its a non issue.

@ grapeape, as if you haven't doen enough already and you've given us a total wieght but next time you have all the kit out could you wiegh the indiviual packs so we have some idea how the wiegth adds up. :o

• Advertisement

mawk wrote: »
    thats a great kit, but 30kg is a lot of weight to carry any distance. I know its not massive massive, but maybe try to plan a 5 mile walk with it on to check its comfortable over distance
    To be honest this is a light pack 18 months ago I did the Wicklow way (80 miles) over 7 days and my pack was about 45 to 50kg

krissovo wrote: »
    Awesome kit and well organised, would certainly keep you comfy.

I have some comments, none critical :D Sorry for long reply :eek:

Hygiene - Comprehensive kit, only comment is that some of the kit appears for long term (scissors and nail clippers) and others is short term deo etc. If you plan for short term maybe remove scissors and nail clippers as multi tools can do a half decent job.

If your interested long term look at deodorant stones, baking soda (lots of uses and already said), shaving stick and cut throat razor (nearly a lost art). All light and not "wet" based products.

I never go far without baby wipes;)

Fire - Again good comprehensive kit, I guess the gel is for your crusader cooking kit? (nice choice). See if you can swap your matches for swanvesta's and put them in a plastic tub, my experience of safety matches particularly in Ireland is that they can never trusted due to the damp. I always say more tinder but you have plenty of other items in your kit you could use.

I am more old school (my choice) and my kit is simpler, fire steel, matches (swanvesta & wind/waterproof), lighters (3 minimum) but I have LOTS more tinder. My tinder bag is full off cotton wool and small twigs, wood shavings, birch bark and steel wool its like a tinder cocktail as different tinder starts better in different conditions.

BTW - Your fire steel needs about another 1000 strikes to be efficient ;)

Water Purification - GREAT gear, bottle tops is genius and I will add a couple in mine. How is the water bottle? I would maybe get another one to test in the field as in my experience anything that folds up (apart from platypus) usually splits.

I keen to hear more about your water testing kit, there is a huge science for testing water so much so that a comprehensive kit would fill your bergan plus with your filter and puri tabs you would be safe to purify even the most stagnant water.

BTW - A friend of mine gets 80+ gallons out of the frontier filters by pre-filtering using a lint cloth or using fast flowing water.

EMERGENCY SHELTER - To me some of this a over kill as you have a tarp and sleeping system, I am old school and use a military spec poncho and goretex bivi. Hand/body warmers just add weight and only give artificial heat IMO, they are at best a short term morale boost which in some scenarios are worth their weight in gold.

SIGNALING - Nice setup, never seen water dye is that more for sea?

MAIN COMPARTMENT - Bivi suit? Is this a bivi bag? Also what is a 3 in 1 jacket?

I use a berghus goretex jacket with zip in fleece, best kit ever and lasts years.

FIRST AID KIT Again very good but needs pain killers and or paracetamol, I use lemsip for morale boosting drink to kill pain or flu like symptoms (EDIT - just seen assorted pills, I assume pain killers, antihistamine etc). Also the packing should stand out that it is first aid in case you are alone and someone comes along to help.

Alcohol free wipes, alcohol wipes are also a good firelighter.

More triangular bandages would help, a broken leg in worst case scenario needs 5, you have a bandana that can be used so two more would be ideal.

Scissors, that 2 sets so far. Take one out your hygiene pack

BELT KIT - Nice setup but ice cleats immediately jump out as a luxury item for very limited situations.

Again hand warmers, you have gloves and if your hands are cold blow into your gloves.......much better than hand warmers and works with socks too (old army trick).

Food and brew kit? have some soup, tea/coffee and power bar/jerky small items. A mini 24hr pack should be the target.

SURVIVAL POUCH - First thing that jumps out to me is that there is nothing you can use as a cooking vessel. With a tin you can use that or put a folded up sheet of tin foil (1m or more).

Another firesteel would be handy in here.

Other comments

Foot powder & socks (3 pair minimum), very important to keep your feet dry and keep you going if your mobile. You would be surprised how quick trench foot starts and quickly slows you down as the pain is something else.

A few 6 inch nails for pegs in the shelter or belt kit.

Key rings - so many uses, triggers for traps, attaching torches to paracord lanyards

Clima therm vest - Under amour/helihansen, great kit and worth its weight in gold to have in the top of your bag

Fishing kit - say no more, a 10lb line with some assorted hooks, swivels and a wire trace will catch anything in fresh or sea water in ireland. The cost would be around €10.

Sun screen - I have sun screen combined with insect repellant as a stick

Lastly 30kg is around 70lbs, that is quite heavy. At my fittest I could carry ~80lbs 8 miles in around 4hrs cross country, . Now I am a old man my target is 45lbs ~20kg to give me the same distance but if your confident its a non issue.

Hygiene: Nail clippers and Scissors are handy long or short term (A comfort item) I was looking for shaving sticks but couldnt find any at the time As for a cut throat razor .....Ill grow a beard first lol:D

Fire:The gel is for the pattern 58 kit and its great to start a fire with wet tinder. I do have maya sticks that i plan on shaving down to use as tinder (when i get round to it) The fire steal is new and does need to be broken in a good bit

Water Purification: The water bottle is fine I use one in work rolled in a maxpedition dump pouch its not as strong as the platterpus but its holding its own for the moment
    The water testing kit is very basic its 2 strips (like p strips in the doctors) and it tells you if the water has anything in it or not once you take it from the packaging its quarter of the size
    The main thing i like about the Frontier is it can be screwed on to any bottle and away you go the military version comes with the water bladder attachment im nearly sure

Emergency Shelter: This is mainly for if i have to dump my main pack for some reason and travel lighter The poncho I have in my belt kit is ok but im going to change it to the heavy military ones The hand warmers and body warmers I like as the kevlar gloves i carry are crap for keeping you warm but they allow you to grab a knife or clear broken glass without ripping your hands

Signaling: The water dye is mostly used for at sea but its Ireland you never know

Main Compartment: A Bivvy suit is basically Thermal trousers and jacket also known as a softie suit see here http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EX-ARMY-MILITARY-SOFTIE-THERMAL-REVERSIBLE-TROUSERS-/190519269022?pt=UK_Men_s_Trousers&var=&hash=item72173b1ac0
    3in1 jacket is the same as you have rain jacket with a fleece jacket inside

First aid kit: I do have pain killers ect.... in this kit
    as for the 2nd scissors (ive 3 in total in the whole kit) In the words of our American friend 2 is 1 1 is none :p
    The pouch has a glow in the dark medic patch on it

Belt Kit: The ice cleats weigh nothing and take up no room and id rather have them than end up on my backside :eek:
    The 24hr kit i have on the belt i am going to break it down to snack food and drinks tea/coffee soup/oxo

Survival pouch: This is more extra bits i might need rather than going through my pack if i have this i have the rest of the belt kit as for something to cook boil water in thanks to the youth of today the country side is littered with beer cans so lots to choose from :p

Other comments: Forgot about the foot powder I think ive 5 pairs of socks in total in the kit
    Must add nails always handy and forgot my knife sharpener
    Ive the under Armour stuff in with the change of clothes
    Fishing kit: Ill get one Ill get one :D
    Sun screen: is a must add
    Weight: At the moment im happy enough with the weight but 30kg is the max it will be if i add more to it over time ill be removing other items to keep it at 30kg

@ grapeape, as if you haven't doen enough already and you've given us a total wieght but next time you have all the kit out could you wiegh the indiviual packs so we have some idea how the wiegth adds up. :o
    Remind me in 6 months when im doing a date check on my kit lol :p

1 Porridge (not in picture)
    4 Breakfast Biscuits
    1 Main Meal
    1 Noodles
    3 3in1 Coffee
    3 Juice mixes (not in picture)
    1 Bag of Sweets/Toffees (not in all Ration packs)
    2 Packets of Chewing gum
    1 Soup

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.
    I was out for a hike over the weekend and ive made some changes to this (pictures up soon)
    1 Porridge
    2 Breakfast Biscuits
    1 Main meal
    1 Small can of tuna
    3 3in1 Coffee
    3 Juice Mixes (sugar free)
    2 Packets of chewing gum
    2 Oxos Chicken/Beef (1 of each)

Always have my eye on the local pound shop (now the €2 shop) and while buying some cheap LED touches spotted these little lighters 6 for €2 of course - brand if anyone goes looking for the same is €uroGeneral.

209136.jpg

A size comparison with the "std" Lidl disposable

209137.jpg

My theory is small stuff like these lighters either allow you to have more stuff packed up ready to go or less weight. In particular I feel survival tins can benefit from items like this especially when they work out at 33cents each.

Now I'm not going to be relying long term on a lighters like these (they won't last for ever for a start) but as short term get out of trouble items I see them as €2 well spent.

While I'm thinking about it I might stick one in each FAK as well as they are always useful to heat sterilise needle for dealing with blisters.

Always have my eye on the local pound shop (now the €2 shop) and while buying some cheap LED touches spotted these little lighters 6 for €2 of course - brand if anyone goes looking for the same is €uroGeneral.

209136.jpg

A size comparison with the "std" Lidl disposable

209137.jpg

My theory is small stuff like these lighters either allow you to have more stuff packed up ready to go or less weight. In particular I feel survival tins can benefit from items like this especially when they work out at 33cents each.

Now I'm not going to be relying long term on a lighters like these (they won't last for ever for a start) but as short term get out of trouble items I see them as €2 well spent.

While I'm thinking about it I might stick one in each FAK as well as they are always useful to heat sterilise needle for dealing with blisters.
    These can also be refilled

These can also be refilled

I was going to mention that but wasn't sure many people would be bothering to refill a lighter that can be replaced for 33cents?

All the same I'm going to buy a can of gas and try :)

I was going to mention that but wasn't sure many people would be bothering to refill a lighter that can be replaced for 33cents?

All the same I'm going to buy a can of gas and try :)
    Now it can be replaced for 33cents but if SHTF how much will it cost then Ive picked them up and im a smoker got about a month regular use out of one of these and on my 3rd refill of the same one want to see how long the electric start last on it or how long before i loose it :p

Now it can be replaced for 33cents but if SHTF how much will it cost then Ive picked them up and im a smoker got about a month regular use out of one of these and on my 3rd refill of the same one want to see how long the electric start last on it or how long before i loose it :p

Just wondering if you can get more gas in them when you refill them than they come with new?

• Advertisement

Just wondering if you can get more gas in them when you refill them than they come with new?
    Never checked in that much detail

Advertisement