Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug out bags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    The "missile spear point" better be a SAM

But eh no, very dubious legally to have a blade contained within a walking stick, it would be a lot weaker than a simple stick due to all the accoutrements inside it (and if it breaks there goes the lot), the price god almighty, and you could make it yourself for about a tenner.

Thats a fact RE the spear point.
    Legalityproblems possible,but its not exactly a quick deployment like a sword stick.Looks like a long old job to unscrew all the bits to get to the blade.Proably better off clocking whoever is attacking you right off with the staff. Dunno if you could put it together for 10 quid...I looked into this once and you wouldnt even get a half hour shop time on a lathe to put this together!To make an exact copy of it over here I was quoted between 300 to 450 Euros.INC materials.:eek:IE aircraft grade 4140 aluminium tubing[same stuff Maglite torches are made of].
    Looked at cable conduit as well,much to weak for anything rough.
    So a proable non happening idea.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thats a fact RE the spear point.
    Legalityproblems possible,but its not exactly a quick deployment like a sword stick.Looks like a long old job to unscrew all the bits to get to the blade.
    Just having a quick look through their videos, apparently it won't function as a spear since the staff is too heavy and will break the knife if it hits a tree. Its a "lance". Whatever about that I can't imagine Garda McLocal taking too kindly to the blowgun and darts. :D

Where did you get that quote, apparently its 6160 aluminium, which clocks in at around fifty bucks for a five foot staff, two inches diameter? Thats some labour bill, you should give Rynn Engineering a call in Galway here, they do some good work.

The more I look the more I wish I had boots like these lads' neck. This is a screw on handle for the top of the walking stick:

09%2007%2011_3085.JPG

That's a cool $55 right here. "Rifle rest", $65

09%2007%2011_3089.JPG

I'll hold on to the very reliable Cold Steel shillelagh for the meantime I think! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Think you'd want some lung pwer too for those blowguns as well.
    Local machine shops in Limerick...Reckon its just a "FKoff we are not intrested price !":rolleyes:Well, proably as it was 4years ago.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

A small upgrade to the Survival "Tin"

Was in Waterford today, wandered into Funk it and noticed a good few "smoking" related items including a range of lighters. To cut a long story short they have the smaller Clipper gas lighters (€1.50) which take up a little less room than the std Lidl 3 pack lighters. The Clipper is a flint lighter which makes it a bit more useful when the gas runs out. Now to add a couple of lighter flints to the kit and to find something useful to fill all the empty space.

192713.JPG

Noticed that Funk it also had Tobacoo Tins for €4 in case anyone is looking for one, canabis leaf design on lid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

The Clipper is a flint lighter which makes it a bit more useful when the gas runs out.

IMHO, "clicky" lighters are more useful than flint ones when empty, you can easily pull off the metal part (which the flame comes up through), once this is off, its simple to slip out the "button" part. peel back a little of the covering on the wire and hey-presto, you have a spark maker!

Flint can run out and it doesn't work when wet. the clicker won't run out (piezoelectricity), and works while wet (although you may get a small shock)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

I really don't like gas lighters, even the slightest puff of wind blows them out.

Much prefer petrol/lighter fluid types.

Had a look at these (again) the other day. But, I'm put off by the postage from the U.K.
    http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/fire-lighting/lighters/imco-triplex-windproof-bushcraft-lighter.htm

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/fire-lighting/lighters/mini-steel-peanut-petrol-lighter.htm

You can also buy a fire piston from the same site for only £160... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    I really don't like gas lighters, even the slightest puff of wind blows them out.

Much as I love my zippos (have flamin' loads of them!), the one concern with having them in a BOB rather than your pocket is the evaporation of fuel over time. You can keep them in airtight containers (saw one forum suggesting keeping them in condoms) or store the fuel in the bottle it came in, but make sure you don't just fill a lighter and throw it in your bag.

I love Zippo's too. I bought a knock-off one a while back, but it leaks when in the pocket so it's not a viable option.

As you said, probably the best thing to do is store the fuel separately in your B.O.B.

Speaking of fire lighting, an ex-army friend of mine brings a small bottle of diesel when camping, as "There's no point rubbing sticks when you're freezing boi (He's from Cork) ;) And, that will get anything going".

As much as I love my fire-steel, our leaves aren't as dry as those on youtube, and you always need cotton balls/pads.

Dawn Rider wrote: »

Had a look at these (again) the other day. But, I'm put off by the postage from the U.K.
    http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/fire-lighting/lighters/imco-triplex-windproof-bushcraft-lighter.htm

http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/fire-lighting/lighters/mini-steel-peanut-petrol-lighter.htm

You can also buy a fire piston from the same site for only £160... ;)
    Nice! They are a bit cheaper on dealextreme though, and free shipping, I just ordered two of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Is anyone suggesting that a petrol lighter is a good idea in a survival tin which is my purpose for the little Clippy lighter :confused:

• Advertisement

Well for myself the peanut is going on my keyring, and the IMCO Triplex will hopefully replace an expensive and messed up windproof butane lighter I have.

I'd say the peanut could find a place in a bug out tin if you filed off the keyring attachment, from discussions online the fuel will last two to three weeks if used sparingly, and it runs on petrol and similar flammable liquids. Neither of them has the leakage problems of a zippo, although I'll need to test them extensively of course.

Is anyone suggesting that a petrol lighter is a good idea in a survival tin which is my purpose for the little Clippy lighter :confused:

You can easily fit the peanut lighter linked above in your tin. Along with matches and perhaps a fire steel.

If you use a fire-steel, make sure to add a cotton ball with vaseline.

If you use the clippy, you may want to add a birthday candle. The gas flame blows out easily so I place the base of the candle between my lips and use my other hand as a wind shield so it looks like I'm lighting a cigarete.

You only use the tin when you've lost your bag, so it's best not to rely on just one way of making fire.

It was drilled into us when we were younger that 'You live in your bag & survive in your pockets'.

Good luck in your search, hope this was of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'll hold on to the very reliable Cold Steel shillelagh for the meantime I think! :D

Any issues with importing the Shillelagh from Cold Steel and, for that matter, their range of knives?

The Shillelagh is a very impressive product.

Apologies, I'm sure this has been answered before many times but I haven't been able to pin it down.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Any issues with importing the Shillelagh from Cold Steel and, for that matter, their range of knives?

The Shillelagh is a very impressive product.

Apologies, I'm sure this has been answered before many times but I haven't been able to pin it down.
    Nah I'd no difficulties. The items are no more illegal than a crowbar or hammer, you're perfectly entitled to own or import them, as long as you aren't menacing people with them or carrying them without good reason. The shillelagh can be carried anywhere without cause mind you, its a walking stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Any good medium size Bug bags online stateside or in store dublin. Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Any good medium size Bug bags online stateside or in store dublin. Thks

Have a look at www.maxpedition.com they are bulletproof I've been using their packs and pouches for over 5 years never a problem

grapeape wrote: »
    Have a look at www.mapedition.com they are bulletproof I've been using their packs and pouches for over 5 years never a problem
    Maxpedition? http://www.maxpedition.com/

My molle pattern pouches and shoulder bag are both from them, solid work, but shop around for the best price.

Maxpedition? http://www.maxpedition.com/

My molle pattern pouches and shoulder bag are both from them, solid work, but shop around for the best price.

Cheers doc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I've been building my BOB for about 2 years now some stuff has come and gone during this time. I have now started to get more gear such as hardware and personal protection items. I love this site and would buy everything on TBH. Any Hoo its good for a look at whats around, if anyone has a link to a site like this please post it, Cheers

oops the link

http://www.asmc.de/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I've been building my BOB for about 2 years now some stuff has come and gone during this time. I have now started to get more gear such as hardware and personal protection items. I love this site and would buy everything on TBH. Any Hoo its good for a look at whats around, if anyone has a link to a site like this please post it, Cheers
    Got pics and details of your kit?

• Advertisement

Got pics and details of your kit?

Ok I unpacked my bag and took some pics.

Not pictured are some items that are illegal in Ireland but are used for close protection.

I have not packed food or water, I feel that this can be bough or looted depending on the situation in the first day or so.This is a 4-5 day bag to get me to my hard cover where more stores and goodies are hidden.

Some other kit

The last pic is my BOB all packed up

Nice kit, one thing that stands out to me is the orange rope, why not paracord?

Nice kit, one thing that stands out to me is the orange rope, why not paracord?

just picked it up one day as I said its still a work in progress. There is 50m of green cord beside my survival tin.

Always looking for advice to make it better

Never liked rope like that, i reckon its too stiff to tie properly and comes loose. Any time i have used it iv seperated the 3 strands and found it much better to work with, still hurts the hands tho!

For my bug out bag I use a 120lt Bergan pack mainly because I can make a 20lt pack out of the side pouches there is a hell of a lot of gear in it so ill do it over a couple of posts. I was going to get some pouches for fire kit,Water Purification, Hygiene ect.... but Ive 6 packs to make up and even at €3 a pop it works out at way too much so I went with heavy duty zip lock bags instead. So over the next few posts ill explain whats in each part of my BOB

2 50ml Shower Gels
    1 Tooth Brush & Holder
    1 Tube of Tooth Paste 100ml (cheaper than travel size)
    1 Hand Sanitizer
    25 Wet Wipes
    8 Bath wipes
    1 Deodorant 35ml
    1 Roll on (not in picture)
    1 Camping toilet roll
    1 95ml Mouth wash
    1 Nail Clippers
    1 Folding Scissors
    5 Razors (not in picture)
    1 50ml Shaving foam
    30 Cotton buds
    1 Vaseline
    5 Nappy bags
    1 10 pack Tissues
    DSCF0401.jpg

DSCF0402.jpg

1 Flint and Steel
    1 Storm Matches X25
    1 Waterproof Matches X30
    1 Normal Matches X30
    1 Bic Lighter
    1 9 Hr Candle
    3 Gel fuel
    2 Dryer lint (small bags)
    20 Quik-Fire Tinder (not in picture)

DSCF0409.jpg

DSCF0410.jpg

1 Frontier Pro X 50 Gallons
    50 Water Purification Tablets
    1 Folding Water bottle
    2 Spare bottle caps (lots of plastic bottles around might need a cap)
    1 Bandanna
    1 Water testing kit

DSCF0416.jpg

DSCF0417.jpg

• Advertisement

1 Porridge (not in picture)
    4 Breakfast Biscuits
    1 Main Meal
    1 Noodles
    3 3in1 Coffee
    3 Juice mixes (not in picture)
    1 Bag of Sweets/Toffees (not in all Ration packs)
    2 Packets of Chewing gum
    1 Soup

DSCF0407.jpg

DSCF0408.jpg

Advertisement