Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Izoard wrote: »
    Also, are there set mile markers where you can leave the bag(s) or can you nominate any mile marker/water station?

You can leave up to 3 items at any of the water stations.That's 3 items altogether, not 3 per station. :rolleyes:

They're at miles 5, 10, 13 and then roughly every 3 miles.

Oh, and the mile-13 table is actually close to mile 12. I have seen quite a few runners miss their item over the years because they didn't expect the table to be so early and just ran past it.

Bottom line is, the drop bags option is helpful but don't rely on them. Things can and do happen, and it is perfectly possible to have a good race with just the stuff provided by the organisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I have to work in Dublin the night before and drive down. I was thinking of parking in oughterard and getting a few hours kip before grabbing the bus.

Is Parking in oughterard ok ?

I have to work in Dublin the night before and drive down. I was thinking of parking in oughterard and getting a few hours kip before grabbing the bus.

Is Parking in oughterard ok ?

That won't work, and the parking situation in Oughterard has nothing to do with it.

1) You need to pick up your number.
    2) Sleeping in the car will leave you wrecked before you're even on the start line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

That won't work, and the parking situation in Oughterard has nothing to do with it.

1) You need to pick up your number.
    2) Sleeping in the car will leave you wrecked before you're even on the start line.

My sister is collecting my number on the Friday, if thats ok.

I can't get out of work and driving down is my only option and its one i'll have to manage. I'll get a good sleep during Saturday. I'm only doing the half so it won't be as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

From the race website:
    Energy drinks will be available at mile 9, 19 and 22 for the full marathon.

Hi folks, for those that have run in the last year or two, is the above generally reliable? I ran a few years ago and only noticed isotonic drinks around mile 22. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

My bag was a nappy bag. It looked rather unappealing, I would have thought. It didn't stop them from ripping it open.
    My sister is collecting my number on the Friday, if thats ok.

I can't get out of work and driving down is my only option and its one i'll have to manage. I'll get a good sleep during Saturday. I'm only doing the half so it won't be as bad.

Loads of free parking in OUghterard. I missed the bus last year in Galway and had to chase out to Oughterard to pick it up there. There was a garda squad car parked on the side to catch the likes of me rushing out to Connemara so watch out for them this year ;)
    Enjoy your race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

menoscemo wrote: »
    The best thing to do is to wrap up your parcel in such a way that no-one knows what's inside and would be unlikely to take a risk on the contents.

Last year I wrapped my coke bottles in paper with a 'poison' sign on and no-one went near them.

Last year I taped my goodies in an Always Ultra ST packet and everyone was too embarrassed to rip it open and use the contents, It was instantly recognisable on the table as well :D

BTW I left my last bag at the last 13 mile /half marathon start and though I restocked my belt didnt use any of it . At that stage plain water was all I wanted as the sweetie stuff made me feel a bit yukky by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

How is everyone getting on for this?
    Anyone aiming for 6 hours for the ultra?

Oisin11178 wrote: »

Definitely tapering now. For once I'm feeling great as the target race approaches (hopefully not a bad omen ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

It's my first time doing Conn Ultra so I'm not exactly sure what I'm letting myself in for. My training has gone very well so I would hope to target 6 hours; I have a VERY rough idea of 3 hours 50 to marathon which then leaves me 2 hours 10 in the last third in which to blow up, cramp, walk, crawl etc to the finish line.
    Any suggestions or words of wisdom are very welcome:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Any last minute advice for a first time marathoner? Got up to 20 miles on my LSR last week, just wondering what I should be doing tomorrow(LSR day)? Should I go for 22ish and go easy for the next 2 weeks, or should I go a bit easier (13 miles or something) and keep it easy for the next while?

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Any last minute advice for a first time marathoner? Got up to 20 miles on my LSR last week, just wondering what I should be doing tomorrow(LSR day)? Should I go for 22ish and go easy for the next 2 weeks, or should I go a bit easier (13 miles or something) and keep it easy for the next while?

Well done on the 20 miler last week:)
    Are you following a plan? I would definitely NOT do a 22miler less than two weeks out. 13/14 miles will be fine with some shorter runs thrown in. You should be well into your taper phase now.

Marthastew wrote: »
    It's my first time doing Conn Ultra so I'm not exactly sure what I'm letting myself in for. My training has gone very well so I would hope to target 6 hours; I have a VERY rough idea of 3 hours 50 to marathon which then leaves me 2 hours 10 in the last third in which to blow up, cramp, walk, crawl etc to the finish line.
    This race is not a target of mine as ive not really trained for it specifically so i intend to run 6 hour pace. I dont intend to taper and ill be doing 2 x 20 the week of conn.
    No real advise other than get your tactics regarding race pace and nutrition sorted and dont leave anything to chance. Also i recommend trying to slot into a group, always makes things seem alot easierfor me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

This race is not a target of mine as ive not really trained for it specifically so i intend to run 6 hour pace. I dont intend to taper and ill be doing 2 x 20 the week of conn.
    No real advise other than get your tactics regarding race pace and nutrition sorted and dont leave anything to chance. Also i recommend trying to slot into a group, always makes things seem alot easierfor me anyway.
    i agree,running with a group makes it alot easier,it seems alot of people on here going for sub 6hr,i think you should all get a group running together:).

i agree,running with a group makes it alot easier,it seems alot of people on here going for sub 6hr,i think you should all get a group running together:).
    Ive done all my training with longer races in mind so wouldnt beat last years time so im not going for a time outside my best time, i dont see the point. Ill take it handy enough and get some extra time on my feet and a quicker recovery.
    Yeah i reckon if your going for 6 hours 9 min miles are perfect. If you take into account racing line that should get you in at marathon distance at 3.54, leaving 2.06 to do the last 13.1.
    Id be happy to form a group if enough people wanted to have a pop at 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Well done on the 20 miler last week:)
    Are you following a plan? I would definitely NOT do a 22miler less than two weeks out. 13/14 miles will be fine with some shorter runs thrown in. You should be well into your taper phase now.

Yeah, was leaning towards that myself, just wanted to make sure that I couldn't fit another long run in yet. Really looking forward to it now, must start on picking a time to aim for in the next while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Hi,

When do you think the latest day should be to do a long run?
    I'm doing the half.
    I plan to run the loop around Sutton-Howth (10 miles) tomorrow as it is meant to have similar hills in part to Connemara.

If I do this run and a 10km run on Friday would it be ok to do a flat 10 mile run on Sunday, or is that overdoing it?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ill be drivin the 6:30 bus if anyone wants to hop on .have concedded to aimann,but we mite catch him:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Ive done all my training with longer races in mind so wouldnt beat last years time so im not going for a time outside my best time, i dont see the point. Ill take it handy enough and get some extra time on my feet and a quicker recovery.
    Yeah i reckon if your going for 6 hours 9 min miles are perfect. If you take into account racing line that should get you in at marathon distance at 3.54, leaving 2.06 to do the last 13.1.

I'll aim to get through the marathon in 3.50 and hope to hang on from there, so good to know there will be a few others in the same boat.
    ultraman1 wrote: »
    ill be drivin the 6:30 bus if anyone wants to hop on .have concedded to aimann,but we mite catch him:P

Ehhh, what happened to your sub 6 attempt? Once you see the rabbit(s) heading up the road, you won't be able to control yourself....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I'll aim to get through the marathon in 3.50
    Ehhh, what happened to your sub 6 attempt

3:50 eh.. 6.5 hrs ties in with my trainn plan for somthing else(i wont say dat this is just a trainin run)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I forgot to e mail about changing from full to half, just did it there now. I hope they let me:o
    did they let you change after?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

My first Marathon as well and i'm getting very nervous. I shouold really try and just concentrate on giving it my best and stop worrying about times. The last few weeks have flown in.

I'll aim to get through the marathon in 3.50 and hope to hang on from there, so good to know there will be a few others in the same boat
    Yeah 3.50 is fine but if your aiming for 6 hours and youve done the training i reckon 9 min mile pace for about 3.54 through marathon should do you.

Yeah 3.50 is fine but if your aiming for 6 hours and youve done the training i reckon 9 min mile pace for about 3.54 through marathon should do you.

If you want to beat 6 hours, going through the marathon in 3:54 is cutting it very fine. I know you can do it, but a first-time ultra runner might have a much harder time.

The first time I ran the ultra it took me 2:05 to stumble through the final 13.1 miles for a 5:40 finish.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    I'll aim to get through the marathon in 3.50 and hope to hang on from there, so good to know there will be a few others in the same boat.

Apologies to Non-Ultra runners for hijacking the threadwink.gif

So.... Oisin is driving the 6 hour bus and Ultraman is driving the 6.30 bus?
    If you want to beat 6 hours, going through the marathon in 3:54 is cutting it very fine. I know you can do it, but a first-time ultra runner might have a much harder time.

The first time I ran the ultra it took me 2:05 to stumble through the final 13.1 miles for a 5:40 finish.
    I'm now thinking I was a bit optimistic and should be on the 6.15 bus if there is one....
    Any other bus drivers/passengers?

6 hours
    Oisin
    Izoard
    Marthastew

6.30 hours
    Ultraman

I'm sure somebody can make a nice UltraBus tablebiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I'd rather get through the 26.2 with a bit of time banked, however if it takes TFB 2:05 to do the last 13.1, then there is not much hope for me anyways..:(

In Donadea, I went through the marathon in 3.45, so would hope for similar. However, sticking with a sub-6 group will be the priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'd rather get through the 26.2 with a bit of time banked, however if it takes TFB 2:05 to do the last 13.1, then there is not much hope for me anyways..:(

In Donadea, I went through the marathon in 3.45, so would hope for similar. However, sticking with a sub-6 group will be the priority.

I think your startegy is sound Izoard. By going through marathon a bit early you are also giving yourself a chance to run an even better time if all goes well.

You are definitely in good shape for sub 6 going by the donadea performace you should even be OK for 5:40-5:45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

On the bus Idea.

My plan is to go out at 8 min/mile and go through marathon in 3:30. That means at worst I should finish in sub 5:30 but if everything goes well and I feel good after 26.2 can keep up the pace and finish in 5:15- 5:20.

Lets call it the sub 5:30 bus. Any takers?

The 2:05 I mentioned were back in 2007 - I improved to 1:50 in 2010 and I'm hoping for a significant further improvement this year. ;)

I'd stick with your original idea of going through the marathon in about 3:50 - as should all the sub-6 hopefuls, but that's just my personal opinion. That leaves you 2:10 for the last 13.1 and should be ok.

• Advertisement

The 2:05 I mentioned were back in 2007 - I improved to 1:50 in 2010 and I'm hoping for a significant further improvement this year. ;)

I'd stick with your original idea of going through the marathon in about 3:50 - as should all the sub-6 hopefuls, but that's just my personal opinion. That leaves you 2:10 for the last 13.1 and should be ok.

The thing about groups in conn and esp with our group of 3 last year, they more than likely will fracture at leenane. We rolled in and were all in great nick. 1 toilet stop and meno had trouble finding his bag. Plus the hill will be the first tester for most and groups will naturally part ways anyway. Im fine going through 26.2 in 3.50.

Advertisement