Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Did 20miles yesterday, doing a 20miler tonight, the mega back to back - any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Did 20miles yesterday, doing a 20miler tonight, the mega back to back - any advice?

Advice....nothing I can offer that would be of any use to you, but if it were me i'd have a large slice of chocolate cake at home waiting for me. Good luck with it.

ran a marathon yesterday....no medal though.
    Set off from home about 8am. Arrived 21 miles later, met the wife (who took the car)and registered for local 5 mile race in Carrigaline, Co Cork.
    For all the nay sayers, My .2 of a mile was the jog to the start line! And so what if i stopped for 10 minutes to register!:)

Managed to run the 5 mile at a lot faster pace than the previous 21miles, against my better judgement, but a race is a race.

Weird feeling crossing the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That's a very strange warm-up...!
    Any chance of a more detailed report of the race and how you felt running it? What kind of pace did you run at, etc?
    It would be interesting to hear a bit more about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Take it easy; don't worry if the legs feel very heavy at the start. While you'll never feel the pure joy of running, you'll get into it.

Put your head down, get on with it, keep running until you're done. Persistence pays off.

• Advertisement

Take it easy; don't worry if the legs feel very heavy at the start. While you'll never feel the pure joy of running, you'll get into it.

Put your head down, get on with it, keep running until you're done. Persistence pays off.

Ok, so 40miles in 2 days.

20 miles on Sunday in the Phoenix Park – lovely bright clear dry day. Miles 5 – 1- were ok, 10 to 15 were tougher but not too bad, miles 15 to 20 were fine but now and again I felt the odd twinge and Sunday night felt soreish, aches in my legs/ankles and even my chest felt kinda caught. If i took a deep breath I got caught coughing. I just think my neck was kinda aired or something though.

So, exactly 24hrs later I started another 20 miles. Kilmainham out to Dun Laoghaire, slightly flatter I guess. Legs were stiff yesterday, at the start of the run felt a little heavy but nothing crazy. From about mile 5 onwards I didn’t have a problem and due to a miscalculation I ended up doing 22miles, time was about 10mins slower than the day before. I had thought before this run that I might only do 15, or not do it at all but as back to back 20’s seemed like such a giant thing.
    But in the end I really think I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a run so much.

Last night I felt ok, a bit sore but nothing serious and not as bad as the night before, and definitely no sore chest or anything.

Today I feel a bit stiff but generally fine and surprised at how good I feel/felt during the run.

In terms of fuel I had water, cranberry juice, granola bar and chia seeds. The same on Sunday but with a small bit of lucozade sport. Have heard conflicting reports about chia seeds but I’ve replaced gels with them and I feel great. I find I feel more even throughout the runs, not so many highs and lows. Dunno if that’s down to sugar or what but it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Ok, so 40miles in 2 days.

20 miles on Sunday in the Phoenix Park – lovely bright clear dry day. Miles 5 – 1- were ok, 10 to 15 were tougher but not too bad, miles 15 to 20 were fine but now and again I felt the odd twinge and Sunday night felt soreish, aches in my legs/ankles and even my chest felt kinda caught. If i took a deep breath I got caught coughing. I just think my neck was kinda aired or something though.

So, exactly 24hrs later I started another 20 miles. Kilmainham out to Dun Laoghaire, slightly flatter I guess. Legs were stiff yesterday, at the start of the run felt a little heavy but nothing crazy. From about mile 5 onwards I didn’t have a problem and due to a miscalculation I ended up doing 22miles, time was about 10mins slower than the day before. I had thought before this run that I might only do 15, or not do it at all but as back to back 20’s seemed like such a giant thing.
    But in the end I really think I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a run so much.

Last night I felt ok, a bit sore but nothing serious and not as bad as the night before, and definitely no sore chest or anything.

Today I feel a bit stiff but generally fine and surprised at how good I feel/felt during the run.

In terms of fuel I had water, cranberry juice, granola bar and chia seeds. The same on Sunday but with a small bit of lucozade sport. Have heard conflicting reports about chia seeds but I’ve replaced gels with them and I feel great. I find I feel more even throughout the runs, not so many highs and lows. Dunno if that’s down to sugar or what but it works for me.

Well Done. Great running.

Well Done. Great running.

Agreed. You'll do great in Connemara.

Great training there RunningFool! Straight off i would imagine a large portion of the extra 10mins yesterday may have been stopping at traffic junctions seeing as you ran in the Park the day before.
    I'm looking at doing a similar b2b session this weekend and if I can manage that then happy days for Connemara as far as I'm concerned!
    Interesting also to note your lack of gels/carb drinks. I would love to see a decent independent survey/report about their usefulness and how much is actually required. They are probably out there but I've not come across any...

belcarra wrote: »
    Great training there RunningFool! Straight off i would imagine a large portion of the extra 10mins yesterday may have been stopping at traffic junctions seeing as you ran in the Park the day before.
    I'm looking at doing a similar b2b session this weekend and if I can manage that then happy days for Connemara as far as I'm concerned!
    Interesting also to note your lack of gels/carb drinks. I would love to see a decent independent survey/report about their usefulness and how much is actually required. They are probably out there but I've not come across any...

I do also plan on trying a 30miler on March 3rd - but overall I'm happy to get through the b2b 20's without much injury. I guess I just expected them to be harder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I do also plan on trying a 30miler on March 3rd - but overall I'm happy to get through the b2b 20's without much injury. I guess I just expected them to be harder.

Good training.
    Why don't you join our group 30 miler on march 3rd? Howth to Bray, there should be a good crowd of us (10+).

Thats super running RF. Gonna take inspiration from that and try and do the same this weekend.

belcarra wrote: »
    That's a very strange warm-up...!
    Any chance of a more detailed report of the race and how you felt running it? What kind of pace did you run at, etc?
    It would be interesting to hear a bit more about it!

Strange warm up indeed. I was getting sick of running to be honest over the past couple of weeks, wasnt enjoying it much with the increased mileage. The thought of another 20 miler wasnt very nice so I said it make it a bit more interesting.

the 21 miles were almost completely flat, if you are familiar with cork. I went Ballincollig-city centre-marina-blackrock castle-rochestown-monkstown carrigaline. Garmin gave me a distance of 20.88 miles - avg: 7:50 per mile. - one stop to stretch the hamstrings, take 2 gels and 500 mls of water mixed with NUUN.
    Had a banana & Kinetica recovery drink in the minutes pre the 5 mile race.
    Its quite an undulating 5 mile race, no major hills but up and down the whole time.
    I gave our 1 garmin to my wife for her run as I was sick of looking at it at that stage. I just wanted to run based on feel.
    I ran fine, lungs were seriously burning towards the end and my form suffered a bit, judging by a video I have seen toward the end of the race.

As it happens I finished in 31:44 -just over 6:20 per mile. That was to fast and I should have known better than endangering already tired muscles!
    But at the same time the time was pretty fast for me when you consider my 5 mile pb of 30:20.

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Strange warm up indeed. I was getting sick of running to be honest over the past couple of weeks, wasnt enjoying it much with the increased mileage. The thought of another 20 miler wasnt very nice so I said it make it a bit more interesting.

the 21 miles were almost completely flat, if you are familiar with cork. I went Ballincollig-city centre-marina-blackrock castle-rochestown-monkstown carrigaline. Garmin gave me a distance of 20.88 miles - avg: 7:50 per mile. - one stop to stretch the hamstrings, take 2 gels and 500 mls of water mixed with NUUN.
    Had a banana & Kinetica recovery drink in the minutes pre the 5 mile race.
    Its quite an undulating 5 mile race, no major hills but up and down the whole time.
    I gave our 1 garmin to my wife for her run as I was sick of looking at it at that stage. I just wanted to run based on feel.
    I ran fine, lungs were seriously burning towards the end and my form suffered a bit, judging by a video I have seen toward the end of the race.

As it happens I finished in 31:44 -just over 6:20 per mile. That was to fast and I should have known better than endangering already tired muscles!
    But at the same time the time was pretty fast for me when you consider my 5 mile pb of 30:20.

I used to live in Ballincollig for a year or so. Really enjoyed running down around there and into Cork. It all made the straight road a little more bearable when I did the marathon a few years back.

That's a serious day out! You gotta be careful though as you were probably quite lucky not to get any muscle injuries out of it, especially considering the waiting around before the 5 miler and then the much quicker effort involved.
    Sounds like you are in a very healthy position training wise anyways, even if not inspirationally 100%!!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Hey all, Conn will be my first Marathon. All was going well with 11 weeks completed without a missed session. Last week i injured my ankle so missed the whole weeks training, now the Physio says i can try it tonight and see how i get on. Hopefully it's fine.

My question is in relation to missing a whole weeks training. I should have done two 5 miles runs, an 8 mile and LSR of 13 mile. Now thats a short LSR so was happy i didnt miss one like this weekend which is 19 mile.

Do i try and catch back up with this traiing or completly leave it?

All feedback greatly appreciated. Sorry if there's an obvious answer.

jester1980 wrote: »
    Hey all, Conn will be my first Marathon. All was going well with 11 weeks completed without a missed session. Last week i injured my ankle so missed the whole weeks training, now the Physio says i can try it tonight and see how i get on. Hopefully it's fine.

My question is in relation to missing a whole weeks training. I should have done two 5 miles runs, an 8 mile and LSR of 13 mile. Now thats a short LSR so was happy i didnt miss one like this weekend which is 19 mile.

Do i try and catch back up with this traiing or completly leave it?

All feedback greatly appreciated. Sorry if there's an obvious answer.

Don't try and catch up. If you missed a week or less, jump back into the training as if nothing had happened.

If you missed more than one week, ease back into it.

But never, ever try and make up for missed workouts, no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Thanks for that mate, ill take note and just continue on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Don't try and catch up. If you missed a week or less, jump back into the training as if nothing had happened.

If you missed more than one week, ease back into it.

But never, ever try and make up for missed workouts, no matter what.

+1, if you try to catch up on the missed miles, you're more likely to put too much stress on the old injury, and put yourself back to square one. Write off the week and get back into it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Dragging this back from the depths as I've just entered (charity place) the half.
    Its my first ever half, but training has been going pretty well since January & I needed a goal to aim towards. I'll probably enter Craughwell 10 miler too as a good build-up race.
    Hoping for a sub 100mins, but I don't know if I've bitten off more than I can chew with my first half & the hills involved.
    Will probably head out for a training run on the hilly section one of the coming weekends.
    Also thinking of doing Rock & Road on March 3rd.
    What would people recommend - pacing the half, or racing the 10k ?

Half:

Dow99 - 2:15
    Thirstywork2 (if training goes well will defer to the full)
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo
    adamski8
    Roddy23 home before dark
    Pansophelia
    marchino
    Nikki2510
    spurscormac - sub 100 (hopefully)

Full:
    Micilín Muc: 4.30 4.00 - Life is too short for plodding!
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    neilc - 3:30
    HOT TO TROT- finish before cut off .
    Ertred - 3:45
    littlebug- get around...
    diddleyland-just get to the end.....
    Joey.de - Sub 4 and enjoy the Views
    Foxx92 - Finish the damn thing (My first marathon woooo)
    Funrunner95 - Sub 4 (for the craic)

Ultra:
    Mick Rice 4:15
    menoscemo: 5:29:59
    TFBubendorfer: 4:59:59
    Izoard
    Liamo123 : Too early to put my balls on the chopping block
    theboyblunder: sticking to liamo like a limpet for as long as possible
    Marthastew: finish with a smile on my face
    Oisin11178: Sub 6
    Belcarra: Aim is to finish, but it would be nice to be <6.5hrs...I'd be delighted to make the first page of the results (=6:25)!!
    EauRouge79: Just aiming to finish this - but sub 6 hrs hopefully
    ultraman1....not to be chicked by aimman
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5
    Claralara sub 6:30
    Digger sub 6:30
    Canine Marathoner: 5:29:59
    Aimman - Sub 6 and more importantly, Sub Ultraman1
    Grahamor - 6.30 (7.08 in 2011)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Managed to get through Donadea 50km in 4.25 (marathon in 3.45) and have done 3 Conn "fulls" in 3.39/3.45/3.48.

Felt good finishing Donadea (last lap was one of the quickest) and with a few Ironman tris behind me, I'm hoping the general stamina is there.

I'm tempted to aim for sub-6, but just wondering of people's experiences of the final 1/3 in the context of the Ultra?

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    Managed to get through Donadea 50km in 4.25 (marathon in 3.45) and have done 3 Conn "fulls" in 3.39/3.45/3.48.

Felt good finishing Donadea (last lap was one of the quickest) and with a few Ironman tris behind me, I'm hoping the general stamina is there.

I'm tempted to aim for sub-6, but just wondering of people's experiences of the final 1/3 in the context of the Ultra?

4:25 over 50k would indicate that sub-6 in Connemara is indeed realistic. You're obviously in good shape already and as long as you're sensible, recover properly from Donadea and don't overdo it between now and Connemara, you should be okay.

Now, Connemara is definitely more challenging than Donadea and the road surface will be less forgiving, so that's a factor that you have to keep in mind. The last 13 miles in Connemara are tough and you can expect to lose a few additional minutes on the two big climbs, and the single most important factor is that you don't wear yourself out too much on the first 26 miles. Sub-6 is not a given but realistic. You should be there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Half:

Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo
    adamski8
    Roddy23 home before dark
    Pansophelia
    marchino
    Nikki2510
    hardCopy - 1:50

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    littlebug- get around...

Ultra:
    Izoard
    Belcarra: Aim is to finish, but it would be nice to be <6.5hrs...I'd be delighted to make the first page of the results (=6:25)!!
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

4:25 over 50k would indicate that sub-6 in Connemara is indeed realistic. You're obviously in good shape already and as long as you're sensible, recover properly from Donadea and don't overdo it between now and Connemara, you should be okay.

Now, Connemara is definitely more challenging than Donadea and the road surface will be less forgiving, so that's a factor that you have to keep in mind. The last 13 miles in Connemara are tough and you can expect to lose a few additional minutes on the two big climbs, and the single most important factor is that you don't wear yourself out too much on the first 26 miles. Sub-6 is not a given but realistic. You should be there or thereabouts.

Cheers TFB...hopefully there will be a few others in the same boat.

BTW, does an Ironman-ish race in Abu Dhabi on Sat week qualify as "sensible"?;)

BTW, does an Ironman-ish race in Abu Dhabi on Sat week qualify as "sensible"?;)

:rolleyes:
    About as sensible as me going for a PB in Ballycotton Sunday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I ran 4:21 in Donadea last year and went 5:50 in Conn Ultra. I would have ran 5:40 had it not been for cramp in the last 10k 9aerobically I felt great.

You should be fine for sub 6. I'd suggest about 3:50 for the full and take it from there over the last 13.1...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OldDogHardRoad

Half:
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo
    adamski8
    Roddy23 home before dark
    Pansophelia
    marchino
    Nikki2510
    OldDogHardRoad - 1:50 ...ish

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    littlebug- get around...

Ultra:
    Izoard
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Half:
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo
    adamski8
    Roddy23 home before dark
    Pansophelia
    marchino
    Nikki2510

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    littlebug- get around...

Ultra:
    Izoard
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5
    Corkrunner71 - Moved over from Full for 1st go at 39 so not sure of time. Hoping to enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 matildda

Half:
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo
    adamski8
    Roddy23 home before dark
    Pansophelia
    marchino
    Nikki2510

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    littlebug- get around...
    matildda - to finish would be good, Sub 5 a dream.

Ultra:
    Izoard
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5
    Corkrunner71 - Moved over from Full for 1st go at 39 so not sure of time. Hoping to enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

i have a friend going for a sub 6hr in the ultra,his best marathon time is 3.55,i think he will do it handy enough,hes going out at 8.50 pace and then just servive the last3rd,i think you will do it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

i have a friend going for a sub 6hr in the ultra,his best marathon time is 3.55,i think he will do it handy enough,hes going out at 8.50 pace and then just servive the last3rd,i think you will do it:)
    Unless his marathon pb is soft compared to the condition he is in, i reckon its a big ask to get sub 6 in conn based on a 3.55 marathon p.b.
    Especially considering the last third in the hardest.

Advertisement