Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Hi just wondering can some one switch from the ultra to the full marathon? I think I saw something about it on this thread but I can't search on my phone! Thanks in advance
    belcarra wrote: »
    I think it was allowed up until the 1st of March but no longer.
    It may be worth giving them a call or emailing them.

Confused, there are a few boardsies who know a few important people...

Lads, anyone there with a contact to help Confused here... RQ, Meno, Oisin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Just check to see if there's another bus... 9.20 might be the first one.
    yeah im hoping thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Hi stunner.. You are reading the website correctly, spectators have to get a bus

Now this I just can't understand. They don't have road closures on the N59 (main road to Clifden), so how can they stop someone from parking along that road & walking down towards the finish line?

Anyone with any knowledge of whats happened in the past care to fill in us Connemara newbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Now this I just can't understand. They don't have road closures on the N59 (main road to Clifden), so how can they stop someone from parking along that road & walking down towards the finish line?

Anyone with any knowledge of whats happened in the past care to fill in us Connemara newbs?

The site says that any cars parked around the start areas or anywhere on the route will be removed... Not sure if you could park elsewhere and walk though..... I'm sure someone on here will enlighten.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Confused, there are a few boardsies who know a few important people...

Lads, anyone there with a contact to help Confused here... RQ, Meno, Oisin?

I've pm'd confused :)

There is VERY limited parking in Maam Cross. I was picked up from there a couple of years ago. Getting back to Galway is a nightmare with the traffic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

There is no room for parking at the finish, which is precisely why they're asking you not to drive there.

If you want to abandon your car somewhere on the roadside and walk towards the finish, that's your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

There is no room for parking at the finish, which is precisely why they're asking you not to drive there.

If you want to abandon your car somewhere on the roadside and walk towards the finish, that's your own business.

I'll be running, so its a bus for me, its some spectators who want to go out that I was wondering about.
    I was just confused as regards the "ban" on parking.
    Obviously there will be no access to turn down towards the finish from Maam Cross, so its up to them to decide if they want to avail of the park & ride, or take their chances with parking on the main road and making their way on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'll be running, so its a bus for me, its some spectators who want to go out that I was wondering about.
    Obviously there will be no access to turn down towards the finish from Maam Cross, so its up to them to decide if they want to avail of the park & ride, or take their chances with parking on the main road and making their way on foot.
    The risk is that emergency services may need access to the race route. So if vehicles are deemed to be causing obstruction, they will be towed. Was it last year or the year before that the ambulance (in a rush to take an injured runner to hospital) took out the finish line gantry?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tapering is going as expected somewhat anyway, the last 3 weeks or so have been crap for me, all going fine up till then and was knocking time off my 20mile LSR's on each run but then got sick and have been slowly recovering since.

The last 20mile run last week ended badly, also managed to injure my left leg somewhat, its not too bad but muscle hurts abit still.

Going to find these hills hard going due to the massive lack of hills in most of my training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kittycat77

I have both watched this race as a spectator, and ran it in the past. I know a few people who managed to drive out and park somewhere in Maam Cross, but really I dont think its worth the hassle, the bus service is excellant. When I went to spectate I drove to Oughterard, and just hopped on a bus straight away, and same with leaving after the race after, the buses fill up really quickly and leave straight away, so its really convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

The risk is that emergency services may need access to the race route. So if vehicles are deemed to be causing obstruction, they will be towed. Was it last year or the year before that the ambulance (in a rush to take an injured runner to hospital) took out the finish line gantry?

That was 2 years ago when people were dropping all over the place with the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

From the race website:
    "Energy drinks will be available at mile 9, 19 and 22 for the full marathon."
    Hi folks, for those that have run in the last year or two, is the above generally reliable? I ran a few years ago and only noticed isotonic drinks around mile 22. Thanks

Any thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Also, anyone know what brand of isotonic drink is provided? Tx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Ok I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to go for the 6 hour mark… Yikes. Getting nervous now with c. 3 days, 22 hours, 40 minutes to go...

So is this how we're looking re Ultra pace groups?

5:30
    Menoscemo
    Caninemarathoner
    Corkrunner71

6:00
    Oisin
    Izoard
    Marthastew
    claralara

Somewhere in between…
    Digger

6:30
    Ultraman1

What about Belcarra, Grahamor and rest of yee? :)

Also - any weather updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

claralara wrote: »
    Ok I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to go for the 6 hour mark… Yikes. Getting nervous now with c. 3 days, 22 hours, 40 minutes to go...

So is this how we're looking re Ultra pace groups?

Menoscemo
    Caninemarathoner
    Corkrunner71

Oisin
    Izoard
    Marthastew
    claralara

Somewhere in between…
    Digger

Ultraman1

What about Belcarra, Grahamor and rest of yee? :)

Also - any weather updates?
    The suffrogetes would be proud of you orna:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

roro2 wrote: »
    Any thoughts anyone?
    EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Also, anyone know what brand of isotonic drink is provided? Tx

Yes, they have always provided energy drink and the brand was always High5 as far as I know. But there was always so little drink in the cups they gave me, I always felt it wasn't particularly helpful.

These kind of questions should really go straight to the organisers rather then here, I think. It improves your chances of getting the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

im doing the hald marathon, bus leaves at 9.20 should be a the race start by 10. that leaves 2 hrs standing around! is this just a bit mad????
    TBH that was one of the best parts of the day for me last year, met a few random people, sat on a wall looking out on the lake and had great craic...

TBH that was one of the best parts of the day for me last year, met a few random people, sat on a wall looking out on the lake and had great craic...
    If somebody could bring a guitar, I'll bring some cans, and we can have a sing-a-long.

I hope to god its not to hot Sunday. Ill be dropping my drinks earlier than planned just in case.

• Advertisement

Just on the whole bus thing....Can spectators buy bus tickets on the day or is the only option for runners to preorder and collect with our numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Just on the whole bus thing....Can spectators buy bus tickets on the day or is the only option for runners to preorder and collect with our numbers

According to the official site " There is a limited Park and Ride facility will be available from both Clifden and Oughterard. From Clifden Station House Hotel at 12 noon.
    From Oughterard at 12 noon.
    Please Park at the GAA pitches in Oughterard village.

Tickets must be purchased in advance HERE: "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Menoscemo
    Caninemarathoner
    Corkrunner71

Oisin
    Izoard
    Marthastew
    claralara
    Aimman

Somewhere in between…
    Digger

Ultraman1

Yeah, I expect to finish about 6 O'Clock, put my name on that time so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Aimman wrote: »
    Menoscemo
    Caninemarathoner
    Corkrunner71

Oisin
    Izoard
    Marthastew
    claralara
    Aimman

Somewhere in between…
    Digger

Ultraman1

Yeah, I expect to finish about 6 O'Clock, put my name on that time so :D

Lonely ol' day out for Anto there...can still see him finishing surrounded by a bevvy of 1/2 mara beauties, though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Menoscemo
    Caninemarathoner
    Corkrunner71

Oisin
    Izoard
    Marthastew
    claralara
    Aimman
    Belcarra

Somewhere in between…
    Digger

Ultraman1

Was planning to go for 6:20 at the start of training but think I could manage close to 6:00 now so will try and stick with the group for as long as possible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Izoard wrote: »
    Lonely ol' day out for Anto there...can still see him finishing surrounded by a bevvy of 1/2 mara beauties, though:)

theres worse ways to finish a race;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

belcarra wrote: »

Was planning to go for 6:20 at the start of training but think I could manage close to 6:00 now so will try and stick with the group for as long as possible and pray i dont meet anto

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Hi guys, anyone know how good/bad the expo/registration is. I need to pick up some high5 gels for Sunday and was wondering would it be safe enough waiting till then to get them.

neilc wrote: »
    Hi guys, anyone know how good/bad the expo/registration is. I need to pick up some high5 gels for Sunday and was wondering would it be safe enough waiting till then to get them.
    Nope, the 'expo' is very small. Possibly some Ron Hill gear on sale, but not much more. Best to pick up your gels beforehand.

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    If the expo is in the same place as last year, there is a cycle shop right beside it and i got a box of high 5 gels in there. Cant remember exactly how much i paid but there were fairly cheap.

Advertisement