Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

menoscemo - i think i will take the same bus as you...but it'll be tough for me to stay on board for the last ten miles - but i will give it a shot...
    i'm not being reckless, but i'd sooner give 5.30 a shot & fall short than play it too safe & wonder what would have happened if i'd tried...however, remaining responsible & realistic all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Re number collection, is it ok if my sister collects mine on the Friday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

menoscemo wrote: »
    On the bus Idea.

My plan is to go out at 8 min/mile and go through marathon in 3:30. That means at worst I should finish in sub 5:30 but if everything goes well and I feel good after 26.2 can keep up the pace and finish in 5:15- 5:20.

Lets call it the sub 5:30 bus. Any takers?

Great stuff. I'm also planning on the 8min pace strategy on the day and will see how I feel for last 13.1 miles. My number is 39122
    Really looking forward to it now.

Re number collection, is it ok if my sister collects mine on the Friday ?

Have you tried contacting them through the email on the race website. Photo id is a requirement according to the email i received last week. Having said that, I guess your sister may be able to bring your photo id and confirmation email to get your number. Would def be worth getting them to confirm this week if ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo - i think i will take the same bus as you...but it'll be tough for me to stay on board for the last ten miles - but i will give it a shot...
    i'm not being reckless, but i'd sooner give 5.30 a shot & fall short than play it too safe & wonder what would have happened if i'd tried...however, remaining responsible & realistic all the same
    Great stuff. I'm also planning on the 8min pace strategy on the day and will see how I feel for last 13.1 miles. My number is 39122
    Really looking forward to it now.

Good to have you on board guys :D
    I'll be number 39065
    Wearing a red and yellow Tallaght AC singlet, give me ashout if you see me before the race, otherwise we should fall into a similar pace on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    The thing about groups in conn and esp with our group of 3 last year, they more than likely will fracture at leenane. We rolled in and were all in great nick. 1 toilet stop and meno had trouble finding his bag. Plus the hill will be the first tester for most and groups will naturally part ways anyway. Im fine going through 26.2 in 3.50.

I'd say by the time we get to Leenane you'll want to push me in a ditch if I'm as chatty as I usually am:) I'll have to find some new marathon/half marathon friends to annoy for the last 13.1 miles, alhtough I imagine I'll run out of steam and be happy to follow the road at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good to have you on board guys :D
    I'll be number 39065
    Wearing a red and yellow Tallaght AC singlet and carrying a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and a 12 pack of King crisps, give me ashout if you see me before the race, otherwise we should fall into a similar pace on the course.

:confused::D

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'd say by the time we get to Leenane you'll want to push me in a ditch if I'm as chatty as I usually am:) I'll have to find some new marathon/half marathon friends to annoy for the last 13.1 miles, alhtough I imagine I'll run out of steam and be happy to follow the road at that stage

It's your job to keep CL talking, it worked at Donadea...:)

My plan was to look at about a 6:15 finish time but might consider trying the 6 hour group and see if I can last home. That said, it might be a long, lonely last 9 miles if the legs are as bad as they were on my recent 30 mile stint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Boethius

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Hi,

When do you think the latest day should be to do a long run?
    I'm doing the half.
    I plan to run the loop around Sutton-Howth (10 miles) tomorrow as it is meant to have similar hills in part to Connemara.

If I do this run and a 10km run on Friday would it be ok to do a flat 10 mile run on Sunday, or is that overdoing it?

Thanks in advance

All this ultra talk is demoralising for a halfy....

Ebixa, I reckon even a flat ten mile combined with racing a 10k might be a but much 7 days before. I've finished my longs with a 12 miler last week and am gonna drop to maybe 6/7 this weekend.
    I would have thought the 10k race alone would be a good taper?

This is my first half though so asking more worriedly than with any great authority... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

The last weekend prior to the ultra - I'm thinking back-to-back easy ten-milers? maybe a six-miler on each of Tuesday and Thursday...

any opinions on this gratefully received.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

sounds good canine marathoner. I'll be doing 5 or 6 on sat and 15 on sunday. All the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

19deg down west today:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

neilc wrote: »
    19deg down west today:eek:

Was fairly warm there both years I did it.

I'm out of the half now. Disappointing to miss out on Conn two years in a row, will have to do the directors run and the ultra to make up for it next year.

Have fun kids.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

really looking forward to this day next week. I hope it's not as warm as today! Last year was pretty warm if I recall. It was a scorcher in Dublin that weekend but the 'ol Connemara mist kept things manageable :)

Last year I ran it in 1:54 on virtually no training and paid for it with a bad niggle with kept me off the road for about a month after.

This year I've been training reasonably well for the past month so expecting better things this time around.

Does anyone have any good last minute accommodation recommendations for around Galway City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Was fairly warm there both years I did it.

it was always warm years ago:D....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

How is everyone doing with taper madness?

Get some hot weather runs in this week, for the near tropical weather which is bound to hit Conn this weekend :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Get some hot weather runs in this week, for the near tropical weather which is bound to hit Conn this weekend :eek:

We didnt get such a roasting down here in the south yesterday. Lovely day but a nice cool breeze. Did 10 miles.

Looks like the temp might start dropping a bit from Friday onwards. Might only be looking at 10/12 degrees over the weekend in the west.

Heres hoping anyway!

:eek:

Most people would assume the 4 hr runs would be the tough part of any training plan, but I think it's actually the taper. Going out for small mileage after all the long runs just makes the week or two before a race go all too slowly. Roll on Sunday :)

Less than a week to go and no one has posted a weather forecast yet:)
    I thought in depth weather discussion and forecast comparing was a definite in taper madness....We must be all too busy enjoying this heatwave

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Marthastew wrote: »
    Less than a week to go and no one has posted a weather forecast yet:)
    I thought in depth weather discussion and forecast comparing was a definite in taper madness....We must be all too busy enjoying this heatwave
    I stopped, because Thomas just gives out to me. But just to annoy him:
    1'C-10'C, sunny, light breeze, 2m/s. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I stopped, because Thomas just gives out to me. But just to annoy him:
    1'C-10'C, sunny, light breeze, 2m/s. :)

That's not what metcheck.com says ....
    but it's reasonably similar :rolleyes:

Would do me just fine, but I won't take too much notice of what they say until at least Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My report came from yr.no. Light breeze has now been downgraded to 'light-air'. :)

That's not what metcheck.com says ....
    but it's reasonably similar :rolleyes:

Would do me just fine, but I won't take too much notice of what they say until at least Friday.
    My report came from yr.no. Light breeze has now been downgraded to 'light-air'. :)

That's more like it:D
    We need a few more reports and I can tick the "Weather discussed incessantly" box on my taper list...
    Now, I just need the "superstitious good omens" to start appearing, I'm off to find a black cat chasing two magpies

How are ya lads

Doing half next week.

Can anyone tell me what the story is with spectators. I have an aunt and uncle in Galway who were going to drive out from the city and cheer me on, but from reading the website it looks like they have to get a bus out there?? There doesn't seem to be any parking?

Or am I misreading the website? It wouldn't be the first time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

im doing the hald marathon, bus leaves at 9.20 should be a the race start by 10. that leaves 2 hrs standing around! is this just a bit mad????

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

Hi just wondering can some one switch from the ultra to the full marathon? I think I saw something about it on this thread but I can't search on my phone! Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hi just wondering can some one switch from the ultra to the full marathon? I think I saw something about it on this thread but I can't search on my phone! Thanks in advance

I think it was allowed up until the 1st of March but no longer.
    It may be worth giving them a call or emailing them.

:eek:

Didn't have time to taper vagmeister so not suffering any madness :)

adamski8 wrote: »
    im doing the hald marathon, bus leaves at 9.20 should be a the race start by 10. that leaves 2 hrs standing around! is this just a bit mad????

Just check to see if there's another bus... 9.20 might be the first one.

• Advertisement

How are ya lads

Doing half next week.

Can anyone tell me what the story is with spectators. I have an aunt and uncle in Galway who were going to drive out from the city and cheer me on, but from reading the website it looks like they have to get a bus out there?? There doesn't seem to be any parking?

Or am I misreading the website? It wouldn't be the first time :pac:

Hi stunner.. You are reading the website correctly, spectators have to get a bus

Advertisement