Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

really looking forward to conemara full this year, the last couple of years training has been all curtailed due to injury and a new arrival but the last few months im running fairly regularly so starting to make a bit of progress again .
    wont be setting a PB but hope to be well under 3:30
    which i will be delighted about as six months ago i struggled with a 9 minute mile.
    anyway good to be back see ye all in connemara dont forget your hats, scarfs, rain coats and suncream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

SUNGOD wrote: »
    really looking forward to conemara full this year, the last couple of years training has been all curtailed due to injury and a new arrival but the last few months im running fairly regularly so starting to make a bit of progress again .
    which i will be delighted about as six months ago i struggled with a 9 minute mile.
    anyway good to be back see ye all in connemara dont forget your hats, scarfs, rain coats and suncream
    good to see u back on form SG,mite see u at finish.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

2 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 42 seconds...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

SUNGOD has risen from the dead! Good to see you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

claralara wrote: »
    2 days, 22 hours, 56 minutes and 42 seconds...:D
    Connemarathon%20countdown.jpg
    Beat that!!
    (Sure sign of taper boredom waiting 5 mins for the clock to countdown to this!!)

• Advertisement

Right, I was busy over lunch creating a little pace band template for my fellow ultra heads...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

belcarra wrote: »
    Right, I was busy over lunch creating a little pace band template for my fellow ultra heads...

You can always tell the misguided attempts by the triathletes to convert us.
    The course is marked in miles, not km. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Nice work belcarra - I think a 3.59 mara will be cutting it a little fine, given the joys of the final 1/3.

Maybe 3.50, leaving 2.09 to the finish?

Izoard wrote: »
    Nice work belcarra - I think a 3.59 mara will be cutting it a little fine, given the joys of the final 1/3.

Much appreciated.

Now, if you could spend the afternoon amending as per the comments above, that would be even more appreciated.

That's what you get for doing things over lunch... you'll never do it properly on your own time! ;)

Izoard wrote: »

claralara wrote: »
    Much appreciated.

Now, if you could spend the afternoon amending as per the comments above, that would be even more appreciated.

That's what you get for doing things over lunch... you'll never do it properly on your own time! ;)

Jeesh! A man tries to do a favour...!!:p

TFB - I'm running in kms so miles don't matter! (And I ain't no T** troll:D)

Izoard - You could be right about the banking of time but I'll be at the mercy of the rest of the 6hr gang so hopefully they might be on a even split strategy. I think 3:50 marathon split would be too much for me (With the potential for a miserable final 13 miles) but if I tail off just a little after Leenane I won't be too upset as long as I'm still less than 6:30. Good point though!

CL - too right!

• Advertisement

Izoard - You could be right about the banking of time but I'll be at the mercy of the rest of the 6hr gang so hopefully they might be on a even split strategy. I think 3:50 marathon split would be too much for me (With the potential for a miserable final 13 miles) but if I tail off just a little after Leenane I won't be too upset as long as I'm still less than 6:30. Good point though!

CL - too right!

I think the moral of this is - If you want something done, ask Belcarra to do it. If you want something done right, do it yourself. On someone else's time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yeah ... it's not like we're ungrateful, you know. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

!

Problem is the Km's on your garmin won't correspond to the KM's on the course (apart from the fact there are no KM markers). Like all mara's or ultras you will run further on your garmin than the course indicates so it is better to check your pace against the markers (which are in Miles). I believe my garmin measured the course as 39.55 miles last year.

Also I am with TFB. The ideal 6 hr stratgey would be to go through mara in about 3.50-3.55 and leave yourself a bit of wiggle room over the final 13.1 miles. You never know; if everything goes perfect you might find yourself not slowing and run about 5:50ish.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Problem is the Km's on your garmin won't correspond to the KM's on the course (apart from the fact there are no KM markers). Like all mara's or ultras you will run further on your garmin than the course indicates so it is better to check your pace against the markers (which are in Miles). I believe my garmin measured the course as 39.55 miles last year.

Also I am with TFB. The ideal 6 hr stratgey would be to go through mara in about 3.50-3.55 and leave yourself a bit of wiggle room over the final 13.1 miles. You never know; if everything goes perfect you might find yourself not slowing and run about 5:50ish.

There's 1min 28 secs wiggle room built in there already for that reason.
    I never rely on mile or km markers for any race as they are often all over the place so never got into the habit.
    Personally I'm happy to go by the garmin in the knowledge it will always be a little out. Worked fine in Donadea!

I think I have addressed Izoard(TFB)'s splits comment earlier. 3:51 is my current marathon pb so 3:50 as part of Sunday's race might be a bit too vainglorious!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

3:51 is my current marathon pb so 3:50 as part of Sunday's race might be a bit too vainglorious!

That brings up an interesting question actually. My marathon PB is 3:43. I did a 30mile training run in 5:30 - this was very slow and included traffic lights, traffic etc

So is 6.30 a realistic goal to aim for?

That brings up an interesting question actually. My marathon PB is 3:43. I did a 30mile training run in 5:30 - this was very slow and included traffic lights, traffic etc

Training runs are training runs and should have no effect on a race. I doubt you were running flat out?
    I mean I ran 5:40 in a 30 mile training run but will be gunning for 5:20-5:30 in Conn.

If you are in 3:43 mara Shape (or better) and have put int he necessary miles there is no reason why you shouldn't break 6 hours tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Have to get the 6pm bus home from work this evening, instead of racing the 6pm bus home.
    Dont you just hate Tapers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

neilc wrote: »
    Hi guys, anyone know how good/bad the expo/registration is. I need to pick up some high5 gels for Sunday and was wondering would it be safe enough waiting till then to get them.

Www.fuel4sport.ie will be selling his wares at registration. So no problems there.

I'm actually in the area for a stag this weekend. Too late to run the half as training??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Training runs are training runs and should have no effect on a race. I doubt you were running flat out?
    I mean I ran 5:40 in a 30 mile training run but will be gunning for 5:20-5:30 in Conn.

If you are in 3:43 mara Shape (or better) and have put int he necessary miles there is no reason why you shouldn't break 6 hours tbh.

Well the 3.43 was about a year ago and I had an injury issue in between so I definitely have slowed. May change between now and then but i think overall I might set off with 6.30 in mind and see how I feel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Aww you'd have to comeback when I'm not around. Good to see you're still sort of on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Hi all,

My wife and I ran the half last year for the first time. Both of us ran it just over 2 hours, so we were all set to break the two hour mark this year. I'm from the area, only five miles from the finish line.

We are both off work today with a chest infection. :( As things stand I won't be able to walk the prom not alone run 13 miles.

We can't find any contact number but we've seen on the FAQ that Connemarathon don't do refunds.

Does anyone know if they'll let us defer untill 2013. I've e-mailed but I'm sure they are flat out.

Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks.

Doubt you will get a refund but perhaps a deferral til next year. It'd be at the race director's discretion so only guessing otherwise. If you've been to the doctor then perhaps a medical cert may strengthen your case?

3:51 is my current marathon pb so 3:50 as part of Sunday's race might be a bit too vainglorious!

I agree with menoscemo - you should be well able for sub 6hrs...
    come join our group if ya like.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Doubt you will get a refund but perhaps a deferral til next year. It'd be at the race director's discretion so only guessing otherwise. If you've been to the doctor then perhaps a medical cert may strengthen your case?

We'd prefer to get a deferral if possible. If the race director see's us that would be enough. We might go the Pillo Hotel tomorrow and see.
    We'll wear masks to prevent spreading our infections. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Best of luck everybody this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Anyone staying in Westport the weekend for the half ? I am thinking of trying to arrange transport to the start only (I have my own plan for the finish) but if I had enough bums on seats we could arrange a mini bus at a reasonable cost ( big assumption as I havent checked it yet !!) .
    Still not sure why the dont officially arrange a bus from Westport but we cant have it every way I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Surely you mean 4:40 Meno?

digger2d2 wrote: »

oops :o
    Point stands though, training runs are for training, if we can't go faster on the day something is wrong (especially for a 3:43 marathoner- it hardly took 1hr 50 for the extra 3.8 miles :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Best of luck to all the ultras running next Sunday. Been reading most of your training logs and posts on a/t/r. I'm convinced you're all nuts but inspirational nuts all the same :D:D

Best of luck and hopefully the weather holds for you all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

digger2d2 wrote: »
    oops :o
    Point stands though, training runs are for training, if we can't go faster on the day something is wrong (especially for a 3:43 marathoner- it hardly took 1hr 50 for the extra 3.8 miles :pac:)

I thought you were turning into Eamo for a minute :D(sorry Eamo);)

Advertisement