Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Srooney03 wrote: »
    watched 3 eps of Califonacation and the stream was flawless...full HD with no buffers on 25mb UPC BB.

I wouldnt be surprised! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

is there a text based catalogue of the US Netflix anywhere?

Here ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

How are people finding the HD streaming? When I try to stream HD (watching yellowstone national park documentary) I get one frame on the TV every second. I'm using the following HTPC:

E35M1-M PRO
    Integrated AMD Dual-Core Processor E-350 with AMD Radeon™ HD 6310 Graphics
    4gb ddr3
    and i just shoved in a nvidia GT430 incase my issue is there.

I'm on vodafone 8mb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Here ya go.

That link has a list of "Notable Titles Expiring Soon"

Does that mean that titles get removed from the catalogue? I didn't think that would be the case. Certainly not the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    That link has a list of "Notable Titles Expiring Soon"

Does that mean that titles get removed from the catalogue? I didn't think that would be the case. Certainly not the norm.
    Pretty much the norm for digital delivery services, I'm afraid. Have seen titles disappear from Spotify and iTunes in the past. Contracts are only for a set time, and if the contract ends or sometimes for other reasons titles can get taken away (Disney for example stopped making Tron available on iTunes before Tron: Legacy was released to promote the DVD rerelease).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Watching a few episodes Top Gear but most have been cut to 50 minutes for the original 60. very annoying :mad::mad:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

h3000 wrote: »
    Watching a few episodes Top Gear but most have been cut to 50 minutes for the original 60. very annoying :mad::mad:

Less Jeremy Clarkson and those other two goons would be an advantage for most people. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

h3000 wrote: »

Blame BBC Worldwide for that. I stopped watching on Dave for that very reason.

Signed up today and after a proper look through the films on offer on the Xbox I'm rather happy with the service, especially when they have HD versions of films such as Thief, A Boy and His Dog, etc. The selection will have to be expanded befit the coming months and I'm hoping for HD versions of Road House, Night of the Comet, Return of the Living Dead, etc.

Streaming Jim Jeffries stand up in HD without an issue atm.

They Definetly need to clean up the catagorise and search function, really should be an A-Z where you can go through everything.

In the Xbox when searching by a single letter it only brings up a few results, I saw Johnnie To's Breaking News being recommended when I was watching Hard Boiled but when I searched B it wasn't listed. Came up when I searched Br.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

They Definetly need to clean up the catagorise and search function, really should be an A-Z where you can go through everything.

In the Xbox when searching by a single letter it only brings up a few results, I saw Johnnie To's Breaking News being recommended when I was watching Hard Boiled but when I searched B it wasn't listed. Came up when I searched Br.

Same on the PS3. Gives the impression there is far lee content available than there actually is.

After trying the search alphabetically, I sat there trying to think of titles to put in to the search bar. Not ideal for having a browse really. Full alphabetical listings surely are a must for the site, make sense and can't be that hard to implement.

It's certainly worth the time and effort to rate as much stuff as you can in as many categories as you can, purely to get recommendations, many of which aren't obviously visible otherwise.

adox wrote: »

Same on the PS3. Gives the impression there is far lee content available than there actually is.

After trying the search alphabetically, I sat there trying to think of titles to put in to the search bar. Not ideal for having a browse really. Full alphabetical listings surely are a must for the site, make sense and can't be that hard to implement.

It's certainly worth the time and effort to rate as much stuff as you can in as many categories as you can, purely to get recommendations, many of which aren't obviously visible otherwise.

the PS3 app doesn't seem to be working correctly, the anime section didn't appear for me. Hard Boiled went out of synch on both Xbox and PS3, only film it's happened to that I've tested so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I didn't research this properly either. I thought I would have been able to watch the Hangover 2 but it seems it's older legacy stuff.

Is there any streaming service that's lets you watch recent stuff?

the PS3 app doesn't seem to be working correctly, the anime section didn't appear for me. Hard Boiled went out of synch on both Xbox and PS3, only film it's happened to that I've tested so far.

Just had a look there Hard Boiled is way out of sync, maybe three or four seconds. The anime section is showing up for me on PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Less Jeremy Clarkson and those other two goons would be an advantage for most people. :D

Each to their own and all that ;)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

G-Money wrote: »
    I didn't research this properly either. I thought I would have been able to watch the Hangover 2 but it seems it's older legacy stuff.

There is no such streaming service and if it were it would be a hell of a lot more than 7 euro a month. There are a few places where you can rent films to stream but you pay per film and it's for a fixed period of time.

Really enjoying what Netflix offers, it just desperately needs an A-Z. All they have to do us copy The Sky movies app on the Xbox, last time I used it I found it easy to use as it let you see everything that was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

G-Money wrote: »

For recent stuff such as the Hangover 2, use iTunes, where you pay per movie... Ideally with a USA iTunes account (much better selection).

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

The parental controls are a joke!

This is what I have to go through to stop children watching films they shouldn't but also let adults watch what they want:

1- Go to Netflix and enter my email address and password
    2- Go to My Account
    3- Click Parental Controls
    4- Re-enter my email address and password
    5- Change the maximum rating allowed
    6- Wait (Up to 8 hours!) for the changes to take effect
    7- Watch the film on the TV
    8- Go back to the computer and login
    9- Go to Netflix and enter my email address and password
    10- Go to My Account
    11- Click Parental Controls
    12- Re-enter my email address and password
    13- Change the maximum rating allowed
    14- Wait again (For up to another 8 hours) for the changes to take effect

During those 8 hours children could watch Sin City, Old Boy, Deathproof, Secretary and countless other films. Jesus wept.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

bertie4evr wrote: »
    The parental controls are a joke!

This is what I have to go through to stop children watching films they shouldn't but also let adults watch what they want:

1- Go to Netflix and enter my email address and password
    2- Go to My Account
    3- Click Parental Controls
    4- Re-enter my email address and password
    5- Change the maximum rating allowed
    6- Wait (Up to 8 hours!) for the changes to take effect
    7- Watch the film on the TV
    8- Go back to the computer and login
    9- Go to Netflix and enter my email address and password
    10- Go to My Account
    11- Click Parental Controls
    12- Re-enter my email address and password
    13- Change the maximum rating allowed
    14- Wait again (For up to another 8 hours) for the changes to take effect

During those 8 hours children could watch Sin City, Old Boy, Deathproof, Secretary and countless other films. Jesus wept.

/rant

Shouldnt have had kids then should you. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I'm currently enjoying the service. I genuinely don't believe that it has enough content to maintain my interest longer than a few months, but I fully expect that to be nullified by newly added content in the coming weeks.

So at the moment, I've only a couple of real gripes;
    • The interface is definitely lacking
    • Missing seasons of series... it's fine when it's later seasons missing (as we expect them to be added in time), but when it's actually earlier seasons that are missing (á la South Park), it's quite an annoyance.
    Other than that, I think it bodes well for the future. If there's evidence that they'll be true to their word on adding content, I'll definitely be a paying customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Hogzy wrote: »
    Shouldnt have had kids then should you. :p

Thats the thing! They're my two younger brothers, I couldn't care less what the little bastards see, yet everyone has to suffer.

Kinda shocked to find the excellent Habit available in HD on it. Never in a million years did I ever expect to see it there. I would never have thought to search for it and was it not due to me simply searching letters at random, I would never have found it.

It's Habit not Hanit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kinda shocked to find the excellent Hanit available in HD on it. Never in a million years did I ever expect to see it there. I would never have thought to search for it and was it not due to me simply searching letters at random, I would never have found it.

Theres loads of stuff there I wasnt expecting.
    Really wasnt expecting Still Crazy for some reason :/
    Not complaining though :D

Theres loads of stuff there I wasnt expecting.
    Really wasnt expecting Still Crazy for some reason :/
    Not complaining though :D

I meant to write Habit, hate typing on phone.

If they don't add a full A-Z I can see myself canceling the service after awhile, an unlimited streaming service should give you the ability to go in and easily see everything that you have access to. It should not have you spending valuable film watching time trying to think of titles to watch. Still it's early days, I'm sure someone will hear our pleas and throw one on there. Also like if I could watch my anime in its original language with subtitles.

The app just stopped working on my Xbox and when I signed back in I noticed that there's a few new categories, recently watched, picks for me and a few films selected based on what I watched.

Got this off another thread and it works a treat. Change your DNS settings on your PS3, reboot the PS3 then enter Netflix. When you hit the Netflic icon, hold down select and start and it will ask you if you want to re enter your log in details. Say yes, re enter your username and password that you set your Irish account up with and hey presto, you are on the US store. Huge difference in the library. :)

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291530-setting-up-ps3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Signed up for the month, already I can see myself staying with it. 7 Euros - even if I watch 3 things a month, I'll still feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Watched a good few things so far and all have been flawless.

Here's the whingy points, but all of these are so minor and won't turn me off the service
    - fast forwarding is a bit of a pain
    - the interface is not great. Categorisation is fairly loose and searching isn't the best.
    - lack of content, but as has been said about every three posts, will be sorted in time
    - Parental Controls are not great
    - I don't have a Facebook account. I wish I could remove the constant facebook-related links/login/etc
    - I check the Job Openings and they have nothing for me (i.e. 250k, 3 day week, watching movies) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

adox wrote: »
    Got this off another thread and it works a treat. Change your DNS settings on your PS3, reboot the PS3 then enter Netflix. When you hit the Netflic icon, hold down select and start and it will ask you if you want to re enter your log in details. Say yes, re enter your username and password that you set your Irish account up with and hey presto, you are on the US store. Huge difference in the library. :)

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291530-setting-up-ps3
    So how does this work? The site mentions a 7 day trial period but I just changed my DNS on the PS3 and was on US netflix straight away. Will it just get blocked after 7 days or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Playing around with the PS3 app and there's certainly a surprising amount of good stuff there, from classics to random indie oddities. I can see the current selection keeping me occupied for a few months at least. That said, the app needs some serious work. Would love a far more in-depth filter system, where I can define my search by criteria like country of origin and distributor (loads of old Tartan stuff up there) instead of genre.

My one major complaint is the anime is ****ing dubbed, and I sure as hell can't find an option to change it on PS3. There's not even any point when it's dubbed :( And I really wanted to watch Gurran Langen. The Japanese credits and dialogue free first minute were great!

I think Netflix in America is just beginning to add anime with the option to remove English dubs so there could be hope yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Mindkiller wrote: »
    So how does this work? The site mentions a 7 day trial period but I just changed my DNS on the PS3 and was on US netflix straight away. Will it just get blocked after 7 days or what?

Yes. It is really worth the few quid a month though as you can access other sites like Pandora and BBC iplayer etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement