Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

eigrod wrote: »
    And so it begins..........

www.irishrail.ie

close one third of a dart line for 50mm of rain (spread over 24 hours)...ridiculous, is this even a capital city? They should try and fix the infrastructure, 50mm is a lot but it shouldn't be enough to close a whole part of a dart line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Is it forecast to remain this torrential through out the evening in Dublin?
    andre2010 wrote: »
    Any chance of this dying out before 6pm today? foook sake its relentless here in dublin

It's forecast to stay about the same intensity until about 9pm and then easing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Bit more to come.

179106.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

Rougies wrote: »
    It's forecast to stay about the same intensity until about 9pm and then easing off.

Thanks for the update, crap, walking home from work, not gonna be fun, looks like im skipping the gym also! damnit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

51mm since midnight near Ballyknockan, Co. Wicklow. On top of 40mm yesterday.

Too much floodwater for the bridges so it's likely that some will be washed away later this evening. The roads are barely passable by 4x4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Is there an interference on radar? Odd area around carlow and wexford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Traffic is going to be mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

31.7mm here so far today, 33.3mm yesterday, lovely weather :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

John.Icy wrote: »

Yeah I;d say the Dublin radar is having trouble "seeing" over the Wicklow Mts with all the heavy rain up there. You can it more clearly on www.raintoday.co.uk

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Total since midnight has now reached 33.2mm and climbing fast. Combined with 43.1mm yesterday (up to midnight) total here now stands at 76.3mm or 3 inches old money.

Rain rate of 19.6mm/hr atm.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

So far how does this compare to november 99?
    I remember a rain front hung over the middle of the country and a lot of northern england too.
    It did last about 3-4 days though, but figures were about 200mm. It must be getting over 100mm for the 2 days in parts of wicklow now?

The dargle/dodder etc must be very swollen now.

Id swear Im hearing thunder, any one else?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I remember a rain front hung over the middle of the country and a lot of northern england too.
    It did last about 3-4 days though, but figures were about 200mm. It must be getting over 100mm for the 2 days in parts of wicklow now?

Dread to even think as its all elderly people down by it. Remember to check in on your elderly neighbours just for basic supplies. Also they need to have some heating on to get rid of the damp ( stop the lungs & chests reacting ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Fun for those having to drive home !

scaled.php?tn=0&server=737&filename=s4mwf.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It just gets heavier and heavier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

The dodder is very high at the moment. I,d say it will breach its banks in several places in the next few hours. The road behind Mt Carmel Hospital is flooded.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Kippure wrote: »
    The dodder is very high at the moment. I,d say it will breach its banks in several places in the next few hours. The road behind Mt Carmel Hospital is flooded.

Going to take a recce later. The Dodder floods very quickly but alos dissaptes very quickly. Dropping Well will be getting their sandbags ready!

37.0mm here now since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

the river out my back , there is usually a little waterfall there :eek:317323_290434847642635_100000283673378_1131502_1125949318_n.jpg

Casement has reported 23.0mm in the last hour (i.e. 4 to 5pm). :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Don't worry, it wasn't that deep splashing them. Had an evil moment, learner driver in front :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

(met.ie) 17:00 hrs Casement - 10 degrees, 23mm of rain :O

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Casement has reported 23.0mm in the last hour (i.e. 4 to 5pm). :eek:

i am very close to there its been unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Kippure wrote: »

Doesn't seem that way downstream where i am. Guess it will soon if you having it there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

http://t.co/vbL5x3X6

Cars were turning around here! Roebuck road, South Dublin.
    Scary amount of water! Sorry for blurry pic!

Dan :cool:

gurramok wrote: »
    Doesn't seem that way downstream where i am. Guess it will soon if you having it there :eek:

Plus high tide is at 21.18 tonight, 4.10 metres. The river will be VERY high around ballsbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So blurry it's invisible :p

Getting wild with the wind here the past hour...not as strong as last night. Rain has eased a bit for now. Wave front is in thr midst of starting to pvot now....interesting squall line to S of Cornwall and into the channel...

Now 62mm since midnight. Ballyknockan, Co.Wicklow. Total of 102mm since 9am yesterday.

Coles wrote: »
    Now 62mm since midnight. Ballyknockan, Co.Wicklow. Total of 102mm since 9am yesterday.

Is that right beside blessington lake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

After a dry morning persistent rain here last 2 hours. Nothing unusual in that for here.

Advertisement