Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

thegen wrote: »
    Around in Butterfield Drive, I know the little stream, it between the gardens in the Park and Charleville.

Exactly ;)

Full of Xmas trees and lawn cuttings I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This is the type of reporting me and Leahy and a few more were expecting to be delivering yesterday. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

71 mm fell at Casement this afternoon, bringing the 24-hour total to 87 mm.:eek:
    51 mm fell at Dublin Airport, bringing its 24-hour total to 67 mm.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynext?lang=en&state=Irel&rank=100&ano=2011&mes=10&day=24&hora=18&Send=send

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭lolie

Monsoon season here since yesterday morning and looking at met.ie radar no sign of it easing up. Noticed on the radar its not showing any rain over northern half of wexford all day. Would it have anything to do with the wicklow mountains blocking the radar signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

32mm here so far today. Total of the last 2 days is up to 68.8mm. Can't remember the last time i've seen so much water in the dargle!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at radar, looks like a clearance in the next hour maybe.

71.0mm now since midnight. 48hr total now 114.1mm. Peak rain rate of 87.2mm/hr at 19.09.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Haven't seen continuous rain this heavy in well, ever. Maybe in the US but not in Dublin.

It is still trucking it down.

Roads are treacherous and quickly becoming impassible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Just had a crazy walk from Baggot Street to Pearse Street just now ...it is all down hill and the flow of water along the paths & roads unreal. Canal street is living up to its name.

ps. why do so many crazy drivers feel the need to blow their horns , when they are not going to be going anywhere ?

Felt so sorry for some poor folk with flooded basements on Pearse street trying to pump out water. Water now coming up via the sewage drians and flowing down a ramp into our underground car park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The underground car park in the Merrion Shopping Centre was flooding a few hours ago, wouldn't care to think what its like now!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Haven't seen continuous rain this heavy in well, ever. Maybe in the US but not in Dublin.

It is still trucking it down.

Roads are treacherous and quickly becoming impassible.

Very Hurricane Charlie (having been around for that one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Friend just took this on N4.. Heading out towards parmerstown..:eek:

316833_10150443206316788_561026787_11117327_972753937_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Anyone been on the leixlip to maynooth road lately? Some serious floods building there about 5pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

lolie wrote: »
    Monsoon season here since yesterday morning and looking at met.ie radar no sign of it easing up. Noticed on the radar its not showing any rain over northern half of wexford all day. Would it have anything to do with the wicklow mountains blocking the radar signal?

Yes, the heavy rain near Dublin would reflect the majority of the radar signal, meaning that far off returns were minimal. The mountains had a shielding effect too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Just drove out and back in Finglas. Some very deep patches around the estates and seems to be a good few pipes or mains broke that are spewing water up in the air. Seen a few down in the east. If you don't know how to drive in this please stay at home. You're gonna cause accidents or cause yourself or others to get stuck. Had some drivers in front of me that really shouldn't have been out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

whitemocha wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmwtTcCw2CM

this was blessington road now just to note i videoed this after i had been through the worst of it this was mild

My car's undergarage cover has come away :(

just seen that video on another site, not sure if it's you or they are claiming it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Just off the N7 southbound it's down to one lane at kill. And I would not be surprised If it closes soon as that lane has about a foot of water in it.

3 hours from Newlands cross to Naas

Still intensity is the thing at the moment.

Radar would suggest a clearance soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

glossy wrote: »
    just seen that video on another site, not sure if it's you or they are claiming it is!

:):) nope we are the same person if the site is MM;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭emo72

I wonder how Lucan village will fare after the flood relief. Hell fire club post some pictures please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 smiler1990

huge parts of cabra getting severe flooding, up to people's knees in some parts!! Cant believe how bad it is! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

muletide wrote: »
    Just off the N7 southbound it's down to one lane at kill. And I would not be surprised If it closes soon as that lane has about a foot of water in it.

3 hours from Newlands cross to Naas

That would explain why Naas was quiet and I had an easy trip home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Kicking up a notch again the North east rain wise (it never really stopped, just became less heavy for a while)... and the wind hasn't eased off at all. easily 40-45mph gusts. Road outside is flooded now, but nothing like the pics posted here...but it's not for the want of trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

emo72 wrote: »
    I wonder how Lucan village will fare after the flood relief. Hell fire club post some pictures please.

If any part of the city is underwater Lucan is a sure bet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭emo72

If any part of the city is underwater Lucan is a sure bet

hope not. Kennys is my fave pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Now I know what RED on the met Rainfall Radar feels like.:o

wind is picking up here from the whest.

A little low is forming around Dublin a forecast.

Precip echoes intensify in the region on latest radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 BMSF

Is its going to be like this tomorrow morning/ afternoon in Dublin does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

well that was an interesting day :eek:. have a couple of fields under some water, and plenty of floods on the road

BMSF wrote: »
    Is its going to be like this tomorrow morning/ afternoon in Dublin does anyone know?

No, if it was we would all drown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

N7 at Kill was very bad not helped by drivers going too fast and causing huge bow waves. One car abandoned in middle lane and another at the Kill exit. The latter had water up to the wheel arches.
    Water was fast flowing too.
    Helluva lot of people speeding after the big ball. Wouldn't like to hit floodwater at 130 especially as visibility almost nil.

Advertisement