Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster flooding - 24th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭pauldry

924mm so far here!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

Ae there any chances of thunder with this downpour or even a few strikes of lightening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Properly bucketing down in Dundalk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Its lifting the manhole covers on coast road Monkstown

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

Very heavy in dublin 24. What direction is it moving in? From rainfall radar it's hard to tell, appears to be hovering in same place. What direction is it to clear in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Yeah it's raining a bit here in Finglas. Looks like it is from my window anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Monsoonal ark building type weather in E Dundalk.... the NE of the country looks to be the pivotal point around which the front/wave will rotate later this evening too. Gutters are filling faster than the downpipe can empty them here...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

burger1979 wrote: »
    Ae there any chances of thunder with this downpour or even a few strikes of lightening??

Met E have mentioned thunder in their forecasts, but no sign of any as yet.

Piddling down now as heavy as ever. 26.2mm since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

burger1979 wrote: »

A small chance of a few strikes. I wouldn't hold my breath though, more likely to not be any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

10mlizk.jpg

431951667.jpg

Highfield Road in Rathgar

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    Monsoonal ark building type weather in E Dundalk.... the NE of the country looks to be the pivotal point around which the front/wave will rotate later this evening too. Gutters are filling faster than the downpipe can empty them here...

It puzzles me every year when we have storms when leaves are being stripped from trees why the council have the roadsweepers out the week before but not when they're needed.

Hitting about 20mm here in the last couple of hours and it's just getting heavier.

Too busy up watering the hanging baskets above in Earl St, you see...

Jesus everytime i think "Oh it's easing off" there's another intensifcation.

Glad down our way doesn't flood much...wouldn't fancy being out in any of those new estates beside the river this evening...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You know what's going to happen? My forecast : It will be all over the news about flooding in Dublin and everybody else from outside Dublin will be havin' a fit! :pac:

28.4mm since midnight. Total for today and yesterday now 71.5mm. Getting near the 3inch mark.

Wertz wrote: »
    Jesus everytime i think "Oh it's easing off" there's another intensifcation.

Glad down our way doesn't flood much...wouldn't fancy being out in any of those new estates beside the river this evening...

The first line happened as I read it. :pac:

And don't be silly, how could boggy marshland on a floodplain ever flood? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

Thought it was easing off there but now still as bad, getting home from work and collecting kids is going to be fun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Rain is getting heavier in Athlone again. Similar to yesterday's rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dub56

Jeez,you wouldnt put your mother-in-law out in that.
    24.2mm so far to-day after 35.1mm yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

very heavy near Casement:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is it forecast to remain this torrential through out the evening in Dublin?

Lots of road flooding occurring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

And so it begins..........

www.irishrail.ie
    DART suspended Dun Laoghaire to Bray - flooding on line by Corporate Communications

15.50hrs, Monday 24th October

DART services are currently suspended between Dun Laoghaire and Bray due to flooding on the line.

Dublin Bus will accept rail tickets for customers affected.

We are monitoring water levels closely and will update this website and twitter with latest information.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Looks that way. There's no breeze at all so just seems to be lingering. Taking it's merry time in passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm guessing that there's no sign of it stopping soon? Can't see Rovers v UCD going ahead in Belfield tonight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Few spot floods on my travels today, did Swords-City-Malahide via M1/R107 - half the Malahide Rd blocked just North of Campions pub, that was the worst bit of flooding I came accross. Treacherous driving conditions throughout - the motorway visibility was as near as makes no difference to zero.

Folks if you're driving in this, please God turn on your lights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭positron

sdeire wrote: »
    Treacherous driving conditions throughout - the motorway visibility was as near as makes no difference to zero.

Darn!! I need to get from City Center to Drogheda...! Not looking forward to finishing work today..!

PS: On a motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

21mm yesterday and 11mm so far today.
    Rain quite heavy at the moment.
    Another 13mm since I posted this at 1420 less than 2 hours ago giving a total of 24mm for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dublinhead

very heavy near Casement:eek:

Sure is. Gone very dark. My estate is starting to flood.

sdeire wrote: »
    Folks if you're driving in this, please God turn on your lights!!

Yeah seriously...some amount of loons out there driving the kids home from school with not even the sidelights on.

120 on the mway is probably not a good idea either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Very heavy (at times torrential) rain has been relentless since lunchtime here in this part of Meath. Was raining moderately before that too. Road surfaces and fields showing up floods now.

Nearby stream has really filled up, will probably burst banks by this evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 237 ✭✭andre2010

Any chance of this dying out before 6pm today? foook sake its relentless here in dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

andre2010 wrote: »
    Any chance of this dying out before 6pm today? foook sake its relentless here in dublin

Don't think so. Not looking forward to motorbiking home. Could be worse....could be cycling.

Advertisement